PDA

View Full Version : Woodley - "They'll lay down"

SteelHead
12-30-2009, 03:24 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09364/1024559-100.stm

Woodley predicts Bengals, Patriots to 'lay down' to keep Steelers out
Wednesday, December 30, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley predicted today that the Cincinnati Bengals and New England Patriots will "lay down" on Sunday to help keep his team out of the playoffs.

"Cincinnati is probably going to go into New York and lay down for the Jets and not play them hard just because they don't want to see Pittsburgh in there," Woodley said, "because they know if we get into the playoffs we're a dangerous team."

The Steelers need at least the Bengals to beat the Jets or the Patriots to beat the Houston Texans in order to have a chance to make the playoffs, and they probably need both those games to go their way.

Woodley was named today the AFC defensive player of the week.

"All of them will lay down," said Woodley, who leads the Steelers with 11.5 sacks, third in the AFC. "No one wants to see Pittsburgh in there. That's just how it is. Everybody knows we're a dangers team once we get into the playoffs no matter how we played throughout the whole year."

The Bengals (10-5) swept the Steelers twice this season on way to the AFC North Division title the Steelers won the past two seasons. The Steelers were 6-2 when they lost for the second time to Cincinnati that began a five-game losing streak that dropped the Super Bowl champs to 6-7 before rallying to win the past two games and give them a slim chance of reaching the playoffs.

The Steelers need to win in Miami to have a chance at a playoff spot with a 9-7 record, and also must have one of three scenarios take place:

Houston loses or ties, and Jets lose or tie.

Houston losses or ties and Baltimore (at Oakland) loses or ties.

Jets lose or tie and Baltimore loses or ties and Denver (home vs. Kansas City) loses or ties.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09364/10 ... z0bCYOKvHm (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09364/1024559-100.stm#ixzz0bCYOKvHm)

Ozey74
12-30-2009, 03:30 PM
I agree without a doubt that Cincy will lay down. Not so sure about the Pats. Oakland winning would be a tremendous gift!!

:tt2

Iron Shiek
12-30-2009, 04:13 PM
While reading that I was wrestling in my mind it that was a brilliant move or a boneheaded move. On the one hand, you calling these teams out and saying they don't want to play us in the playoffs might fire them up to play hard and get that chance to meet us. On the other hand, you can pis them off and have them say who does this young'n think he is callin us out, we will just lay down and you can watch us from your couch. I'd vote for the first one seeing as NFL'ers are all ultra competitive.

But then again, I'm 99.7% sure that Randy Moss or Leon Hall aren't combing message boards or the Post Gazette forums reading quotes from Wood. Oh well, it was a good wrestling match I had going in my brain anyway. I guess if more Steelers were coming out calling teams wusses for laying down, that might gain momentum and enrage some players on these teams, ha.

isonator07
12-30-2009, 04:39 PM
While reading that I was wrestling in my mind it that was a brilliant move or a boneheaded move. On the one hand, you calling these teams out and saying they don't want to play us in the playoffs might fire them up to play hard and get that chance to meet us. On the other hand, you can pis them off and have them say who does this young'n think he is callin us out, we will just lay down and you can watch us from your couch. I'd vote for the first one seeing as NFL'ers are all ultra competitive.

But then again, I'm 99.7% sure that Randy Moss or Leon Hall aren't combing message boards or the Post Gazette forums reading quotes from Wood. Oh well, it was a good wrestling match I had going in my brain anyway. I guess if more Steelers were coming out calling teams wusses for laying down, that might gain momentum and enrage some players on these teams, ha.

Thats funny!!

frankthetank1
12-30-2009, 05:44 PM
i was wondering this just the other day. if your the pats or bengals who would you rather see in the playoffs? a team who is the defending champs and only 4 years ago ran the table as the #6 seed or the jets or texans? the pats and bengals dont have much to play for any ways and resting starters+eliminate the steelers=success in the playoffs. we have no shot at the playoffs but they could have avoided this if they beat the cheifs or raiders

Jom112
12-30-2009, 05:47 PM
I'd rather see the Ravens or Jets in the playoffs then the Steelers. But I would rather see the Steelers in the playoffs then the Texans...

feltdizz
12-30-2009, 07:09 PM
I know we are the defending champs but as long as Troy is out I would not fear the Steelers... On offense I would but not the defense.

