PDA

View Full Version : Countdown to BA getting on with his life's work thread

stlrz d
01-03-2010, 08:48 PM
http://www.idiomsbykids.com/taylor/mrtaylor/class20022003/idioms/idioms2003/idioms3/number%20one.jpg

Jooser
01-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Zero can't come soon enough!

Ozey74
01-03-2010, 09:01 PM
I much as I hate to admit, I don't think he is going anywhere. Ben loves him, and Ben has some pull in the organization.

feltdizz
01-03-2010, 09:06 PM
I much as I hate to admit, I don't think he is going anywhere. Ben loves him, and Ben has some pull in the organization.

I feel the same way.. all he has to do is put together the 4th quarter video of the D to protect his job. If the D didn't blow 5 leads this year then people would have proof.

It's like pointing out Jeff Reeds terrible tackling on ST... it's not the reason our ST sucks.

I don't think anyone in management is looking at offensive production as the reason we missed the playoffs.

Hopefully we run more next year..

Shawn
01-03-2010, 09:09 PM
BA isn't going anywhere unfortunately.

feltdizz
01-03-2010, 09:13 PM

why? I'm just curious... and if he does it makes little sense to constantly bash him.. I

TCB
01-03-2010, 09:19 PM
1) I don't think he is going anywhere.

2) I don't think he should go.

Shawn
01-03-2010, 09:25 PM

why? I'm just curious... and if he does it makes little sense to constantly bash him.. I

Because I don't believe the coaches see it the way fans do. The O for the most part has played well despite popular belief. He is a year removed from a SB. He has a relationship with Ben.

With that said, I don't believe him to be the best man to get the most out of this O. But, I'm not the HC.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Bruce Arians blows as an OC. For all the stats, we are only 13th in scoring. 2nd year in a row our redzone offense is pathetic. We left 3 TD's on the field against Miami and settled for 3. Should have been 4 FG if Heath doesn't make a terrific catch.

I would like to see a stat for Bens passing numbers after initially being contacted. I wouldn't be shocked if 1,500 to 2,000 of his passing yards are after the play Arians calls goes to crap and Ben is running for his life. Is that Arians genius or Ben's athleticism?

Wonder if we had a better OC he would recognize our line blows, and our skill players can match up with damn near any team in the league, and design plays to get the ball in their hands much sooner after the snap and let them make plays with their legs.

feltdizz
01-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Bruce Arians blows as an OC. For all the stats, we are only 13th in scoring. 2nd year in a row our redzone offense is pathetic. We left 3 TD's on the field against Miami and settled for 3. Should have been 4 FG if Heath doesn't make a terrific catch.

I would like to see a stat for Bens passing numbers after initially being contacted. I wouldn't be shocked if 1,500 to 2,000 of his passing yards are after the play Arians calls goes to crap and Ben is running for his life. Is that Arians genius or Ben's athleticism?

Wonder if we had a better OC he would recognize our line blows, and our skill players can match up with damn near any team in the league, and design plays to get the ball in their hands much sooner after the snap and let them make plays with their legs.

Ben is going to take 50% of any OC's plays and go sandlot.. When you win 2 SB wins and 503 yards in one game and tons of highlights you don't make him unhappy.

stlrz d
01-03-2010, 09:48 PM

Ben is going to take 50% of any OC's plays and go sandlot.. When you win 2 SB wins and 503 yards in one game and tons of highlights you don't make him unhappy.

Please show your work.

Thank you. :)

BURGH86STEEL
01-03-2010, 09:55 PM

13th is an improvement over last season. The Colts were only 13th in PPG last season. Bet a lot of people don't realize that. In terms of scoring, there was not much difference between the Steelers and a few of the teams ahead of them this season. The Bengals finished below them in PPG.

Not sure if the red zone offense was better last season. Most of that falls on the players. There were always plays to be made in every situation. Sometimes the coaches put them in good situations and sometimes they don't. That's standard around the league.

Ben is usually running for his life because of execution(lack of blocking) mistakes or holding the ball to long. There are times he runs around because he does not see open WR. Sometimes the coverage is good or he refuses to take what the defense gave. The other guys get paid too. It is not simply one thing in particular (play calling as some suggest).

The line played much better this season. They had more stability this season then last season. It should continue into the future as long as they don't have the amount of injuries they had in 08.

Ultimately, it is up to the QB to get the ball into the play makers hand as quickly as possible. I really don't know what kind of offense people want to see. It seems the Cowher offense was not good enough. It seems that the Tomlin offense is not good enough. Both have proven to be effective. I look for the offense to grow even more next season.

The defense was the biggest issue for the team this season. If the defense has the same issues next season, we will see more of the same.

SteelBucks
01-03-2010, 10:10 PM

:Agree

A few coaches will be fired but IMO Arians won't be one of them.

feltdizz
01-03-2010, 10:18 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":1w6g53al]Bruce Arians blows as an OC. For all the stats, we are only 13th in scoring. 2nd year in a row our redzone offense is pathetic. We left 3 TD's on the field against Miami and settled for 3. Should have been 4 FG if Heath doesn't make a terrific catch.

