PDA

View Full Version : Ben: We are a pass first team now

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Nice article, except (IMO) where they talk about Ariens.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81535c67&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

Roethlisberger tags traditionally run-heavy Steelers a passing team

Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Let this statistic register: 503 passing yards.

Peyton Manning or Drew Brees? Not a surprise. But a 503-yard game -- and in a win, no less -- by the Pittsburgh Steelers, traditionally the NFL's strongest proponents of knock-'em-down, run-'em-over football?
Anatomy of a Play
Gene Puskar/Associated Press
NFL Films' Greg Cosell explains Ben Roethlisberger's 35-yard touchdown pass to Mike Wallace, which effectively preserved the team's playoff hopes for at least one more week. More ...

Believe it. Finally, after years of traveling by foot or by Bus (as in Jerome Bettis), the Steelers are part of the NFL's jet age.

Ben Roethlisberger is making it official, declaring that the Steelers are a throwing team first and a running team second, a significant change in character and philosophy that one of the NFL's most venerable franchises has rarely dared to make.

The evidence: Roethlisberger's team-record 503 yards Sunday against the Green Bay Packers, the 10th-best passing day in NFL history.

"I think it's probably hard for people to really wrap their head and fingers around, but this offense is changing, this team is changing on offense," Roethlisberger said Wednesday. "It's not a run-first team anymore. That's not a bad thing, it really isn't. We got two 1,000-yard receivers, we'll have a 1,000-yard rusher, it's a pretty fun thing."

What traditionalists are having difficulty grasping is it's now the Steelers' thing.

The stats sheet doesn't lie: Since becoming Pittsburgh's starting quarterback in 2004, Roethlisberger has produced five of the top seven passing-yardage games in team history and four of the top eight passing seasons.

Roethlisberger already has surpassed the Steelers' single-season passing record with two games remaining -- he has thrown for 3,849 yards -- and is closing in on the team's first 4,000-yard season. He has accounted for three of the six most productive passing-yardage games in team history this season, also throwing for 417 yards against the Cleveland Browns on Oct. 18 and 398 yards against the Kansas City Chiefs on Nov. 22.

Until Roethlisberger came along, the Steelers had just two 400-yard games since being founded in 1933, much less a 500-yard game.

Roethlisberger's five game-winning touchdown passes in the final two minutes of a game since 2004 are a league high.

"I've said it 1,000 times, the league evolves offensively and defensively and, offensively, it has evolved," Roethlisberger said. "You have to keep up with those teams, the Indianapolises, the Saints, teams like that because if you don't, you're going to get left behind."

The Super Bowl champions kept hearing during their recent five-game losing streak that they needed to get back to a better mix of the run and pass. Regardless, Roethlisberger came out throwing against Green Bay with a 60-yard TD pass to Mike Wallace on the first play from scrimmage.

The Steelers (7-7) finished with just 19 rushing attempts, the second time this season that they've had fewer than 20.

"We came out and threw the ball a bunch early, the first couple of plays were passes and I think it threw everybody for a loop," Roethlisberger said. "Everybody assumed we would come out and just run the ball and pound it."

To understand what a change this is, consider the Steelers' 85,450 rushing yards since the 1970 NFL merger are 4,856 yards more than any other team. By comparison, they're 23rd in passing yards, throwing for nearly 19,000 yards fewer than the San Francisco 49ers.

For the first time in their history, the Steelers likely will have two 1,000-yard receivers (Santonio Holmes and Hines Ward), a 1,000-yard running back in Rashard Mendenhall and a 4,000-yard passer. In a sign of Pittsburgh's times, Mendenhall had more yards receiving (73) than rushing (38) against Green Bay.

"I don't know if that is a new trend," third-year Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said, referring to the supposed decline in running-based teams. "People have their personality, and they gear their personality toward how they want to play football. As long as it fits your people and there's a level of belief in it."

It's pretty evident what the Steelers believe in -- at least Roethlisberger and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

"It's awesome to witness," defensive end Brett Keisel said.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

stlrz d
12-23-2009, 10:57 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81535c67&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

Roethlisberger tags traditionally run-heavy Steelers a passing team

Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Let this statistic register: 503 passing yards.

Peyton Manning or Drew Brees? Not a surprise. But a 503-yard game -- and in a win, no less -- by the Pittsburgh Steelers, traditionally the NFL's strongest proponents of knock-'em-down, run-'em-over football?

