PDA

View Full Version : They don't deserve to be in the playoffs

JAR
01-03-2010, 05:29 PM
I'm so sick of hearing that about the Steelers. They don't deserve to be there, but a team, the first team in league history that gets to play a team resting it's starters for the playoffs two weeks in a row deserves to be there! BS.

feltdizz
01-03-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm so sick of hearing that about the Steelers. They don't deserve to be there, but a team, the first team in league history that gets to play a team resting it's starters for the playoffs two weeks in a row deserves to be there! BS.
Whoever gets in deserves it... It makes no sense bashing other teams after we tanked against the worst teams yet still need them to win to make it in.

ramblinjim
01-03-2010, 05:43 PM
.....and our fourth quarter defense nearly blew it again as Tyler Thigpen channeled Dan Marino...

Whoever gets in deserves it. We won our last three, which is good and we know that our D has a lot of off season work that needs to be done.

Iron Shiek
01-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Im gonna turn the tables though. Felt, granted our defense was making Thigpen look like Marino, where was arians awesome offense? I was all ready to give him mad props, and i still will. But they looked like sh it as usual in 3rd qrtr. Granted the d didnt produce, but i think we can agree that a couple starters in there can make a difference. ALL PRAISE ST. LEBEAU. haha

Chadman
01-03-2010, 05:57 PM
So........where are we drafting then?

:(

feltdizz
01-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Im gonna turn the tables though. Felt, granted our defense was making Thigpen look like Marino, where was arians awesome offense? I was all ready to give him mad props, and i still will. But they looked like sh it as usual in 3rd qrtr. Granted the d didnt produce, but i think we can agree that a couple starters in there can make a difference. ALL PRAISE ST. LEBEAU. haha

we were up 17... Mend stepped out on a sure TD catch... The OL gave up 2 crucial sacks..
Blame the freaking players and execution. What do you want?
34... 40 points? If 17 isn't enough then 21 wouldn't be either...

FWP burned clock and moved the chains but still ran out on the long run... Stopped the clock.
We score a running TD.. Hold on Hines...

2 TD's by Thigpen in 3 minutes and we blame BA?

feltdizz
01-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Why do we demand perfection on Offense... but not on D?

Shawn
01-03-2010, 06:03 PM
We did this to ourselves...no need to cry about it now.

Iron Shiek
01-03-2010, 06:04 PM
YES! I want 100! Haha. Its the same as all season, bunch of blame to go around for the near collapse. I just wanted to stick to my guns. GO raiders, chefs and bungles.

feltdizz
01-03-2010, 06:06 PM
YES! I want 100! Haha. Its the same as all season, bunch of blame to go around for the near collapse. I just wanted to stick to my guns. GO raiders, chefs and bungles.

I want 110% lol..

stlrz d
01-03-2010, 06:06 PM

Why can't you effing get it that people are not letting the D off the hook?

You're intentionally being obstinate.

It's annoying.

feltdizz
01-03-2010, 06:08 PM

It's annoying.

yeeeahhhhhhhhh

SteelStallion
01-03-2010, 06:10 PM
I'm a fan. I'm never 'sick' of hearing about the Steelers. That aside, there's no argument here. They're not a playoff caliber team. Bad luck with injuries. They showed a semblance of improvement on special teams but not on defense. And they stuck with Farrior, Carter and Gay without substantive change so they clearly need the right talent infusion before they contend again. And the Farrior situation is particularly sad since he needs to retire or be cut outright but they just signed to a long term deal, so I see him sadly starting for another 16 games. Anyway it was a gutsy end of year performance. Better luck next year and on to the draft. :Clap

Iron Shiek
01-03-2010, 06:10 PM
I gotta somewhat agree. Just because every post everyone makes isnt prefaced by a defense sucks mantra, you think we doont agree.

feltdizz
01-03-2010, 06:11 PM
So StlrzD... Others can say BA blows ALL DAY LONG.. But I cant do the same with the D?

I know you love the D but let go... I can bash just like others do.. Ignore
me. I ignore you half the time...