[color=#FF0000]Ben is going to take 50% of any OC's plays and go sandlot.. When you win 2 SB wins and 503 yards in one game and tons of highlights you don't make him unhappy.

Please show your work.

Thank you. :)[/quote:1w6g53al]

His name is freaking Big Ben... Do you even watch the games? He is known for extending plays, everyone see's this but you?

The guy said half of Ben's yards are all Ben.. He has roughly 4100 yards...If anything I'm being generous with saying 50% it's probably more...

Why are you so a.nal?

stlrz d
01-03-2010, 10:37 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":15wws6el]Bruce Arians blows as an OC. For all the stats, we are only 13th in scoring. 2nd year in a row our redzone offense is pathetic. We left 3 TD's on the field against Miami and settled for 3. Should have been 4 FG if Heath doesn't make a terrific catch.

[color=#FF0000]Ben is going to take 50% of any OC's plays and go sandlot.. When you win 2 SB wins and 503 yards in one game and tons of highlights you don't make him unhappy.

Please show your work.

Thank you. :)

His name is freaking Big Ben... Do you even watch the games? He is known for extending plays, everyone see's this but you?

The guy said half of Ben's yards are all Ben.. He has roughly 4100 yards...If anything I'm being generous with saying 50% it's probably more...

Why are you so a.nal?[/quote:15wws6el]

I watch every game but it's apparent you don't.

And I'm not the one who throws around these "percentage" posts without anything to back them. But you do.

First off, your post has no basis in fact because you don't know the percentage. Secondly, your post implies that Ben chooses to ignore the play and just improvises right from the get go. Most of the time when I see Ben attempting to extend a play it's because either no one is open, he has someone in his face or a combination thereof.

papillon
01-03-2010, 10:56 PM
BA should stay and has earned the right to stay; his unit did its job this year for the most part. They had a couple bad games, but by and large they put up more than enough points to win games.

Pappy

Chadman
01-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Does anyone wonder how effective the Offense would be, how effective Arians' playcalling would be, if the Steelers OL was better?

What if Ben wasn't running for his life/ getting sacked all game?

Equal highest amount of sacks allowed for the season on an 'improved' line. Were the Steelers highest in sacks last year too?

Sack Larry Z, and scrap the Zone Blocking that won't work so long as the Steelers continue to put bohemoths on the OL- too slow to really pull the Zone Blocking off. Look at the #1 Zone Blocking schemes over the last few years (Denver in particular)- smaller, faster OL players. If the FO won't fully COMMIT to Zone Blocking- don't half-arse it- scrap it & use a system that suits the Hogs on the field.

If Arians still fails- then you fire him.

Steelgal
01-03-2010, 11:06 PM
I just think with all the weapons we have, our offense could do better. We'd have a better running game if Arians wasn't opposed to using a fullback. Our running game has been hurt because of Arian's stubbornness. If we had the ability to hold onto the ball longer, the defense wouldn't be so tired come the 4th quarter and maybe the 4th quarter results would be better. I know the league has changed and they're aren't a lot of smash mouth teams and I'm okay with that. But when you need to run the ball, by gosh you should be able to. Some of it is the playcalling and some the O-line play. The lack of running productivity has led to less than stellar red zone conversions too.

As for Ben liking him, that might only go so far. Ben needs someone that won't be his buddy, but his coach. Someone to tell him to get in the film study room and learn to read defenses better.

I think we put up points this year, in spite of Arians. He's far from being the only reason for the collapse, but would do better without him. But what do I know, I'm a girl :Boobs

Chadman
01-03-2010, 11:21 PM
There was a comment that Tomlin made in regards to that really weird 3rd & short pass play call the other day against the Ravens, you know- the one where Ben got sacked with the empty backfield?

Tomlin explained the reason they decided pre-game to pass in those situations is because Rashard Mendenhall is 'not getting it done' on short yardage.

How many drives would be kept alive if the Steelers had a short yardage RB they can bring in for those 2 yards bulldozer runs?

It was a rostering mistake to enter the season with Mendenhall backed up by two small, quick, slasher runners & no bulldozer, if the coaches had decided that Mendy can't convert 3rd & short effectively.

Look for that to be fixed this off season.

So- if that is fixed- just how many of those 3rd & short's would the Steelers be able to convert?

And how would that effect Arians' playcalling ability?

Shawn
01-03-2010, 11:30 PM
Does anyone wonder how effective the Offense would be, how effective Arians' playcalling would be, if the Steelers OL was better?

Equal highest amount of sacks allowed for the season on an 'improved' line. Were the Steelers highest in sacks last year too?

Sack Larry Z, and scrap the Zone Blocking that won't work so long as the Steelers continue to put bohemoths on the OL- too slow to really pull the Zone Blocking off. Look at the #1 Zone Blocking schemes over the last few years (Denver in particular)- smaller, faster OL players. If the FO won't fully COMMIT to Zone Blocking- don't half-arse it- scrap it & use a system that suits the Hogs on the field.

Our OL is the lesser of our worries this season. They are not stellar but they are average which is an improvement over last season. We have some young developing talent and will continue to improve. Mendenhall had a terrific season running behind this line and the OL can not be blamed for all the sack issues.