JAR
12-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Ochocinco: "I'm not coming off the field"

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Chad Ochocinco's mouth is at it again.
This time, the chatty Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver took some playful shots at Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis in an entertaining conference call with the New York media Wednesday.
"Darrelle Revis couldn't cover me in a brown paper bag on a corner of a Manhattan street inside a phone booth," Ochocinco said after asking if everyone had their recorders on. "It's impossible."
Revis, selected as a Pro Bowl starter, was sent home from practice with an illness and was unavailable to respond to Ochocinco's latest swipes. Coach Rex Ryan was asked if Revis might have Ochocinco fever.
"I doubt that," Ryan said with a grin. "I like him, like the way he plays and all that. Hope he doesn't play this week, but anytime we play him, he's always got comments. I think it's good, good for the game."
Ochocinco and Revis, who consider each other friends, are expected to be matched up during the game Sunday night, but it's uncertain for how long. The AFC North-champion Bengals don't have much to worry about, but the Jets need to win to make the playoffs.
Ochocinco said he has called coach Marvin Lewis "at least 20 times" to see how much the starters are playing, and insists he told him the Bengals are "playing to win."
"I said, 'OK, you get me excited and try to pull me out of the game, I'm not coming out. I will force you to use every timeout just to get me off the field,' " Ochocinco said. "That's what I plan to do, I'm not coming off the field, period. If Revis is in there, I'm in the game. I'm not coming out."
Ochocinco said he thought up a scoring celebration in which he'll put on a Bengals firefighter's helmet -- making like famed Jets fan Fireman Ed -- and sit on the goal post or one of his linemen's shoulders and get the fans to chant, "O-C-H-O, Ocho, Ocho, Ocho," instead of the familiar "J-E-T-S" cheer.
"I'm going out this season with a bang," he said. "I don't care what anybody says. That's the celebration of all celebrations."
Ochocinco was actually extremely complimentary of Revis, raving about his cover skills and calling him "one of the best."
"Look here: Me and Revis is better than Pacquiao-Mayweather, period, case closed," he said. "I don't care what anybody is doing Sunday night. If you don't tune into the game Sunday, you have no life. You have no life. You [have] never seen a matchup like this ever before."
Ochocinco, who has 72 catches for 1,047 yards and nine touchdowns, has sent numerous tweets to Revis throughout the season, and the Pro Bowl cornerback recently responded: "good morning world. i just woke up from this crazy dream. (at)OGOchoCinco came to Revis Island and disappeared."
"You know how I am, you know my personality, you know my style of play," Ochocinco said. "This is what I live for on a Sunday and I finally get it. I haven't had the opportunity to play this type of individual in a very long time."
Ochocinco sounded genuinely surprised when told that the teams could potentially face each other in the first round of the playoffs at Cincinnati.
"I like it," he said. "That would be me and Revis again. That's like Mayweather-Pacquiao II. He's Pacquiao, though."
Revis wasn't the only Jets player to be the subject of Ochocinco's swipes. Linebacker Bart Scott had plenty of run-ins with the receivers back when he was in Baltimore.
"I'll hit him in the mouth, and I'm not playing," Ochocinco said. "I know he takes a lot of things I say as a joke and I'll be playing. I'm not playing this time because I'm playing for something else. I'll hit him in the mouth, helmet on or helmet off. I'll take that fine."
Scott, also known for not being afraid to speak his mind, took the high road this time.
"I'm not going to give him what he wants this time," Scott said. "He wants us to entertain the country for a week. This week's about business, not jokes."

Chadman
12-31-2009, 10:25 AM
If the Steelers had beaten the Raiders, Chiefs & Browns, we wouldn't be worried about who rests this week & who plays.

Perhaps a few Steelers would be well served to remind LaMarr of that.

Love Woodley- but that's kinda a dumb thing to say.

Iron Shiek
12-31-2009, 11:03 AM
Ha! Ocho Cinco is hilarious. I know people think he's a douche, and I don't support some of the dumb "props" he pulls out on the sidelines, but good natured smack talk never hurts anyone, and I don't mind it. He loves to yap, and it makes things interesting.

