PDA

View Full Version : If Houston beats N.E.

steelerkeylargo
12-28-2009, 10:46 AM
we are done!

SteelAbility
12-28-2009, 10:52 AM
we are done!

Not necessarily. If HOU beats NE, then the door is open for CIN to get the 3-seed. They would have to win or tie to get that.

If BAL and DEN lose, then CIN is faced with a dilemma - lose and settle for the 4-seed (which probably means playing IND if they win their 1st game) or go for the 3-seed (which has advantage over the 4-seed) and allow the hated Steelers into the playoffs. If they go for and get the 3-seed then they would face us. If they settle for the 4th then they would get HOU, who beat them earlier this year.

That being said, NE over HOU is preferrable obviously as the NYJ have a QB who can be super-turnover prone. Then CIN would have to be super obvious in losing the game, which poses a bit of a political problem.

steelerkeylargo
12-28-2009, 11:09 AM
we are done!

Not necessarily. If HOU beats NE, then the door is open for CIN to get the 3-seed. They would have to win or tie to get that.

If BAL and DEN lose, then CIN is faced with a dilemma - lose and settle for the 4-seed (which probably means playing IND if they win their 1st game) or go for the 3-seed (which has advantage over the 4-seed) and allow the hated Steelers into the playoffs. If they go for and get the 3-seed then they would face us. If they settle for the 4th then they would get HOU, who beat them earlier this year.

That being said, NE over HOU is preferrable obviously as the NYJ have a QB who can be super-turnover prone. Then CIN would have to be super obvious in losing the game, which poses a bit of a political problem.

Thats true. But. our chances go from good to extremely infitesimal.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-28-2009, 11:20 AM
we are done!

Texans game is the key. I broke down everything in another topic with how the scheduling will set up our weekend. If the Texans win, the Steelers will need the Ravens, Broncos, & Jets to lose.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9874&start=15 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9874&start=15)

No one loss by the 8-7 teams gets the Steelers in. There are (2) 2-loss scenarios that work. That would be the Texans & Jets both losing or the Ravens & Texans losing. If the Texans & Jets lose that puts Ravens #5 & Steelers #6. If the Ravens & Texans lose that puts the Jets #5 & Steelers #6. To set up your weekend with the scheduling, here is a look.

1:00 PM
NE @ HOU
PIT @ MIA

If the Texans win, the Steelers will need the Ravens, Jets, & Broncos all to lose. We will all know at the end of the 1:00 games what needs to happen.

4:15 pm
BAL @ OAK
KC @ DEN

If the Texans lose:
The Steelers could get in with a Ravens loss at the 4:15 game in OAK no matter what else happens. Still route for the Broncos to lose of course.

8:20 PM
CIN @ NY

If the Ravens win:
The Steelers will need the Jets to lose against the Bengals to get in.

So, for the first set of games at 1:00...Steelers win & Texans lose...Most important! It is a good thing the Texans/Pats are at 1:00 so the Pats have to set the stage for the Jets/Bengals. We need the Texans to lose!!!

Oviedo
12-28-2009, 01:00 PM
NE will mail this one in just like the Colts did with the Jets yesterday. Its all but a forgone conclusion that the Texans will win.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-28-2009, 02:28 PM
NE will mail this one in just like the Colts did with the Jets yesterday. Its all but a forgone conclusion that the Texans will win.

Can you explain more on this one please? Doesn't NE* have something to play for - a better seeding, or something?

RuthlessBurgher
12-28-2009, 02:43 PM

Can you explain more on this one please? Doesn't NE* have something to play for - a better seeding, or something?

If New England beats Houston at 1:00, then they will clinch the 3rd seed. If they lose, then Cincy can steal the 3rd seed away with a win at 8:30, pushing N.E. back to the 4th seed.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-28-2009, 02:50 PM
^^^

So, would it be reasonable that NE* wants to be 3rd rather than 4th enough to try to win their game?

Only reason I can think they would do otherwise is to avoid the Steelers in the playoffs, and frankly, I'm not sure that would be a good move by them considering the alternative teams they would have to play.

