PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu may return against Dolphins

PSU_dropout43
12-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Polamalu may return against Dolphins

Safety Troy Polamalu, who has missed the past six Steelers games with a knee injury, ran yesterday and today and has a chance to return to play Sunday in Miami.

"The door is not closed,'' said coach Mike Tomlin.

Polamalu has missed a total of 10 games with two separate injuries to his left knee.

Among other injuries listed by Tomlin today were halfback Willie Parker (shoulder), guard Chris Kemoeatu (wrist), defensive end Brett Keisel (neck) and wide receiver Hines Ward (both hamstrings).

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09363/10 ... z0b6SqTmS6 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09363/1024365-100.stm#ixzz0b6SqTmS6)

SteelAbility
12-29-2009, 02:45 PM
IMO, given our shaky playoff situation Troy should not play in this game or should come in with limited use. If he comes in and tears it up, then that's going to change CIN's view of their game. If they have a shot a the 3-seed, then why would they take it knowing they would have to face us with a healthy Troy? It would be nice to have the luxury of playing him and getting him acclimated again, but we just don't have that. We need help getting in and playing Troy is simply "showing the cards."

RuthlessBurgher
12-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Polamalu may not be ready for return
Associated Press
Updated: December 29, 2009, 1:16 PM ET

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers safety Troy Polamalu may not be ready to play Sunday in Miami.

Polamalu, out for the last six games and most of a seventh with a left knee injury, began running in a straight line only Monday. He has yet to begun cutting, turning or twisting, moves needed to play in a game.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday the five-time Pro Bowl player would be limited if he practices this week. Polamalu said recently he hoped to return for the Dolphins' game.

Because of two ligament injuries in the same knee, Polamalu has played only three full games this season -- all of which the Steelers (8-7) won.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4779141

RuthlessBurgher
12-29-2009, 04:38 PM
Polamalu's status for game vs. Dolphins uncertain
Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers safety Troy Polamalu may not be ready to play Sunday in Miami.

Polamalu, out for the last six games and most of a seventh with a left knee injury, began running in a straight line only Monday. He has yet to begun cutting, turning or twisting, moves needed to play in a game.

Polamalu also is running in a swimming pool.

"(Monday) was a positive step," coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday. "The door's not closed on him participating. ... He's just progressing, trying to get him ready, hopefully to play."

The five-time Pro Bowl player will be limited if he practices, Tomlin said. Last week, Polamalu said he probably needed a full week of practice before he could play again.

Several weeks ago, Polamalu pointed to the Miami game for his return. However, he probably must show he can move freely and make sharp cuts on a knee that's mending from a sprained posterior cruciate ligament before he is cleared to play for the first time since Nov. 15.

"Yeah, no question," Tomlin said. "The unanticipated movement that comes with playing football, changing direction, dropping your weight and so forth, will be critical in him getting clearance to play. Absolutely."

Polamalu has played only three full games this season -- all of which the Steelers (8-7) won -- due to two ligament injuries in his left knee. The Steelers must win at Miami (7-8) to retain any chance of making the AFC playoffs.

Wide receiver Hines Ward is expected to play despite having two injured hamstrings. He received treatment on Tuesday, the usual day off for players.

"Hines is miserable, but I'm going to save a seat on the bus for him," Tomlin said. "He's got two hamstrings and a myriad of other issues. It gives him a bad disposition, but he'll show. He's going to leave it out on the field. He's going to give us everything he has."

Backup running back Willie Parker (shoulder) will not practice Wednesday and could miss what might be his final game with Pittsburgh. He is unsigned past this season.

Defensive end Brett Keisel (back) is expected to play, but left guard Chris Kemoeatu (wrist) may not know his status until later in the week. He missed the last two games.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8155a984&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

papillon
12-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Let me just say this about Troy and any other football player that has been injured. If the doctors clear him to play he will play regardless of whether the Steelers can make the playoffs or not. He's a football player and he wants to be on the field when he can. A good career without any post season appearances would give a player about 160 games (10 years and the average is probably only 4 or 5 years) in which to play. Troy has missed 10 games this year that's about 7% of the games in which he can expect to play.

Forget saving him, if he's cleared to play, he will play and hopefully, stay healthy.