Believe it. Finally, after years of traveling by foot or by Bus (as in Jerome Bettis), the Steelers are part of the NFL's jet age.

Ben Roethlisberger is making it official, declaring that the Steelers are a throwing team first and a running team second, a significant change in character and philosophy that one of the NFL's most venerable franchises has rarely dared to make.

The evidence: Roethlisberger's team-record 503 yards Sunday against the Green Bay Packers, the 10th-best passing day in NFL history.

"I think it's probably hard for people to really wrap their head and fingers around, but this offense is changing, this team is changing on offense," Roethlisberger said Wednesday. "It's not a run-first team anymore. That's not a bad thing, it really isn't. We got two 1,000-yard receivers, we'll have a 1,000-yard rusher, it's a pretty fun thing."

What traditionalists are having difficulty grasping is it's now the Steelers' thing.

The stats sheet doesn't lie: Since becoming Pittsburgh's starting quarterback in 2004, Roethlisberger has produced five of the top seven passing-yardage games in team history and four of the top eight passing seasons.

Roethlisberger already has surpassed the Steelers' single-season passing record with two games remaining -- he has thrown for 3,849 yards -- and is closing in on the team's first 4,000-yard season. He has accounted for three of the six most productive passing-yardage games in team history this season, also throwing for 417 yards against the Cleveland Browns on Oct. 18 and 398 yards against the Kansas City Chiefs on Nov. 22.

Until Roethlisberger came along, the Steelers had just two 400-yard games since being founded in 1933, much less a 500-yard game.

Roethlisberger's five game-winning touchdown passes in the final two minutes of a game since 2004 are a league high.

"I've said it 1,000 times, the league evolves offensively and defensively and, offensively, it has evolved," Roethlisberger said. "You have to keep up with those teams, the Indianapolises, the Saints, teams like that because if you don't, you're going to get left behind."

The Super Bowl champions kept hearing during their recent five-game losing streak that they needed to get back to a better mix of the run and pass. Regardless, Roethlisberger came out throwing against Green Bay with a 60-yard TD pass to Mike Wallace on the first play from scrimmage.

The Steelers (7-7) finished with just 19 rushing attempts, the second time this season that they've had fewer than 20.

"We came out and threw the ball a bunch early, the first couple of plays were passes and I think it threw everybody for a loop," Roethlisberger said. "Everybody assumed we would come out and just run the ball and pound it."

To understand what a change this is, consider the Steelers' 85,450 rushing yards since the 1970 NFL merger are 4,856 yards more than any other team. By comparison, they're 23rd in passing yards, throwing for nearly 19,000 yards fewer than the San Francisco 49ers.

For the first time in their history, the Steelers likely will have two 1,000-yard receivers (Santonio Holmes and Hines Ward), a 1,000-yard running back in Rashard Mendenhall and a 4,000-yard passer. In a sign of Pittsburgh's times, Mendenhall had more yards receiving (73) than rushing (38) against Green Bay.

"I don't know if that is a new trend," third-year Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said, referring to the supposed decline in running-based teams. "People have their personality, and they gear their personality toward how they want to play football. As long as it fits your people and there's a level of belief in it."

It's pretty evident what the Steelers believe in -- at least Roethlisberger and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

"It's awesome to witness," defensive end Brett Keisel said.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

I was going to put this in the "Big Ben asked to do too much" thread but I figured it deserved it's own thread.

Oviedo
12-23-2009, 11:00 PM
None of the great teams in this league are running teams. It is a passing league and those who long for a run first offense are still living in the 80s. The league has done everything this decade to give distinct advantages to the passing game. To ignore that is just foolish.

You can win a championship without a running game. Both a strong passing game and defense are far more importnat that a running game.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-23-2009, 11:06 PM
stlrz-d - Beat ya to it! :Boobs :Cheers :Cheers

stlrz d
12-23-2009, 11:10 PM

That's only because I took the time to edit out the non-story stuff from mine! :lol:

But I'll give mine one of these just for you:

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/4731760/Merge-main_Full.jpg

stlrz d
12-23-2009, 11:11 PM

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-23-2009, 11:13 PM

That's only because I took the time to edit out the non-story stuff from mine! :lol:

Hey, so did I!!

Anyway, at least you showed me where that merge sign is, and how to put images in ... I had no idea how to do that!!

