PDA

View Full Version : Harrison's merely mediocre

fordfixer
12-28-2009, 03:53 AM
Madden Monday: Harrison's merely mediocre

By: Mark Madden
Beaver County Times
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sport ... iocre.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2009/december/28/madden-monday-harrisons-merely-mediocre.html)
Monday December 28, 2009 12:09 AM

Will the real James Harrison please stand up? Then again, be careful what you wish for.

Last year, James Harrison was NFL Defensive Player of the Year. This year, thrust into the role of primary playmaker on the Steelers’ defense because of injuries to Troy Polamalu and Aaron Smith, he’s been average. Some games, Harrison has been nearly invisible. Witness just one forced fumble since Week 5, zero sacks his last five games.

Before bursting into prominence with 8½ sacks in 2007, Harrison got cut four times, three times by the Steelers. He was thought to be a bit small and slow, not quite up to NFL standards beyond special teams.

Now, after guaranteeing $20 million to Harrison via a contract inked this past offseason, the Steelers have to be worried.

Harrison apologists claim he gets held without penalty on virtually every play, a grotesque exaggeration. Watch the tape.

True, Harrison is held often. True, it isn’t often flagged.

But that happens to LaMarr Woodley, too. It happens to every player who specializes in rushing the passer. The great ones still make plays. Mean Joe Greene sure did, and Greene — a defensive tackle — operated in close quarters where he got held a lot more than Harrison.

Despite his edgy disposition and all that bravado, Harrison has spent much of the current season looking for flags, not kicking tail. That’s what Cleveland Browns left tackle Joe Thomas thinks, anyway.

“It seems like he didn’t do it last year,” Thomas told a Cleveland newspaper. “Now he’s kind of perfected it. When you push him by the quarterback, if he doesn’t think he can get to the quarterback anymore, he thinks the best thing for him to do is kind of flop as dramatically as possible and hope it baits the ref into throwing the flag.
Advertisement Click here

“Basically, as you push him by, he’ll just throw his arms up in the air and his feet and try to make it look like you threw him down. It’s kind of like taking a charge in the NBA … it shows up on tape over and over again.”

Harrison might be best advised to commit an occasional penalty himself, picking a situation where the Steelers aren’t at risk to dish out some pain, give away 15 yards, pay a fine and get some more room in the future. Greene’s preferred method was a punch to the gut, sometimes lower.

A lot of Steelers have seen their performances fade this season. Management needs to take a close look at all those players.

Management also needs to take a close look at the coaching staff and the methods applied (or not) that allow a defending Super Bowl champion to have a five-game losing streak marked by abject lack of focus. The Steelers’ locker-room leadership, meanwhile, needs to look in the mirror.

Don’t take the last two wins too seriously. They were mostly about luck, opposition incompetence and Ben Roethlisberger’s excellence.

As for Harrison, next season will be pivotal.

The best qualities of players who have previously been written off usually include determination and resiliency. Harrison will need to harness both those attributes next season or critics will start to say, rightly, that he’s flashing back into his pan.

Scarletfire1970
12-28-2009, 07:48 AM
It's hard to argue with that. Hopefully Harrison doesn't become just a flash in the pan.

SteelAbility
12-28-2009, 08:17 AM
Harrison is not mediocre by any stretch of the imagination. He doesn't get held on every play, but he does get held (without getting called) on a significant percentage of pass rushes when he does his rip move.

The difference between getting called and not getting called EVEN ONE TIME is huge as it can be difference between killing/stalling a drive (and giving the ball back to YOUR O) or not. On GB's first TD Harrison was held around the neck pretty shamelessly with no call. Instead of 10 yards with 2nd and long, it's a TD against us.

That being said, Harrison needs to find a way to integrate a "slap the hand away" move into his pass rushing. If he can achieve the slap away with any kind of consistency, we'll start seeing him dominate consistently.

Also, Harrison is about the surest tackler out there. In a season of consistent missed tackles Harrison has been a shining star for us in that department.

stlrz d
12-28-2009, 09:52 AM
It's hard to argue with that. Hopefully Harrison doesn't become just a flash in the pan.

