PDA

View Full Version : Should Townsend start in place of Gay?

Lebsteel
12-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Anybody else thinking that Deshea could do a better job than Gay is right now? He may be getting old, but maybe since he has pretty much rested all year, he would have enough left in his tank for the last two games?

Also, could Mundy do any worse than Carter at SS? I think he would at least be able to make some of those tackles that Carter keeps whiffing on....

flippy
12-22-2009, 12:53 PM
I thought he would have been starting already if this was gonna happen.

redundantman
12-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Hey! It just occurred to me that this fellow's last name is the same as a titillating colloquial slur! We could totally make fun of him based on his last name! Did anyone else notice this?

hehe ... "Townsend"! Like say, "You are so TOWNSEND!" and he would be all embarrassed and stuff. That would rule.

/got nuthin

RuthlessBurgher
12-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Hey! It just occurred to me that this fellow's last name is the same as a titillating colloquial slur! We could totally make fun of him based on his last name! Did anyone else notice this?

hehe ... "Townsend"! Like say, "You are so TOWNSEND!" and he would be all embarrassed and stuff. That would rule.

/got nuthin

This post was Gay. :P

Or maybe it was Townsend. I'm confused. :lol:

SteelHead
12-22-2009, 01:30 PM
We gotta face facts here. We're just too thin talent wise in the secondary right now. I don't think any combination of players makes much difference at this point.

Ike - Still an extremely physically gifted corner but seems to have one good year then a horrible one. Realistically speaking how much longer can we expect him to be in a Steeler uniform , 2 maybe 3 more years max ?

Gay - Either the coaching staff made a mistake on him or he's just playing well below what he's capable of. Jury is still out , guy is very young and green football wise. Let's hope he picks it up next year , if not he's what , at best a nickel guy ?

Deshea - He's done. Been rock solid for us for a while now but his physical skills are seriously deteriorated.

Burnett - Who knows what the future can hold for the kid but he's certainly not making any plays with the opportunities he's been given so far.

Lewis - We'll now a lot more next year but it's not saying a whole lot that on a team with seemingly very little depth in the secondary he can't dress on game day.

Madison - Adds absolutely nothing to our secondary. Special teamer.

Troy - All world. Nuff said. (All I want for Christmas is a healthy Troy P ! )

Clark - Really getting exposed this year when all the other working parts on our defense aren't producing like last year. Big Hitter , great heart , really love the guy actually but he needs troy on the other side to get the most out of his skill set.

Ty - Toast. So friggin slow I can hardly believe it. Get's his nose in on running plays nicely but has no business covering anyone in the secondary.

Mundy - UFA. Underwhelming physically but from what I've read the kid is really bright.

So yeah , wow.....I knew it was a bad situation but typing it all out like this kinda made me realize just how devoid of talent we are in the secondary. It's obvious the coaching staff and FO knew this before this season as evidenced by the fact that we drafted 2 cb's but I think they felt like they had more time to coach those guys up before they seriously contributed when infact we don't have that luxury because the starters are stinking up the joint as well. Sheesh........Merry Christmas DB's.

papillon
12-22-2009, 01:40 PM
How about Deshea at SS and leave the rest alone? Use Burnett in Deshae's place in the niclel and dime. Or maybe, Clark at SS and Deshea as FS, I don't know about switching two guys this late in the season, but, the Steelers need a shakeup back there.

H3ll, Timmons couldn't do any worse than Carter, could he?

Pappy

Lebsteel
12-22-2009, 01:43 PM
How about Deshea at SS and leave the rest alone? Use Burnett in Deshae's place in the niclel and dime. Or maybe, Clark at SS and Deshea as FS, I don't know about switching two guys this late in the season, but, the Steelers need a shakeup back there.

H3ll, Timmons couldn't do any worse than Carter, could he?

Pappy

Timmons at SS and then Fox replaces Timmons at ILB. Yea, it couldn't be much worse than Carter. I think Timmons would be much quicker and able to make tackles.

Shoe
12-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Timmons at SS and then Fox replaces Timmons at ILB. Yea, it couldn't be much worse than Carter. I think Timmons would be much quicker and able to make tackles.

I was just gonna throw out the same thing. Not to say it's a definite upgrade, cuz moving positions in this short-term would be problematic for Timmons surely.

Deshea is toast; he would probably be worse than Gay if you threw him out there right now. The only thing Deshea could bring is his knowledge of coverages--I don't think that's Gay's problem. I think Gay's problem is also Deshea's problem right now (lack of physical ability). The way he plays his coverage is a concession to his lack of speed/quick/strength/size--take your pick. With Deshea, it's even worse.

Tomlin has shown that he is willing consider ALL options (e.g. the onside kick), even if it's totally "out there." So putting a BIG guy back there would be interesting at the very least. Run support would be great! But what would it say about Mundy, Deshea... that they'd stick a LB in before them?

