PDA

View Full Version : OT: Meyer Stepping Down At Florida

NKySteeler
12-26-2009, 09:19 PM
Absolutely HUGE news in the collegiate ranks....
----------------------------------
Saturday, December 26, 2009
Meyer to coach final game at Sugar Bowl
ESPN.com news services

Urban Meyer is stepping down as coach of the Florida football team, athletics director Jeremy Foley announced Saturday afternoon in a release.

"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer said in statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family.

"After consulting with my family, Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family.

"I'm proud to be a part of the Gainesville community and the Gator Nation and I plan to remain in Gainesville and involved with the University of Florida.

"I'm very appreciative for the opportunity I've had to be a part of a tremendous institution - from Dr. Machen to Jeremy Foley and the entire administrative staff at UF. I'm also very thankful for the chance to work with some of the best assistants in college football and coach some of the best college football players and watch them grow both on and off the field as people. I will cherish the relationships with them the most."

Meyer will coach his last game for Florida against Cincinnati on Jan. 1 at the Sugar Bowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4772952

Wolfhound45
12-26-2009, 10:55 PM
My hope is that his health improves. Best wishes as he moves on.

NKySteeler
12-26-2009, 11:33 PM

... Agreed.

But as an LSU fan, I can only imagine how you're "licking your chops" from this (as a fan from an opposing school)....

BTW, you gotta post-up that favorite pic of the "LSU gal".... :wink:

Wolfhound45
12-26-2009, 11:44 PM

... Agreed.

But as an LSU fan, I can only imagine how you're "licking your chops" from this (as a fan from an opposing school)....

BTW, you gotta post-up that favorite pic of the "LSU gal".... :wink:

The LSU board (http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/) is actually being very civil about his departure. There are a few "retards/rantards" but not many.

Unfortunately, the pic of that pretty young lady is long gone. She was definitely "easy on the eye" as we say down on the Bayou.

:wink:

Sugar
12-27-2009, 12:03 AM
At least he's showing the class to coach the final game with his team- unlike former Cincinnati coach Brian Kelly.

I was pulling for Cincinnati in this one, but I might have to re-evaluate now.

Steel Life
12-27-2009, 12:57 AM
Does anyone else think there's more to this story?
- Is Urban's ego not willing to go thru a rebuilding process?
- Was he disappointed not to get offered the Notre Dame job?
- Has he been contacted by a NFL team?
- If this legit & he takes a year off, what school would he go to...Michigan? Penn State?

feltdizz
12-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Does anyone else think there's more to this story?
- Is Urban's ego not willing to go thru a rebuilding process?
- Was he disappointed not to get offered the Notre Dame job?
- Has he been contacted by a NFL team?
- If this legit & he takes a year off, what school would he go to...Michigan? Penn State?

-I thought the same thing as you did regarding the rebuilding process
-I also thought he may become the OC or HC at whatever team drafts Tebow

I did see a report on his heart so it very well could be his health. The problem though is so many college coaches lie it's hard to believe any "first reports"

buckeyehoppy
12-27-2009, 12:56 PM
If we all knew the type of stresses that come with being an NFL or D-I College coach, there would be no argument here. Urban Meyer can hardly be blamed, if health was, in fact, the deciding issue.

This is a shocker, to say the least. Plus, Meyer is, just about, my age. If it's enough of a wake up call for him, perhaps it should send the same message to others his age.

Meyer is leaving a job that, arguably, he should have for a while if he wanted it. Florida fans can't be any more vulture-ish than any other fans in D-I or, even, in the SEC. He won the school TWO NCs for chrissakes. That should be good enough for a while.

Best of luck to Urban Meyer in his future endeavors. He's a class act!

frankthetank1
12-27-2009, 01:07 PM
At least he's showing the class to coach the final game with his team- unlike former Cincinnati coach Brian Kelly.

I was pulling for Cincinnati in this one, but I might have to re-evaluate now.

i agree there is nothing more i hate when a coach bails on the bowl game. i think that speaks volumes about a coach's character. pretty sad meyer is taking a break. he is pretty young and a good guy. i hate cincy and every ohio sports team so i still hope florida pounds them which they should. i wonder what impact if any this has on the spread

Wolfhound45
12-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Apparently he has changed his mind, kind of.

Source: Meyer has change of heart
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4774134

Steel Life
12-27-2009, 05:45 PM
Of course he did....sheet, the glowing memorial specials aren't even cold yet & he's changing his mind. Somebody else said it best - you can't trust anything that comes out of their mouths.

Also, for those who think it's all too much for Urban...go down the road a bit & watch Bowden - or Paterno - to see how what it's done to their health...c'mon man!

stlrz d
12-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Of course he did....sheet, the glowing memorial specials aren't even cold yet & he's changing his mind. Somebody else said it best - you can't trust anything that comes out of their mouths.

Also, for those who think it's all too much for Urban...go down the road a bit & watch Bowden - or Paterno - to see how what it's done to their health...c'mon man!

That's only two out of thousands of college coaches.