More like hard to stomach. What a bunch of BS. I don't see Harrison giving up on plays ever.

NorthCoast
12-28-2009, 09:59 AM

Don’t take the last two wins too seriously. They were mostly about luck, opposition incompetence and Ben Roethlisberger’s excellence.

The whole article has holes, especially this quote. You can turn it around and make the opposite statement about our losses being due to luck by the opponent, and incompetence by our defense. As Tomlin likes to say 'they don't award for style points'.

phillyesq
12-28-2009, 10:14 AM

More like hard to stomach. What a bunch of BS. I don't see Harrison giving up on plays ever.

:Clap :Clap :Clap

Well said. This is just more sensationalist crap from that windbag Madden.

In a down year, Harrison currently has 76 tackles, 10 sacks, and 5 forced fumbles. For a comparison, Joey Porter only achieved those kind of tackle numbers once, and in his best years as a Steeler, he had 10.5 sacks.

Harrison is having a bit of a down year compared to the lofty standards he set for himself last year, but if this is a down year, I'll take it in a heartbeat.

NC Steeler Fan
12-28-2009, 10:20 AM
I bet Madden doesn't say any of that to Harrison's face...

Leper Friend
12-28-2009, 10:25 AM

In a down year, Harrison currently has 76 tackles, 10 sacks, and 5 forced fumbles. For a comparison, Joey Porter only achieved those kind of tackle numbers once, and in his best years as a Steeler, he had 10.5 sacks.

Harrison is having a bit of a down year compared to the lofty standards he set for himself last year, but if this is a down year, I'll take it in a heartbeat.You beat me to it.That's one heck of a "down" year.

Madden's such a fat load.It's embarassing for the city of Pittsburgh that he gets ratings.

pfelix73
12-28-2009, 10:31 AM
"Harrison apologists claim he gets held without penalty on virtually every play, a grotesque exaggeration. Watch the tape.

True, Harrison is held often. True, it isn’t often flagged."

Aren't these 2 statements contradictory?

OK, I watch the tape. He's held more times than not- merely because of his stature vs. the big tackles he goes up against.

:tt2

Some of these reporters have no clue and just like to bitch.

Leper Friend
12-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Despite his edgy disposition and all that bravado, Harrison has spent much of the current season looking for flags, not kicking tail. That’s what Cleveland Browns left tackle Joe Thomas thinks, anyway.

“It seems like he didn’t do it last year,” Thomas told a Cleveland newspaper. “Now he’s kind of perfected it. When you push him by the quarterback, if he doesn’t think he can get to the quarterback anymore, he thinks the best thing for him to do is kind of flop as dramatically as possible and hope it baits the ref into throwing the flag.
Advertisement Click here

“Basically, as you push him by, he’ll just throw his arms up in the air and his feet and try to make it look like you threw him down. It’s kind of like taking a charge in the NBA … it shows up on tape over and over again.”

Joe Thomas might want to try blocking Harrison one on one before he opens his mouth. The first Brown's game this year he had help on EVERY play. Not just a back or tight end either. They brought in a back up tackle and had him play tight end.

Starlifter
12-28-2009, 10:33 AM
he played yesterday with a cast on one side and a torn bicep on the other. last year was magical for JH. This year has been solid but not as spectacular. I think the loss of troy and AS have something to do with that. It's easier to focus more attention towards silverback when you don't have to worry about those two.

SteelAbility
12-28-2009, 10:34 AM
You know a major missing point here is that the stats, especially on defense, do not necessarily indicate whether a player is dominant or effective. The game film reveals who is effective and/or dominant. At the highest levels of competition things start to get a bit abstract in that the THREAT a player poses changes the plays and the schemes.

So, without building a single statistic on a given play, a certain player can still be the most influencing or dominating factor (e.g. a guy who consistently draws double teams or a guy whose pass rush is forcing short dumpoffs that can easily be predicted, translating into lots of 3-and-outs).