:Cheers

papillon
12-23-2009, 11:20 PM
This version of the Steelers is only 7-7 and if they had the ability to milk a few extra minutes of the clock they would be 10-4 or 11-3. You pass to get the lead and run the ball to put the game away. Trying to put games away passing the ball allows the other team opportunities to put points on the board without time coming off the clock (This has cost the Steeler big this year). Ignoring that can be a mistake as well.

Pappy

stlrz d
12-23-2009, 11:28 PM

Hey, so did I!!

Anyway, at least you showed me where that merge sign is, and how to put images in ... I had no idea how to do that!!

:Cheers

Part of it. :D

You left this part in the beginning:

Anatomy of a Play
Gene Puskar/Associated Press
NFL Films' Greg Cosell explains Ben Roethlisberger's 35-yard touchdown pass to Mike Wallace, which effectively preserved the team's playoff hopes for at least one more week. More ...

:lol:

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-23-2009, 11:56 PM
^^ Drats!!

Iron Shiek
12-24-2009, 12:34 AM
^^ Drats!!

I liked yours better SASF! :P

Eat it d. :moon :D

sd steel
12-24-2009, 12:56 AM
As Woody Hayes used to say, "There are three things that can happen when you pass the football, an two of them ain't good." I think we saw this with Maddox's huge numbers, and now we are seeing it with Ben. Big passing numbers doesn't equate to wins. You need to be strong on the ground no matter what, passing can take you to the next level, but the ground game has to be used and it has to be effective throughout the game to consistantly put opponents away.

Starlifter
12-24-2009, 12:58 AM
I agree with Pappy. nothing wrong with being a pass-first team or being able to score quickly. If we lose the ability though to score SLOWLY then we'll never be able to put a game away. Pass first, run second by choice - good. pass first, run second, go shotgun on 3rd and 1 because we can't bruise it out for one yard - that's how you get to 7-7.

Iron Shiek
12-24-2009, 01:00 AM
We would all love that sd, but that's not how BA's brain (and to an extend Ben's) operates. I've seen Mendenhall have some incredible games, so its really unbelievable that we don't ram it down people's throats and close out games.

feltdizz
12-24-2009, 01:25 AM
Awe damn.... First thing my sister said the other day is how hard it has to be for Ben to not feel like a God with a game like that.

what the hell are we trying to keep up with is my question to Ben? Is it stats? It definitely isn't wins... We are freaking 7-7.. I have no problem with us being 60/40 pass run... But like Pappy said.. When you are up 10 points or more why pass to protect the lead?

While the Colts and Saints are fun to watch we have yet to see if they will make noise in the playoffs or if they fall short like most pass happy teams do

Arians will be here next year... Ben thinks 503 yards and a last second win prove passing is the way to go...

Whether I like it or not I will cheer for it.

feltdizz
12-24-2009, 01:27 AM
Awe damn.... First thing my sister said the other day is how hard it has to be for Ben to not feel like a God with a game like that.

what the hell are we trying to keep up with is my question to Ben? Is it stats? It definitely isn't wins... We are freaking 7-7.. I have no problem with us being 60/40 pass run... But like Pappy said.. When you are up 10 points or more why pass to protect the lead?

While the Colts and Saints are fun to watch we have yet to see if they will make noise in the playoffs or if they fall short like most pass happy teams do

Arians will be here next year... Ben thinks 503 yards and a last second win prove passing is the way to go...

Whether I like it or not I will cheer for it.

sd steel
12-24-2009, 01:31 AM
We would all love that sd, but that's not how BA's brain (and to an extend Ben's) operates. I've seen Mendenhall have some incredible games, so its really unbelievable that we don't ram it down people's throats and close out games.

I agree, and I think this is why Ben and BA get along so well. I have stated here more than a couple of times that Ben runs the show, not BA, and by him coming out and making this statement only leads me to believe that Ben is the ringmaster. But 7-7 sandlot ball doesn't cut it. He made a great throw to Wallace on a great route from 20 yards out, why can't we see the same precision and accuracy on some 5 -7 yard slants or outs on a regular basis to keep the chains moving? Not hating, just asking. No doubt Ben is a stud, and the defense should bare most of the negative feedback this season, but with Mendenhall we should be able to be a pretty balanced and effective offensive ball club, but we are still very inconsistant.

