PDA

View Full Version : Why?? 46 Man Active on Gameday

SidSmythe
12-29-2009, 04:34 PM
OK...
Why does the NFL allow only 46 men to be active on gameday???

In a sport w/ so many injuries and much fatigue, why not let the full roster dress??? or at least 48 to account for a Long Snapper and another Special Teams player

Iron Shiek
12-29-2009, 04:42 PM
I searched around a bit, and it doesn't seem like there is a hard and fast reason why its 46. All I could find was that the 8 inactives help achieve competitive balance so that both teams are fielding a full roster of relatively healthy people. But that wasn't from a very reputable source. I'm not sure the ramifications of expanding it. Its gotta have something to do with the CBA I imagine. But you would think the union would want more active players, since it aids in the health of players (normal position guys not having to play special teams) and those inactive guys get a game check anyway...

RuthlessBurgher
12-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Yeah, it is a competitive balance issue. If everyone on the roster was able to dress but one team has 6 guys hurt that week and the other team has only 1 guy hurt, then you'd have one team playing the game with 52 men available to them, while the other team had only 47 men available. By making it so that both teams dress 46 players out of their 53 man roster on gameday, it evens things out.

With rumors of more games (17 or 18) possibly on the horizon in the future, it appears that the league will look into expanding the overall roster limit as well as the amount of players available on gameday. I think that they should also look into incorporating a short-term I.R. in which players could be out for 4, 6, or 8 weeks but then be eligible to come back, instead of I.R. always being a season-ending thing.

Iron Shiek
12-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Yeah, it is a competitive balance issue. If everyone on the roster was able to dress but one team has 6 guys hurt that week and the other team has only 1 guy hurt, then you'd have one team playing the game with 52 men available to them, while the other team had only 47 men available. By making it so that both teams dress 46 players out of their 53 man roster on gameday, it evens things out.

With rumors of more games (17 or 18) possibly on the horizon in the future, it appears that the league will look into expanding the overall roster limit as well as the amount of players available on gameday. I think that they should also look into incorporating a short-term I.R. in which players could be out for 4, 6, or 8 weeks but then be eligible to come back, instead of I.R. always being a season-ending thing.

While I'd love to see more games, so many guys get hurt pretty bad every week, I can't see it as a good thing for the league, even with tweaking roster rules. I have NFL alerts on my phone, and I get like 3-4 text alerts every week about a team putting a player on season ending IR. It sucks. Short term IR could help, but you just need more bodies to feed to the wolves.

SidSmythe
12-29-2009, 04:58 PM
I think they should adopt the MLB pitcher rule.

Too bad they didn't allow teams to dress 53 men.
Then allow 46 to be active.

If someone goes down, declare that person out for the game and add a replacement to the active roster.

Iron Shiek
12-29-2009, 05:03 PM
I think they should adopt the MLB pitcher rule.

Too bad they didn't allow teams to dress 53 men.
Then allow 46 to be active.

If someone goes down, declare that person out for the game and add a replacement to the active roster.

Well they kinda do that with the emergency 3rd qb rule don't they? You have the 3rd QB, but he can only come in if needed, and you aren't allowed to put the other guy back in. I don't see why that can't be expanded.