There is no stat for drawing attention so teammates can make plays or for how many "scheme around" plays were called by the opposing OC.

kindlecatsb'ng
12-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Harrison played with a bicep injury yesterday. Tomlin quoted as saying he played "one armed"-- and Joe Thomas from the Browns? :brownssuck :ratsuck
He's an asset to the Steelers D.

Happy New Year

ikestops85
12-28-2009, 11:00 AM
How can he be considered a "flash in the pan" when this is his 3rd straight good year? How many linebackers have matched Jimmy Hate over the last 3 seasons? Did Madden ever stop to think that his sack total is down this year because he is asked to drop into coverage more?

and what the hell is Thomas talking about? One of the things I like about Harrison is the effort he brings on every play and when it is over he walks back to the huddle. He doesn't have an elaborate celebration routine when he sacks the QB ... I never see him whine to officials when he is held ... he doesn't talk trash on the field.

The guy is a football player ... plain and simple. :tt1

steelblood
12-28-2009, 11:06 AM
I saw him push the pocket and cause a pivotal fumble all by himself on Sunday.

The guy has 10 sacks and a lot of forced fumbles. It may not be an all-pro season, but he is still a very good player. Many good pass rushers have down years. All this panic is whining is silly.

Pittsburgh
12-28-2009, 12:15 PM
I got to this point...

and stopped reading.

frankthetank1
12-28-2009, 12:35 PM
i hate madden. he doesnt know what he is talking about. do most fans expect a season like last from harrison every season? madden didnt mention how good harrison is against the run. in case madden doesnt know thats pretty important for a OLB. he played hurt and still forced a fumble. he would have sacked flacco if he wasnt playing with one good arm. having a season like last year was bad for harrison in the sense that people expect that all time.

Shoe
12-28-2009, 01:52 PM

Harrison is having a bit of a down year compared to the lofty standards he set for himself last year, but if this is a down year, I'll take it in a heartbeat.

Is this "mediocre" stuff ridiculous or what? 10+ sacks, 5 FF, 76 tackles...

I'm the biggest Greg Lloyd fan, and that would be a great year for Lloyd, Porter, Gildon, Merriweather, or whoever we've had at ROLB over the last 25 years. A great year.

I will say though, that I have (at least a tiny fear) that Harrison's game could fall off somewhat quickly, as he isn't a spring chicken. I'm not predicting it, but I can foresee a gradual drop in his game, year-by-year (i.e. so that next year, he comes with slightly less numbers, etc.) Not saying it's gonna happen; just saying it's a possibility in my mind.

But this year, it's business as usual for James.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-28-2009, 02:11 PM
I believe he is leading the team in tackles, so this author is full of malarkey.

I also believe that Aaron Smith's absence hurts Harrison, in that the defense doesn't have two beasts to have to focus on.

I wonder if Harrison reads this stuff? Would it be motivational?

Slapstick
12-28-2009, 03:41 PM
James Harrison:

2007 = 98 Tckl 8.5 sacks 1 INT 6 FF
2008 = 101 Tckl 16 sacks 1 INT 7 FF
2009 = 76 Tckl 10 sacks 0 INT 5 FF

Totals = 275 Tckls 34.5 sacks 2 INTs 18 FF

DeMarcus Ware:

2007 = 84 Tckl 14 sacks 0 INT 4 FF
2008 = 84 Tckl 20 sacks 0 INT 6 FF
2009 = 56 Tckl 11 sacks 0 INT 5 FF

Totals = 224 Tckl 45 sacks 0 INT 15 FF

Ware has better pass rushing stats because that's all that the Cowboys ask him to do...Harrison is a better all around football player...

I wish the current starters in the defensive secondary were as mediocre as James Harrison...

Jom112
12-28-2009, 04:17 PM
When I first read the title, I thought it was going to be a sarcastic article. Madden is crazy to think Harrison is mediocre.

James Harrison:

DeMarcus Ware:

Ware has better pass rushing stats because that's all that the Cowboys ask him to do...Harrison is a better all around football player...

I wish the current starters in the defensive secondary were as mediocre as James Harrison...

Ware also has 6 passes defensed this season. Ware drops into coverage just as much if not more than Harrison.

