PDA

View Full Version : Heath DOESN'T make pro bowl

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Dallas Clark, Antonio Gates. I wonder how close the voting was.

Djfan
12-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Our offense is the laughing stock of the NFL. We won the SB and can't score in the red zone? No one takes us seriously.

This insult of Miller brought to you by Bruce A!

calmkiller
12-29-2009, 10:07 PM
That's bs Clark isn't even a te anymore. He is a wr. I've never seen him block sh!t.

Mel Blount's G
12-29-2009, 10:09 PM
That's bs Clark isn't even a te anymore. He is a wr. I've never seen him block sh!t.
Good point.

skyhawk
12-29-2009, 10:11 PM
A total disgrace.

People are NOT paying attention. The best all around TE in the past 5 years IS Heath Miller.

The pro bowl is a popularity contest like from high school.

skyhawk
12-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Good point.

I always say this too. But, in my mind Clark has never really been any sort of TE other than the fact that he is a WR playing "tight" next to the tackle and in a 3 point stance. That's all.

feltdizz
12-29-2009, 11:35 PM
Sorry guys but I watch so many games where the TE's catch passes and runs around guys. Just last night I saw Cutler... Yep Cutler, throw to some TE #82 and he was killing the Vikes. Same guy who killed us when we playd Chicago.

We love Miller but other teams have better TE's who run after the catch. I just think fans love Miller so much they forget other teams have guys doing similar things. Miller is great for US... but he isn't pro bowl this year IMO.

stlrz d
12-29-2009, 11:53 PM
Greg Olson (#82) isn't exactly known for his blocking.

See, a TE is supposed to be a pass catcher AND a blocker. Heath does both quite well...that's why he is so highly thought of.

feltdizz
12-30-2009, 12:38 AM

See, a TE is supposed to be a pass catcher AND a blocker. Heath does both quite well...that's why he is so highly thought of.

yeah... Our run game isn't really that high profile to prove his blocking is so great.
..and sorry to say but Miller is not a great run blocker, he is servicable but nothing to write home about.

Regardless of my opinion of his blocking skills... Those skills win games and are great for the team concept but not for the individual, they don't get pro bowl votes. Cutler made the pro bowl last year. It wasn't for his game winning ability either. It's a stat heavy game

thanks for the heads up on what a TE does though..

BATMAN
12-30-2009, 12:46 AM
every time the annoucers give praise to heath, he either gets called for a hold or gets run over while he is trying to block.

i like heath and all but i really don't see him as much as a blocker as much as i see him as a receiver. his blocking skills are okay or slightly above good and after the cacth, he doesn't seem to have the yak.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-30-2009, 09:06 AM
Shame. Heath is a great TE & I think I saw him drop a total of 4 or 5 passes the entire season, maybe less.

TallyStiller
12-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Different teams do different things with the position. Kind of like when Mike Alstott and Tony Richardson kept going to the Pro Bowl at fullback. Could either of those guys block? Not a chance... but because they got the ball more frequently, they garnered attention.

Dallas Clark has been a GREAT pass catching TE for years, but this is his first Pro Bowl... and not coincidentally, the first season in a decade that Tony Gonzalez isn't on the AFC squad. He deserves it and it's his time, IMHO.

Truthfully, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see NOBODY off of this enormous disappointment of a team in the Pro Bowl.

stlrz d
12-30-2009, 09:47 AM

yeah... Our run game isn't really that high profile to prove his blocking is so great.
..and sorry to say but Miller is not a great run blocker, he is servicable but nothing to write home about.

Regardless of my opinion of his blocking skills... Those skills win games and are great for the team concept but not for the individual, they don't get pro bowl votes. Cutler made the pro bowl last year. It wasn't for his game winning ability either. It's a stat heavy game

thanks for the heads up on what a TE does though..

Always happy to help those who need it. ;)

Jom112
12-30-2009, 09:54 AM
I've seen the Colts line Clark up as a FB in addition to WR and TE. He's versatile and I don't think having versatility should exclude you from making the pro bowl.

He's had a great season, he deserves to go. Plus Clark has never made a Pro Bowl until now. Can't hate on him making it finally...

RuthlessBurgher
12-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Although Miller had career high stats this season (71-733-5), it is hard to argue against Gates' 78-1145-7 or Clark's 93-1054-10, since we all know that the Pro Bowl will always be about stats accumulation over all else.

However, with the Colts and Chargers being the top 2 seeds in the AFC, if one of those teams makes the Super Bowl, that TE cannot play in the Pro Bowl, since will be held in Miami the weekend before the Super Bowl instead of in Hawaii the weekend after the Super Bowl. I would expect that Heath would be next in line to play in the Pro Bowl over Oakland's Zach Miller (59-767-2), although I have not seen the official "first alternate, second alternate" lists yet to be certain.

Iron Shiek
12-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Although Miller had career high stats this season (71-733-5), it is hard to argue against Gates' 78-1145-7 or Clark's 93-1054-10, since we all know that the Pro Bowl will always be about stats accumulation over all else.

However, with the Colts and Chargers being the top 2 seeds in the AFC, if one of those teams makes the Super Bowl, that TE cannot play in the Pro Bowl, since will be held in Miami the weekend before the Super Bowl instead of in Hawaii the weekend after the Super Bowl. I would expect that Heath would be next in line to play in the Pro Bowl over Oakland's Zach Miller (59-767-2), although I have not seen the official "first alternate, second alternate" lists yet to be certain.

Hence my same explanation regarding Big Ben earlier. I imagine we will see a few more Steelers get in...but I could really care less about the Pro Bowl. I never watch it. I anticipate more people watching it now though seeing as its part of the build up to the big game.

feltdizz
12-30-2009, 11:39 AM

Hence my same explanation regarding Big Ben earlier. I imagine we will see a few more Steelers get in...but I could really care less about the Pro Bowl. I never watch it. I anticipate more people watching it now though seeing as its part of the build up to the big game.

I bet players care a lot though....I imagine it's great for contract negotiations and locker room banter. Espicially for the lucky few on terrible teams... I agree though, I don't watch more than a few plays, it bores me.

bostonsteeler
12-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Shame. Heath is a great TE & I think I saw him drop a total of 4 or 5 passes the entire season, maybe less.

One of them became an int that cost us a game, and may cost us the playoffs..

buckeyehoppy
12-31-2009, 07:42 PM

That makes him a complete player, right?

I was just wondering why that doesn't make him a Pro Bowler. Thanx for clearing that up, D!