PDA

View Full Version : Compared to some, Skippy's not too horrible ...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-22-2009, 08:08 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/23/sport ... l?_r=1&hpw (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/23/sports/football/23kickers.html?_r=1&hpw)

... Dallas just let their kicker (Nick Folk) go, who had missed 7 of his last 11. THings are so bad they hired the guy who the Redskins had just fired for suckiness! (Shawn Suisham, who actually kicked for the Steelers in 2005, apparently). Folk didn't always suck, he actually made the pro-bowl a few years back.

... The Jets missed THREE FGs this past weekend.

... Tampa Bay is on their THIRD FG kicker of the year.

... GB's kicker, Mason Crosby, missed a FG from within the 43 yard line for FOUR straight games before they lost to us this past weekend (and didn't he miss one in our game also?).

... The Ravens are on their 2nd kicker of the year.

And overall, FG percentage has dropped a lot this year compared to last.

So, yeah, we'd like a kicker that didn't lose games for us, and can tackle better. But these guys don't grow on trees, so it's not a gimmee that we'll find someone better. And compared to many, Skippy's not all that bad. Now the shallow kickoffs, that's a different story. Maybe we should just train him to kick it out of bounds, so the other team starts at the 40, instead of risking a run-back for 6 points :stirpot :shock: :twisted:

I just had this horrible thought - if a lot of kickers are messing up, making it a kicker's market next year, we may be forced to pay MORE for Skippy than he's making now if we want to keep him.

Ouchh.

RuthlessBurgher
12-23-2009, 11:22 AM
... GB's kicker, Mason Crosby, missed a FG from within the 43 yard line for FOUR straight games before they lost to us this past weekend (and didn't he miss one in our game also?).

Yes, Crosby was 0-1 in the game missing from 34 yards out.

Reed was 3-3 in the game, making from 37, 34, and 43.

In a one-point game, the difference in FG kickers was vital.

ikestops85
12-23-2009, 11:47 AM
I got to give Chris Berman props. When going over the Cowgirl highlights he came out with one of his classic names:

Nick "What The" Folk

It had me rolling :lol: :lol:

frankthetank1
12-23-2009, 11:55 AM
skippy is automatic in the field goal department and he always has been minus the bears game. kickoffs are his biggest problems though which i think has some to do with the awful kickoff coverage. every kick is low and at best travels to the 10 yard line. we need someone else to kick the ball off. the problem is they would have to use another roster spot just to kick the ball off unless we get a kicker who can do both

SteelAbility
12-23-2009, 01:41 PM
There are only two problems with Reid, kickoff distance and tackling. Unfortunately both problems are emphasized even more with our miserable STs coverage.

On a positive note, I hear his onside kick technique is almost perfect. ;)

RuthlessBurgher
12-23-2009, 02:03 PM
There are only two problems with Reid, kickoff distance and tackling. Unfortunately both problems are emphasized even more with our miserable STs coverage.

Reed should have tackled Ike Taylor when he saw him trying to get the ball before it crossed the 40 yard line. :wink:

Shoe
12-23-2009, 02:22 PM
You're right SanAntonio... he is pretty dependable as a placekicker. BUT.

(Notice it's a big "but"...)

His kickoffs are so woeful that it probably negates any positives he gives us with dependable placekicking. I think he's had ONE touchback this year; consistently he probably kicks it as short as any kicker in the league. It gives the returning team a big head start in their return, and we've seen the results--if not a return to the house; consistent good field position. That may not manifest itself every single time, but over the long-term it definitely costs us points.

Unless they can resolve that (e.g. keep a separate kicker to kick-off, which I hate... get Sepulveda to take on kick-off duties), I'm not with keeping this numbnuts (taking into account his stupid off-field behavior too).

RuthlessBurgher
12-23-2009, 02:27 PM
You're right SanAntonio... he is pretty dependable as a placekicker. BUT.

(Notice it's a big "but"...)

His kickoffs are so woeful that it probably negates any positives he gives us with dependable placekicking. I think he's had ONE touchback this year; consistently he probably kicks it as short as any kicker in the league. It gives the returning team a big head start in their return, and we've seen the results--if not a return to the house; consistent good field position. That may not manifest itself every single time, but over the long-term it definitely costs us points.

Unless they can resolve that (e.g. keep a separate kicker to kick-off, which I hate... get Sepulveda to take on kick-off duties), I'm not with keeping this numbnuts (taking into account his stupid off-field behavior too).

You call that a big BUT???

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nbwMvYIQi9Y/SXQmLKzd8DI/AAAAAAAADEE/8-NWcyXivUU/s400/CaseyHampton.jpg

:lol:

SteelerNation1
12-23-2009, 02:43 PM
You can always franchise him. Low $

SteelAbility
12-23-2009, 02:54 PM

Reed should have tackled Ike Taylor when he saw him trying to get the ball before it crossed the 40 yard line. :wink:

I don't think Reed would be capable of that even if he was in position. Now, he could maybe get a great two-hand touch on him. That's a whole different story. :P

ramblinjim
12-23-2009, 05:02 PM
find a guy that can kick it out of the end zone and drop Logan.

We had a roster spot for Logan, why not a roster spot for someone that can boot the ball through the end zone.