Shawn
01-03-2010, 11:30 PM

Our OL is the lesser of our worries this season. They are not stellar but they are average which is an improvement over last season. We have some young developing talent and will continue to improve. Mendenhall had a terrific season running behind this line and the OL can not be blamed for all the sack issues.

Steelgal
01-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Just read this Tweet from Jim Wexell, he's a Steeler's reporter.

"On Arians, Rooney was letting Tomlin proceed as sees fit, but I was told "new investorss making diff culture around here" meaning he goes."

So we'll see if he's right.

feltdizz
01-03-2010, 11:36 PM
What about Redman? We all wanted him..

I don't buy it though.. BA+Ben = pass

Mend can get a hard yard if we really pushed the run blocking more..

but it's all about the pass right now and when you look back on the season it was pretty productive.

feltdizz
01-03-2010, 11:39 PM

"On Arians, Rooney was letting Tomlin proceed as sees fit, but I was told "new investorss making diff culture around here" meaning he goes."

key word.. investors..

stlrz d
01-03-2010, 11:48 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/frankencat/misc/1557.jpg

BURGH86STEEL
01-04-2010, 12:09 AM

If the investors are anything like Dan Snyder..............

I don't think new investors can come in and mess with a organization that has shown the ability to win with patience. If this happens, it might be the down fall of the Steelers as we know them. This is what a lot of fans were concerned with when the other Rooneys wanted out.

Some fans will side with this way of thinking because it fits the bill of getting rid of BA.

birtikidis
01-04-2010, 12:14 AM

what if we did what the o line was built for? like run the ball? why keep banging your head against the wall and ask them to pass protect 30+ times a game when you can run the ball?

papillon
01-04-2010, 12:16 AM

If the "investors" are allowed to get involved in the football operations the team and organization will suffer tremendously. While I was happy to see the Rooneys still involved I was not happy to see so many investors being brought in as well. The chances are very high that they have no idea how to run a successful football team and that includes John Stallworth.

The investors should stay just that, investors. They get to sit in the owners box and hob nob with the celebrities that stop by and have a grand old time. That's where their involvement should end.

Pappy

feltdizz
01-04-2010, 12:19 AM

what if we did what the o line was built for? like run the ball? why keep banging your head against the wall and ask them to pass protect 30+ times a game when you can run the ball?

Because Ben is the QB..

Djfan
01-04-2010, 12:41 AM
BA is a retard in my book and always will be. Lose the loser.

Chadman
01-04-2010, 01:07 AM

Then we'd all complain that the Steelers don't use their best player enough. There really isn't anything WRONG with passing 30+ times a game when you have a QB of Ben's quality.

You see? There is NO WAY Arians can win an argument in Pittsburgh with it's fans- we'll bash him regardless.

buckeyehoppy
01-04-2010, 02:18 AM
If you look at Bruce Arians historically, then you'll have to realize that the running game is going to get short shrift most of the time.

And it isn't like our OL is fully capable of striking a balance between run and pass blocking. Some block for the run better than for the pass and vice versa. It may be the biggest indictment of or current OL coach and the scheme he employs. It's prolly why Larry Z gets shown the door.

At the end of the day, BA is ultimately responsible for all elements of his offense. And it is an offense that contains little imagination, but is chock full of predictability. It's prolly a big reason Ben slips back into "backyard football" mode as often as he does.

We can all blame the D all we want. Gee, I wonder what happens if we even just have a healthy Aaron Smith this year? But for all the bailouts of slipshod D the O provided, it could have done more. As good as our O was this year compared to last (and, statistically, it WAS improved) did it provide a greater win percentage? At the end of the day, the stats ring empty.

NWNewell
01-04-2010, 07:15 AM

Then we'd all complain that the Steelers don't use their best player enough. There really isn't anything WRONG with passing 30+ times a game when you have a QB of Ben's quality.

You see? There is NO WAY Arians can win an argument in Pittsburgh with it's fans- we'll bash him regardless.

I agree and don't have much of a problem passing 30+ times a game when we have Ben and the WR core that the we do. But I do have a problem with some of the formations and situational play calling.

We pass way to often out of empty sets on first down and on downs where we could easily run the ball. I hate that we telegraph the play and don't have the extra protection. I realize we have a good WR core and it's tough to mach up across the board and we get some miss matches by spreading them out, but I think it's too often done at improper times.

And I hate when we try to pass 3 straight times when it's first and goal... especaily from the 5... or 6. Mendenhall has proven to be a tough runner and while he may not always make big runs, he usually gets positive yards. It's too congested down there to always be doing 4 wide.

It's the situational play call and some mis-use of formations that bother me, not the mear fact that we pass 55% of the time.

Better situational play calling would help the redzone and 3rd down deficiencies, IMO.

Jooser
01-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Na, Na, Na, NA
Na, Na, Na, NA,

HEY, HEY...