RuthlessBurgher
12-28-2009, 03:01 PM
So, would it be reasonable that NE* wants to be 3rd rather than 4th enough to try to win their game?

I would assume so.

Provided that a 3rd seeded New England team gets by whatever wildcard team they face in the first round, then they would travel to San Diego in the divisional round instead of Indianapolis. If the rusty Colts were to get upset in their first playoff game again after resting starters prematurely in their last 2 regular season games and then having a bye, New England would avoid the Colts entirely and would have the AFC Championship game in Foxboro.

If New England tanked this last game and settled for the 4th seed, then they would go to Indy in the divisional round, and even if they managed to win there, then they would have to travel to San Diego or Cincy (their only hope of hosting the AFC Championship game as the 4th seed is if one of the wildcard teams made it that far).

Seems like enough of a reason to show up against the Texan next Sunday.

SteelAbility
12-28-2009, 03:54 PM

I would assume so.

Provided that a 3rd seeded New England team gets by whatever wildcard team they face in the first round, then they would travel to San Diego in the divisional round instead of Indianapolis. If the rusty Colts were to get upset in their first playoff game again after resting starters prematurely in their last 2 regular season games and then having a bye, New England would avoid the Colts entirely and would have the AFC Championship game in Foxboro.

If New England tanked this last game and settled for the 4th seed, then they would go to Indy in the divisional round, and even if they managed to win there, then they would have to travel to San Diego or Cincy (their only hope of hosting the AFC Championship game as the 4th seed is if one of the wildcard teams made it that far).

Seems like enough of a reason to show up against the Texan next Sunday.

:Agree

Now let's hope BB also agrees. 8)

SteelAbility
12-28-2009, 04:16 PM
No one loss by the 8-7 teams gets the Steelers in. There are (2) 2-loss scenarios that work. That would be the Texans & Jets both losing or the Ravens & Texans losing. If the Texans & Jets lose that puts Ravens #5 & Steelers #6. If the Ravens & Texans lose that puts the Jets #5 & Steelers #6. To set up your weekend with the scheduling, here is a look.

Interesting. I hadn't realized that Ravens and Texans losing also put us through. It must be that the NYJ beat DEN on tie-breaker. Then on the reset for #6 seed, we beat DEN on head-to-head. That's really weird because both the NYJ and DEN would have 7-5 conference records and yet we still beat DEN.

I looked at the tie-break rules again. If we end up in a 3-way with DEN and the NYJ, we get in despite being 6-6 with both of them being 7-5. The ONLY reason that works is that the NYJ would beat DEN on the 1st tie-break step.

So, yes, the HOU game is the key. Maybe the league's having moved the CIN game to Sunday will actually end up helping us out as it would force NE's hand. If they want a guarantee on the 3 seed they have to play to win without seeing how anything else plays out.

IMO, NE has enough incentive to go for the the 3-seed.

Jom112
12-28-2009, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't count on the Bengals beating the Jets. Regardless of what happens in the NE game.

The team is way too banged up. From the opening game roster on defense we're going to be missing Odom, Roy Williams, Chris Crocker, Domata Peko and now Rey Maualuga. The Odom, Williams, Maualuga injuries don't worry me but Chris Crocker and Peko missing will hurt big time against the Jets...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-28-2009, 04:26 PM
Now, Jom, this is the one time you can be happy and we can too.

You can do it man!!

RuthlessBurgher
12-28-2009, 04:31 PM

You can do it man!!

http://sites.google.com/site/valius/files/Waterboy_2.jpg :lol:

Jom112
12-28-2009, 04:32 PM

You can do it man!!

Just don't want you guys to get your hopes up when the Sunday Night game rolls around.

I thought the Jets game would be a tough one before the season started since Rex Ryan is familiar with our team. Now with a pretty banged up team, I don't see us winning.

Although if it helps, I hear that Peko might return for the game now...

papillon
12-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Just don't want you guys to get your hopes up when the Sunday Night game rolls around.

I thought the Jets game would be a tough one before the season started since Rex Ryan is familiar with our team. Now with a pretty banged up team, I don't see us winning.