Iron Shiek
01-03-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm a fan. I'm never 'sick' of hearing about the Steelers. That aside, there's no argument here. They're not a playoff caliber team. Bad luck with injuries. They showed a semblance of improvement on special teams but not on defense. And they stuck with Farrior, Carter and Gay without substantive change so they clearly need the right talent infusion before they contend again. And the Farrior situation is particularly sad since he needs to retire or be cut outright but they just signed to a long term deal, so I see him sadly starting for another 16 games. Anyway it was a gutsy end of year performance. Better luck next year and on to the draft. :Clap
That pretty much is spot on.

stlrz d
01-03-2010, 06:13 PM
So StlrzD... Others can say BA blows ALL DAY LONG.. But I cant do the same with the D?

Again you prove that you simply have no idea what's going on here.

And this post also proves that your purpose is simply to annoy. IE: Troll.

No one is giving the D a pass, tiny brain.

Iron Shiek
01-03-2010, 06:16 PM
felt, nobody disagrees with you. I think ruthless put it in big letters earlier this week.

feltdizz
01-03-2010, 06:16 PM
I gotta somewhat agree. Just because every post everyone makes isnt prefaced by a defense sucks mantra, you think we doont agree.

Well... when we are up 17 and the O is getting blame for the D collapsing.. I choose to post what I think. If you agree on the D sucking then why defend them or post otherwise? Besides it being your opinion and a message board of course? lol

feltdizz
01-03-2010, 06:19 PM

wait... bashing BA isn't trolling but bashing the D is? Weird how Trolling is defined by agreeing with you or a few others..

feltdizz
01-03-2010, 06:23 PM
felt, nobody disagrees with you. I think ruthless put it in big letters earlier this week.

since people agree with I shouldn't talk about it? What exactly can be talked about negatively besides our offense without being labeled annoying or trollish?

stlrz d
01-03-2010, 06:30 PM

wait... bashing BA isn't trolling but bashing the D is? Weird how Trolling is defined by agreeing with you or a few others..

No, trolling is your insistence that there is blame on only one side of the ball.

Trolling is your obstinate insistence that people here are giving the D a pass when they are not.

That's trolling and you clearly fit that definition when it comes to this topic.

Flasteel
01-03-2010, 06:42 PM

You need to put the pipe down Dizz. You are by no means a troll but you are clearly trying to state that the problems rest solely with the defense and you are absolving the offense - particularly Arians - of any fault in this disgrace of a season. To say that you are not is either intentionally trying to stir things up or you are completely blind to the posts you continue to make on the subject.

You and most of the other BA defenders try to point the finger in one direction and allow it to excuse our imposter of an OC. NOBODY is stating that the defense isn't a huge part of the problem, if not the biggest reason for our collapse.

IT'S JUST NOT THE ONLY PROBLEM.

Arians is a problem. He has been a problem since the beginning and he will always be a problem. He needs to go. If you don't agree, that's fine. Apparently you are in the same company as Ben and in all likelihood Tomlin.

I'm not.

feltdizz
01-03-2010, 08:15 PM

You need to put the pipe down Dizz. You are by no means a troll but you are clearly trying to state that the problems rest solely with the defense and you are absolving the offense - particularly Arians - of any fault in this disgrace of a season. To say that you are not is either intentionally trying to stir things up or you are completely blind to the posts you continue to make on the subject.

You and most of the other BA defenders try to point the finger in one direction and allow it to excuse our imposter of an OC. NOBODY is stating that the defense isn't a huge part of the problem, if not the biggest reason for our collapse.

IT'S JUST NOT THE ONLY PROBLEM.

Arians is a problem. He has been a problem since the beginning and he will always be a problem. He needs to go. If you don't agree, that's fine. Apparently you are in the same company as Ben and in all likelihood Tomlin.

I'm not.

Booo! Who are to tell me to pipe down and focus my attention on blaming the OC?

I know BA has deficiencies... but why must I focus on him and not on the other areas? Why must I criticize only who you or any other person on here feels is the problem to be seen as OK with the board?

Something weird is going on with the BA haters because they are losing their minds when we talk about other areas that need help. People are actually bashing Tomlin and Ben for supporting their OC... Where is the Steeler love?

Ohh... I get it.. I have to support the BA agenda to be one of the Seeler faithful.