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp211/azngurlnt/goodbye.jpg

So long sucker.

stlrz d
01-04-2010, 09:42 AM
http://www.balloonmaniacs.com/images/balloonstwoballoon.jpg

birtikidis
01-04-2010, 03:01 PM

Arians CAN win in an arguement. why pass the ball 49 times at home in december?
BALANCE chadman BALANCE. you have to keep the defense honest.
I've learned one thing coaching football. adapt your playcalling to your players not your players to your playcalling.
Sure we have a great qb. thing is he can't throw the ball from his back. our o line is not built to throw the ball it's built to run. so what's bruce arians do? He forces 5 guys to play HIS way instead of asking ONE guy to do something he's already proven capable of doing.
btw we missed the playoffs with a good team... so there IS something wrong with passing 30+ times a game.

RuthlessBurgher
01-04-2010, 03:34 PM

If the investors are anything like Dan Snyder..............

I don't think new investors can come in and mess with a organization that has shown the ability to win with patience. If this happens, it might be the down fall of the Steelers as we know them. This is what a lot of fans were concerned with when the other Rooneys wanted out.

Some fans will side with this way of thinking because it fits the bill of getting rid of BA.

The new investors are not majority owners that have any decision-making power. They can talk all that they want, but those words mean about as much as what most of us are saying on here. The successful Rooney method of ownership is to trust your football people to make football decisions. Tomlin has a say and Colbert has a say, and they may consult with Art II on certain things, but that will be it. The Rooneys are not meddlesome owners. They see the follies that result from other meddlesome owners who think they know it all, turning their teams into their own little fantasy squads. The new investors should have their hands full running their chains of truck stops, producing Hollywood movies, etc.

NW Steeler
01-04-2010, 03:54 PM

I agree and don't have much of a problem passing 30+ times a game when we have Ben and the WR core that the we do. But I do have a problem with some of the formations and situational play calling.

We pass way to often out of empty sets on first down and on downs where we could easily run the ball. I hate that we telegraph the play and don't have the extra protection. I realize we have a good WR core and it's tough to mach up across the board and we get some miss matches by spreading them out, but I think it's too often done at improper times.

And I hate when we try to pass 3 straight times when it's first and goal... especaily from the 5... or 6. Mendenhall has proven to be a tough runner and while he may not always make big runs, he usually gets positive yards. It's too congested down there to always be doing 4 wide.

It's the situational play call and some mis-use of formations that bother me, not the mear fact that we pass 55% of the time.

Better situational play calling would help the redzone and 3rd down deficiencies, IMO.

It's bad enough when you pass 3 times when you have a first and goal. It is exponentially worse when you don't even throw one of those passes past the goaline! That was some horsesh!t playcalling yesterday.

Steelerphile
01-04-2010, 05:35 PM
The last two games of the year, I thought the offensive play calling was good. So, if the head coach goes by what he saw last, then BA very well will be with us again next year. Maybe Tomlin will conclude he can gameplan with him enough that things will continue to improve.

If he goes through the entire year, and evaluates the bad calls in crucial situations which cost the Steelers chances to get a victory, when only one more was needed, He may come to the conclusion that a fresh outlook would be beneficial.

Personally I think a fresh perspective would be good. Pitt benefitted when Cavanaugh left. He probably wouldn't have been fired though.

I think a coaching staff can get stagnant. There really needs to be change, and Tomlin has kept the staff intact since he came. I personally hope they never get rid of LeBeau or change out of the 3-4; so, the OC is the likely candidate.

proudpittsburgher
01-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Personally, I would rather keep things as they are and keep BB familiar with the offense and let him build around an offense which he is pretty comfortable with. People tend to pick apart three or four play calls a game and want to fire a guy because of them. The fact is the Steelers offense got us to 9-7 this season. And with just one defensive stand in the fourth quarter in any one of 6 games this season or any oen of two short Jeff Reed field goals against Chicago, we would be talking playoffs right now. But we are not. There will be changes in the coaching staff, most likely on ST, but I think Lebeau and BA are safe, and I am fine with that.

BURGH86STEEL
01-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Personally, I would rather keep things as they are and keep BB familiar with the offense and let him build around an offense which he is pretty comfortable with. People tend to pick apart three or four play calls a game and want to fire a guy because of them. The fact is the Steelers offense got us to 9-7 this season. And with just one defensive stand in the fourth quarter in any one of 6 games this season or any oen of two short Jeff Reed field goals against Chicago, we would be talking playoffs right now. But we are not. There will be changes in the coaching staff, most likely on ST, but I think Lebeau and BA are safe, and I am fine with that.

The offense is designed around Ben for good or bad. I agree that people tend to pick apart a few bad calls per game. We can do the same for every play caller in the league. No one will ever agree 100% of the time with the play calling. I've said that over and over again.

Some people seem to forget a lot of the good calls that do actually work. The offense showed improvement over last season. I don't believe they have reached their full potential yet. Tomlin will not disrupt that because some fans disagree with some play calls. For all we know, Tomlin made some of those decisions himself.

feltdizz
01-04-2010, 08:08 PM

It's bad enough when you pass 3 times when you have a first and goal. It is exponentially wprse when you don't even throw one of those passes past the goaline! That was some horsesh!t playcalling yesterday.

