PDA

View Full Version : Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's Take

fordfixer
12-23-2009, 01:34 AM
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's Take

By The Tribune-Review Wednesday, December 23, 2009
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 59018.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_659018.html)

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin weighs in on a a number of issues regarding his team going into this weekend's game.

On receiving any feedback regarding his decision to go for a controversial onside kick against Green Bay:

"I don't look for feedback. I just try to win football games. My 8-year-old asked me what I was thinking. ... I told him to be quiet."

On continuing his recent plan to make lineup changes in the secondary:

"We're analyzing that as we put together this plan. Each week, the matchup that you're given dictates a lot of what you do. A week ago, we were playing Green Bay. Their signature is multiple wide receiver sets. Baltimore likes to bring in an extra offensive lineman or tight end and fullback. A lot of the decisions that we make in terms of the people that we utilize will be based on the nature of the matchups and what we anticipate them doing."

On running back Rashard Mendenhall playing a bigger role in the passing game:

"I think that's what I envisioned a few weeks ago when I said that his role would be expanding. With each day this guy gains confidence, and really, we gain confidence in what he's capable of. He can catch the football. He's been able to do that since the day he walked in here. He's really becoming a guy that can help us in all areas."

On players second-guessing coaching strategy during the five-game losing streak:

"There's an element to that, but I think that it's constructive. It wouldn't be sharp not to deeply analyze what you're doing and how you're doing it when you're in the midst of failure. Is it manifesting itself in the form of mental weakness? No. It's being committed to turn over whatever stones necessary to win football games."