PDA

View Full Version : Great play, MAX STARKS...

LordVile
12-29-2009, 01:17 AM
One play stood out particularly to me watching the game. In the 1st quarter at the 4:00 minute mark (the play when FWP got the 12 yrd gain for the 1st down) STARKS threw one of the charging rushers behind him to allow Ben to give the hand off and then knocked a charging line backer forward around 4 yards on his asss!! It was quite awesome as I rewound it several times. We need more of this offensive mandhandling for the run game. Last time I remember good blocking was the emmergence of MENDY against BOLTS with KEMO.

calmkiller
12-29-2009, 09:00 AM
One play a season does not make...

steelblood
12-29-2009, 10:11 AM
One play a season does not make...

Starks has had a few bad games (like last week), but overall, he's played well this year. He is a competent LT. He is not the reason that this team has struggled.

Also, that was an awesome play. I rewound it too.

frankthetank1
12-29-2009, 11:58 AM
yeah i noticed that play, it was pretty sweet. good to see him rebound from getting abused by clay matthews. max has had a solid season.

Shoe
12-29-2009, 02:40 PM
He is a competent LT.

I think that description applies to many of our guys: Starks, Colon, Kemo, Hartwig--competent.

The problem is, we have no guys you can rely on like 100%... like bedrock. A guy you can hang your hat. We need one. Also, most of the guys mentioned above aren't the brightest bulbs on the Christmas lights. I'm not at all disappointed in Starks year though--pleasantly surprised.

RuthlessBurgher
12-29-2009, 02:54 PM
He is a competent LT.

I think that description applies to many of our guys: Starks, Colon, Kemo, Hartwig--competent.

The problem is, we have no guys you can rely on like 100%... like bedrock. A guy you can hang your hat. We need one. Also, most of the guys mentioned above aren't the brightest bulbs on the Christmas lights. I'm not at all disappointed in Starks year though--pleasantly surprised.

Now that you mention it, we have always had at least one beast along the o-line that was worthy of HoF consideration, but no one even remotely close to that area code anymore. We had Webster, then came Dawson, then Faneca (at a different position, mind you, but still, he was dominant in his prime). Now, we have a bunch of C+/B- kind of guys. Even a few years ago, in addition to Faneca, we had Marvel and Hartings on that line, who were both B+/A- type guys.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-29-2009, 09:15 PM
He is a competent LT.

Now that you mention it, we have always had at least one beast along the o-line that was worthy of HoF consideration, but no one even remotely close to that area code anymore. We had Webster, then came Dawson, then Faneca (at a different position, mind you, but still, he was dominant in his prime). Now, we have a bunch of C+/B- kind of guys. Even a few years ago, in addition to Faneca, we had Marvel and Hartings on that line, who were both B+/A- type guys.

I think we need a rock solid C to solidify everything. If we are staying with a passing type offense too I hope they get some quicker, stout players instead of huge frankenstein behemoths that can't move at all.

If I were gameplanning against the Steelers I would blitz my fastest LB or S to Starks side about 20 times a game. That steroid freak from the Chargers, Merriman, exposed him not being able to even come close to blocking speed rushers a couple years ago..

stlrz d
12-29-2009, 11:26 PM
One play stood out particularly to me watching the game. In the 1st quarter at the 4:00 minute mark (the play when FWP got the 12 yrd gain for the 1st down) STARKS threw one of the charging rushers behind him to allow Ben to give the hand off and then knocked a charging line backer forward around 4 yards on his asss!! It was quite awesome as I rewound it several times. We need more of this offensive mandhandling for the run game. Last time I remember good blocking was the emmergence of MENDY against BOLTS with KEMO.

I'm watching the replay on NFLN right now and Tomlin was praising Starks for that play.

NJ-STEELER
12-29-2009, 11:35 PM
He is a competent LT.

i think if you look around the league at the top OL units you have some of those guys in the make up of the OL. the difference is the 1 or 2 guys that were either drated high and /or become great players.

1 or 2 all pro offensive lineman would make the others on the rest of the line that much better.

thats why i wouldn't rule out an OL high in the draft. a dominating center or LT could turn this into an elite unit
which IMO would greatly improve the run game and conversely the passing game,red zone offense, pass pro etc etc

NJ-STEELER
12-29-2009, 11:38 PM
as far as the play with max.

he absolutley destroyed that one guy. something i would expect to see more of from a guy that big...he needs to do that much more of it