Ben throws the passes..

are you scared to criticize Ben directly?

feltdizz
01-04-2010, 08:09 PM

The offense is designed around Ben for good or bad. I agree that people tend to pick apart a few bad calls per game. We can do the same for every play caller in the league. No one will ever agree 100% of the time with the play calling. I've said that over and over again.

Some people seem to forget a lot of the good calls that do actually work. The offense showed improvement over last season. I don't believe they have reached their full potential yet. Tomlin will not disrupt that because some fans disagree with some play calls. For all we know, Tomlin made some of those decisions himself.

The good calls are all Ben...

NW Steeler
01-05-2010, 01:27 AM
It's bad enough when you pass 3 times when you have a first and goal. It is exponentially wprse when you don't even throw one of those passes past the goaline! That was some horsesh!t playcalling yesterday.

Ben throws the passes..

If Ben deserves the criticism, then he should get it. But weren't those plays designed to go exactly where he threw them? I WILL say that the play they ran against Green Bay (the quick pass to Mewelde) was nice. But they ran three plays yesterday and on all three they did not pass it beyond the goaline. I think Arians has some good points. And like anyone else, he has some bad points as well. Like his insistence with the empty backfield and the playcalling in the red zone. I don't know if firing Arians is the answer. But the offense seems to be pretty erratic to me. Some of it is the playcalling, some of it is the execution. So maybe you are right, there is blame to be spread around.

BURGH86STEEL
01-05-2010, 09:23 AM
[quote="NW Steeler":kmlh6yk7]

Ben throws the passes..

If Ben deserves the criticism, then he should get it. But weren't those plays designed to go exactly where he threw them? I WILL say that the play they ran against Green Bay (the quick pass to Mewelde) was nice. But they ran three plays yesterday and on all three they did not pass it beyond the goaline. I think Arians has some good points. And like anyone else, he has some bad points as well. Like his insistence with the empty backfield and the playcalling in the red zone. I don't know if firing Arians is the answer. But the offense seems to be pretty erratic to me. Some of it is the playcalling, some of it is the execution. So maybe you are right, there is blame to be spread around.[/quote:kmlh6yk7]

The plays are not always designed where the QB goes with the ball. That's why there are usually more then 2 WR's running routes. The defense also has an impact based on the coverage they play.

I agree that Arians make some good calls, questionable calls, and bad calls. That statement is pretty typical of every play caller around the league.

I remember a time when some fans called for 5 WR sets. I don't like the empty set myself. I believe he runs the empty set for more then one reason. Ben likes to run it. In theory, it should make Ben's reads easier because it spreads out the defense. The formation should give Ben a clearly defined read where he should go with the ball. Sometimes things work out and sometimes they don't. There are reasons they run that formation even though some fans don't like it.

Some of it is bad play calling. IMO, most of the problem is on the execution side. I can count numerous opportunities that the players missed out on because of poorly thrown balls, penalties, dropped passes, missed/poor blocks, and so on.

stlrz d
01-05-2010, 09:39 AM
http://readaturrisk.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/number3bnw.jpg

papillon
01-05-2010, 09:55 AM
I've mentioned this in another thread, but it's worth reiterating in this one. The play just before halftime of the Ravens' game two weeks ago looked like a beautifully executed play to me and probably to 99% of the fans that were watching the game. The corner blitzed, it appeared that Ben and Santonio read the blitz, made the pass and Holmes gets YAC and scores a TD. It looked exactly as you would draw it up during the week. I watched the game again on NFLN and they interviewed Ben about the play. His words were that the only thing that was done correctly during the play was the fact that it ended up a TD.

This is proof positive that, as fans, we know very little about what is happening on the field, who calls the plays, who changes the play and even more importantly each players' assignment on any given play. Bruce Arians may or may not call the best plays, Ben may or may not audible into plays that Bruce doesn't want him to call, we have no idea what goes on during a game. What they see from the defense via pictures, via replay, via coaches in he booth, etc is what determines how a game is called. We see plays that fail and assume that Ben, Arians, a guard, tackle or center have made a mistake and attempt to determine without the benefit of all the information available to the coaches who screwed up. It can't be done. A game is called based on things we have no idea about.

Just my two cents

Pappy

proudpittsburgher
01-05-2010, 11:17 AM
I've mentioned this in another thread, but it's worth reiterating in this one. The play just before halftime of the Ravens' game two weeks ago looked like a beautifully executed play to me and probably to 99% of the fans that were watching the game. The corner blitzed, it appeared that Ben and Santonio read the blitz, made the pass and Holmes gets YAC and scores a TD. It looked exactly as you would draw it up during the week. I watched the game again on NFLN and they interviewed Ben about the play. His words were that the only thing that was done correctly during the play was the fact that it ended up a TD.

This is proof positive that, as fans, we know very little about what is happening on the field, who calls the plays, who changes the play and even more importantly each players' assignment on any given play. Bruce Arians may or may not call the best plays, Ben may or may not audible into plays that Bruce doesn't want him to call, we have no idea what goes on during a game. What they see from the defense via pictures, via replay, via coaches in he booth, etc is what determines how a game is called. We see plays that fail and assume that Ben, Arians, a guard, tackle or center have made a mistake and attempt to determine without the benefit of all the information available to the coaches who screwed up. It can't be done. A game is called based on things we have no idea about.