Flasteel
12-24-2009, 02:00 AM
None of the great teams in this league are running teams. It is a passing league and those who long for a run first offense are still living in the 80s. The league has done everything this decade to give distinct advantages to the passing game. To ignore that is just foolish.

You can win a championship without a running game. Both a strong passing game and defense are far more importnat that a running game.

That's total crap Veedo. You can win a championship being deficient in any one of those areas and just because the rules are set up to take advantage of the passing game, it doesn't render the run obsolete.

Our most efficient passing comes off of play action and the running game is also key to keeping a defense fresh...especially when they can't get off the field on 3rd downs or by forcing turnovers. You also need that running game to get the tough yards in the clutch. To run out the clock with the lead. Keep a pass rush at bay, draw the linebackers and safeties up, and to especially force your will on the opposition.

Being pass-happy is not the key to success... a balanced offense is what's needed. We are not a balanced offense and it has hurt us on both sides of the ball. I have no problem leaning towards the pass, but my comfort in doing so only rests with the fact that we have a franchise quarterback in Ben Roethlisberger. That in no way excuses marginalizing the running game the way we have under Arians.

skyhawk
12-24-2009, 02:11 AM
A shi$$y defense and special teams is how you get to be 7-7. Not by not running the ball well.

Although I think with a better OL they would have won 1-2 others.

sd steel
12-24-2009, 02:11 AM

That's total crap Veedo. You can win a championship being deficient in any one of those areas and just because the rules are set up to take advantage of the passing game, it doesn't render the run obsolete.

Our most efficient passing comes off of play action and the running game is also key to keeping a defense fresh...especially when they can't get off the field on 3rd downs or by forcing turnovers. You also need that running game to get the tough yards in the clutch. To run out the clock with the lead. Keep a pass rush at bay, draw the linebackers and safeties up, and to especially force your will on the opposition.

Being pass-happy is not the key to success... a balanced offense is what's needed. We are not a balanced offense and it has hurt us on both sides of the ball. I have no problem leaning towards the pass, but my comfort in doing so only rests with the fact that we have a franchise quarterback in Ben Roethlisberger. That in no way excuses marginalizing the running game the way we have under Arians.

:Agree

Scarletfire1970
12-24-2009, 08:09 AM
This version of the Steelers is only 7-7 and if they had the ability to milk a few extra minutes of the clock they would be 10-4 or 11-3. You pass to get the lead and run the ball to put the game away. Trying to put games away passing the ball allows the other team opportunities to put points on the board without time coming off the clock (This has cost the Steeler big this year). Ignoring that can be a mistake as well.

Pappy
I'd love to be able to pass the ball to get the lead and run the clock out. But I think what has cost this team too many games this year is our poor secondary and defense in general, particularly in the 4th qtr that allows teams to just go right down the field and score 20 plus points in the blink of an eye.

Captain Lemming
12-24-2009, 09:38 AM

Pappy
I'd love to be able to pass the ball to get the lead and run the clock out. But I think what has cost this team too many games this year is our poor secondary and defense in general, particularly in the 4th qtr that allows teams to just go right down the field and score 20 plus points in the blink of an eye.

Running the ball eats the clock. If you run the ball effectively, it is hard to give up 20 points in a quarter no matter how bad the secondary. They need three possessions at a hundred percent TD rate to score 20. Unless of course we give them pick sixes, yet another consequence of the "pass happy" style.

feltdizz
12-24-2009, 09:46 AM
running the ball burns the clock 100% of the time... I don't see how anyone wants to pass the ball to burn clock... The incompletion is an automatic gift of 35 seconds to the other team.

I realize our D sucks but if we run Mendenhall 5 more times last game it would have been much easier to win. We also need to factor in the high sack total as well. While it burns clock it closes half the playbook. I don't think anyone wants to run for the hell of it... Mend is special and I would hate to see a talent like that not get touches. I do applaud Ben using Mend in the passing attack and see a 2 yard dump as damn near a long handoff.

papillon
12-24-2009, 09:49 AM

And, maybe that's where a more disciplined coach that has a bit more control over his quarterback or a quarterback with a bit more discipline himself would benefit this team. I am beginning to lean towards some new leadership on offense an old school guy that will listen to input from Ben and work as a team, but if he sees too much of something can rein him in and get him back on the game plan.

I think Arians has done an admirable job of designing an offense, but a poor job of managing Ben.