MeetJoeGreene
12-22-2009, 02:09 PM

/got nuthin

This post was Gay. :P

Or maybe it was Townsend. I'm confused. :lol:

Townsend Pride!!!

RuthlessBurgher
12-22-2009, 02:11 PM
I will only use the traditional definition of Townsend, meaning "happy" :lol:

SteelAbility
12-22-2009, 03:36 PM
We gotta face facts here. We're just too thin talent wise in the secondary right now. I don't think any combination of players makes much difference at this point.

Ike - Still an extremely physically gifted corner but seems to have one good year then a horrible one. Realistically speaking how much longer can we expect him to be in a Steeler uniform , 2 maybe 3 more years max ?

Gay - Either the coaching staff made a mistake on him or he's just playing well below what he's capable of. Jury is still out , guy is very young and green football wise. Let's hope he picks it up next year , if not he's what , at best a nickel guy ?

Deshea - He's done. Been rock solid for us for a while now but his physical skills are seriously deteriorated.

Burnett - Who knows what the future can hold for the kid but he's certainly not making any plays with the opportunities he's been given so far.

Lewis - We'll now a lot more next year but it's not saying a whole lot that on a team with seemingly very little depth in the secondary he can't dress on game day.

Clark - Really getting exposed this year when all the other working parts on our defense aren't producing like last year. Big Hitter , great heart , really love the guy actually but he needs troy on the other side to get the most out of his skill set.

Ty - Toast. So friggin slow I can hardly believe it. Get's his nose in on running plays nicely but has no business covering anyone in the secondary.

Mundy - UFA. Underwhelming physically but from what I've read the kid is really bright.

So yeah , wow.....I knew it was a bad situation but typing it all out like this kinda made me realize just how devoid of talent we are in the secondary. It's obvious the coaching staff and FO knew this before this season as evidenced by the fact that we drafted 2 cb's but I think they felt like they had more time to coach those guys up before they seriously contributed when infact we don't have that luxury because the starters are stinking up the joint as well. Sheesh........Merry Christmas DB's.

Clark is more of a big-hitter, head-hunter, blow-you-up kind of a guy than a corner. This goes back to Troy. With Troy in there, we can make the most of Clark's hard-hitting. Without Troy, he's exposed.

SteelAbility
12-22-2009, 03:37 PM
I think we should start Tomlin in place of Gay next year, cutting Gay. Couldn't be much worse and we'd save the cap space. ;)

SteelHead
12-22-2009, 05:03 PM

Clark is more of a big-hitter, head-hunter, blow-you-up kind of a guy than a corner. This goes back to Troy. With Troy in there, we can make the most of Clark's hard-hitting. Without Troy, he's exposed.

I listed ALL of the secondary , not just corners. Not sure if you were trying to disagree with my assessment but I think we said almost the exact same thing. :?

SteelHead
12-22-2009, 05:05 PM
Forgot to mention this.....

I would of loved to of still had A. Smith on the roster considering how many games Troy has missed this year. Despite his faults , I have no doubt he would of produced better then Ty Carter this year.

I do think we gave up on that guy to early.

Shoe
12-22-2009, 05:58 PM

But to be sorta fair, if Polamalu and Carter had to play back there (I know, both are SS's... but let's say you had a Carter-like FS). You would see Polamalu chasing a lot of plays (as you see Clark doing); you would see Polamalu avoided (thereby making him seem less effective); and many concessions being made to hide Carter's weaknesses (Clark cannot be near as aggressive, both by design and by personal playing style) because he knows that the other man in the "last line of defense" is so deficient.

TallyStiller
12-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Have there been ANY Anthony Smith sightings in Green Bay? If he isn't on the field there, why would he be here? Deshea has been our safety blanket in the secondary for years... it seems like we've been trying to find his replacement since the Cowher era, but still haven't done it.

The Steelers don't often do it, but I see one or more mid level free agents being plugged in to try to stop the gaps in this unit this offseason. The rest of the team is ready to win now. Gotta take advantage of Smitty, Harrison, and Troy while they're here. Maybe a ringless vet can be lured for under market at corner? Mundy is the FS in waiting - FS is defensive QB, and you can't bring somebody in to play there - you gotta groom them.

stlrz d
12-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Have there been ANY Anthony Smith sightings in Green Bay? If he isn't on the field there, why would he be here? Deshea has been our safety blanket in the secondary for years... it seems like we've been trying to find his replacement since the Cowher era, but still haven't done it.

The Steelers don't often do it, but I see one or more mid level free agents being plugged in to try to stop the gaps in this unit this offseason. The rest of the team is ready to win now. Gotta take advantage of Smitty, Harrison, and Troy while they're here. Maybe a ringless vet can be lured for under market at corner? Mundy is the FS in waiting - FS is defensive QB, and you can't bring somebody in to play there - you gotta groom them.

The Packers cut Smith awhile ago. I'm watching him in a Jags uniform right now (on NFLN) trying to cover Dallas Clark. It isn't going well for Smith.