PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the onside kick was planned during the week ...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-22-2009, 07:39 PM
... or an in-game splash of brilliant coaching?

I wonder if we'll ever know. Either way, Coach T. gets huge kudos.

Like the Guinness commercials say, Tomlin's decision was BRILLIANT!

Shoe
12-22-2009, 09:36 PM
I think he's had a lot of time to noodle over the decision, because he probably realized that we can't hold any lead because of our porous secondary (i.e. we can get leads consistently with our offense--but when teams are in must-throw-to-catch-up scenarios, that is when we are at our most vulnerable).

papillon
12-22-2009, 10:30 PM
I believe that if the opportunity presented itself he was prepared to make that decision and he did. He thought about it, put it in the game plan and when the opportunity arose he used it. I don't believe anyone on the Steeler sideline was shocked at the decision.

Pappy

SteelAbility
12-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Had to have been one of several hypothetical scenarios considered before the game. "I am up X points with Y minutes to go and my D blows. What do I do?" This same scenario has happened already 5 times this year and up until then the D was batting 0 for 5.

proudpittsburgher
12-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Had to have been one of several hypothetical scenarios considered before the game. "I am up X points with Y minutes to go and my D blows. What do I do?" This same scenario has happened already 5 times this year and up until then the D was batting 0 for 5.

He said what I was gonna . . . This situation that was brewing in the GB game had played out five other times this season. It was like groundhog day. I have been waiting on the Defense to pull out a big play all season, and it has never happened. We can sit back and continue to wait, or we can do soemthing about it. Still a brilliant call.

RuthlessBurgher
12-23-2009, 01:37 PM

Actually, it was 2 for 7. Minnesota was driving in the 4th, but we got big play return TD's from Woodley and Fox. Detroit was driving in the 4th, but we got 3 sacks in a row.

papillon
12-23-2009, 02:13 PM

Actually, it was 2 for 7. Minnesota was driving in the 4th, but we got big play return TD's from Woodley and Fox. Detroit was driving in the 4th, but we got 3 sacks in a row.

Still a net -5 regardless of how you slice it...just sayin :P

Pappy