Anyway, regarding the thought that getting the Steelers out of the playoffs is a positive for the Bungles. Why would it be? They beat us twice. From our Steeler colored goggles, they were close games we shoulda won. But look at it from the Bungles view. They "own" us. Why WOULDN'T they want to play us again?

As for the Cheaters, they see our poor (passing) defensive performances against some un-highly touted pass offenses, and I'm sure they would be licking their chops to play us.

We are a wounded dog right now, and teams clamor to kick us while we are down I'm sure. But I don't see Michael Vick in our conference, so this dog still has life! It starts with the marine mammals in Miami (I refuse to call them the fish like everyone because THEY ARE NOT FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

NorthCoast
12-31-2009, 11:09 AM
If the Steelers had beaten the Raiders, Chiefs & Browns, we wouldn't be worried about who rests this week & who plays.

I agree Chadman. When you are on the outside looking in, keep your mouth shut.

papillon
12-31-2009, 11:21 AM

The Steelers need to just take their lumps like men and let the chips fall and see what happens. Whining about another team and what they're going to do is well, childish. This team played 15 games just like the other teams in the league and didn't take care of business. Don't make fun of a team that did take care of business and, in particular, against the Steelers.

It's sour grapes, accept your fate and move on to next year, if, indeed, it plays out that the Steelers don't get the necessary help.

Look in the mirror and you'll find all the fault you need to find.

Pappy

SteelAbility
12-31-2009, 11:33 AM

So, who won?? :P 8)

Iron Shiek
12-31-2009, 11:34 AM
The right side. whatever that means..

SteelAbility
12-31-2009, 11:35 AM
i was wondering this just the other day. if your the pats or bengals who would you rather see in the playoffs? a team who is the defending champs and only 4 years ago ran the table as the #6 seed or the jets or texans? the pats and bengals dont have much to play for any ways and resting starters+eliminate the steelers=success in the playoffs. we have no shot at the playoffs but they could have avoided this if they beat the cheifs or raiders

... or Browns. :roll:

RuthlessBurgher
12-31-2009, 11:37 AM

The cerebellum has the temporal lobe in a headlock...but the referee is looking the other way!!! :lol:

Iron Shiek
12-31-2009, 12:23 PM

The cerebellum has the temporal lobe in a headlock...but the referee is looking the other way!!! :lol:

Jim Ross: "GOOD GOD, THATS THE CRANIUM'S MUSIC!"

RuthlessBurgher
12-31-2009, 12:45 PM
[quote="Iron Shiek":y0c6qoeq]While reading that I was wrestling in my mind it that was a brilliant move or a boneheaded move. On the one hand, you calling these teams out and saying they don't want to play us in the playoffs might fire them up to play hard and get that chance to meet us. On the other hand, you can pis them off and have them say who does this young'n think he is callin us out, we will just lay down and you can watch us from your couch. I'd vote for the first one seeing as NFL'ers are all ultra competitive.

Jim Ross: "GOOD GOD, THATS THE CRANIUM'S MUSIC!"[/quote:y0c6qoeq]

[youtube:y0c6qoeq]RijB8wnJCN0[/youtube:y0c6qoeq]

:lol:

Jooser
12-31-2009, 12:58 PM
[youtube:36jkjrz5]<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ubZjbmA1Id0&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ubZjbmA1Id0&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>[/youtube:36jkjrz5]

:lol:

Sugar
12-31-2009, 01:09 PM
Is it too much to ask to just beat Miami? This season has been the most disappointing in all my years as a Steelers fan, could we just get out of it with a winning record?

pfelix73
12-31-2009, 01:38 PM
No offense, but 1. you are either pretty young or you haven't been a Steeler fan all that long. I remember losing seasons back in the late 80's that were worse than this. I can remember the Steelers losing 2 games at the beginning of the season to the Browns and Bengals and the scores were like 45-0 and 52-0 (along those lines) then remarkably Noll led them back that year to a nice finish. It was a disappointing year, but hey, we just won the 6th Lombardy 11 months ago.