Pappy

Iron Shiek
12-29-2009, 04:48 PM
"Hines is miserable, but I'm going to save a seat on the bus for him," Tomlin said. "He's got two hamstrings and a myriad of other issues. It gives him a bad disposition, but he'll show

This made me laugh for various reasons. Most notably that we all have two hamstrings, but besides that, the fact that he lists him as miserable cracked me up. Can we put that on the injury report.

Questionable: Hines Ward (misery)

Jooser
12-29-2009, 04:52 PM
[quote="Mike Tomlin":fb2vjv2b]"Hines is miserable, but I'm going to save a seat on the bus for him," Tomlin said. "He's got two hamstrings and a myriad of other issues. It gives him a bad disposition, but he'll show

This made me laugh for various reasons. Most notably that we all have two hamstrings, but besides that, the fact that he lists him as miserable cracked me up. Can we put that on the injury report.

Questionable: Hines Ward (misery)[/quote:fb2vjv2b]

Hines is like a dog that just got clipped by a VW, a little sore but cranky as hell. Touch at your own risk! :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
12-29-2009, 04:52 PM
[quote="Mike Tomlin":20nxgukh]"Hines is miserable, but I'm going to save a seat on the bus for him," Tomlin said. "He's got two hamstrings and a myriad of other issues. It gives him a bad disposition, but he'll show

Questionable: Hines Ward (misery)[/quote:20nxgukh]

"Hines has two hamstrings, but only one ACL." :lol:

SteelAbility
12-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Let me just say this about Troy and any other football player that has been injured. If the doctors clear him to play he will play regardless of whether the Steelers can make the playoffs or not. He's a football player and he wants to be on the field when he can. A good career without any post season appearances would give a player about 160 games (10 years and the average is probably only 4 or 5 years) in which to play. Troy has missed 10 games this year that's about 7% of the games in which he can expect to play.

Forget saving him, if he's cleared to play, he will play and hopefully, stay healthy.

Pappy

Under normal circumstances I totally agree with you. But this is different. Playing Troy jeapordizes the help we need. NOONE wants to face us with a healthy and active Troy playing, particularly the team (CIN) who would have to face us in their 1st game if they played to win and let us through.

feltdizz
12-29-2009, 11:39 PM
We need Troy to stop the wildcat. If we were out of contention then sit him.

Then again... Our D isn't the problem it's BA so sit him. We just don't score enough points.

Shawn
12-30-2009, 12:08 AM

Then again... Our D isn't the problem it's BA so sit him. We just don't score enough points.

This isn't the Ronnie Brown Wildcat. I think we will be ok.

Iron Shiek
12-30-2009, 09:55 AM

This isn't the Ronnie Brown Wildcat. I think we will be ok.

Not only that, but Ricky is banged up and not necessarily an ideal Wildcat RB. They have Lex Hilliard, who filled in admirably for Ricky. But since (the) Brown went down, they've become a passing team. They have been trailing alot thanks to their pourous defense (sound familiar), so I can see why Henne's attempts have been up recently.

Pittsburgh
12-30-2009, 09:35 PM
Polamalu unlikely to play for Steelers Sunday
Wednesday, December 30, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers safety Troy Polamalu went through a limited practice today but acknowledged that it would be unreasonable for him to play Sunday in Miami after a six-game layoff with a knee injury.

"For me, no, but I haven't done it before,'' Polamalu said.

With a brace on the left knee that was injured Nov. 22 in Kansas City, Polamalu pulled on his No. 43 jersey and helmet and practiced with his teammates for the first time today. He has missed 10 full games and most of two others with two separate injuries to his left knee. His MCL was sprained in the first quarter of the opener and his PCL was sprained early in his fourth game back.

Coach Mike Tomlin reported that the PCL injury was not as serious as first thought and listed Polamalu as "questionable" for several weeks on the injury report. Tomlin later acknowledged that the first prognosis was overly optimistic.

Polamalu, though, said his absence since the injury is about how long he was told to expect.

"I think this is honestly what they expected with the original diagnosis of the second injury,'' Polamalu said. "But it is frustrating."

Polamalu said there is more to it than the injured PCL healing.

"Whenever you take this much time off it's kind of a mix of everything. It's trying to get your nervous system right, trying to get muscle bulk from the atrophy, trying to get some strength back . . .

"It's a process of even seeing looks at this point in the season. Had I been 100 percent healthy I probably wouldn't be practicing any faster than I am now. We'll see when the time comes."

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09364/10 ... z0bE4frkHn (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09364/1024651-66.stm#ixzz0bE4frkHn)