PDA

View Full Version : Ben vs GB

NorthCoast
01-02-2010, 11:40 AM
I have been trying to come up with a good explanation as to why Ben was able to hang 503 yds on a 10th ranked GB pass defense, but failed miserably against a 29th ranked Browns defense. I haven't really come up with any great insights but here are some thoughts:
This is GBs first season using a newly-installed 3-4 defense. Maybe the familiarity Ben has with this defense made him a lot more comfortable. Also Al Harris is a 35 yr old safety that doesn't quite have the range he used to, kinda like Tyrone Carter except that Harris can tackle. Against GB Ben targeted 7 different receivers with Hines and Heath each grabbing 7 for about half the total yds. Ben was sacked 5 times in this game.

Against the Browns Ben had 201 yds. He hit 5 different receivers with Holmes grabbing 6 for 93 yds. The Browns play a 4-3 and Shaun Rogers was out at DT. Ben was sacked 8 times in this game. Strong safety Eric Wright had the most tackles for Cleveland. T. Carter had 9 tackles, followed by Timmons (Farrior was invisible at 3 tackles). Obviously, Ben should be very familiar with the Browns defense by now, however they do have a new DC and word is they installed a new attacking defense for this game. It caught both Ben and the coaching staff off guard and we had no answer all night.

Then again, maybe it was an 'off' night for the team....?

stlrz d
01-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Al Harris didn't play. He was put on IR in November. And he's a CB, not a safety.

The Packers were way down on the depth chart with regards to their secondary. I believe their #4 and #6 corners saw significant time against us. And #3 and #5 were playing hurt.

If memory serves....

I think the Browns game was due, in part, to poor game planning (too much passing in all that wind), strong winds and just an off day. Plus good pressure and coverage by the Browns.