PDA

View Full Version : 37 years ago today....

NKySteeler
12-23-2009, 05:31 PM
December 23, 1972... The Immaculate Reception against the Raiders...

... Where were you?

I was sitting on the couch with my dad explaining how important this was...

Steeler Mafia
12-23-2009, 05:36 PM
I was just starting on solid foods and preparing for my 1st birthday. :lol: :tt2 :tt2

Steelgal
12-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Another 'pup' here. I was only 2 at the time. Can't believe it's been that long ago......

ColumbusSteelerFan
12-23-2009, 05:51 PM
I was about two years from entering this world, so no memory of it here. My dad did recall he and my mom watching the game and explaining to her how incredible that play was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07zsdF0ysP0

NKySteeler
12-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Damn.... Pass the Geritol, please.... :lol:

I was 7, and my dad went nutso when it happened. Made me wear my Steelers jersey as we made the rounds to all the relatives that Christmas... :lol:

NC Steeler Fan
12-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Gotcha beat, I was 8.

All I remember is the house going nutso like it always did when the
Steelers were on tv.

Me and my mom used to have to go out on the front porch at the
very end of games when it was coming down to the wire (like this
past weekend's greenbay game!) because we couldn't stand to
watch.

I remember my dad calling out for us to get our butts back inside
because we had won several times! :lol:

NKySteeler
12-23-2009, 06:38 PM
A somewhat funny story...

... A few years after it happened, and the "name" was made, I was trying to explain it to someone (a relative at some point in conversation)... I said; "...And then the Steelers made the Immaculate Conception...' ... My dad laughed, and said; "Yea, it probably was just that."

... It started the whole ball rolling for our history, as far as big games go... :wink:

NW Steeler
12-23-2009, 06:51 PM
I was only 4, still thought that I could fly, and hadn't had my black and gold blood transfusion yet!

But even then I knew that:

:ratsuck

calmkiller
12-23-2009, 08:42 PM
in 72......lets see my parents were 15 years old and Steeler fans.... and I was negative 11.

SidSmythe
12-23-2009, 09:04 PM
I was 4 weeks in the womb. Cute little booger I was

Djfan
12-23-2009, 09:05 PM
I was 8 also, but not yet a Steelers fan. In fact, I lived in San Diego, so I was loyal to on team.

I became a fan shortly after that, but can't tell you when exactly.

NKySteeler
12-23-2009, 09:33 PM
:lol: ... Lots of "young bucks", but as long as y'all remember this date (be it live, or via replay), that's all that matters....

.... "Cheers" all!.... Hope everyone has a "very merry" one, and a great new year!... :Beer

SteelerNation1
12-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Nice post NKY. I always have a mental circle around this date. The day that launched a dynasty. I was -4 years old by the way. But I've watched it so many times, it feels like I was the crazy fan patting Franco on his back during all the mayhem. :Beer

SteelCrazy
12-23-2009, 10:37 PM
I was 5 months old and drunk off my ass trying to find Raider fans to fight!

One of only a handful of items I wish I could add age on to myself for............................................... .....................................missed it

Wolfhound45
12-23-2009, 10:42 PM
Gotcha beat, I was 8.

I was 8 also, but not yet a Steelers fan. In fact, I lived in San Diego, so I was loyal to on team.

I became a fan shortly after that, but can't tell you when exactly.

Edged out both of you (barely). I was nine.

However, I have to admit, I also was not a Steelers fan then. Just an LSU fan. Was not until the season of Super Bowl X that I started following the Steelers.

MeetJoeGreene
12-23-2009, 10:46 PM
I was 8 as well.

I was in my grandparents living room playing with my cousins.

The game was on the radio (not on TV back then).

My father, grandfather and uncles were intently listening.. I was half-listening...

When the play happened, I can remember them just ERUPTING with cheers.

And my grandfather, who swore like a sailor, put together a string of cussin that was most impressive.

feltdizz
12-23-2009, 10:51 PM
I was fighting for the pole position in my dads balls... the big swim happened a few days later...I won!!!

stlrz d
12-23-2009, 11:07 PM
I was 5 and not yet a Steelers fan (living in Los Angeles). About a week later I saw the Steelers logo at my friend Adam's house (he got all NFL logo stuff for his room as his Christmas present), went home, told my dad I was a Steelers fan and have been one ever since.

My dad tried making me a Rams fan (bought me a Roman Gabriel t-shirt) and my mom tried to make me a Dolphins fan (bought me a hideously orange bathrobe with a Dolphins logo on it) but neither took. Just wasn't meant to be.

papillon
12-23-2009, 11:28 PM
December 23, 1972... The Immaculate Reception against the Raiders...

... Where were you?

I was sitting on the couch with my dad explaining how important this was...

I was at the game; a 14 year old with his best friend who was 15 sitting in the upper deck of the end zone that Franco ran into with the deflection. If you're familiar with TRS we were sitting in the yellow section on the back line of the end zone. When Franco ran into the end zone the ensuing chaos almost knocked us over the edge, that would have been ugly. Still have the ticket...wow, 37 years ago, unbelievable.

Okay, I finally read through the thread, there are way too many of you lying about your age to appear younger than you are. Come on, embrace your age, it's okay! :moon

Pappy

Iron Shiek
12-24-2009, 12:54 AM
feltdizz...outstanding explanation. Pap....excellent recollection.

Like many of you others, I was not close to being born, came about 7 years later. But like, sn1, that clip is like one of the most watched bits of video my eyes probably have seen in my lifetime.

And MJG, I hope I created that "living room erupting" scenario for my kids to remember when we beat the Colts in 2005 Season playoffs. Other than the fact that I sent them scattering for cover under the end table near tears, they enjoyed the ending sitting in my lap with me!

fordfixer
12-24-2009, 01:04 AM
I was 10 watching the game on t.v. at home in Wyoming

feltdizz
12-24-2009, 01:09 AM
I've told this story on Trib... My Dad was at the Music Bar downtown... from what he tells me the game was blacked out but they had a Ohio station showing the game. He bet on the Steelers and left in disappointment before the play. As he is walking down the street he hears cheers and people start throwing papers out the window... He jumps on a car hood as it rides down the street cause everyone is celebrating like it was a parade... Goes and collects his winnings and runs the streets blowing it for 2 or 3 days with my uncle...

sd steel
12-24-2009, 02:27 AM
I was 4 years old, and I can barely remember yesterday now, but I was living in Peters Township in a house next to Jon Kolb, and I remember listening to the radio with Dad, I also remember listening to the radio a couple of days later at Aunt Bev and Uncle Jims in Bethal Park when we heard Roberto Clemente died. Kind of strange the things you remember as a kid.

msp26505
12-24-2009, 08:04 PM
I was 8 as well.

I was in my grandparents living room playing with my cousins.

The game was on the radio (not on TV back then).

My father, grandfather and uncles were intently listening.. I was half-listening...

When the play happened, I can remember them just ERUPTING with cheers.

And my grandfather, who swore like a sailor, put together a string of cussin that was most impressive.

I would have rather listened to Jack Fleming call it than the NBC crew.

skyhawk
12-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Crap, some of you ARE old!

I was getting ready to celebrate my second Xmas. And I hate to say that living in Terre Haute at the time, I had yet to become a Steeler fan.

Jooser
12-24-2009, 10:36 PM
AH, the Jooser was still 3 months from being born yet. But, now I realize what all that jumping up and down and commotion was that day! :tt2