PDA

View Full Version : Just two other games to watch this weekend...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-23-2009, 10:16 AM
I believe we're going to win out.

But even if we do, we need some help.

Using costanza's link (bookmarked at the top of the forum page http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario ), and choosing "Yahoo Team Rankings" as the starting criteria, here is what needs to happen for us to get in (at the number 6 seed, obviously):

Week 16:
1. Denver has to lose to Philly.
2. Jags have to lose to NE*. I can't believe I have to root for those cheaters ...

Week 17:
1. Baltimore has to beat Oakland (?). That's all!

I don't quite understand how it's so simple, but for each of those two weeks, choosing the Steelers winning, I toggled the W/L/Tie for every other game an AFC team played in, and none of them changed our #6 seeding except the three games above. So ...

LET"S GO STEELERS!!

proudpittsburgher
12-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Other than taking care of our business, and I always have faith that we can do that, the scenarios are actually pretty likely that we can find ourselves in the playoffs. Not sure how you can lose five in a row in the manner we have and still have a good to decent shot, but dems the rules everyone is playing by.

papillon
12-23-2009, 10:28 AM

Using costanza's link (bookmarked at the top of the forum page http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario ), and choosing "Yahoo Team Rankings" as the criteria, here is what needs to happen for us to get in (at the number 6 seed, obviously):

Week 16:
Denver has to lose to Philly. That's all!

Week 17:

I don't quite understand how it's so simple, but for each of those two weeks, choosing the Steelers winning, I toggled the W/L/Tie for every other game an AFC team played in, and none of them changed our #6 seeding except the two games above. So ...

LET"S GO STEELERS!!

I think you missed something when using the playoff scenario generator. Every scenario I've heard is requiring the Jets, Jags and Broncos to lose. The Dolphins to win and it would be nice if Baltimore lost to Oakland in week 17. If Tennessee loses then we need Houston to lose otherwise they would have the tie-breaker on the Steelers. If Tennessee wins I believe they eliminate Houston.

I'm almost certain there's more to it than the Broncos and the Ravens. The Ravens winning can't be good either, I wouldn't think.

Pappy

proudpittsburgher
12-23-2009, 10:32 AM

Using costanza's link (bookmarked at the top of the forum page http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario ), and choosing "Yahoo Team Rankings" as the criteria, here is what needs to happen for us to get in (at the number 6 seed, obviously):

Week 16:

Week 17:

I don't quite understand how it's so simple, but for each of those two weeks, choosing the Steelers winning, I toggled the W/L/Tie for every other game an AFC team played in, and none of them changed our #6 seeding except the two games above. So ...

LET"S GO STEELERS!!

I think you missed something when using the playoff scenario generator. Every scenario I've heard is requiring the Jets, Jags and Broncos to lose. The Dolphins to win and it would be nice if Baltimore lost to Oakland in week 17. If Tennessee loses then we need Houston to lose otherwise they would have the tie-breaker on the Steelers. If Tennessee wins I believe they eliminate Houston.

I'm almost certain there's more to it than the Broncos and the Ravens. The Ravens winning can't be good either, I wouldn't think.

Pappy

Even with that, the Jets are playing indy, an dwhile they are really the only team which has a shot at knocking out Indy, I don't see it happening. I can see jacksonville beating New England, but I can also see them laying an egg as they have for just about every opther big game this season.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-23-2009, 10:40 AM

Week 16:

Week 17:

LET"S GO STEELERS!!

Pappy

Give it a go, Pappy, I wouldn't be surprised if I was pushing the wrong buttons, but I just tiried it again with the same results! If you put Steelers to win out, it says the Jets can win in Week 16 and we're still in. For week 17, if Baltimore WINS, it says we're in; if they lose to Oakland, somehow Denver gets in instead of us. Not saying it makes sense, but it's what the calculator spits out. I think you're right about Jags having to lose this week - operator error (original post revised)!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Games to Watch:
-Steelers beat Ravens
-Colts beat Jets
-Pats beat Jags
-Eagles beat Broncos
-Dolphins beat Texans

If this happens, we control our own destiny going down to Miami. That is all you could ask for. Even if that doesn't happen this weekend but the Steelers win, the Jags, Jets, & Broncos "HAVE TO" lose 1 of 2...And hope for the Titans & Texans to end up tied at 9-7 or the Texans to lose 1.

As long as the Steelers win...It goes to week 17 with us still in it.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Games to Watch:
-Steelers beat Ravens
-Colts beat Jets
-Pats beat Jags
-Eagles beat Broncos
-Dolphins beat Texans

If this happens, we control our own destiny going down to Miami. That is all you could ask for. Even if that doesn't happen this weekend but the Steelers win, the Jags, Jets, & Broncos "HAVE TO" lose 1 of 2...And hope for the Titans & Texans to end up tied at 9-7 or the Texans to lose 1.

As long as the Steelers win...It goes to week 17 with us still in it.

Nasty, this IS the best way to put it (not just my feelings, but the Yahoo calculator too).

:Bow :Cheers :Steel :tt2 :tt1

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Playoffs?
Here's the explanation from Post Game Heroes. Pretty simple - after we win out, the following teams must lose just 1 of their next two games: Jags, Texans, Jets, Denver.

GO STEELERS!!!

http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=8468
By Dagger | December 22, 2009

This 2009 version of the Steelers certainly doesn’t look anything remotely close to a playoff team but sitting at 7-7, there are a few scenarios in which they could find themselves in the postseason.

1. The Steelers must beat both Baltimore and Miami. Have to win both games. This is first and foremost and both of these games will be tough. Lets assume they win both games.

2. Jags, Texans, Jets, and Denver must all lose 1 game over the next 2 weeks.

Texans play @Miami and NE. Houston could easily lose 1 or 2 of these.

Jags play @NE and Cleveland. We need Jacksonville to lose this weekend. No way they get beaten by the Browns.

Denver plays @Philly and KC. Bronco’s won’t lose to the Chiefs so you better hope Philly kills them this weekend.

Jets play @Indy and Cincy. NYJ could easily lose 1 or 2 of these.

Scott Brown at the Trib gives us a scenario in which the Steelers might actually control their own destiny heading into their game vs Miami:

For that to happen, the Jets, Jaguars, Broncos and Texans have to lose this Sunday; all are underdogs in those games.

If such a scenario transpires, the Jets, Jaguars and Texans could finish no better than 8-8 and the Broncos would do no better than 9-7.

If the Steelers win out, the Dolphins would finish 8-8 at best, and the Ravens would finish no better than 9-7.

One plausible scenario given the remaining schedules of the teams in playoff contention would be the Steelers, Ravens and Broncos all finishing 9-7 and vying for the two AFC wild-card berths.

Under NFL guidelines for wild-card tiebreakers, the Ravens would eliminate the Steelers based on a better division record and get the No. 5 seed over the Broncos since they beat Denver earlier this season.

The final spot in the playoffs would come down to the Steelers and Broncos, and the defending Super Bowl champions would get in based on their 28-10 win Nov. 9 in Denver.

If the Titans would happen to win their remaining two games — they play host to red-hot San Diego on Christmas — and join the Steelers, Ravens and Broncos at 9-7, the Ravens and Steelers would still get the No. 5 and No. 6 seeds. The Steelers would get in because they have beaten the Broncos and Titans this season.

papillon
12-23-2009, 11:44 PM
Whatever the Steelers need to happen may or may not happen, but I know one thing already, it's only Wednesday night and I am already amped for this weekend's football games. Lets play some football already!

Pappy