PDA

View Full Version : Offensive and Defense Deficiencies

NorthCoast
12-31-2009, 11:04 AM
I already listed a few of what I thought were offensive deficiencies. In the interest of fairness here are a few defensive issues:

The Steelers rank 32nd in the NFL in opponent passing first down percentage (68.9%). The next worse is Seattle at 67.8% and best is Oakland at 49.2%. But it is not so much that we are horrible at stopping the pass because we rank 8th best in opponent completion % (57.8). (Jets are first at 53.1%).

We are actually pretty strong in red zone defense, allowing 1.1 pts/game (tied with 3 others for 4th place). And it is not because teams are not attempting red zone scores against us because our red zone opponent rate is ranked 7th at 44.7%.

We rank 2nd in the league in fewest opponent 1st downs per game at 16.9. BUT we are woefull in 3rd down conversions allowed at 41.4% (26th in NFL).

Our opponent passing yards per attempt is ranked 10th best. But the oppponent passing yards per completion is ranked 18th.

There is also a wide difference in field goal offense and defense. We rank 9th in the NFL at 1.6 field goals/game. But, we are 14th at allowing opponent field goals/game (1.4).

We are tied with Az at allowing 2.3 touchdowns/game. But we are 14th in TDs per game at 2.5. So our win margins have been very slim (and we can argue about whether that is a defensive or offensive problem).

Here is a bit on ST. We rank last in allowing opponent touchdowns/game by special teams (tied with St. Louis) at 0.5/game. (seems like good ammo to get the ST coach fired).

I don't think there are too many surprises here. We are a big play offense and a defense that allows the big play. To me, that is not a consistent winning football team, hence our current predicament.

BURGH86STEEL
12-31-2009, 01:10 PM
I don't ever remember the defense giving up as many big plays as they have this season. It is something they need to work to improve. Having a healthy Troy back could improve that area.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-31-2009, 01:20 PM
I don't ever remember the defense giving up as many big plays as they have this season. It is something they need to work to improve. Having a healthy Troy back could improve that area.

This slide in defensive performance didn't start this year - remember the Superbowl last year? It was just a foreshadowing of this season - end of game huge plays given up by our defense.

The Superbowl ended just like this year's Green Bay game - Ben and the offense making magical plays just in time. The games we lost this year were almost identical *, except the offense couldn't pull it out at the last moment.

This is going to take a LONG time to fix, healthy Troy or not.

*Except for maybe the Brown's game where they channeled their inner '85 Bears :roll:

DukieBoy
12-31-2009, 07:01 PM
3rd and 15+ yards and our defense on the field has scared me more than 3rd and short. And 2nd and 15+ with out defense on the field has been almost as scary.

And 1st and 10 against our D, there is always the 8 to 10 yard out route on our D's left side that is automatic for the opponents, there for the taking whenever they want it.

Something is wrong with the schemes or execution (or both) w/o Troy on the field.

feltdizz
12-31-2009, 08:28 PM
3rd and 15+ yards and our defense on the field has scared me more than 3rd and short. And 2nd and 15+ with out defense on the field has been almost as scary.

And 1st and 10 against our D, there is always the 8 to 10 yard out route on our D's left side that is automatic for the opponents, there for the taking whenever they want it.

Something is wrong with the schemes or execution (or both) w/o Troy on the field.

I call it 3rd and whatever... but pretty much anything over 7 yards is automatic against this D. The cushion has been closed too...

NorthCoast
01-01-2010, 10:16 AM

While the 3rd downs are horrific, the stats tell us that we have been defending 1st and 2nd down fairly decently.

But here are a few other stats that took a HUGE swing this season:

Intercept %: 1.7 (Rank 31st, tied for last with woeful St. Louis, Bills 1st at an amazing 5.4%)
Turn-over margin/game: -0.3 (tied with Giants, Az, for 21st, GB 1st at +1.5)
Fumbles Lost/game: 0.7 (tied for 18th)

All of our passing comes at a cost:
Interceptions /game: 0.9 (rank 10th best, tied w/ Balt., Philly)

Intercept %: 3.9 (Rank 5th)
Turn-over margin/game: +0.5 (5th)
Fumbles Lost/game: 0.6 (11th)

Ben was a little more careful last year:
Interceptions/game: 0.8 (rank 14th best)

As we all have seen, we just are not taking the ball away in games and we are giving it away at a higher rate.