Pappy

NorthCoast
12-24-2009, 10:40 AM

And, maybe that's where a more disciplined coach that has a bit more control over his quarterback or a quarterback with a bit more discipline himself would benefit this team. I am beginning to lean towards some new leadership on offense an old school guy that will listen to input from Ben and work as a team, but if he sees too much of something can rein him in and get him back on the game plan.

I think Arians has done an admirable job of designing an offense, but a poor job of managing Ben.

Pappy

do we have a mini- Brett Favre here? who runs this team anyway?

Mister Pittsburgh
12-24-2009, 10:43 AM
running the ball burns the clock 100% of the time... I don't see how anyone wants to pass the ball to burn clock... The incompletion is an automatic gift of 35 seconds to the other team.

I realize our D sucks but if we run Mendenhall 5 more times last game it would have been much easier to win. We also need to factor in the high sack total as well. While it burns clock it closes half the playbook. I don't think anyone wants to run for the hell of it... Mend is special and I would hate to see a talent like that not get touches. I do applaud Ben using Mend in the passing attack and see a 2 yard dump as damn near a long handoff.

To me this is the key in our passing attack. Ben/Arians need to learn to settle for the dump off in the flat to their RB or TE. Drops on 3rd down and an inadequate redzone offense have killed us this season. I hope they keep up the passes to the RB. Mendenhall may have only had like 40 yards rushing on limited attempts vs. Green Bay....but he had a decent amount of catches for near 80 yards.

Steeler Mafia
12-24-2009, 10:54 AM
"It's not a run-first team anymore. That's not a bad thing, it really isn't. We got two 1,000-yard receivers, we'll have a 1,000-yard rusher, it's a pretty fun thing." ~Big Ben

That is wonderful Ben and where is you team now? Oh that is right, they are 7-7 with their playoff hopes riding on winning the last two games and praying that other teams lose and help their cause. Maybe if you ran the ball more in those 5 straight loses, we would aready be in the playoffs and could have contended for another AFC North Division title.

If this was the plan all along, why in the world did we draft Mendenhall? This offensive style and the pi$$ poor run blocking of the O-line trashed the running talent of FWP. Now it is going to do the same for Mendy as well.

Say what you want, but I am stuck in my old ways and love my Steelers as they used to be known. A smash mouth, hard hitting, grind you into the turf running team. Opposing teams know what is coming, but you just can't stop it. They might as well change the signs at Heinz field that have a picture of Art Rooney with the word "Believe" underneath. The new signs should be a picture of BA with the words "Change and Hope?" underneath.

papillon
12-24-2009, 10:59 AM

Pappy

That's certainly one take on the situation. My take is somewhat different. What I see is the Steelers move the ball between the twenties and score an occasional early TD, FG etc., but when it comes time to put the hammer down and salt away the game early a few failed pass plays and run and you have 4th down with very little clock being used and no points.

Yards in the middle of the field are easier to garner than yards from the 20 to the goal line. A stout running attack eats clock and gains those tough yards and sets up the play action pass. And, it just so happens that the Steelers are extremely efficient using the play action pass.

Passing early to get a lead is great, but giving opponents opportunity after opportunity with a marginal lead gives you a 7-7 team and playing "must win" games, IMO.

Running the ball is still the way to win games in this league.

Pappy

Steeler Mafia
12-24-2009, 11:09 AM

Pappy

That's certainly one take on the situation. My take is somewhat different. What I see is the Steelers move the ball between the twenties and score an occasional early TD, FG etc., but when it comes time to put the hammer down and salt away the game early a few failed pass plays and run and you have 4th down with very little clock being used and no points.

Yards in the middle of the field are easier to garner than yards from the 20 to the goal line. A stout running attack eats clock and gains those tough yards and sets up the play action pass. And, it just so happens that the Steelers are extremely efficient using the play action pass.

Passing early to get a lead is great, but giving opponents opportunity after opportunity with a marginal lead gives you a 7-7 team and playing "must win" games, IMO.

Running the ball is still the way to win games in this league.

Pappy

Very eloquently put. I must concur. :Bow

papillon
12-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Let me add this while the soap box is open for use. The Steelers may have lost the Green Bay game running the ball more and not being able to pull the Houdini act and win the game; but, they in all likelihood would have won 5 of the games they lost had they been able to control the clock better late in the game.