DukieBoy
01-03-2010, 08:35 PM
No Arians supporter here. Our red zone offense must be at least lower-third in the league. And that ill-conceived, poorly-timed, and badly-executed play with the Stonio Pass looks like the billboard poster for the "Worst of Air Arians" video.

On the other hand, our 4th quarter defense must rate 32nd out of the 32 teams.

Jooser
01-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Just a quick question. Since the defense was pretty sucky this year and blew a lot of leads late and everything, does that mean that Dick Lebeau won't be inducted into the HOF as a Steeler? :o

NC Steeler Fan
01-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Well, from my viewpoint, our offensive play calling and our defensive execution
have been equally to blame this year.

On D, I just have to go on record stating that I swear I think someone is
blackmailing our secondary to lay down on plays. Seriously.

I don't know about anyone else, but today I saw, yet again, our guys look like
they literally slowed up long before the ball got to the wide receiver. As much
as I really like Deshea, he was a prime example on that one TD catch. He looked
like he slowed up with the ball still 15 yards out from the receiver and looked like
he never even attempted to catch him to begin with. Sure, he's not a speed
demon, but even my husband, the hapless foreskin fan, said, "He looked like he
didn't even try on that play!".

As for our play calling in the 3rd quarter in particular this year, I have been
infuriated more times than I want to remember with the lack of screen plays,
attempts to simply pick up the first down, instead of the long bomb Ben :roll: ,
etc., etc. How is it the opposing teams have the courage to light us up with
quick short passes to move the chains in the second half and all we can do is either
run up the middle repeatedly or have Ben circumnavigate the field for half an hour
looking for someone open on the 5 yard line?

Sigh.

I want to join the crowd that says we didn't deserve to be in the playoffs, but
dammit, we had the talent to do it this year and we flat out blew it.

Someone said in another thread that KC, Oakland, etc. "put us in this position" and
I say no way. We simply did it to ourselves. We beat ourselves every time.

Oh well. Now I just gotta figure out if I am breaking some kind of football creed if
I were to dare pull, *gag*, for the bungles out of deference to the AFC North or SD
so that Ben can be in the elite QB class of '04....

DukieBoy
01-03-2010, 09:34 PM
And none of this addresses the Special Teams record-setting Failures.

NC Steeler Fan
01-03-2010, 09:38 PM
And none of this addresses the Special Teams record-setting Failures.

Oops, I think I just go numb or on auto-pilot when our STs are on the field... :lol:

stlrz d
01-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Well, from my viewpoint, our offensive play calling and our defensive execution
have been equally to blame this year.

On D, I just have to go on record stating that I swear I think someone is
blackmailing our secondary to lay down on plays. Seriously.

I don't know about anyone else, but today I saw, yet again, our guys look like
they literally slowed up long before the ball got to the wide receiver. As much
as I really like Deshea, he was a prime example on that one TD catch. He looked
like he slowed up with the ball still 15 yards out from the receiver and looked like
he never even attempted to catch him to begin with. Sure, he's not a speed
demon, but even my husband, the hapless foreskin fan, said, "He looked like he
didn't even try on that play!".

As for our play calling in the 3rd quarter in particular this year, I have been
infuriated more times than I want to remember with the lack of screen plays,
attempts to simply pick up the first down, instead of the long bomb Ben :roll: ,
etc., etc. How is it the opposing teams have the courage to light us up with
quick short passes to move the chains in the second half and all we can do is either
run up the middle repeatedly or have Ben circumnavigate the field for half an hour
looking for someone open on the 5 yard line?

Sigh.

I want to join the crowd that says we didn't deserve to be in the playoffs, but
dammit, we had the talent to do it this year and we flat out blew it.

Someone said in another thread that KC, Oakland, etc. "put us in this position" and
I say no way. We simply did it to ourselves. We beat ourselves every time.

Oh well. Now I just gotta figure out if I am breaking some kind of football creed if
I were to dare pull, *gag*, for the bungles out of deference to the AFC North or SD
so that Ben can be in the elite QB class of '04....

