PDA

View Full Version : Provided we beat Miami..........

Gus
12-27-2009, 09:06 PM
there are 16 possible outcomes of 4 games (Jets, Broncos, Ravens, and Texans)
We are in on 7 and out on 9.
If all 4 lose: we're in.
If any and only one of those 4 teams win: we're in (4 scenarios)

2 scenarios can happen where 2 teams of those 4 can win:

1) Jets and Broncos
2) Ravens and Broncos

That's it.
Win and get one of those 7 possibilities.
Here we go Steelers!!

Steelhere10
12-27-2009, 09:15 PM
there are 16 possible outcomes of 4 games (Jets, Broncos, Ravens, and Texans)
We are in on 7 and out on 9.
If all 4 lose: we're in.
If any and only one of those 4 teams win: we're in (4 scenarios)

2 scenarios can happen where 2 teams of those 4 can win:

1) Jets and Broncos
2) Ravens and Broncos

That's it.
Win and get one of those 7 possibilities.
Here we go Steelers!!Yea but how many are really possible. What do we need 2 ties.

Discipline of Steel
12-27-2009, 09:52 PM
If NE tanks, the Jets can be the only team that won. I think Balt is going to win so GO NE!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-27-2009, 10:06 PM
I went to that yahoo playoff calculator in the link at the top of the page, chose "Yahoo Team Ranker" for the "Set wins by" option. Here's what came up:

If we beat Miami, we need one of two unlikely scenarios to happen:

1) Oakland beats Baltimore, OR
2) Kansas City beats Denver.

All this assumes NE* beats the Texans. If they don't, we can't get in under any scenario.

Caveat emptor on these scenarios, I can tell you that they were repeatable when I did them, but I can't vouch for them.

AngryAsian
12-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Holy crap. We're screwed!

Wolfhound45
12-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Holy crap. We're screwed!

That is a great way of putting it!

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/discoblog/files/2009/09/were-screwed-web.jpg

:P

http://photos.weddingbycolor.com/p/000/005/339/m/55857/p/thumbnail/161872.jpg

Shoe
12-27-2009, 11:14 PM
All this assumes NE* beats the Texans. If they don't, we can't get in under any scenario.

The Head Cheater*, thinking in his head:

"We can lose next week, and probably face this same, sorry, inexperienced, glad-to-have-made-it to the playoffs, warm-weather team...

OR

...we can win, and leave the door open for the defending & 6-time SB Champions, who have loads of experience, hate us for cheating them out of multiple other SB opportunities, and a stud QB to play us.

I'm going to tank it.

On a side note, I'd like to thank my lucky stars that the NFL is not pursuing this cheating thing, cuz damn--we cheated our a$ses off to win those years."

Lebsteel
12-27-2009, 11:38 PM
I went to that yahoo playoff calculator in the link at the top of the page, chose "Yahoo Team Ranker" for the "Set wins by" option. Here's what came up:

If we beat Miami, we need one of two unlikely scenarios to happen:

1) Oakland beats Baltimore, OR
2) Kansas City beats Denver.

Caveat emptor on these scenarios, I can tell you that they were repeatable when I did them, but I can't vouch for them.

If we win, NE beats Houston, and the Bungals beat the Jets, then we are in regardless of what the Donkeys and Rats do. The wild card teams would be us and the Rats if they win or the Donkeys if they win and the Rats lose.

SteelAbility
12-28-2009, 07:30 AM

"We can lose next week, and probably face this same, sorry, inexperienced, glad-to-have-made-it to the playoffs, warm-weather team...

OR

...we can win, and leave the door open for the defending & 6-time SB Champions, who have loads of experience, hate us for cheating them out of multiple other SB opportunities, and a stud QB to play us.

I'm going to tank it.

On a side note, I'd like to thank my lucky stars that the NFL is not pursuing this cheating thing, cuz damn--we cheated our a$ses off to win those years."

You hit the nail on the head. NOONE wants to play the Pittsburgh Steelers. Everyone knows we are way better than 8-7, having dropped games on either stupidity or from the dropsies, mistakes that are totally correctable. With a healthy Troy in the lineup, it's even worse. I know if I had a playoff spot locked and there was a team I considered a major threat I would gladly drop a game to keep them out.

But I don't agree that we cheated our a$$es off to win those years. We always "played" on and off the field within the rules.

SteelAbility
12-28-2009, 07:46 AM
Here is what comes to for us. There is only ONE 3-way tie whereby we get into the playoffs (PIT - DEN - BAL).

On every other 3-way tie with PIT involved we are eliminated. So, provided we beat MIA here is what we need ...

1. HOU loses AND NYJ lose

OR

2. Only one of HOU/NYJ wins AND BAL loses AND DEN loses.

Doesn't look good, especially in light of the fact that HOU and NYJ are playing teams that are locked (although the seeding is not locked) for the playoffs and would like to see us out of the picture.

It's made worse by the fact that CIN has been moved to Sunday night instead of being simultaneous with NE. IMO, that move by the league was contrary to sound principle and even ethics.

Gus
12-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Actually SteelAbility,
we can be in a 3 way tie w/the Ravens and the Broncos and get in.

Here is another way to look at it (of course, assuming we win):
1) Houston lose and Jets lose

2) Houston lose and Ravens lose

3) Houston wins and Ravens, Jets, and Broncos lose

That Houston game is huge! Come on New England (oh man, that just doesn't sound right, lol)!

Leper Friend
12-28-2009, 09:27 AM
The way the season is going I see everything working out perfect except the Steelers winning.