I'll trade a loss to the Pack for the other 5 wins and have a lock on a playoff spot right now and be discussing why we should pass more rather than why we need to run more.

Pappy

grotonsteel
12-24-2009, 11:50 AM
How many people were screaming about turtle ball after Steelers lost to Bungles in Cincy...????

Mendy was having trouble running the ball against Packers. Do you all still think BA should have run the ball on 1st down and 2nd down??? Do you think Steelers would have won the Packers game by running the ball more??

Steelers don't have a good defense to defend a 10 point lead. Steelers tried to milk the clock against Bears and Bungles and Steelers lost. If Steelers would have gone to same play calling mode against Packers..mark it as a loss.

Its not like Steelers don't run the ball. Mendy is a 1000 yrd rusher in like 10 games as a starter. I don't see any issues being a pass happy offense. League has made changes which favor the passing offense. I don't think why we should not utilize it. Ravens in 2000 is an exception.

Mendy is getting enough carries to be a 1000 yard rusher. Plus he is getting more involved in passing offense. If Steelers can convert their offense to NE offense i will be more than happy.

Can anyone put TOP Steelers offense had this season. That should tell a fact. I am pretty sure Steelers D was not on field for 35-40 min/game. Saints offense is a quick strike offense. I don't see New Orleans Saints Defense gasping for breathe.

Steelers D is old and Steelers D sucks big time. Even I can pass for 300 yards against that pathetic secondary. James harrison is MIA for what 5 games now. People are calling out Big Ben but what about DMVP?? He has done nothing in last 4-5 games. I think he has 0 sacks and couple of Assists.

Steelers D is the main reason Steelers are 7-7.

Steeler Mafia
12-24-2009, 12:16 PM
How many people were screaming about turtle ball after Steelers lost to Bungles in Cincy...????

Mendy was having trouble running the ball against Packers. Do you all still think BA should have run the ball on 1st down and 2nd down??? Do you think Steelers would have won the Packers game by running the ball more??

Steelers don't have a good defense to defend a 10 point lead. Steelers tried to milk the clock against Bears and Bungles and Steelers lost. If Steelers would have gone to same play calling mode against Packers..mark it as a loss.

Its not like Steelers don't run the ball. Mendy is a 1000 yrd rusher in like 10 games as a starter. I don't see any issues being a pass happy offense. League has made changes which favor the passing offense. I don't think why we should not utilize it. Ravens in 2000 is an exception.

Mendy is getting enough carries to be a 1000 yard rusher. Plus he is getting more involved in passing offense. If Steelers can convert their offense to NE offense i will be more than happy.

Can anyone put TOP Steelers offense had this season. That should tell a fact. I am pretty sure Steelers D was not on field for 35-40 min/game. Saints offense is a quick strike offense. I don't see New Orleans Saints Defense gasping for breathe.

Steelers D is old and Steelers D sucks big time. Even I can pass for 300 yards against that pathetic secondary. James harrison is MIA for what 5 games now. People are calling out Big Ben but what about DMVP?? He has done nothing in last 4-5 games. I think he has 0 sacks and couple of Assists.

The Steelers D is a contibuting factor of why this team is 7 -7, but not the main reason.

(some examples)
Chicago loss - Jeff Reed misses FG
Both Cincy loses - Poor blocking. No ball control in 4th Qtr.
Cleveland loss - No run game

papillon
12-24-2009, 12:36 PM

I don't know how many, but I know there were some. I wasn't one of them. I like being 100-1 in games when the Steelers had a 10 point or more lead in the 4th quarter.

Mendy was getting yards early and then inexplicably they abandoned the running game. Yes, in some series running the ball on 1st and 2nd down isn't bad. Some series you can run it on all three downs, the same as they pass on 1st, 2nd and 3rd fail to make a 1st down and punt while taking less than seconds off the clock.

Agreed the defense is a major issue this year. To protect the defense the offense can help by sustaining drives and burning clock.

It will be interesting to see who does well in the playoffs. I like Minnesota if Favre and Childress can reconcile, I like the Chargers and the Cowboys could do damage this year. I believe that Indy and the Saints will not be in their respective championship games this year.

He's a great back and if they use more in the short passing game that's just like running the ball. I'll take that all day. It will also open the intermediate routes, because, the backers will not be able to take deep drops.