Deshea had underneath responsibility on that and was drifting back. That was totally the responsibility of the safety. Fail. :(

Deshea can't take off downfield until he's certain the ball is in the air.

birtikidis
01-03-2010, 10:02 PM
yes. to call 3 pass plays that took about 30 seconds when we could have ran the ball 3 times and took over 2 mintutes? even if we don't get a first down it burns the clock. he's been doing this all year. up by 2 scores and the other team closes the gap on their last posession and then throw the ball to give the other team the ball right back? dumb.

birtikidis
01-03-2010, 10:07 PM

it's about consistency. our defense has been consistently good with this being our worst season in a while.
offensively our offense hasn't been up to par since arians got here.
big difference.

papillon
01-03-2010, 10:51 PM

It's annoying.

For the same reason that the "BA is the devil incarnate" group continues to blame the unit that has provided leads all year, only to have defeat snatched from the jaws of victory by the defense. If we're being obstinate in our support of Arians then the support for the defense is just as obstinate.

The defense was bad again today.

Pappy

birtikidis
01-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Pap, if this was the first year the O was terrible then most people would get on arians. Fantasy Football people like it, but we can't win with it. Unless you have the best d ever.
it's hard to get on our defense when it is always AWESOME.

Steelgal
01-03-2010, 11:13 PM
When you look at injuries on both sides of the ball, the defense has had a lot more critical losses, than the offense. By that rational, the defense won't be as productive. There's no one to replace Troy, just like no one could replace Ben. When we lost Aaron Smith a few years ago, play suffered as well. Regarding starters, Gay is the biggest liablility out there IMO.

Plus this year, we haven't been able to grind it out. So the defense is on the field more. The defense has lots of blame to share, but I still think, when healthy, they'll bounce back. However, they're also aging, so not sure how much longer we'll have guys like Keisel and Smith around.

stlrz d
01-03-2010, 11:40 PM

It's annoying.

For the same reason that the "BA is the devil incarnate" group continues to blame the unit that has provided leads all year, only to have defeat snatched from the jaws of victory by the defense. If we're being obstinate in our support of Arians then the support for the defense is just as obstinate.

Pappy

Who's giving the D a pass?

Certainly not me.

It's the person I've been going back and forth with who is pointing at only one side of the ball for the problem this season.

papillon
01-03-2010, 11:47 PM
Pap, if this was the first year the O was terrible then most people would get on arians. Fantasy Football people like it, but we can't win with it. Unless you have the best d ever.

The defense was a lot of things this year; awesome isn't one of the adjectives I would use. what happened in previous years is irrelevant to what happened this year. The offense was good and the defense was bad, previous years, certainly the opposite has been true.

Pappy

feltdizz
01-03-2010, 11:52 PM
yes. to call 3 pass plays that took about 30 seconds when we could have ran the ball 3 times and took over 2 mintutes? even if we don't get a first down it burns the clock. he's been doing this all year. up by 2 scores and the other team closes the gap on their last posession and then throw the ball to give the other team the ball right back? dumb.

I'm not saying BA is perfect.. but damn... you talk about OC's when you are down 27 to 10.. not up 27 to 10.

You guys have this all backwards. Never in my life have I heard so many people bashing 17 point leads, 14 point leads, 10 point leads, 7 point leads, 3 point... it's the freaking LEAD..

who is really doing a bad job if you have leads in 14 of your games 4th quarter?

birtikidis
01-03-2010, 11:52 PM

The defense was a lot of things this year; awesome isn't one of the adjectives I would use. what happened in previous years is irrelevant to what happened this year. The offense was good and the defense was bad, previous years, certainly the opposite has been true.

Pappy
I'm talking about consistency. I will take a consistently awesome defense every year. even if it has a bum season every now and then. what I'm saying is that our offense has been less then awesome even though we have a group of premier players. and i don't like fantasy football so don't throw numbers around when you talk about how great our statistics have been. because 1) they don't score when it matter (in the red zone) 2) they don't keep the ball away from the other team.

birtikidis
01-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Bruce arians and his shotgun 5 wide against the worst defense in the entire world on third and short in the first quarter would be similar to the defense running punt block formation on 3rd and 1.

feltdizz
01-03-2010, 11:55 PM
[quote=feltdizz]Why do we demand perfection on Offense... but not on D?

It's annoying.

Pappy

Certainly not me.

It's the person I've been going back and forth with who is pointing at only one side of the ball for the problem this season.[/quote:3g4xmou9]

pathetic...

