PDA

View Full Version : Troy to get MRI on knee today

SteelCrazy
12-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Does this mean they are looking to play him against Baltimore, or does it mean it's just time to get a check up? I got a text with the info.....

Steelgal
12-22-2009, 03:40 PM
I read on another board that Tomlin said in his press conference depending on how the MRI comes back, Troy has a shot of playing this week.

SteelCrazy
12-22-2009, 04:10 PM
I read on another board that Tomlin said in his press conference depending on how the MRI comes back, Troy has a shot of playing this week.

I hope so, because we NEED him!

Oviedo
12-22-2009, 06:06 PM
I hope he doesn't play. Need him at 100% and beyond this next game.

pick6
12-22-2009, 06:49 PM
i agree with oviedo. lets keep him on ice. i dont think he will be 100% anyway but i guess thats what an mri is for. but still id let him sit

BURGH86STEEL
12-22-2009, 07:27 PM
I think Troy will need surgery on that knee.

SteelCrazy
12-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Troy needs to play or having him 100% in the last game will not make any difference.

Shoe
12-22-2009, 08:04 PM
I really don't understand this sentiment of "hoping he doesn't play"?

I know I've been on this topic quite a bit, but it just baffles me as to why people don't want him to play? What if the MRI comes out good to go? Still sit him?

We actually have a shot at this... we beat Baltimore, and maybe a couple more things go our way, and we could be looking squarely at a playoff game next week in Miami! THAT IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT--PLAYOFFS!

Saving players for next year is bogus thinking IMO. Anything could happen (i.e. injuries to other stars) that could kill future seasons. e.g. What if something happened next year where that season becomes a total loss... but we have Polamalu--we will have lost that year, PLUS this year, since we kept Polamalu on ice when he could have helped us to the playoffs.

Then in '11, say we have a great year, and some boneheaded ref call costs us that season. We just missed 3 years now. '12 we finally have all the pieces in place, but... Troy has gotten a little older (slower), Ben older... and we lose in the playoffs.

Now it's '13 and we've sorta missed that window (with Troy, Ben, Hines, etc.) You can't throw away seasons, when you have a decent shot at it, cuz you "want to save someone for the future". You don't know what the future holds. This is football; it is virtually impossible to be in the 15th week of the season anyway.

We have a shot at this; IF HE IS ABLE TO PLAY, he should play. Not sit.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Troy needs to play or having him 100% in the last game will not make any difference.

If you're saying there's no way we can win without Troy against the Ravens this week, I'm not sure if I agree or not.

We beat GB without him, so I guess we can beat The Felons without him. If he plays and gets hurt for the rest of the year ... hey, what can you do. He'll get surgery or something, we'll regroup for next year. But we'll never wonder "what if".

At least that's what I told Coach T. this morning. :Cheers

NorthCoast
12-22-2009, 08:33 PM
I really don't understand this sentiment of "hoping he doesn't play"?

I know I've been on this topic quite a bit, but it just baffles me as to why people don't want him to play? What if the MRI comes out good to go? Still sit him?

We actually have a shot at this... we beat Baltimore, and maybe a couple more things go our way, and we could be looking squarely at a playoff game next week in Miami! THAT IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT--PLAYOFFS!

Saving players for next year is bogus thinking IMO. Anything could happen (i.e. injuries to other stars) that could kill future seasons. e.g. What if something happened next year where that season becomes a total loss... but we have Polamalu--we will have lost that year, PLUS this year, since we kept Polamalu on ice when he could have helped us to the playoffs.

Then in '11, say we have a great year, and some boneheaded ref call costs us that season. We just missed 3 years now. '12 we finally have all the pieces in place, but... Troy has gotten a little older (slower), Ben older... and we lose in the playoffs.

Now it's '13 and we've sorta missed that window (with Troy, Ben, Hines, etc.) You can't throw away seasons, when you have a decent shot at it, cuz you "want to save someone for the future". You don't know what the future holds. This is football; it is virtually impossible to be in the 15th week of the season anyway.

We have a shot at this; IF HE IS ABLE TO PLAY, he should play. Not sit.

