PDA

View Full Version : The onside was a smart decision...

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
12-22-2009, 02:54 PM
The way I see it Tomlin was trying to do two things by going onside.

1). Recognizing the deficiencies in his defense, he basically cut the field in half to preserve time for his offense.

2). Challenge the defense to make a play.

Of course the defense could not make a play so what the onside failure actually did was to provide the team with a CHANCE to win. Imagine if the Packers had 20-30 more yards to work with, they would have run the clock to 3 seconds and kicked the game winner. In my opinion this was a very cerebral and realistic call by the Coach Tomlin.

Just my 2 cents as a Tomlin apologist :stirpot ...

SteelAbility
12-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Even an over-paid janitor could have figured that out. :P

All joking aside, I liked the call on many levels. It actually had some strategy to it. It was also a silent message to the D ... START PLAYING D and stop chasing the other O around the field. It was a way of calling out the D without saying it in words and with an "out" in the event that someone forced him to say something about it (like in a press conference).

Shoe
12-22-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm not gonna lie; I was dumbfounded by the call when it happened. After I realized what he was doing though, I think it is a big feather in Tomlin's cap.

ikestops85
12-22-2009, 04:58 PM
I thought it was a great decision. What they needed to do first was teach ALL the players how to count to 10. Apparently one guy missed that class. :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
12-22-2009, 05:06 PM
I thought it was a great decision. What they needed to do first was teach ALL the players how to count to 10. Apparently one guy missed that class. :lol:

Perhaps Ike is missing a finger or two and therefore cannot count that high. Missing fingers could also explain why he can't catch either. The only time we see his hands is when he is facing them in front of his face, and they are moving too fast to count how many fingers there are. :wink:

Discipline of Steel
12-22-2009, 07:28 PM
This is a good post as I can see it argued many different ways after the fact. My impression is that he realized it was an up and down the field game so he wanted to have the last possession. If he recovers the kick, he runs the game out. If he fails, GB scores quickly instead of using up all the time on the clock and Ben gets his chance to make the last play of the game.

BrownSteel
12-22-2009, 07:59 PM
This is vintage Tomlin. He wasn't so obvious about it in the Super Bowl, but he said it was good that the Cardinals scored quickly to take the lead which essentially gave us the ball last, and what happened on Sunday is exactly what happened in February. I too was upset with the call at first, but upon his explanation, it made sense. Memo to Ike, even kids in Pop Warner know that the football has to travel 10 yards before you can recover it.

NW Steeler
12-22-2009, 08:03 PM
I was completely shocked when they kicked it as it was so "un-steelerlike". Had they lost the game, there would have been a lot of people screaming. The talking heads on the national radio programs seem to be questioning it. Had the Steelers recovered the kick, everyone would be talking about what a great decision it was. Kind of the way it goes. Luckily for us, everything turned out.

:ratsuck

Mister Pittsburgh
12-22-2009, 08:15 PM
I like the call. All the media up in arms about it like he is a moron are morons themselves. To them it would have made more sense to kick it deep so Green Bay could eat up all the clock on their way to scoring like they had done all day. Our secondary couldn't cover Steven Hawkings going out for passes, and William Gay would have missed the tackle after the catch.

RuthlessBurgher
12-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Our secondary couldn't cover Steven Hawkings going out for passes, and William Gay would have missed the tackle after the catch.

You try tackling an electric wheelchair. It's not easy!

:lol:

Iron Shiek
12-23-2009, 01:38 PM
I was completely shocked when they kicked it as it was so "un-steelerlike". Had they lost the game, there would have been a lot of people screaming. The talking heads on the national radio programs seem to be questioning it. Had the Steelers recovered the kick, everyone would be talking about what a great decision it was. Kind of the way it goes. Luckily for us, everything turned out.

:ratsuck

What do you mean!? I ran into Troy Aikman and Joe Buck just now, and they are still pi$$ing and moaning about what a dumb a$$ call it was and how stupid Tomlin is, and that he is an overpaid janitor posing as an NFL head coach.

Gosh, they were just brutal to listen to.

cruzer8
12-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Our secondary couldn't cover Steven Hawkings going out for passes, and William Gay would have missed the tackle after the catch.

The key is to cut off the wind pipe. If he can't breathe he can't move the chair.

Sitting duck.

Discipline of Steel
12-24-2009, 08:41 AM

Yeah it is!! Two words.................clothes line. But the NFL has made up rules against playing rough so people like Steven Hawking can have an opportunity to compete in the NFL.

RuthlessBurgher
12-24-2009, 11:23 AM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":gkwmt5sf]Our secondary couldn't cover Steven Hawkings going out for passes, and William Gay would have missed the tackle after the catch.

Yeah it is!! Two words.................clothes line. But the NFL has made up rules against playing rough so people like Steven Hawking can have an opportunity to compete in the NFL.[/quote:gkwmt5sf]

Murderball II: Steven Hawking's Revenge :lol:

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/e/f/8/ef845a48bfb057c6e60f3a184ca1e577.jpg

Don't try to horsecollar a guy in a wheelchair or you might get crushed underneath it.