You keep glossing over the obvious to get back to bashing the better side of the ball this season..

man up.

feltdizz
01-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Bruce arians and his shotgun 5 wide against the worst defense in the entire world on third and short in the first quarter would be similar to the defense running punt block formation on 3rd and 1.

or a 7 yard Lebeau cushion on 3rd and 2?

papillon
01-04-2010, 12:01 AM
[quote=feltdizz]Why do we demand perfection on Offense... but not on D?

It's annoying.

Pappy

Certainly not me.

It's the person I've been going back and forth with who is pointing at only one side of the ball for the problem this season.[/quote:2sny1dxd]

It's not that the defense is given pass, but, any time the defense is criticized it is followed with an excuse why they were terrible, the offense scored too fast, the offense has a lot of yards, but not enough points, the offense didn't grind it out, etc. pick your "I hate Bruce Arians" excuse and insert into any post that criticizes the defense.

I've said this before, for my money, Bruce can stay or go, he isn't the problem and neither are Lebeau or Tomlin. A couple coaches will become casualties and rightfully so, Ligashesky, Ray Horton and probably Zeirlein. Their units either performed abysmally or regressed (the OL).

Arians has just become too easy of a target for those that don't like the offense that he has designed. I don't like it either, but I've accepted it in the same manner that I've accepted Ben's style of quarterbacking. Games are a lot more enjoyable once you accept these two things.

Pappy

birtikidis
01-04-2010, 12:04 AM

I'm not saying BA is perfect.. but damn... you talk about OC's when you are down 27 to 10.. not up 27 to 10.

You guys have this all backwards. Never in my life have I heard so many people bashing 17 point leads, 14 point leads, 10 point leads, 7 point leads, 3 point... it's the freaking LEAD..

who is really doing a bad job if you have leads in 14 of your games 4th quarter?
D gives up a TD after a decent drive by the offense. it sucked. offense goes out runs 3 plays in 30 seconds giving the ball right back to miami. miami then goes down the field and scores another touchdown. in 2:40 miami scores two td's. 17 point lead evaporates. arians refuses to put the other team away. if we had the ball and ran it three times we take the game over. it's ridiculous and he does it EVERY time we have a lead. he refuses to use a fullback on 3rd and 1. he runs stupid gadget plays when we have the opportunity to put a game away. he sucks. he does everything that cowher REFUSED to do when he had an 11 point lead. cowher with an 11 point lead was unbeatable. arians with an 11 point lead is uncertain at best. because our OFFENSE can't keep the ball out of the other teams hands!

stlrz d
01-04-2010, 12:07 AM
I don't have a problem with a wide open attack. The NFL is making rules to favor that sort of thing.

What I don't like is an OC who seems to show an inability to adjust when something isn't working. I don't like an OC who seems to be severely lacking when it comes to situational play calling. I don't like an OC who seems to out-think himself in the red zone.

birtikidis
01-04-2010, 12:07 AM

haha or a wide reciever sweep on 4th and goal. of course out of the spread formation.

stlrz d
01-04-2010, 12:12 AM

haha or a wide reciever sweep on 4th and goal. of course out of the spread formation.

Don't forget a pitch to our slowest back...with no counter fake in the opposite direction first of course....

feltdizz
01-04-2010, 12:13 AM
I have to give credit when due.. StlrzD did say I was criticizing the D THIS SEASON!!

I haven't criticize the D for the hell of it.. last year they performed far above expectations and any criticism of BA was justified..

but this year the D went somewhere unexpected.... and against the worst in football on offense. The Raiders have a decent D.. but the O?

birtikidis
01-04-2010, 12:18 AM
I have to give credit when due.. StlrzD did say I was criticizing the D THIS SEASON!!

I haven't criticize the D for the hell of it.. last year they performed far above expectations and any criticism of BA was justified..

but this year the D went somewhere unexpected.... and against the worst in football on offense. The Raiders have a decent D.. but the O?
I agree man. our D was well below expectations. but our offense did them no favors. nor did our special teams. our defense gets credit for giving up 8 freaking touchdowns because of special teams and interceptions. alot of people don't realize how important a two gap dominant defensive end is in a 3-4. you need at least one and you need a stout nose. not just one or the other. losing aaron smith was an injury that we couldn't have afforded this year.