PDA

View Full Version : Onside Kick Decision with Green Bay (New Strategies)

SteelAbility
12-22-2009, 03:54 PM
I just got to thinking about this. This post is for OCD strategy people only. :P

What if the same situation arises in our next game with the Ravens, up 2 with about 4 minutes to play and we have to kick off. Our D is doing the normal "Ole" for the matador.

What then? Onside kick or go deep? Other?

We've used up our discount (of risk) coupon, so the problem is a bit more difficult the 2nd time around. I think it's worthy of consideration though, given the multiple times we been in similar situations in the 4thQ this year.

BDESteel
12-22-2009, 04:20 PM
You're right. We won't be surprising anyone with an onside kick in the fourth qtr. so the strategy would be like many teams did to the Patriots when they were blowing people out yearssss ago. Score as fast and often as possible, take the risks early and hope to put the game away by halftime.

I loved the play action pass as our first play of the game against GB. Hard to believe Arians thought that up. We can get away with that again, get an early score and pull a squib kick in the first qtr. Who'd see that coming?

MeetJoeGreene
12-22-2009, 04:21 PM
just don't kick it to Ike's side... kick it near somebody that can count to 10

SteelCrazy
12-22-2009, 04:26 PM
just don't kick it to Ike's side... kick it near somebody that can count to 10

That ticked me off so bad I wanted to kick Ike 10 yards. There was no threat of any GB player recovering that ball.

ikestops85
12-22-2009, 04:42 PM
I just got to thinking about this. This post is for OCD strategy people only. :P

What if the same situation arises in our next game with the Ravens, up 2 with about 4 minutes to play and we have to kick off. Our D is doing the normal "Ole" for the matador.

We've used up our discount (of risk) coupon, so the problem is a bit more difficult the 2nd time around. I think it's worthy of consideration though, given the multiple times we been in similar situations in the 4thQ this year.

Kick it deep and let them return it for a TD. We are pretty good at that play. :HeadBanger

BDESteel
12-22-2009, 04:59 PM

Kick it deep and let them return it for a TD. We are pretty good at that play. :HeadBanger
The problem with that is, we would have left them about one minute to come back and score and then we'd back in the same situation all over again. :lol:

flippy
12-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Maybe we could start trying to go for it on 4th downs instead of punting too.

SteelAbility
12-23-2009, 12:01 AM
After thinking about it a bit, given the same situation (up 2 with roughly 4 minutes and the D hasn't proven that it can put up a stop), I would still do the onside kick. Now it comes down to what scheme and why. I may even instruct the players to tackle with a frivolous face mask in the event that we don't recover to put the ball inside the 30 and force a short offensive series. We've lost now 5 games because the D couldn't stop a drive in the 4thQ.

SteelAbility
12-23-2009, 12:06 AM
Maybe we could start trying to go for it on 4th downs instead of punting too.

I am absolutely a proponent of going for it on 4th down inside the other team's 10 yard line in regular situations (game outcome not decidable by a FG or where a FG puts you up 3 scores or 2 scores very late in the game). I think it's a total statistical win that benefits you more than it hurts you over a large sample set of attempts. The benefit is even greater for teams with poor STs units, like the Steelers as the yards and/or TDs given up on the kickoff almost immediately offset the paltry 3 points from the FG.

Other than that, I think a couple of packages could be worked up using Logan at WR for 4th and 3 or less situations past our own, say, about 45 yard line.

There is immense benefit to converting 4th in those situations. It tires out their D and demoralizes them.

Also, if you show that you are totally willing to do that a couple of times, you can affect the psyche and play of the D. Suddenly on 3rd and 4, it's in their minds that they have to prevent 4 yards in two plays, not the normal one that they are used to. It can be very demoralizing. If you have a number of plays that, when run, present two to three options for the QB/runner, you can really wear out a D running those plays on 3rd and 4th down, especially if you run no-huddle.