PDA

View Full Version : Steelers to Sign WR Galloway

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-22-2009, 11:47 AM
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09356/102 ... z0aQsawfI1 (http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09356/1022801-100.stm#ixzz0aQsawfI1)

Steelers likely to sign receiver Galloway
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers have brought in veteran wide receiver Joey Galloway and will likely sign him to their 53-man roster today as a replacement for Limas Sweed.

Galloway, 38, was at the Steelers offices this morning because Sweed, a No. 3 draft choice in 2008, has been placed on the reserve/non-football illness list, meaning he cannot play the rest of the season.

This isn't the first time the Steelers considered signing Galloway, the No. 1 draft choice of the Seattle Seahawks in 1995.

They brought him in during the offseason when they were looking for a veteran receiver to add to their roster. Galloway played two games this season with the New England Patriots, catching seven passes for 67 yards, before he was released on Oct. 20.

calmkiller
12-22-2009, 11:47 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09356/1022801-100.stm

The Steelers have brought in veteran wide receiver Joey Galloway and will likely sign him to their 53-man roster today as a replacement for Limas Sweed.

Galloway, 38, was at the Steelers offices this morning because Sweed, a No. 3 draft choice in 2008, has been placed on the reserve/non-football illness list, meaning he cannot play the rest of the season.

This isn't the first time the Steelers considered signing Galloway, the No. 1 draft choice of the Seattle Seahawks in 1995.

They brought him in during the offseason when they were looking for a veteran receiver to add to their roster. Galloway played two games this season with the New England Patriots, catching seven passes for 67 yards, before he was released on Oct. 20.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09356/10 ... z0aQubciI1 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09356/1022801-100.stm#ixzz0aQubciI1)

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-22-2009, 11:49 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09356/1022801-100.stm

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09356/10 ... z0aQubciI1 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09356/1022801-100.stm#ixzz0aQubciI1)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9762 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9762)
Alright...DRAW!!!
What a duel....

Jooser
12-22-2009, 11:53 AM
:tt2 YAY!! :tt2

:roll: kidding

phillyesq
12-22-2009, 11:53 AM
This is surprising. Galloway seemed to have a hard time adjusting with Brady in NE. I would have thought that bringing McDonald back would make more sense, but apparently I was wrong.

calmkiller
12-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Guess McDonald didn't do it for Tomlin. So if Galloway is playing at 38 Hines has 5 more years in him.

SteelAbility
Don't know what to think here. Could be great or could be a bust. It would be very ironic if we get in as a 6-seed and Galloway plays a big role in beating NE as the 3-seed. ;)

frankthetank1
This is surprising. Galloway seemed to have a hard time adjusting with Brady in NE. I would have thought that bringing McDonald back would make more sense, but apparently I was wrong.

that is what i was hoping for. mcdonald is a solid vet. galloway is washed up

calmkiller
12-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Mines Better!

Can we get the threads consolidated?

NW Steeler
12-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Guess McDonald didn't do it for Tomlin. So if Galloway is playing at 38 Hines has 5 more years in him.

Galloway hasn't taken near the physical pounding that Hines has though.

Oviedo
12-22-2009, 12:03 PM

I'm really confused about this move. Don't know why we would bring in a player who doesn't know the playbook as opposed to one who has been with the team for half the season. Guess we won't be seeing any 4 receiver sets this weekend. Hopefully Hines can play.

calmkiller
12-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Heath is the 4th receiver plus we have Logan who I am sure knows some plays. Spaeth could also fill in if needed.

Oviedo
12-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Heath is the 4th receiver plus we have Logan who I am sure knows some plays. Spaeth could also fill in if needed.

Gopod point on Logan. We did see him take a WR screen on Sunday. Maybe they work him in more plus maybe we saw a preview of Mendy becoming a big part of the passing game this past Sunday.

Just don't see what Galloway can contribute though if Hines' hammy blows out which it sounds like it is close to doing. McDonald was a good possession receiver who would seem ideal to step in for Hines. We are going to have to beat the Ravens through the air. That is their vulnerability and ben will have to have another day like last Sunday to beat them.

BDESteel
12-22-2009, 12:30 PM

I'm really confused about this move. Don't know why we would bring in a player who doesn't know the playbook as opposed to one who has been with the team for half the season. Guess we won't be seeing any 4 receiver sets this weekend. Hopefully Hines can play.

Two examples, Michael Crabtree and Braylan Edwards.

Not sure if Crabtree was looking at the playbook while he was holding out, but I know Edwards came in very green and contributed immediately. Being the seasoned vet that Galloway is, he can probably pick up the routes easily. Timing and conditioning should be his only road blocks.

I think it's a good move.

flippy
12-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Joey's a speed guy and age has probably caught up with him. Not sure I get this.

