PDA

View Full Version : The 00's in football, by the numbers (a fun read)

SteelTorch
01-01-2010, 11:36 PM
This is just a long list of statistical milestones and random facts of the 2000's. A pretty fun read. I learned, among other things, that Terry Bradshaw posted one of only two perfect passer ratings in NFL history, Big Ben's exact age when he won his first SB, and how many quarterbacks have played for the Bears this past decade (it's ridiculously long). Here's the article link, since it's too long to post here:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3062_The_2000s%3A_a_blooming_onion_of_offense.h tml

It's a pretty fun read if you have the time. By the way, the last item on the list made me chuckle. :)

eniparadoxgma
01-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Good article. Thanks man. :tt2

Wolfhound45
01-02-2010, 07:42 PM
I would agree, a fun read. Here are a few of my favorites;

Number of times this decade that a team purposely threw away a chance at an unbeaten season (2009 Colts).

Number of players who have produced a perfect passer rating in an NFL playoff game (min. 18 attempts): Terry Bradshaw vs. the Baltimore Colts in 1976 and Peyton Manning vs. Denver in the 2002 playoffs.

Number of teams in NFL history who won a Super Bowl after winning three straight playoff games on the road. Both came this decade: 2005 Steelers and 2007 Giants.

Of the 10 all-time career passer rating leaders, the number that were active (in italics) in the 2009 season (min. 1,500 attempts):

9. Ben Roethlisberger – 91.3

Tony Romo's average per pass attempt entering Week 17 of 2009, the highest mark by any player in 50 years. Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger is just a shade behind Romo at No. 5 on the all-time YPA list. Here's the top seven, which suddenly features three active players (in italics) as yards-per-pass-attempt have begun to inch up over the past several years:

5. Ben Roethlisberger – 8.00

Of the 12 all-time receptions leaders, the number that played at least part of their careers in the 2000s:

12. Hines Ward (887)

The record for interception returns for touchdowns set by Hall of Famer Rod Woodson in a career that ended with the Raiders in 2003 (current Saints safety Darren Sharper is second, with 11). Woodson recorded his last two pick-sixes for the AFC champion 2002 Raiders.

Spots in the AFC title game, out of 18, captured by just four teams since 2000: the Patriots* (five), Steelers (four), Colts (two) and Ravens (two).

Games won by the 2004 Steelers, the most by any team with a rookie quarterback (Ben Roethlisberger).

23 years 11 months, 340 days
Ben Roethlisberger’s age when he became the youngest Super Bowl-winning quarterback on Feb. 5, 2006 (Super Bowl XL).

The number of sit-ups a shirtless and clueless Terrell Owens did in his front yard for the media during the height of his divorce from Donovan McNabb and the Eagles.

Length, in yards, of Pittsburgh linebacker James Harrison's return of a Kurt Warner interception for a touchdown in Super Bowl XLIII. It's the longest scoring play in Super Bowl history. It proved the difference in a 27-23 Steelers victory.

A number so vast that it’s beyond the scope of human comprehension
The number of times the ESPN pregame and booth crew utter the word “BrettFavre” in the average broadcast featuring Old Yeller.

NorthCoast
01-03-2010, 10:24 AM
I thought it was interesting that only one #1 seed won the Superbowl in the last decade. Just goes to show that anything can happen in the playoffs.