PDA

View Full Version : Titans doing their bit - losing - to help us out.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-25-2009, 09:37 PM
14-3 Chargers, two turnovers by Vince Young.

Gaww, I hope we win Sunday ...

Scarletfire1970
12-25-2009, 09:42 PM
we need them to lose?

Why is there a thread on scout saying we need them to win?

And I go to the playoff scenerio website and this game appears to be inconsequential to our playoff hopes.

So confusing

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Hey Scarlett, I guess it might be me that's confused ... I just figured since they were 7-7 we needed them to go down ... I guess not though, so sorry!! :oops:

Wolfhound45
12-25-2009, 10:59 PM
We have the first tie-breaker on them, head to head.

papillon
12-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Now that the Titans have lost we may need the Texans to lose a game. If we're tied with the Texans we lose the tie break. Tennessee winning would have eliminated the texans as a threat. In a three way tie with Tennessee, the Texans and the Steelers we win, but head=to-head with the Texans we lose. I think. :P

Pappy

Lebsteel
12-25-2009, 11:14 PM
Now that the Titans have lost we may need the Texans to lose a game. If we're tied with the Texans we lose the tie break. Tennessee winning would have eliminated the texans as a threat. In a three way tie with Tennessee, the Texans and the Steelers we win, but head=to-head with the Texans we lose. I think. :P

Pappy

Pappy, you are correct. The Titans had to win out to eliminate the Texans. Now, we have to hope either Miami or New England beats the Texans or we are done.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-25-2009, 11:15 PM

Pappy

Houston plays at Miami, then they play the Pats*. Should lose 1 of them ...

Wolfhound45
12-25-2009, 11:29 PM
We are still in great shape, IF we win out.

papillon
12-26-2009, 01:10 AM
The Steelers need Denver, Baltimore, Jacksonville, Miami, Jets and Houston to lose a game. The good news is that the Steelers control two of those losses, Baltimore and Miami leaving the Steelers Needing losses by Denver, Jacksonville, New York and Houston. I hope the Eagles, New England and Indy can stay motivated. Miami and Houston play this weekend, so, the Steelers get one of the teams they need to lose to lose by default. The best would be for Miami to win, that would eliminate Houston.

Pappy

Lebsteel
12-26-2009, 01:13 AM

I like your optimism, but it is a big IF. Even if we win out, then we are in only IF the Jets lose, IF the Jags lose, IF the Texans lose and IF the Broncos lose. I like our chances and on Sunday, I will be a big Colts, Pats*, Dolphins and Eagles fan because this is the week those teams need to lose. In week 17, I don't see those teams losing (maybe the Texans).

Oh, also, now that the Titans are eliminated, so are the Texans unless the Broncos lose out. If the Texans win out and Denver loses only one game then the Broncos are in and we are out. If the Broncos lose both games and the Texans win out, then the Texans are in. So, there are still a lot of IFs.

papillon
12-26-2009, 09:09 AM

I like your optimism, but it is a big IF. Even if we win out, then we are in only IF the Jets lose, IF the Jags lose, IF the Texans lose and IF the Broncos lose. I like our chances and on Sunday, I will be a big Colts, Pats*, Dolphins and Eagles fan because this is the week those teams need to lose. In week 17, I don't see those teams losing (maybe the Texans).

Oh, also, now that the Titans are eliminated, so are the Texans unless the Broncos lose out. If the Texans win out and Denver loses only one game then the Broncos are in and we are out. If the Broncos lose both games and the Texans win out, then the Texans are in. So, there are still a lot of IFs.

The Texans are still in the hunt. The Steelers are actually the last team (position 11) with an opportunity to get into the playoffs. I don't know the permutations for all the teams to get in, but if the season were over right now the rankings would be the following:

Indy
San Diego
New England
Cincinnati
Baltimore
Denver
Jacksonville
Miami
New York
Houston
Pittsburgh

Only 11 teams left and the Steelers are #11 right now. A lot of football tomorrow that will go a long way to deciding who's in and who's out.

Pappy

NorthCoast
12-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Have you considered that at least one of our benefactors may mail there game in just so they don't have the chance of playing the Steelers in the playoffs? At least a few commentators said that the Steelers could be the most dangerous in the playoffs in they can get in.