Because some of us are thinking beyond the next game. Playing on a weakened knee with his style of play would not take a lot to really blow it out, for example an ACL. In that case he is done for this season and could affect early NEXT season. Some players are not 'normal' until a full year of rehab is complete. Flacco is not Rodgers, and they don't have the WR corp of GB. There is no reason why we should not be able to cover the Ravens receivers. And honestly if we can't without Troy then we should be staying home for the playoffs anyway because there will be some very dangerous passing teams in the post-season who will end up making us look very silly. MRIs don't always tell the whole story and don't you think if Troy felt he was capable of playing he would do it?

Shoe
12-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Because some of us are thinking beyond the next game. Playing on a weakened knee with his style of play would not take a lot to really blow it out, for example an ACL. In that case he is done for this season and could affect early NEXT season. Some players are not 'normal' until a full year of rehab is complete. Flacco is not Rodgers, and they don't have the WR corp of GB. There is no reason why we should not be able to cover the Ravens receivers. And honestly if we can't without Troy then we should be staying home for the playoffs anyway because there will be some very dangerous passing teams in the post-season who will end up making us look very silly. MRIs don't always tell the whole story and don't you think if Troy felt he was capable of playing he would do it?

Hey, I'm not discounting the future either. I never advocated him playing on an obviously damaged body part. But you can't go and treat certain players like china dolls (so delicate that you keep him in a box until we "really" need him or he is completely healthy--who is ever completely healthy at this point in the season anyway?) You don't think that Hines Ward, annually playing through his injuries, has taken some games off his career (and some MPH off his fastball so to speak) because of all his playing through injuries (rather than resting)? If he had sat some of those games, who knows what we would have won/not won?

Or take Ronnie Lott (speaking of Safeties). You don't think him playing through his injuries (ravaged knees) took a toll on his overall effectiveness long-term?

Nothing is promised. All you can do is try to take advantage of opportunities when they are in front of you. (Don't you think Emmitt could've negatively affected his career that one game against the Giants when he played with a blown out shoulder?)

If we "save" him for next year, and we happen to miss the playoffs next year because of some circumstance... you just spent two more years, off Troy's prime (not to mention
Roethlisberger's) ...when in '08, we had a shot at it again but chose to save him for a rainy day..

It's rainy now. We need him. If he is healthy (or near healthy), he should (at least try) and play.

Lebsteel
12-22-2009, 09:55 PM

Hey, I'm not discounting the future either. I never advocated him playing on an obviously damaged body part. But you can't go and treat certain players like china dolls (so delicate that you keep him in a box until we "really" need him or he is completely healthy--who is ever completely healthy at this point in the season anyway?) You don't think that Hines Ward, annually playing through his injuries, has taken some games off his career (and some MPH off his fastball so to speak) because of all his playing through injuries (rather than resting)? If he had sat some of those games, who knows what we would have won/not won?

Or take Ronnie Lott (speaking of Safeties). You don't think him playing through his injuries (ravaged knees) took a toll on his overall effectiveness long-term?

Nothing is promised. All you can do is try to take advantage of opportunities when they are in front of you. (Don't you think Emmitt could've negatively affected his career that one game against the Giants when he played with a blown out shoulder?)

If we "save" him for next year, and we happen to miss the playoffs next year because of some circumstance... you just spent two more years, off Troy's prime (not to mention
Roethlisberger's) ...when in '08, we had a shot at it again but chose to save him for a rainy day..

It's rainy now. We need him. If he is healthy (or near healthy), he should (at least try) and play.

Preach it, Shoe. Troy is not fragile, though he may seem to be. If he is cleared to play, then he needs to be out there just like everyone else should.

Starlifter
12-22-2009, 11:24 PM
i'm no expert on knees or any other injury but I guess the question is - how do you know when it's completely healed? Do they start with a baseline of motion and if you can do 80% that's the benchmark for playing? I don't know. What if Troy is recovered enough to play but is clearly not able to play at the level when completely healthy? I think that is probably the dilemma. Do we play Troy at less than 100% or do we wait? Do we risk damaging a weak knee for this season and potentially impact next season?

i just hope we have good doctors that make the right call.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-23-2009, 01:01 AM
If the doctors who make this call can't be trusted, the team needs to get different doctors...