Steel Life
12-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Eddie Robinson then...how about Tom Osborne? Lou Holtz? John Robinson? Too old-school? Maybe...but he's no different from any of those thousands of coaches you mention in the time they put in & the crap they deal with. Perhaps Urban is the petty drama queen that has been whispered about - he'll be back in full-force before you know it.

stlrz d
12-27-2009, 07:15 PM
Or perhaps, like any other 45 year old man with a highly stressful job, he's susceptible to health problems. And perhaps he saw his 45 years as being a short time on this earth and decided he needed time off because the health issues scared the life out of him?

Steel Life
12-27-2009, 07:40 PM
As I said D...he'll be back on the sidelines next season - Can we not make too big a deal about it? Hey Gators...win one for Coach Meyer - he won't be back till spring practice!

feltdizz
12-27-2009, 11:08 PM
I love how all of a sudden a coaching job becomes sooooo stressful... It's college for goodness sakes and these guys are making big bucks now. You cannot trust these college coaches... their word is mud. They promise these kids the world then half the time they leave for better jobs and the kid is out of luck.

stlrz d
12-27-2009, 11:37 PM
I love how all of a sudden a coaching job becomes sooooo stressful... It's college for goodness sakes and these guys are making big bucks now. You cannot trust these college coaches... their word is mud. They promise these kids the world then half the time they leave for better jobs and the kid is out of luck.

All of a sudden?

You're right...coaching is totally stress free. Not a care in the world. La la la....

feltdizz
12-28-2009, 04:00 AM

All of a sudden?

You're right...coaching is totally stress free. Not a care in the world. La la la....
It hasn't changed in years.. It's like saying Nascar is fast... we know coaching has stress but coaches like Meyer are paid a ton for the stress...

The only stress Meyer has is losing Tebow...

stlrz d
12-28-2009, 09:50 AM

All of a sudden?

It hasn't changed in years.. It's like saying Nascar is fast... we know coaching has stress but coaches like Meyer are paid a ton for the stress...

You really just don't understand much, do you?

I don't care how effing much someone is paying me to do a job...if it's causing me to have chest pains that could result in me losing my life prematurely I am stepping down...or at the very least stepping aside to see if the issue can be addressed.

I love all these tough guy, key board warriors. :roll:

feltdizz
12-28-2009, 12:31 PM
[quote=feltdizz]I love how all of a sudden a coaching job becomes sooooo stressful... It's college for goodness sakes and these guys are making big bucks now. You cannot trust these college coaches... their word is mud. They promise these kids the world then half the time they leave for better jobs and the kid is out of luck.

All of a sudden?

You really just don't understand much, do you?

I don't care how effing much someone is paying me to do a job...if it's causing me to have chest pains that could result in me losing my life prematurely I am stepping down...or at the very least stepping aside to see if the issue can be addressed.

I love all these tough guy, key board warriors. :roll:[/quote:3r7037bx]

But it's not you..... No one cares if you step down from your job as a soap box operator...

Oh vay! This guy.... what a freaking tool.

The Resident PlanetSteeler "bully" strikes again...

There is nothing tough about stepping down from a 4 million dollar gig...

cruzer8
12-28-2009, 03:50 PM
There's nothing tough about stepping down from a $4 million gig?

How about the $4 million you're walking away from?

I can see why stlrs doesn't get along with you. You have a very bizarre point of view on many things.

feltdizz
12-28-2009, 04:11 PM
There's nothing tough about stepping down from a $4 million gig?

How about the $4 million you're walking away from?

I can see why stlrs doesn't get along with you. You have a very bizarre point of view on many things.

coming from you I take that as a compliment...

frankthetank1
12-28-2009, 05:21 PM
why would meyer step down at florida for any other reasons then he stated? he isnt coaching any where next season. there arent any better college jobs than florida and they pay him a ton of money.

Steel Life
12-28-2009, 06:33 PM
I love his rationale now...he attended practice & saw the hard work & dedication & SURPRISE! He's all ready to go - family & health concerns are over.

But wait! Now there are stories out of Gainesville saying that he had concerns over who might take over the program & where they might take it...that sounds like he's still putting his career over his family & health. I stand by what I said before - drama queen.

NKySteeler
12-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Some programs (usually big ones) can occasionally have alot more "self-induced" stress from anything such as recruiting to booster expectations....

..... Just sayin'.

feltdizz
12-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Some programs (usually big ones) can occasionally have alot more "self-induced" stress from anything such as recruiting to booster expectations....

..... Just sayin'.

This is why they are paid insane amounts of money at top tier programs. Like I stated earlier... the whole stress of coaching is nothing new... Most of us are just as stressed if not more stressed than Meyer... He has millions to fall back on and damn near any job he wants if he were to leave UF.

It was a money grab and I bet he gets a new deal befor next year.

stlrz d
12-28-2009, 10:42 PM
why would meyer step down at florida for any other reasons then he stated? he isnt coaching any where next season. there arent any better college jobs than florida and they pay him a ton of money.

..... Just sayin'.

You guys need to stop making so much sense.