Iron Shiek
12-28-2009, 09:28 AM
The way the season is going I see everything working out perfect except the Steelers winning.

:lol: No freakin kidding. We'll sit there with the L and watch as every other needed scenario come to fruition! That would be gut wrenching. I'm confident we can handle this Henne character...

stlrz d
12-28-2009, 09:57 AM
The hoodie will lay down and take it up the arse from the Texans in order to keep us out.

Count on it.

SteelAbility
12-28-2009, 10:21 AM
Actually SteelAbility,

That Houston game is huge! Come on New England (oh man, that just doesn't sound right, lol)!

That's exactly what I said

Here is what comes to for us. There is only ONE 3-way tie whereby we get into the playoffs (PIT - DEN - BAL).

;)

Your item 2) also requires that the Jets tie or lose. We lose in a 3-way with DEN and the NYJ.

pfelix73
12-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Yea, I could see the Pats** not starting Brady and Co. and laying down. Just depends it they care about being the 3rd or 4th seed.

:tt1

SteelAbility
12-28-2009, 10:48 AM
It is very likely that the 4th seed will get BAL, which is actually NOT a very desireable thing. Even if you beat them, they can completely beat you up physically and really hurt your chances for the next game.

Plus, as I mentioned, the 3-seed has the advantage that if you win your first two and the 1-seed gets kocked off, then you get to host the AFCCG. Whereas if you are the 4-seed you risk having to play the 1-seed on your 2nd game.

It's a bit tough to tell. The CIN game got moved to Sunday night. While this gives CIN an edge with deciding what to do, it does force the Pats to play to win if they want the 3-seed. If NE beats HOU, then we would need OAK over BAL AND KC over DEN. A long shot but not out of the question. OAK has shown flashes of being very tough and DEN has lost 7 of their last 9. However, I believe DEN blew out KC at KC in one of those wins.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-28-2009, 11:10 AM
No one loss by the 8-7 teams gets the Steelers in. There are (2) 2-loss scenarios that work. That would be the Texans & Jets both losing or the Ravens & Texans losing. If the Texans & Jets lose that puts Ravens #5 & Steelers #6. If the Ravens & Texans lose that puts the Jets #5 & Steelers #6. To set up your weekend with the scheduling, here is a look.

1:00 PM
NE @ HOU
PIT @ MIA

If the Texans win, the Steelers will need the Ravens, Jets, & Broncos all to lose. We will all know at the end of the 1:00 games what needs to happen.

4:15 pm
BAL @ OAK
KC @ DEN

If the Texans lose:
The Steelers could get in with a Ravens loss at the 4:15 game in OAK no matter what else happens. Still route for the Broncos to lose of course.

8:20 PM
CIN @ NY

If the Ravens win:
The Steelers will need the Jets to lose against the Bengals to get in.

So, for the first set of games at 1:00...Steelers win & Texans lose...Most important! It is a good thing the Texans/Pats are at 1:00 so the Pats have to set the stage for the Jets/Bengals. We need the Texans to lose!!!

Gus
12-28-2009, 10:13 PM
Actually SteelAbility,

That's exactly what I said

;)

Your item 2) also requires that the Jets tie or lose. We lose in a 3-way with DEN and the NYJ.

lol, oops. i did mean the #2 scenario. we can have a 3 way tie with denver and the jets and get in. no need for the jets to lose or tie.

frenchie
12-28-2009, 11:21 PM
rodisgod---your post made me laugh....that's just the way I figure this season will end for us. This playoff stuff is making me crazy...

Iron Shiek
12-29-2009, 09:55 AM
Yea, I could see the Pats** not starting Brady and Co. and laying down. Just depends it they care about being the 3rd or 4th seed.

:tt1

I've seen a few different statements from Patriots players, including Brady, stating how he hopes they would keep everything the same to keep momentum going and whatnot. He cites the poor performance vs. the Bills 2 weeks ago, then having a good game this past week, and to go from that trend to sitting would not be ideal. But again, he isn't the coach.

NorthCoast
12-29-2009, 11:00 AM

OR

I'm going to tank it.

Given the current state of our secondary, I would think Belichik and Brady, Palmer and Lewis, Manning and Rivers, would be licking their chops to get the Steelers in the playoffs. Honestly, while I would be glad to extend the season by one game, I think it could end up being a very embarrassing game for us. I don't think there is a playoff-bound team that fears the Steelers, we are obviously very beatable. Just being a realist here.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-31-2009, 01:17 PM
I think Belichek will play to win this Sunday. I don't remember him ever laying down for any team for any reason. Plus, they have not done well on the road all season, and he needs his team to prove that they can win on the road before they begin the playoffs.

But even so, will the * beat the Texans? I'm not sure. The Texans have a formidable offense that will be difficult for the *s to overcome.

I can easily see the Bengals pulling their starters for the Jets game, especially if they see that they have nothing to gain by winning.

I wish Gradkowski was playing for the Raiders this Sunday. It would be huge if Oakland could upset the Ratbirds.

It really rips me that we're having to go through all these scenarios, depending on other teams to get business done to get the Steelers into the playoffs. With just ONE MORE WIN, we would have controlled our own destiny at this point. Just ONE MORE win!
And to think how we pi$$ed away games against KC, Oakland, and the Clowns...this season has to rank as one of the biggest disappointments in my 40 years of rooting for the Steelers. The level of slop, slather, and ineptitude evidenced by this Super Bowl champion in the face of such an easy schedule is just mind-boggling.

I have to agree with rodisgod...the biggest variable of all is whether the STEELERS can win this game.