Just my two cents

Pappy

I'm in total agreement with you pappy. I will be the first to admit that there are many on this board who know more about the X's and O's of the game than I do, although I think I have a pretty good practical knowlege of the game. But there are many whom you will never convince that they don't know everything there is to know. There is way too much involved int he game, and th eoffense is putting way too many points on the board for our OC to be horrible at what he does. I am sure there are good plays and bad plays called, but for the most part, our offense is successful to NFL standards. And for what we have, I would rather have a coordinator whom Ben is confortabel with when starting over with a new guy.

Steeler Mafia
01-05-2010, 11:34 AM
As a wise man once stated on these boards....

Bruce Arians......Life's Work......Get to it!

SteelAbility
01-05-2010, 11:41 AM

Arians CAN win in an arguement. why pass the ball 49 times at home in december?
BALANCE chadman BALANCE. you have to keep the defense honest.
I've learned one thing coaching football. adapt your playcalling to your players not your players to your playcalling.
Sure we have a great qb. thing is he can't throw the ball from his back. our o line is not built to throw the ball it's built to run. so what's bruce arians do? He forces 5 guys to play HIS way instead of asking ONE guy to do something he's already proven capable of doing.
btw we missed the playoffs with a good team... so there IS something wrong with passing 30+ times a game.

VERY ... WELL ... STATED. :Clap

SteelAbility
01-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Did I mention that your JOB is on the line???

feltdizz
01-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Our offense is erratic because Ben is an erratic QB... this is why we love him, hate him, then love him again all on one freakin play.

Once again... some ask for more balance on offense with the run/pass ratio... but if you go back to the threads that ask for more running....
you will see some of the same people screaming for runs in here now were defending the passes back then...

I asked for MORE running plays 4 to 5 weeks ago during the 5 losses but made the mistake of saying "because Ben tends too.." INSTEAD OF SAYING "because Arians always..." and the experts went nuts with passing stats and league rules...

it's obvious BA will always be the villain on plays that don't work.. and the villain when they do work.

stlrz d
01-06-2010, 09:54 AM
http://www.martinelkort.com/photographs/abstracts/Number4.jpg

feltdizz
01-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Very creative number 4...

Will you keep this going every day until after next season?

BURGH86STEEL
01-06-2010, 08:10 PM

Just my two cents

Pappy

One reason why I am big on execution.

stlrz d
01-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Very creative number 4...

Will you keep this going every day until after next season?

Yup.

stlrz d
01-07-2010, 09:45 AM
http://homedir-a.libsyn.com/podcasts/20096ff8209a5bef6574bcf697a5f6f4/4b4564fd/soonerthought/images/5.png

stlrz d
01-08-2010, 09:26 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/118/298648939_9475769085.jpg

feltdizz
01-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Mods.. Is it possible to add music to this electric company display of short bus spelling?

Steeler Mafia
01-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Hope you have a plethera of those numbers, Stlrz D. Looks like we will have another whole year to go before there is any moving on to life's work.

feltdizz
01-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Hope you have a plethera of those numbers, Stlrz D. Looks like we will have another whole year to go before there is any moving on to life's work.

I'm concerned. Dude is going to go crazy counting the days...

birtikidis
01-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Our offense is erratic because Ben is an erratic QB... this is why we love him, hate him, then love him again all on one freakin play.

Once again... some ask for more balance on offense with the run/pass ratio... but if you go back to the threads that ask for more running....
you will see some of the same people screaming for runs in here now were defending the passes back then...

I asked for MORE running plays 4 to 5 weeks ago during the 5 losses but made the mistake of saying "because Ben tends too.." INSTEAD OF SAYING "because Arians always..." and the experts went nuts with passing stats and league rules...

it's obvious BA will always be the villain on plays that don't work.. and the villain when they do work.
again I disagree. I don't think Ben is an erratic qb. Arians seems to think that he has Peyton Manning as his qb. when in fact they are nearly the opposite guy. peyton will change the play to what the d gives him whereas ben will take the play call and try to make it work. Peyton is extremely cerebral whereas ben is a back yard kinda guy. thing is, he's a playmaker but the offense isn't playing to his strengths. sure he had 4000+ yards but who cares. he also threw the ball 42 times against the browns and 49 times against the packers. my old man used to say "if you throw enough sh*t against the wall some of it will stick" well i guess arians heard that too, because the reason we have such great offensive stats is because we force it so much. do you know why we gave up 22 points against green bay in the 4th quarter? I do. Do you know why we lost to the browns? I do. do you know why we lost to the bengals twice? i do.
and guess what, it wasn't the defenses fault.

feltdizz
01-08-2010, 03:51 PM

again I disagree. I don't think Ben is an erratic qb. Arians seems to think that he has Peyton Manning as his qb. when in fact they are nearly the opposite guy. peyton will change the play to what the d gives him whereas ben will take the play call and try to make it work. Peyton is extremely cerebral whereas ben is a back yard kinda guy. thing is, he's a playmaker but the offense isn't playing to his strengths. sure he had 4000+ yards but who cares. he also threw the ball 42 times against the browns and 49 times against the packers. my old man used to say "if you throw enough sh*t against the wall some of it will stick" well i guess arians heard that too, because the reason we have such great offensive stats is because we force it so much. do you know why we gave up 22 points against green bay in the 4th quarter? I do. Do you know why we lost to the browns? I do. do you know why we lost to the bengals twice? i do.