Wolfhound45
12-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Have you considered that at least one of our benefactors may mail there game in just so they don't have the chance of playing the Steelers in the playoffs? At least a few commentators said that the Steelers could be the most dangerous in the playoffs in they can get in.

The Pats* come to mind. They are a team that is always playing the game one move (or video frame) ahead of the competition. I can guarantee that they are weighing whether they want the 3rd or 4th seed (they are in the driver's seat right now) based on who the 5th and 6th seed will be.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/ ... race/seeds (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace/seeds)

And Pap is right (as always), we are the 11th out of eleven that are still in the hunt for an AFC wildcard spot. Considering what happened with the Titans loss yesterday, we are probably eliminated if we lose another game.

And yet, as long as we win out, I am feeling pretty good about our chances to get into the playoffs. Unbelievable. Things are lining up quite nicely in our favor.

Wolfhound45
12-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Bottom line, the 2009 playoffs start tomorrow at Heinz Field.

Wolfhound45
12-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Not sure how much effort the Colts are going to put into their game against the Jets. Does anyone think they want to have an undefeated season? Does it mean that much to them?

papillon
12-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Not sure how much effort the Colts are going to put into their game against the Jets. Does anyone think they want to have an undefeated season? Does it mean that much to them?

Here's something that has to play into their thinking. In every instance when they've relaxed at the end of the regular season and didn't play they've been eliminated from the playoffs early. The only time they won the Super Bowl they had to play hard in the 17th week of the season. I think they'll play the entire game. The only thing that might change Caldwell's thinking is if he sees that Peyton is starting to get hit a lot.

Pappy

AkronSteel
12-26-2009, 12:15 PM
I believe all teams need to play to win this weekend!!! The Patriots have to come to play because they haven't nailed down the AFC East yet!! The Colts can't possibly be thinking of taking the next three weeks off considering they are still undefeated and taking 3 weeks off would seriously hinder the run they are on. The Eagles haven't secured the NFC East yet so they are going to come to play against the Broncos!!! The only game that scares me on this weekends schedule is the Dolphins vs Texans! If the Texans can go down to Miami and gain a victory then the Steelers are probably in trouble because I definitely see Tom Brady sitting out week 17 if the Patriots clinch this week. We need the Dolphins to win this week and then we need to go down there next week and handle them ourselves.

I think after this week the standings will look like this!!!

Baltimore 8-7
Miami 8-7
Pittsburgh 8-7
Denver 8-7
Jacksonville 7-8
NYJ 7-8
Houston 7-8
Tennessee 7-8

In this scenario the Dolphins vs Steelers game is a play in game in week 17 for us! If thats the case I will take our chances, especially with Henne at QB in what is basically a playoff game!!

First things first!!! Gotta beat the Ratbirds this weekend!!!

Did I happen to mention? :ratsuck

Wolfhound45
12-26-2009, 12:33 PM
The only game that scares me on this weekends schedule is the Dolphins vs Texans!

Could not agree more. I can only add the Steelers game to the mix as well. I think that we are more than talented enough to beat the Ravens, as long as our defense and special teams hold up. But that is the problem, they have been inconsistent at best this year.

Tomorrow is going to be a tough day. I am hoping for the best.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-26-2009, 12:39 PM

Pappy

Pappy, you are correct. The Titans had to win out to eliminate the Texans. Now, we have to hope either Miami or New England beats the Texans or we are done.

Talking heads saying now that Andre Johnson (WR, Texans) is unstoppable, that Miami lies down against teams with a strong passing attack, and that :wft somehow the Texans have the 2nd best passing attack in the league this year. They're picking Houston. Dang. I hope Ricky Williams floats like a butterfly!!

feltdizz
12-26-2009, 12:49 PM

The Jets are terrible.... even if they sit key guys they should still be able to beat the Jets. Gotta thank their running back last week, they had first and 10 at the 20 and a ton of momentum and got a 15 yard penalty for fighting.

Ozey74
12-26-2009, 05:57 PM

I think they want to go unbeaten. They are competitors and, even though they will never admit it publicly, would love to be the first team to win it all while going 16-0 (the 72' Dolphins went 14-0). The Colts are going full steam ahead in my opinion.

:tt2