PDA

View Full Version : Galloway makes another new start

fordfixer
12-24-2009, 02:22 AM
Steelers' Galloway makes another new start

By Mark Kaboly, Daily News Sports Editor
Thursday, December 24, 2009
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 59214.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_659214.html)

Joey Galloway spent a couple of months in New England and played in only three games before ultimately getting released during the season for the first time in his long career.

Even so, Galloway, 38, wasn't about to say that his decision of choosing the Patriots over the Steelers was the wrong choice when both teams were trying to lure him to sign a free agent contract during the summer.

"At the time, I felt that decision was the right one to make," Galloway said. "This opportunity is here (now), and I am excited."

The Steelers signed the 15-year veteran of five different NFL teams on Tuesday.

Galloway had succeeded at every stop he had made Seattle, Dallas, and Tampa Bay before flaming out in New England. He had seven catches for 76 yards before getting released after Week 6 by the Patriots.

Galloway is battling with rookie Tyler Grisham for the fourth wide receiver spot, but he will have a lot of work to do to convince the coaching staff that he knows the playbook well enough to be active Sunday.

"Every system has different terminology," Galloway said. "Each team you have to erase what you had and start over. I have started the process."

Galloway has always had plenty of time when he moved from one organization to another, but this is the first time he has joined a team in mid-season.

"It is a new challenge for me and something I am looking forward to," Galloway said.

Yes, that is a mustache Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been rocking the past couple of weeks. For the first time Wednesday, the recently named AFC Player of the Week discussed his new look.

"It's a throwback game ... so a couple of us decided to go with the mustaches and the 70s, 80s hair," said Roethlisberger, who got center Justin Hartwig and kicker Jeff Reed to go along with the plan. "For us, some of our idols, like for me Ken Anderson, we have another surprise at practice."

Roethlisberger wore a No. 14 jersey at practice with the name Anderson stitched on the back. Anderson played 16 years for Cincinnati from 1971-1986.

Roethlisberger has old photos of Anderson's face taped to the wall with the note: "It's Ken Anderson month ... grow your mustache."

Safety Ryan Mundy has saw his role on the defense decline over the past few weeks. Mundy played only a handful of snaps against the Packers and didn't play at all against the Browns the week before that.

"Coming into the season, my standards and expectations were sky high," Mundy said. "I have to keep it in perspective that this is really my first full year in the NFL."

Safety Troy Polamalu did not practice yesterday and is unlikely to play when the Steelers host Baltimore on Sunday.

"I don't think so, but we will see what coach has to say," said Polamalu when asked if he were going to play this week.

Polamalu has missed five consecutive games with a PCL injury after missing four games with a MCL strain. He leads the team with three interceptions despite playing only 18 quarters of football the entire year.

Also not practicing for the Steelers were WR Hines Ward (hamstring), RB Willie Parker (knee), CB Anthony Madison (illness) and DE Brett Keisel (neck). Limited were RB Rashard Mendenhall (hip), CB Keenan Lewis (back) and WR Mike Wallace (knee).

DIGITS

12 Touchdowns the Ravens have scored in three December games.

350 Points scored by Baltimore through 14 games.

QUOTABLE

"When I think of the Steelers, I look at their legacy and their tradition, and I'm respectful of it. The players on their team today are dialed into the Steelers' way, and you know they pay homage to their history. It's just special to play them. It's full of respect. It always is." Ray Lewis, Baltimore linebacker, about playing the Steelers.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Galloway is battling with rookie Tyler Grisham for the fourth wide receiver spot, but he will have a lot of work to do to convince the coaching staff that he knows the playbook well enough to be active Sunday.

It seems dumb that Tyler Grisham can be with the team from after the draft, through the mini camps, training camp, preseason, and all the regular season practices......which would lead me to believe he knows our system and playbook.....and he could be beat out by a 38 year old that was home working out on his own? I mean just the mere fact that Grisham is on our practice squad the whole year tells me he must at a minimum be able to catch and pick up the plays or they would have cut him in camp and put a better player on the practice squad.

Personally I would like to see him given a chance if he knows the plays. Otherwise, what is the point of him being on the team?