It's all the rage in the media the new term for taking a knee and giving up is called "taking an Indy" I hope the Bengals don't make them change it to "taking a Cincy" :moon :stirpot :P

Pappy

Jom112
12-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Alright, here is some good news for you guys. Even if NE wins, the Bengals might still have a shot at the #3 seed.

NE has the #3 seed because of Strength of Schedule. After the Vikings dispose of the Bears tonight they will have a five game SOS lead on us.

BUT considering that the Steelers and Ravens will probably win that should put us 4 games closer. So if the Dolphins lose to you guys that means Patriots will go -2 in SOS, while we go +4. Giving us a 1 game advantage. Jags/Browns game should be interesting as well as the Bills/Colts game.

Considering how those games go, even if NE wins we could have a shot of having a better SOS than NE if we beat the Jets.

So you guys might be rooting on the Ravens, Bengals and Browns on Sunday. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope that made sense...

Iron Shiek
12-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Head is spinning Jom...I will just pretend I followed that explanation! Haha.

http://www.legaljuice.com/Head%2520Spinning.bmp

Seriously, it makes sense, but wow thats deep.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-28-2009, 05:24 PM

You can do it man!!

As long as you play your starters and get up some...I like the Bengals chances. One thing I like about the Bengals is their depth. J.T. O'Sullivan will have plenty to work with. You can't go too far down the roster to rest WRs. So 85 & Coles rest. Still will have Caldwell, Simpson, & Cosby. If you rest up Benson you give a steady diet of Johnson, Leonard, & Scott. The Bengals have some good depth & I don't think resting players will stop them from putting some points on the board. Unless the Bengals truely want to lose this game...Which would get the commisioner's attention....It will be competitive. The Bengals just have to make Sanchez beat them and the Jets might self destruct. 8 & 9 in the box and dare Sanchez. First playoff game for a rookie QB...Lots could happen!!! GO BENGALS!!!

Jom112
12-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Head is spinning Jom...I will just pretend I followed that explanation! Haha.

http://www.legaljuice.com/Head%2520Spinning.bmp

Seriously, it makes sense, but wow thats deep.

What can I say, I'm bored at work.

The Jags/Browns game I think is the most important in terms of SOS (Besides the Dolphins/Steelers obviously). Patriots played the Jags, so if they win they get +1 and we get -2. So that's a 3 point swing in SOS right there. If the Browns win, I think the Sunday Night Game will determine the #3 seed regardless of if the Patriots win...

Wolfhound45
12-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Let's be serious here. It is 2009, not 2005. Neither the Pats* nor the Bengals are worried about any of the five teams in the hunt for the 5th & 6th seed OTHER THAN the Texans. They are the only team that is hitting their stride right now. The others are simply cannon fodder, sputtering to the finish line, to include the Steelers. They are focused on getting healthy because they do not have a week off.

The only thing we have going for us right now is playoff experience. Actual game day execution, meh!

SteelAbility
12-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Alright, here is some good news for you guys. Even if NE wins, the Bengals might still have a shot at the #3 seed.

NE has the #3 seed because of Strength of Schedule. After the Vikings dispose of the Bears tonight they will have a five game SOS lead on us.

BUT considering that the Steelers and Ravens will probably win that should put us 4 games closer. So if the Dolphins lose to you guys that means Patriots will go -2 in SOS, while we go +4. Giving us a 1 game advantage. Jags/Browns game should be interesting as well as the Bills/Colts game.

Considering how those games go, even if NE wins we could have a shot of having a better SOS than NE if we beat the Jets.

So you guys might be rooting on the Ravens, Bengals and Browns on Sunday. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, actually that made perfect sense. 8)

I guess we should also be rooting for the Colts, which would move NE down by 1.

Ok, so, assuming MIN wins tonight putting NE up 5, then if it plays out this way ...

PIT wins
BAL wins
JAX wins

Then the net effect (from CIN's perspective) is ...

PIT (+4, +2 for CIN because of PIT, -2 for NE because of MIA)
BAL (+1) Not what you thought there (+2 for CIN because of BAL, -1 for CIN because of OAK)
JAX (-3) +1 for NE because of JAX, -2 for CIN because of CLE

This leaves CIN at -3 (3 behind NE).