Agreed. James Harrison has been a no show lately and Woodley was a no show early. The secondary is being exposed weekly and the defensive line is old, but holding their own. They are culpable, but, unlike last year when the defense helped a struggling offense, the offense isn't helping a struggling defense.

The Steelers are 7-7 because each of the units has played poorly at one time or another. The defense has been horrible in the 4th quarter all year and recently the entire game. The offense has a lot of yards, but not enough points to match the yards. The special teams, well, there isn't even any reason to discuss them.

However, early in the year had the offense been able to move the ball consistently late in games the Steelers would be in a better position. Yea, it would have been nice for the defense to actually show up, but, this discussion is about how the Steeler offense is playing. Being more dedicated to the run, IMO, would have benefited this team early in the season.

Pappy

Leper Friend
12-24-2009, 12:37 PM

I was blasted on here for defending BA after that game for that exact reason.

Leper Friend
12-24-2009, 12:41 PM

Pappy
That nails it.

Just because we are a pass first team doesn't mean we can't run when needed.

Leper Friend
12-24-2009, 12:44 PM

Two things about this quote.

1st - Who gives a crap about fun ? It's a results business.

2nd - A 1000 yard rusher isn't nearly as impressive as it used to be. 17 guys are on pace this year for a 1000 and possibly as many as 22. 1200 to 1300 should be the new benchmark.

frankthetank1
12-24-2009, 12:55 PM

2nd - A 1000 yard rusher isn't nearly as impressive as it used to be. 17 guys are on pace this year for a 1000 and possibly as many as 22. 1200 to 1300 should be the new benchmark.

a 1,000 yard rusher is impressive when he doesnt start until week 4 or so

Iron Shiek
12-24-2009, 12:59 PM

No crap! Stephen Hawking (reference from the other thread) could average 62.5 yards a game! 1000 yards means nothing to me anymore at least. I wish media people who reference this stuff would just put a stake in the ground on not using that number. It should really be closer to what you are saying. 1300 is at least 81 yds a game, that's comparable to a 1000 yd season when there was 12 games. Seems logical.

Oviedo
12-24-2009, 01:07 PM

The Steelers D is a contibuting factor of why this team is 7 -7, but not the main reason.

(some examples)
Chicago loss - Jeff Reed misses FG
Both Cincy loses - Poor blocking. No ball control in 4th Qtr.
Cleveland loss - No run game

Got to disagree. The defense squarely owns 3-4 of our losses with their poor performance and complete inability to make key plays. They are significantly more than a contributing factor. They have blood all over them and have been caught with the knife in their hands.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-24-2009, 01:40 PM
We would be fine with a pass first offense if we had an offensive coordinator that could harness Ben and devise a more consistant offense where we have a lot more short, underneath passes and quick screens and the like.

You don't need to run the ball to win. You gotta keep your foot on the gas. With the salary cap I don't think you can have a good passing game, good defense, good running game, etc. We pay big money to our QB, WR, TE, RB, and Defense. Our line is probably one of the cheapest built units on the team. So where do you take the cap money from to build up a very good line that can pass & run block with authority? Do we get rid of Ben and get a Trent Dilfer type QB? Do we let go of Hines and not resign Holmes so we can afford a good line? That is the issue with our run game so where do you get the dollars for a highly paid offensive line? Do you play young guys on D to have the money? Maybe let Heath walk?

Earlier I mention keeping the foot on the gas. A prime example is in the AFCCG last year against Baltimore. If we come out in the third quarter and keep passing like we had in teh first half and lit them up like we did in the first half, we destroy them. The game is a snoozer come the 4th quarter. Instead we come out and try and run the ball to burn clock but end up getting 1 yard per carry and punting every 4th play. That, was a dumb approach.

I think the key is to be able to exploit a teams weakness be it with the pass or run. That comes from gameplanning. That comes with a good OC. That comes with an OC that keeps the opposition guessing and gets creative. That isn't BA. This weekend vs. Baltimore they lost their starting young CB for the year last week. Teams pick on William Gay all game long. Is BA smart enough to do the same? Teams are smart enough to try and isolate their RB on pass plays so Farrior is on them......are we smart enough to do the same with Mendenhall?

grotonsteel
12-24-2009, 01:43 PM

I don't know how many, but I know there were some. I wasn't one of them. I like being 100-1 in games when the Steelers had a 10 point or more lead in the 4th quarter.