As far the Pats* and Bengals not having any incentive- if the Pats* lose and the Bengals win, the Bengals get the 3rd seed. Just depends looking ahead, if you want to go to SD or Indy. So, the PAts* are going to have incentive to play, unless Brady is hurt and needs the rest.

Whatever happens----happens...

:tt1

Shoe
12-31-2009, 04:50 PM
No offense, but 1. you are either pretty young or you haven't been a Steeler fan all that long. I remember losing seasons back in the late 80's that were worse than this. I can remember the Steelers losing 2 games at the beginning of the season to the Browns and Bengals and the scores were like 45-0 and 52-0 (along those lines) then remarkably Noll led them back that year to a nice finish.

It just shows how spoiled we've been lucky enough to become, as Steeler fans. (Incidently, that's why I feel I've earned my stripes as a Steeler fan--I became a fan at the end of the 70's, and I endured the 80's = lot's of mediocrity. Youngsters who became a fan in the 90's have never seen any extended misery.)

As for Woodley's comments, it is what it is. I have no expectations anyway, after the 5-game L streak. I'm just milking all the enjoyment from these last few weeks--cuz it's a long :( wait til NFL football (Steeler football) comes back in September. :cry:

Wolfhound45
12-31-2009, 05:21 PM

:Agree

- Oakland

- Kansas City

- Cleveland

Win any ONE of those games and we are in.

We have no one to blame other than ourselves.

Discipline of Steel
12-31-2009, 09:05 PM
Dont forget 2 losses to the Bengals. No offense JOM, but that should never happen again.

The Browns loss was pathetic.

BrownSteel
12-31-2009, 10:46 PM
It's not the losses, it's who we lost to. If we won against any two of these (Cleveland, KC, or Oakland) and lost against GB and Minnesota, we would be in better shape because of conference wins even at 8-7.

kindlecatsb'ng
01-01-2010, 09:42 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=m ... &type=lgns (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-thegameface010110&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

Article about teams seeking playoff berths that are unworthy to be there...

HAPPY NEW YEAR, ALL

NJ-STEELER
01-02-2010, 12:36 AM
so if we beat cleveland, KC and oakland

and lost to Balt (at home), denver, san diego

you guys wouldn't feel so bad about being out of the playoff picture?

Shawn
01-02-2010, 02:48 AM
No offense, but 1. you are either pretty young or you haven't been a Steeler fan all that long. I remember losing seasons back in the late 80's that were worse than this. I can remember the Steelers losing 2 games at the beginning of the season to the Browns and Bengals and the scores were like 45-0 and 52-0 (along those lines) then remarkably Noll led them back that year to a nice finish. It was a disappointing year, but hey, we just won the 6th Lombardy 11 months ago.

As far the Pats* and Bengals not having any incentive- if the Pats* lose and the Bengals win, the Bengals get the 3rd seed. Just depends looking ahead, if you want to go to SD or Indy. So, the PAts* are going to have incentive to play, unless Brady is hurt and needs the rest.

No doubt...I became a Steeler fan after the 81 season. I know what it is to be disappointed in a football team. This season is like ice capades compared to the Mark Malone days.

NorthCoast
01-02-2010, 10:47 AM

All things considered, I have witnessed much more disappointing seasons. Keep in mind that we were "in" nearly every game this season. The blowouts pfelix mentions were heart-breaking and embarassing. I can't honestly say that I have been 'embarassed' by their play this year. However, I have been disappointed by certain players. I understand you can't have pro-bowlers at every position in this era, but at least having adequate substitutes is a must.

papillon
01-02-2010, 11:23 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-thegameface010110&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Article about teams seeking playoff berths that are unworthy to be there...

HAPPY NEW YEAR, ALL

Yea, a sixth seed has never won the Super Bowl...oh, wait... :P That's just a hatorade article by some mushbrained writer that knows very little. On any given day...

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
01-02-2010, 05:11 PM
No doubt...I became a Steeler fan after the 81 season. I know what it is to be disappointed in a football team. This season is like ice capades compared to the Mark Malone days.

I'm in a similar scenario. Having been born in 1975, I was too young to remember any of the first 4 Super Bowl wins as they were happening. I started following the Steelers in the early-to-mid 80's (around the same age as my son now...he's 8 and I have taken him to his first two games at Heinz this year).