PDA

View Full Version : Galloway hopes he can help Steelers

fordfixer
12-24-2009, 02:24 AM
Galloway hopes he can help Steelers

By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sport ... elers.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2009/december/23/galloway-hopes-he-can-help-steelers.html)

Wednesday December 23, 2009 11:50 PM

PITTSBURGH Its easy to spot the new Steelers wide receiver. Hes the guy whose goatee is speckled with gray hair.

At 38, Joey Galloway is now the oldest player on the roster. Hes even older than coach Mike Tomlin, who is 37.

Hes been in the league forever, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said.

No, Galloway hasnt played in the NFL forever. But this is his 15th pro season.

The eighth overall pick of the 1995 draft, Galloway spent the bulk of his career with Seattle (1995-99), Dallas (2000-03) and Tampa Bay (2004-08). This summer, he worked out with the Steelers before signing with New England.

I came very close to signing here, Galloway said. It came down to this team and the other team. I went the other way. But Im here now and Im excited about being here.

Galloway spent six weeks with the Patriots, but only played in three games before he was cut in October. Galloway caught seven passes for 67 yards and no touchdowns in his brief stay with the Pats.

Hes had a great career. Its just one of those things that didnt work out, Patriots coach Bill Belichick said at the time. I dont think its anybody's fault or anything that you can just pinpoint."

Since his release from New England, Galloway has been home in Columbus, Ohio, working out in the event an NFL team needing help at wide receiver would call.
Advertisement Click here

Galloway, a former Ohio State star, got that call Monday when the Steelers placed Limas Sweed on the season-ending reserve/non-football illness list.

Galloway will be in uniform Sunday when the Steelers host the Baltimore Ravens (hell wear jersey No. 84). But its too early to tell how much he will play.

I have a lot to learn in a short period of time, he said. Just because Ive been in this league a long time doesnt help you picking up a new system. Ive had so many systems over the years that Ill have to erase them out of my mind and start fresh.

Galloway, who has 689 career catches, is looking forward to playing with the Steelers. Hes a native of Bellaire, Ohio, located 63 miles southwest of Pittsburgh.

I grew up a Steelers fan, he said. As a kid, I used to wear my black and gold Steelers jersey every Sunday. It was a Lynn Swann jersey. So I always dreamed about this opportunity.

So today when I came in here and got my jersey and helmet, I had that little kid smile. I am excited about being here. I am excited about playing football again and I am extremely excited about being a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Mel Blount's G
12-26-2009, 02:35 AM
As a kid, I used to wear my black and gold Steelers jersey every Sunday. It was a Lynn Swann jersey..."
Dat a boy Joey. Now go out there and compete! Encourage them to work harder!! Teach Holmes a little humility and Sweed some....ummmm...well....aaaaa....confidence.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-26-2009, 11:06 AM
As a kid, I used to wear my black and gold Steelers jersey every Sunday. It was a Lynn Swann jersey..."
Dat a boy Joey. Now go out there and compete! Encourage them to work harder!! Teach Holmes a little humility and Sweed some....ummmm...well....aaaaa....confidence.
Wish he could teach Sweed a thing or two, but I think Limas is home with his momma for the duration of this season.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Anyone hear anything on what happened or what is wrong with Sweed?

RussBII
12-26-2009, 02:09 PM
Anyone hear anything on what happened or what is wrong with Sweed?

Ummm dude couldn't catch herpes in whore house?

Ok, i dunno, just wanted to make fun of him for having Ike hands.