Pappy

I believe Steelers O-line is far better in Pass Protection than in Run Blocking. Again that is just my opinion. I don't have any stats to back that up.

Steelers are struggling to run the ball in red-zone. Maybe it is play calling or O-line blocking not sure but Steelers have struggled to run/pass the ball in red zone.

If they can fix it may help Steelers win more games.

grotonsteel
12-24-2009, 01:50 PM

Blame the Steelers D for this situation not the Pass Offense.

If you think running the ball is recipe for success then why is Miami struggling. They controlled the ball for 45 min against Colts and still lost.

Steelers D can't create turnovers and that has been the main issue. Steelers CB does not have a single INT this season. With teams in NFL passing so much that is a shame.

We turned Cutler, Cassell and Gardowski into Joe Montana. Blame it on Defense.

Offense has played a part but Defense has to take the cake.

grotonsteel
12-24-2009, 01:52 PM
Earlier I mention keeping the foot on the gas. A prime example is in the AFCCG last year against Baltimore. If we come out in the third quarter and keep passing like we had in teh first half and lit them up like we did in the first half, we destroy them. The game is a snoozer come the 4th quarter. Instead we come out and try and run the ball to burn clock but end up getting 1 yard per carry and punting every 4th play. That, was a dumb approach.

People on this board want to see that Steelers run the ball more even though Steelers are not successful running the ball in that game.I fail to understand how is 3 and out called ball control especially with Paper Curtain Steelers D????

I think the key is to be able to exploit a teams weakness be it with the pass or run.

:Clap :Clap :Agree

Sugar
12-24-2009, 03:30 PM

Blame the Steelers D for this situation not the Pass Offense.

If you think running the ball is recipe for success then why is Miami struggling. They controlled the ball for 45 min against Colts and still lost.

Steelers D can't create turnovers and that has been the main issue. Steelers CB does not have a single INT this season. With teams in NFL passing so much that is a shame.

We turned Cutler, Cassell and Gardowski into Joe Montana. Blame it on Defense.

Offense has played a part but Defense has to take the cake.

Let's not forget ST here. Missing critical FG's, having kicks returned for TD's and giving up huge chunks of real estate on returns has cost us dearly this year. I could live with our O and D playing exactly as they have had we not had those mistakes. We'd still have plenty to be ticked about, but we'd also be 11-3 right now.

Steelerphile
12-24-2009, 05:40 PM

Pappy

I believe Steelers O-line is far better in Pass Protection than in Run Blocking. Again that is just my opinion. I don't have any stats to back that up.

Steelers are struggling to run the ball in red-zone. Maybe it is play calling or O-line blocking not sure but Steelers have struggled to run/pass the ball in red zone.

If they can fix it may help Steelers win more games.

I believe there is something to this. Steelers have a lot of fat bodies on the O-line, who can't trap, move quickly and block downhill, but are huge and heavy and harder to bull-rush and run around. so they probably are better at pass blocking.

I prefer a leaner O-line that can move. They probably must lean on the pass somewhat, but that doesn't dismiss the idea that they have to be able to run. You can't pass all the time. They have screwed up some drives by being too predictable. In icy, windy weather, you have to be able to run. New Orleans and Indianapolis play in domes. Pittsburgh is a Nothern city and plays outdoors on natural turf.

feltdizz
12-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Now people are saying our OL is better at pass blocking? WTF? we win one shootout and now people think we are the Colts? Our pass blocking is suspect at best... The game before last we had 8 sacks. Some of the logic on the board is so short sighted it's laughable...

Everyone on the board was saying our OL would get Ben killed...

We have fat bodies who are much better at run blocking and all year the OL says they want to run more then we do... Mend has 1000 yards and we are complaining about not running enough.. Obviously with only 10 games played Mend can run and the OL can block.

Mend is averaging damn near 5 yards a pop... why are we acting like he is getting 2 yards? Case in point was the KC game in OT with Batch... Mend gets 7 yards on 1st down and we drop back to pass on 2nd and 3rd... Then we punted and the rest was history.

Chicago, Mend goes off then poof.. No more touches..

GB.. Mend had a nice 10 yard gain and that may have been his last touch...FWP even had a 10 yard burst before he went back to letting arms bring him down.

Like someone said earlier... I long for the days of complaining about turtle ball while 10-4.... Way more then hearing people cheer for pass happy Steelers who struggle to win and are .500