Harrison is a better run stopper than Ware, but Ware doesn't simply just rush the passer...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-28-2009, 04:30 PM
When I first read the title, I thought it was going to be a sarcastic article. Madden is crazy to think Harrison is mediocre.

James Harrison:

DeMarcus Ware:

Ware also has 6 passes defensed this season. Ware drops into coverage just as much if not more than Harrison.

Harrison is a better run stopper than Ware, but Ware doesn't simply just rush the passer...

You may want to check out the last play of the 1st half of Superbowl XLIII before dissing Silverback's pass defense abilities! :lol:

Steelerphile
12-28-2009, 04:31 PM
When Madden disappeared into the FM dial, I thought I might never be exposed to his crapola anymore. I would hope fordfixer doesn't make a habit of posting Madden's material. He is infuriating.

He thinks He is great though. He's mediocre, just has a fat mouth, obesity and high blood pressure.

RuthlessBurgher
12-28-2009, 04:35 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_AsaWhZk79ZU/SDzBGyERAiI/AAAAAAAAAUA/kJPB7T6OHVs/s400/airstaff_madden330.jpg
http://www.filmdope.com/Gallery/ActorsC/2615-17920.gif

Jom112
12-28-2009, 04:36 PM
You may want to check out the last play of the 1st half of Superbowl XLIII before dissing Silverback's pass defense abilities! :lol:

Not dissing Harrison's abilities at all. Just pointing out that Ware does drop into coverage a good amount.

My wording might have been a bit misleading in the last post. Here is what I think of both OLB's.

Ware and Harrison both are great pass rushers. Harrison I would say is the better run stopper and both drop into coverage a good amount...

Steel Life
12-28-2009, 07:19 PM
Here's Madden doesn't say or give credit for...Harrison chases plays relentlessly & frequently makes the play from behind or runs with TEs, RBs, or slot WRs to take them out of the play.

Don't get too caught up with the passes defensed stat...Harrison takes away options because of his recognition & dropping back into passing lanes. That doesn't show up as a defensed pass but is a critical play nontheless. Harrison has been great this season, but Smith & Troy out, & a declining Hampton, he's a man under siege.

feltdizz
12-28-2009, 07:57 PM
Ware rarely drops in coverage... I bet his pass defenses are on screens. I have never seen Ware do anything besides rush the passer. He is great at it though...

fordfixer
12-28-2009, 08:05 PM
When Madden disappeared into the FM dial, I thought I might never be exposed to his crapola anymore. I would hope fordfixer doesn't make a habit of posting Madden's material. He is infuriating.

He thinks He is great though. He's mediocre, just has a fat mouth, obesity and high blood pressure.

Hey I post articles I find interesting (anything Steelers related) weather I agree with them or not. If you don't like them then don't read them I really could care less

eniparadoxgma
12-28-2009, 08:21 PM

Hey I post articles I find interesting (anything Steelers related) weather I agree with them or not. If you don't like them then don't read them I really could care less

Thanks for posting the articles, man.

This one was definitely crap though. :lol: :stirpot

fordfixer
12-28-2009, 08:24 PM

Thanks for posting the articles, man.

This one was definitely crap though. :lol: :stirpot
I don't disagree

DukieBoy
12-28-2009, 08:47 PM
Proof once again that crap comes from an a$s

Madden does not deserve the attention he is getting by this kind of outrage.

I hope James' mother finds him and corrects him.

fordfixer
12-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Proof once again that crap comes from an a$s

Madden does not deserve the attention he is getting by this kind of outrage.

I hope James' mother finds him and corrects him.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

williar
12-29-2009, 12:12 AM

Beaver County Times
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sport ... iocre.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2009/december/28/madden-monday-harrisons-merely-mediocre.html)

Will the real James Harrison please stand up? Then again, be careful what you wish for.

Last year, James Harrison was NFL Defensive Player of the Year. This year, thrust into the role of primary playmaker on the Steelers’ defense because of injuries to Troy Polamalu and Aaron Smith, he’s been average. Some games, Harrison has been nearly invisible. Witness just one forced fumble since Week 5, zero sacks his last five games.