Ben is very erratic... he will slice a team up.. then turn around and throw a wild 3 yard pass over Mends head..

He will be in a groove then take a coverage sack on 2nd and 4..
It happens but there is a reason Ben had 46 sacks with Faneca and Hartings...

Maybe I'm watching a different game but I see our offense make plays.. and also make mistakes. The natural tendencies of football..

I see the D play well or decent for 3 qtrs... then turn into something else in the 4th..

The job of one is to score and the others is to stop teams from scoring...
I'm sorry but I saw the offense doing a better job this year.

BURGH86STEEL
01-08-2010, 03:54 PM

The offense is designed around formations and plays Ben likes to run. Ben is in on the game planning. It is what one should expect out of an OC that works well with his QB. So, will you say that doing things the QB likes plays to his strengths? Why do you think Ben likes him so much? I think most fans will agree that BA attempts to design plays to Ben's strengths.

"The reason we have such great offensive stats is because we for it so much." Now that is a first. IMO, that comment does not make much sense.

They gave up 22 points to the Packers cause the defense was bad in the 4th QT. Was not the first time this season. It was so bad Tomlin loss confidence in the defense.

They loss to the Browns because the whole team was bad. Offense, defense, and special teams.

The 1st loss to the Bengals falls on the defense. They gave up the game winning TD. They could not get off the field on 4th and 10. 2nd Bengals loss was a combination of things.

Most of the losses were because the defense could not make stops at the end of games. In the grand scheme of things, they won and loss games as a team.

They will not make the post season next season if the defense continues to give up big plays, can't make stops at the end of games, and create more turnovers. IMO, the defense is the biggest concern heading into the draft and next season.

birtikidis
01-08-2010, 04:09 PM
I think the pick six in teh first cincy game was just as bad as the defense. huge swing.
how does the statement "we have such good stats because we pass so much" not make sense? more attempts mean more yards.
should the OC gameplan for only one player? since ben likes bruce we should gameplan to what ben likes? I'll bet you that ifyou asked all 5 offensive lineman and the rb they would say they like to run the ball more.
22 points against the packers was because they refused to commit to the run not because the defense was so bad. you can only give a guy like aaron rogers so many chances before he scores. 49 pass attempts in pittsburgh in december is not a formula for success. anyone can tell you that.
loss to the browns was not because the whole team was bad. the offense was terrible in that game. and the browns were missing 5 starters from their d. pathetic. worst run defense in the game (plus rogers was out) and we throw 42 passes. wtf.

BURGH86STEEL
01-08-2010, 04:39 PM
I think the pick six in teh first cincy game was just as bad as the defense. huge swing.
how does the statement "we have such good stats because we pass so much" not make sense? more attempts mean more yards.
should the OC gameplan for only one player? since ben likes bruce we should gameplan to what ben likes? I'll bet you that ifyou asked all 5 offensive lineman and the rb they would say they like to run the ball more.
22 points against the packers was because they refused to commit to the run not because the defense was so bad. you can only give a guy like aaron rogers so many chances before he scores. 49 pass attempts in pittsburgh in december is not a formula for success. anyone can tell you that.
loss to the browns was not because the whole team was bad. the offense was terrible in that game. and the browns were missing 5 starters from their d. pathetic. worst run defense in the game (plus rogers was out) and we throw 42 passes. wtf.

You wrote, "force it so much."

More attempts does not necessarily mean more yards. Seattle threw(609) the ball more than anyone else but only had 3,500 yards passing. Colts passed 601 times for 4515 yards. Cards passed it 594 for 4016 yards. Steelers passed it 536 times for 4148. It is probably more important what happens with those attempts then the number of attempts. You can look up the other team's stats if you like.

If you are the OC of a team with a very good or great QB, who would you design most of the game plan around? The QB is the one player that has the greatest impact on the game MORE then any other player. The Colts, Pats, Saints, Eagles, Vikes, Cards, Texans, Packers, and Chargers design a majority of their game plans around their QB's.

So, I expect you wanted the team to continue to run the ball against a tough Packers run defense? I can hear the fans now, "Why didn't they let Ben throw it. The run was going no where." Packers finished number 1 in the league against the run. It appears the pass had more success against the Packers. I doubt the Steelers could had ran out the clock. It appears to me that teams can pass the ball in the cold weather. These old adages that fans hang onto will eventually die one day.

What is not a formula for success is the defenses inability to make stops at the end of games. That my friend was the one big difference between this season and last season.

I don't get caught up into who was in or out for other teams. Those players made it to the NFL. That means those players can play. The whole team was bad against the Browns:

The defense was unable to stop the one player they knew they had to stop (Cribs). Overall the defense gave up 169 yards rushing (8 for 87 to Cribs). You are incorrect if do not think that was an issue.