If the Colts win, then the net effect for NE is -1 (+1 for the Colts, -2 for the Bills), putting you 2 behind NE.

Now if you beat the NYJ, the net effect for you is +1 (-1 for CIN because of the NYJ, -2 for NE because of the NYJ). This leaves you behind NE by 1. Grrrr!

So, basically, we need CLE over JAX.

papillon
12-28-2009, 06:24 PM

That's music to my ears that you won't be "taking an Indy"... :tt2

Pappy

Wolfhound45
12-28-2009, 07:03 PM
From my perspective, the Pats* are in the best position if they move down to the 4th seed. They get to play the 5th seed which right now will be the Jets. Not a difficult matchup for them. Then they get a shot at redemption in Indianapolis (if the 6th seed does not upset the Bengals, remember 2005). Then a shot at the Chargers on the road in the AFCCG.

I think they like their chances in those matchups.

SteelAbility
12-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Jom,

My reply probably made no sense at all. I realize now that the tie-break involves
strength of victory not SoS. Based on CHI's upset of MIN last night, that only helps as that would-be 5-game lead by NE is now only a 4 game lead. :)

steelblood
12-29-2009, 10:17 AM

if the Texans lose, we'll be rooting against the Ravens for sure. They won't lose, but it would be sweet.

RuthlessBurgher
12-29-2009, 10:27 AM

if the Texans lose, we'll be rooting against the Ravens for sure. They won't lose, but it would be sweet.

Correct. If the Texans lose to New England at 1:00 (and we beat Miami at 1:00 as well), then a Raven loss to the Raiders at 4:15 would clinch a playoff spot for us regardless of what happens in the Sunday night game between the Jets and Bengals.

ikestops85
12-29-2009, 10:30 AM
So, basically, we need CLE over JAX.

Our hopes rest with the Stains

http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10538/timbroke.jpg

SteelAbility
12-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Ok, the tie-break between CIN and NE would be on strength of victory. I think for the first time I understand this as it has never been an issue for the Steelers before.

Strength of victory adds up the Ws of THE TEAMS YOU BEAT. If you beat a team in your division twice, then you are credited with their wins twice.

Right now, NE's SoV is 65 and CIN's SoV is 61. CHI over MIN last night was actually quite significant as NE's SoS is much stronger than CIN's SoS, SoS being the next tiebreak after SoV.

Now, assuming what Jom said: PIT and BAL both win. Since CIN beat PIT and BAL twice each, CIN would go +4 in SoV and NE would go +1 in SoV, a net effect of +3 for CIN.

Here are the Week 17 games

Red = irrelevant
Yellow = assumed W
Blue = cancel each other out
Green = relevant (THESE ARE THE GAMES TO WATCH)

SF-STL
WASH-SD
PHI-DAL
NYG-MIN

PIT-MIA +2 net for CIN
BAL-OAK +1 net for CIN

NE-HOU cancels out with CIN-NYJ
CIN-NYJ cancels out with NE-HOU
ATL-TB cancels out with CHI-DET
CHI-DET cancels out with ATL-TB

IND-BUF +2 for NE if BUF wins
NO-CAR +1 for NE if CAR wins
TEN-SEA +1 for NE if TEN wins
JAX-CLE +2 for CIN if CLE wins
KC-DEN +1 for CIN if KC wins
GB-AZ +1 for CIN if GB wins

The PIT and BAL games in yellow, bring CIN to -1 in SoV (relative to NE). If NE beats HOU, then the games in green will decide whether or not CIN can get the 3-seed with a victory over the NYJ. The net effect of those games MUST put CIN at +1 relative to NE (i.e. within the green games, the net result is +2 for CIN relative to NE) for the 3-seed to still be available to CIN with a victory over the NYJ. The really big results to watch for are in bold green. Also, notice that the SoV opportunity in the green set of games is equal for CIN and NE (+4 each).

papillon
12-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Let's be serious here. It is 2009, not 2005. Neither the Pats* nor the Bengals are worried about any of the five teams in the hunt for the 5th & 6th seed OTHER THAN the Texans. They are the only team that is hitting their stride right now. The others are simply cannon fodder, sputtering to the finish line, to include the Steelers. They are focused on getting healthy because they do not have a week off.

