PDA

View Full Version : Steelers add cornerback to roster; Keenan Lewis to IR

PSU_dropout43
12-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Steelers add cornerback to roster

The Steelers have signed first-year cornerback Trae Williams to their 53-man roster and placed rookie cornerback Keenan Lewis on the injured reserve list with a back injury, ending his season.

Williams, a fifth-round draft choice in 2008 by the Jacksonville Jaguars, had been on the Seattle Seahawks practice squad. He was released by the Jaguars before the start of the 2008 season and spent last season on the Philadelphia Eagles practice squad.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09363/10 ... z0b6noDSSF (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09363/1024373-100.stm#ixzz0b6noDSSF)

RuthlessBurgher
12-29-2009, 03:50 PM
I remember being interested in Williams a couple of years ago as a mid-round CB prospect. If I recall correctly, he was the guy who played opposite of Cowboys' first round pick Michael Jenkins at South Florida.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Don't know what to think here. The Steelers must know a little about this kid...Maybe they liked him coming out of college. Looks like a cover 2 guy. If they were looking for a player who could help on STs who was a vet...I would have considered Carroll or Miller. Maybe they don't like the risk reward. Just hope the Lewis injury is nothing serious. I still believe it is his back (ribs).

RuthlessBurgher
12-29-2009, 05:17 PM
It is smart to put some of your injured guys on I.R. at this point and then sign guys that you think may be promising from other team's practice squads. That way, you'll have this new blood (as well as the injured guys who have healed during the offseason) during your minicamps, OTA's, training camp, etc.

SteelAbility
12-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Not to harp on this William Gay thing, but I looked up Keenan Lewis' 40 time. He was consistently clocked right around 4.5 at 208 pounds and 6'1". William Gay was clocked at 4.67 at 184 pounds and 5'10". I know that these stats don't tell the whole story, but this alone warrants some consternation. You have more speed, size, and power cut or benched and someone who is completely overmatched put in a starting role. Something just ain't right there.

NW Steeler
12-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Has Lewis played at all this year? What is the story with him?

TallyStiller
12-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Some draft analyses I read said that Lewis would be a poor fit for our system, because he wasn't asked to do a lot of the things he would need to do here in college. I have to believe they look at him as an Ike Taylor type project - great measureables and physical ability, but one who's going to require a couple of years to coach up. If DeShea doesn't decline and Gay doesn't fall flat on his face on the big stage, we're not having this conversation, and Lewis is quietly growing into the position.

Trae Williams was actually a prospect who looked a little like Gay coming out... and Gay, in turn, we compared to DeShea on draft day. Not a ton of speed, measureables so - so, but a guy with great instincts and nose for the ball, somebody who ended up with a lot of picks. I believe Gay was the all time INT's leader in the Big East in his career. Moreover, Williams' time in Tampa at USF would have at least partially coincided with Tomlin's time with Tampa Bay as secondary coach, so one has to guess that he knows something about him.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Not to harp on this William Gay thing, but I looked up Keenan Lewis' 40 time. He was consistently clocked right around 4.5 at 208 pounds and 6'1". William Gay was clocked at 4.67 at 184 pounds and 5'10". I know that these stats don't tell the whole story, but this alone warrants some consternation. You have more speed, size, and power cut or benched and someone who is completely overmatched put in a starting role. Something just ain't right there.

Not that it matters...But Gay ran a 4.48 at his proday.

You can't look at 40 times. You have to look at the cone drills...Especially for a DB. They are actually more important than anything else. Their ability to start & stop, change direction is more important. Some guys work on their start out of the box and we have seen numerous stories about how the top guys train for this because it could give them that 10th and make them millions. Shorter guys with short legs sometimes struggle in posting low 40 times but there cone drills are off the chart. This is a long discussion.

Football speed is all that matters. To give you something to think about. Our fastest guy in shorts in the spring was actually the 3rd fastest in sprints with pads on. Just a little bit of weight or restriction slows you down. At the NFL level, I could imagine what the scale is. That is why you see WRs & DBs not wearing certain pads, braces, or downsizing equipment as much as possible. It would be more of an exact science if they played in shorts but the saying "put on the tape" really means something.