The offensive line had their issues blocking the Browns up front. Ben did not play well. I can point to other areas of the offense but it was bad all around.

Special teams gave up a 55 yard punt return and 32 yard kick return (Cribs again).

Those issues and others from all 3 phases is why I said it was a bad team loss.

birtikidis
01-08-2010, 05:01 PM
I would gameplan to my strengths as a TEAM. not one player.
you say our line had trouble blocking the browns front seven. so why run 5 wide on 3rd and 1?
sure all the players made it to the NFL BUT that doesn't mean they're very good. hell ryan leaf made it to the NFL. when one of hte best DL in the game are out wouldn't you think that you should game plan against their weakness?
yea we didn't have as many attempts as Seastle or any of those other teams, but how many more pass plays were called? we DID lead the league in sacks after all.

cruzer8
01-08-2010, 05:01 PM
People saying Ben is erratic should start watching other NFL games before forming such an opinion.

feltdizz
01-08-2010, 05:03 PM

Aaron Rodgers will score... but not 22 points in the 4th freaking quarter...

Has anyone given up 22 points in the fourth quarter this year? You really don't think our 4th quarter D was bad?

...and you think anything else you say will be taken seriously? C'mon.. you can blame BA all you want.. but you cannot say the D wasn't bad while doing it. There is nothing good about giving up game winning TD's in 7 to 8 games in the same fashion, all in the 4th quarter.. and 4 in a row at one point.

feltdizz
01-08-2010, 05:17 PM
People saying Ben is erratic should start watching other NFL games before forming such an opinion.

Who cares about those other QB's... It's my opinion of Ben as a Steeler..
he is erratic... very good, often amazing, but also plays down to competition...

feltdizz
01-08-2010, 05:19 PM
I would gameplan to my strengths as a TEAM. not one player.
you say our line had trouble blocking the browns front seven. so why run 5 wide on 3rd and 1?
sure all the players made it to the NFL BUT that doesn't mean they're very good. hell ryan leaf made it to the NFL. when one of hte best DL in the game are out wouldn't you think that you should game plan against their weakness?
yea we didn't have as many attempts as Seastle or any of those other teams, but how many more pass plays were called? we DID lead the league in sacks after all.

and more sacks force us to call more passing plays...

but regardless... Ben is our leader..

birtikidis
01-08-2010, 05:24 PM
I never said the defense didn't play poorly this year. I still believe that if we didn't go three and out so many times in the 4th quarter (whilst passing thus stopping the clock) Green Bay would not have had the time to score 22 points. but what do I know. I guess two possessions that took less then a minute off the clock each isn't the problem.
the thread was about BA so i've tried to stick to the BA aspect.

birtikidis
01-08-2010, 05:25 PM
I've always assumed that the less the other team has the ball the more likely they are to not score points. I could be wrong though.

feltdizz
01-08-2010, 05:28 PM
I've always assumed that the less the other team has the ball the more likely they are to not score points. I could be wrong though.

TOP was 4th in the league.. I know it can be skewed though.. somehow.

cruzer8
01-08-2010, 05:35 PM

Who cares about those other QB's... It's my opinion of Ben as a Steeler..
he is erratic... very good, often amazing, but also plays down to competition...

You should care. Because you might learn something by caring. And by learning you may just stop posting such ridiculous opinions and conspiracy theories.

feltdizz
01-08-2010, 05:39 PM
I never said the defense didn't play poorly this year. I still believe that if we didn't go three and out so many times in the 4th quarter (whilst passing thus stopping the clock) Green Bay would not have had the time to score 22 points. but what do I know. I guess two possessions that took less then a minute off the clock each isn't the problem.
the thread was about BA so i've tried to stick to the BA aspect.

I didn't go any further then the praise you gave for the D in the GB game regarding the D. They weren't good in the 4th.. I merely disagreed. I get the feeling that in BA threads the D can't get criticized.. but in D threads.. anyway...

The problem with our team is we aren't built to run with our OL... I agree we should be..but also remember we do not have Bettis and GB has a damn good run D. The days of lining up when we want to and running even if the D knows it are gone. It may work against lesser teams but not against stout run D's....

hopefully our OL coach gets these guys blocking better in the run.. but I doubt we ever become what we were with Bettis because he was a HOF. Ben is our Bettis and it's a chance we take passing.. but it has also helped us get SB rings so...just sayin'

3rd and 2 in KC and we run a sweep with Moore.. I didn't like it.. but that is the rub.. when is it OK to call a run? When is it OK to call a pass? I think we are calling plays to move the chains.. unfortunately when they don't work it doesn't grind clock.. when it does? We are scoring too quickly..

I think if the other side did their job like we know they are capable the frustration levels would be lower this year regarding the offense.

birtikidis
01-08-2010, 05:41 PM

TOP was 4th in the league.. I know it can be skewed though.. somehow.
it can be. easily. throw a pick six here allow a kick return for a td there. allow the 4th most return yards per kick/punt return in the NFL. playing very poorly situational football. take sacks on 3rd and 1 against the browns (twice). you know that kinda crap.