PDA

View Full Version : Stay Classy Indy

Iron Shiek
12-29-2009, 09:40 AM
I never knew Bill Polian had this reputation as a jerk off, I'm glad the fans laid into him. But just like his team, he "took an Indy" with 10 minutes to go. Douchebaggery at its finest.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/28/plug-gets-pulled-early-on-polians-weekly-radio-show/

Plug gets pulled early on Polian's weekly radio show
Posted by Mike Florio on December 28, 2009 8:53 PM ET
As it turns out, Colts coach Jim Caldwell wasn't the only guy taking heat for the ill-advised decision to throw back a chance at perfection like a fish not big enough to be a "keeper."

Team president Bill Polian has been getting hammered, too. And he faced the wrath of Colts fans during his Monday radio show.

And as pointed out by the folks at StampedeBlue.com, the one-hour program abruptly ended with 10 minutes to go, just as a caller had Polian on the run regarding Polian's position that injured starters shouldn't play in a meaningless game. The caller correctly explained that the decision to remove quarterback Peyton Manning and other healthy players had nothing to do with injuries.

At that point, the show went dead.

As StampedeBlue.com aptly puts it, "[J]ust like pulling the starters Sunday, Bill Polian seemed to pull himself out of the show early to avoid further injury."

Per the blog, Polian was "rude" throughout the show to callers who took exception with the decision not to go for the win.

Plenty of league insiders will respond to this news by concluding that Polian's temper has finally caught up with him -- and by taking a certain amount of pleasure in seeing him get what plenty of league insiders believe he deserves for years of subjecting folks in the business to the same attitude he demonstrated on Monday night when criticized for blowing a chance at perfection.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-29-2009, 10:19 AM
It's when I hear things like this that I realize how lucky we are. Our owner doesn't use his investment in the team to buy publicity, no Rooney Radio Show, or even press interviews. Heck, our head coach doesn't even have a radio show, and I don't really hear much from him except during the mandatory NFL press conferences.

The Jerry Jones' and Polian's of the world are pretty sickening, IMO. And then Polian can't even take the heat in his own kitchen - ha ha ha ha ha!

RuthlessBurgher
12-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Bill Polian isn't the owner...he's the GM (well, actually, his son Chris Polian was just given a contract extension that makes him the actual GM, but Bill still has an important role in the front office...I'm not sure of the actual job titles, though). The Irsays own the Colts, not the Polians.

And for what it is worth, in addition to the mandatory weekly coach's press conference, there is also a Mike Tomlin Show with Stan Savran on FSN Pittsburgh television each week. No Rooney shows or Kevin Colbert shows on TV or radio that I am aware of, though.

Pittsburgh
12-29-2009, 11:01 AM
I keep hearing these "experts" on ESPN and the NFLN talk about how it wasn't right for the players. Most of them being former players. How about the fans? They are the ones who are not making 8 million a year, but who are paying almost $8.00 for a beer and making those players and owners very rich on a yearly basis.

If I were a Colts season ticket holder instead of a Steelers season ticket holder, I would be pretty pissed off at the Indy organization. It's bad enough we are made to pay the same price for preseason tickets that we pay for our regular season tickets, but to make season ticket holders watch second and third stringers in the month of December when your team has a chance at perfection? That's not right.

Sorry for the vent. :oops:

Iron Shiek
12-29-2009, 11:14 AM
I keep hearing these "experts" on ESPN and the NFLN talk about how it wasn't right for the players. Most of them being former players. How about the fans? They are the ones who are not making 8 million a year, but who are paying almost $8.00 for a beer and making those players and owners very rich on a yearly basis.

If I were a Colts season ticket holder instead of a Steelers season ticket holder, I would be pretty pissed off at the Indy organization. It's bad enough we are made to pay the same price for preseason tickets that we pay for our regular season tickets, but to make season ticket holders watch second and third stringers in the month of December when your team has a chance at perfection? That's not right.

No problem! You are correct. And that was part of the reason fans were calling in. I heard a guy call in on NFL Radio on Sirius and pretty much say the same thing you did but even went further regarding avoiding injuries. He was mad because players get hurt in practice as well and cited Marlon Jackson going out for the year during practice (and another example I can't remember). So what do you do, not let them practice either? Or practice half a$s? Yeah smart, no practice or games for 3-4 weeks...? Its a joke.