The only thing we have going for us right now is playoff experience. Actual game day execution, meh!

IN 2005 the Steelers were supposed to lose to the Bengals and then the mighty Colts and finally, the offensive juggernaut Broncos and the Steelers won all three games impressively. Looking back it's easy to say that the Steelers were dangerous because we know the results.

The 2009 Steelers are a dangerous team, they have beaten the Vikings, Chargers, Broncos, Packers, Ravens and the Titans all teams that are either in the playoffs or were in the hunt. Plus it seems the last two weeks they got their mojo back. I'm not saying anyone is afraid to play them at home, but, they will not be looking forward to it either. Ben Roethlisberger can singlehandedly win a game with the Steeler skill players.

Pappy

Wolfhound45
12-29-2009, 11:03 PM

IN 2005 the Steelers were supposed to lose to the Bengals and then the mighty Colts and finally, the offensive juggernaut Broncos and the Steelers won all three games impressively. Looking back it's easy to say that the Steelers were dangerous because we know the results.

The 2009 Steelers are a dangerous team, they have beaten the Vikings, Chargers, Broncos, Packers, Ravens and the Titans all teams that are either in the playoffs or were in the hunt. Plus it seems the last two weeks they got their mojo back. I'm not saying anyone is afraid to play them at home, but, they will not be looking forward to it either. Ben Roethlisberger can singlehandedly win a game with the Steeler skill players.

Pappy

Respectfully disagree. Our defense is playing horrible ("Defense wins championships") and our offense is hardly firing on all cylinders. This is a team that is limping into the playoffs at best and (IMHO) will be quickly dispatched. Still love them, but they are not playing "post season ready" football right now.

In contrast, our 2005 team was on a four game winning streak heading into the playoffs. It was peaking at the right time. The only 2005 playoff team I was worried about was the Colts, and that was only because they had beaten us badly earlier in the year.

NJ-STEELER
12-30-2009, 02:51 AM
i think we're 4-0 when troy plays a full game.

that should make a difference if he's able to play

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-30-2009, 09:30 AM

Pappy

Respectfully disagree. Our defense is playing horrible ("Defense wins championships") and our offense is hardly firing on all cylinders. This is a team that is limping into the playoffs at best and (IMHO) will be quickly dispatched. Still love them, but they are not playing "post season ready" football right now.

In contrast, our 2005 team was on a four game winning streak heading into the playoffs. It was peaking at the right time. The only 2005 playoff team I was worried about was the Colts, and that was only because they had beaten us badly earlier in the year.
In reference to your "defense wins championships" remark...I couldn't agree more...In the past. With the evolution of the game and the rules brought forth to make these games "offensive friendly"...Combination teams are coming to the front. It seems more & more like a good defense can get you to the post season but the offense has to be there to take the next step. The old saying of "defense wins championships" has a second part. I have mixed feelings about the new NFL...But it is what it is.

Shawn
12-30-2009, 09:40 AM

I have to disagree. No one wants to play the reigning SB champs in the playoffs. I work with alot of Bengals fans and none of them want to see the Steelers again. While we are not the team we were last year...we are better on O. We have scarey fire power. And while D might "win games"...this team is good enough to beat anyone...even now.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-30-2009, 10:29 AM

I have to disagree. No one wants to play the reigning SB champs in the playoffs. I work with alot of Bengals fans and none of them want to see the Steelers again. While we are not the team we were last year...we are better on O. We have scarey fire power. And while D might "win games"...this team is good enough to beat anyone...even now.

The thing is, IMO, the team we have now is not really the team that won the SB - our D is horrible without Troy.

I might rephrase your statement - this offense has the potential to score quickly any time on anybody, and if the game is within 1 score at the end, we can win. But I think our D is unlikely to keep it to within 1 score at the end of a playoff game, unless we get lucky again and opposing receivers drop wide-open passes in the end zone, or turn the ball over in the red zone a billion times.

All this could change of course if a healthy Troy is back, but that remains to be seen.