That where he lost all credibility with that exaggerated comment. Did he see that wounded duck Ben tossed up at the end....Should have cost us the game.
Before bursting into prominence with 8½ sacks in 2007, Harrison got cut four times, three times by the Steelers. He was thought to be a bit small and slow, not quite up to NFL standards beyond special teams.

Now, after guaranteeing $20 million to Harrison via a contract inked this past offseason, the Steelers have to be worried.

Harrison apologists claim he gets held without penalty on virtually every play, a grotesque exaggeration. Watch the tape.

But that happens to LaMarr Woodley, too. It happens to every player who specializes in rushing the passer. The great ones still make plays. Mean Joe Greene sure did, and Greene — a defensive tackle — operated in close quarters where he got held a lot more than Harrison.

Advertisement Click here

Harrison might be best advised to commit an occasional penalty himself, picking a situation where the Steelers aren’t at risk to dish out some pain, give away 15 yards, pay a fine and get some more room in the future. Greene’s preferred method was a punch to the gut, sometimes lower.

A lot of Steelers have seen their performances fade this season. Management needs to take a close look at all those players.

Management also needs to take a close look at the coaching staff and the methods applied (or not) that allow a defending Super Bowl champion to have a five-game losing streak marked by abject lack of focus. The Steelers’ locker-room leadership, meanwhile, needs to look in the mirror.

Don’t take the last two wins too seriously. They were mostly about luck, opposition incompetence and Ben Roethlisberger’s excellence.As for Harrison, next season will be pivotal.

The best qualities of players who have previously been written off usually include determination and resiliency. Harrison will need to harness both those attributes next season or critics will start to say, rightly, that he’s flashing back into his pan.

williar
12-29-2009, 12:15 AM

Beaver County Times

That where he lost all credibility with that exaggerated comment. Did he see that wounded duck Ben tossed up at the end....Should have cost us the game.

Advertisement Click here

Don’t take the last two wins too seriously. They were mostly about luck, opposition incompetence and Ben Roethlisberger’s excellence.As for Harrison, next season will be pivotal.

He lost all credibility with that mindless statement. Guess he didn't see that wounded duck Ben tossed up at the end. Should have cost us the game.

Wolfhound45
12-29-2009, 12:25 AM
Harrison Tuesday: Madden's merely mediocre

By: Mildred Harrison
Akron Beacon-Journal
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... h-assault/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/11/james-harrisons-mother-charged-with-assault/)

Fixed that for you!

Pittsburgh
12-29-2009, 01:13 AM
He lost all credibility with that mindless statement. Guess he didn't see that wounded duck Ben tossed up at the end. Should have cost us the game.

You will never hear Madden criticize Roethlisberger. The guy seriously has a man crush on Ben. They were neighbors on Washington's Landing, so I guess he feels there is some type of bond there.

It's a shame the guy still has a job in this city. Unfortnately, shock and pure idiocy seem to sell when it comes to sports radio these days. Substance and knowledge are on the back burner.

stlrz d
12-29-2009, 01:24 AM

Beaver County Times

Advertisement Click here

Guess you didn't realize Ben saw the flag and threw it up knowing he had a free play. ;)

teecee.

NJ-STEELER
12-29-2009, 01:38 AM
Ware definately drops into coverage some.

dont know if its more or less then harrison. i do think that defensive coaches on both squads start to outsmart themselves a little when they aren't sending both to get to the QB.

they're too good at it not to have them bliting 85-90% of the time

RuthlessBurgher
12-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Harrison Tuesday: Madden sucks @$$

By: Mildred Harrison
Akron Beacon-Journal
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... h-assault/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/11/james-harrisons-mother-charged-with-assault/)

Fixed that for you!

Fixed your fix. Madden ain't even mediocre.

SteelCzar76
12-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Could Silverback have peaked last season ? It's possible,...but i think that he along with Woodley and Potsie,... may be suffering more as a matter of not having Aaron's disruptive presence on the field up front and not having Troy in the secondary to give them more time to do their jobs. Along with also having to deal with cleaning up behind Timmons getting washed, run over and blowing assignments. These things in my opinion compromise their effectiveness.