RuthlessBurgher
12-29-2009, 11:24 AM
If you are a playoff team with nothing left to play for at the end of the regular season...seeding cannot improve or decline on the basis of a win or loss...the strategy should be that they should rest injured players (i.e. if you are on the injury report as questionable during the week and might otherwise try to gut it out if this were a truly meaningful game, you will be declared inactive in this case). However, all players not on the injury report should play, and play for the entire game (unless it is an absolute blowout in either direction...if you are up by 4 TD's or down by 4 TD's then take your starters out...not when it is a 15-10 game early in the 3rd quarter).

Iron Shiek
12-29-2009, 11:26 AM
If you are a playoff team with nothing left to play for at the end of the regular season...seeding cannot improve or decline on the basis of a win or loss...the strategy should be that they should rest injured players (i.e. if you are on the injury report as questionable during the week and might otherwise try to gut it out if this were a truly meaningful game, you will be declared inactive in this case). However, all players not on the injury report should play, and play for the entire game (unless it is an absolute blowout in either direction...if you are up by 4 TD's or down by 4 TD's then take your starters out...not when it is a 15-10 game early in the 3rd quarter).

Nice guidelines. Can we get Emperor Goodell to implement this as new rules for this weekend!? I guess then we'd see Manning on the injury report as Questionable with a ruptured cuticle.

RuthlessBurgher
12-29-2009, 11:30 AM

Nice guidelines. Can we get Emperor Goodell to implement this as new rules for this weekend!? I guess then we'd see Manning on the injury report as Questionable with a labial contusion.

Fixed that for you. :P

papillon
12-29-2009, 01:39 PM

Every star player would be listed as out for the game. They could just declare early on that we're resting starters and they aren't playing only as the emergency player at their position. What was difficult to swallow was the fact that Manning, Freeney, Wayne, et al started the game as if they wanted to win it. Then they were pulled in the 3rd quarter. Had the Colts simply said, we're going with Painter today and Manning is the emergency quarterback I would be okay with their decision to rest the starters.

Yanking them in the third with a precarious lead was bush league in my opinion.

Pappy

skyhawk
12-29-2009, 08:49 PM

Excellent point.

I don't really mind the Colts decision to pull players. Especially since I am not a fan. But if the Steelers were in a similar situation and I was a season ticket holder I might be a little pissed. Not sure though.

With all the media attention (It's all about me society) I doubt the coach makes the same decision. It's just not worth putting up with all the crap.

feltdizz
12-29-2009, 11:52 PM
If Peyton gets hurt then the fans ask why he is in...
I do understand the frustration since they started... And the pursuit of perfection was in the air..

However I remember seeing FWP run wild on buffalo and I doubt anyone cared because we won. I don't think Bettis started but so what. Most teams sit after clinching....

I don't think it was right because peyton has a history of choking after sitting but hey.. the fans will be alrght and you will see other teams who clinch do the same. I would be mad as hell if I bought tickets thinking I will see perfection.

stlrz d
12-29-2009, 11:57 PM
I think the Colts put MORE pressure on themselves with this move.

They made the statement that perfection means nothing to them...all they care about is the championship.

If they don't win it all they are going to get LAMBASTED by the fans, the media...basically by everyone.

Starlifter
12-30-2009, 12:04 AM
they had a legitimate chance at running the table. no way they lose to the jets and the bills. they are the clear favorites to win the AFC. Such opportunities come rarely in the NFL. No one believes the injury B.S. If that were true, why even start them? They should have played full throttle and put the game out of reach. THEN, you can pull your starters.

low class loser mentality. they'll rest again this week, have another week off and if they come out flat in the playoffs and lose like in 2005 - Polian should be fired.

feltdizz
12-30-2009, 12:25 AM
they had a legitimate chance at running the table. no way they lose to the jets and the bills. they are the clear favorites to win the AFC. Such opportunities come rarely in the NFL. No one believes the injury B.S. If that were true, why even start them? They should have played full throttle and put the game out of reach. THEN, you can pull your starters.

low class loser mentality. they'll rest again this week, have another week off and if they come out flat in the playoffs and lose like in 2005 - Polian should be fired.

honestly they could run the table and still choke... It's not like the Colts have blown teams out... Seems like every week they trail in the 4th but pull out wins. NE gift wrapped a sure loss and turned it into a W.

Starlifter
12-30-2009, 12:35 AM
honestly they could run the table and still choke... It's not like the Colts have blown teams out... Seems like every week they trail in the 4th but pull out wins. NE gift wrapped a sure loss and turned it into a W.

guess we'll never know now eh? thanks polian.....