RuthlessBurgher
12-22-2009, 01:13 PM
I think that the 4th WR is still going to be Tyler Grisham for the Baltimore game, just like it was for the Packer game. Although he did not have any catches, he was out there at least 4 times. He was one of the guys blocking for Logan on that screen pass.

pfelix73
12-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Tomlin just said in his PC, that since is a vet of this league he shouldn't have nay problems getting up to speed this week in practice.

May be returning KO's. playing ST's.

Shoe
12-22-2009, 02:10 PM

But he has had more than one major knee surgery, and he is/was a steroid freak, and he did totally suck when he was with the Cheats*. I don't understand it, but whatever... hopefully he doesn't see the field too much.

SteelAbility
12-22-2009, 03:16 PM

Nor dished out the physical pounding. ;)

NW Steeler
12-22-2009, 03:23 PM

Yes, and that takes it toll as well. He's definitely dished out as much as he's taken. It is amazing how good of a year that he is having this season.

:ratsuck

brothervad
12-22-2009, 03:24 PM
You know this may be off...if he still has vertical acceleratoin...he may be returning kicks/punts

That may be a reason they signed him as opposed to MacDonald who likely knows the offense.

just sayin...

brothervad

BDESteel
12-22-2009, 04:03 PM
You know this may be off...if he still has vertical acceleratoin...he may be returning kicks/punts

That may be a reason they signed him as opposed to MacDonald who likely knows the offense.

just sayin...

brothervad

This would make no sense. Did something happen to Logan? Why use an older, slower person to run balls back? What do you do with Logan, sit him?

People say he's lost his speed, but he's on the team to replace Hines while he's out (right?) and I'm sure he still has more speed than Hines does. Plus, the coach said he should be able to learn the playbook rather quickly. Doesn't that mean he'll be taking the field as a reciever?

The only thing I'm worried about is can the man catch the ball? Everything else should fall into place as long as our OC uses him properly,,, Oh. 8)

brothervad
12-22-2009, 04:47 PM
"This would make no sense."

Actually, I believe they no longer are using Logan for PR's and let's be honest here most believe that Logan has been basically " a failed experiment".

My thought here, is if Galloway hasn't lost a great deal of his burst, he has at least one thing that Logan lacks--returning punts in the NFL.

It seems to me if they wanted a player with experience in Steelers O they would've gone back to McDonald.

Like everyone else, I am trying to figure out why they went in this direction...my explanation may be one plausible reason. That does not mean I am convinced, just suggesting a possibility.

brothervad

BDESteel
12-22-2009, 04:55 PM

Actually, I believe they no longer are using Logan for PR's and let's be honest here most believe that Logan has been basically " a failed experiment".

My thought here, is if Galloway hasn't lost a great deal of his burst, he has at least one thing that Logan lacks--returning punts in the NFL.

It seems to me if they wanted a player with experience in Steelers O they would've gone back to McDonald.

Like everyone else, I am trying to figure out why they went in this direction...my explanation may be one plausible reason. That does not mean I am convinced, just suggesting a possibility.

brothervad I should back up just a little. It would be weird for JG to start when Wallace is arguably the most productive/reliable receiver we have right now. Plus, it's still speculation that Ward won't play.

I'm not sure you can call Logan a bust when it's a proven fact our special teams play is horrid.

RuthlessBurgher
12-22-2009, 05:03 PM

brothervad

Logan no longer returning punts? From what I saw, Logan was back there for every punt return against the Packers, even the ones where the returner was backed up to this own 10 yard line, where we usually use Mewelde instead. Unlike the Cleveland game, Santonio was never put back to return a punt against Green Bay.

While our special teams coverage units suck out loud, our return game hasn't been awful. Although there have not been the big time "splash plays" that many expected from our return game, Logan has been consistently better as an all-around return man since Randle El signed in Washington. Perhaps you forget the days of Colclough and Poteat trying to return punts, or Davenport and Russell trying to return kicks. Ugh...

TallyStiller
12-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Logan has been a significant improvement in our return game, in that he actually catches the ball when it's kicked. Joey could represent a possibility of some further improvement, actual field flipping positive from the return game.

Joey's game is speed, not possession, like McDonald. They obviously thought that he could contribute before the season... he was offered a contract before The Hoodie swooped in with a bigger one. It appears they still prefer him to McDonald. If he can help stretch the field like Sweed was supposed to, tremendous. He was still running well in Tampa the last 2 years; the problem there was that he couldn't stay on the field, and that their QB, besides walking like a duck and quacking like a duck, couldn't throw the ball more than 30 yards, or see over his offensive line - not a good formula for success for a deep receiver. If his biggest crime in Foxboro was an inability to develop a chemistry with a qb coming off of major knee surgery in a 2 week time frame, I say give him a shot. Can't contribute less than the guy he's replacing, and unless he drops a pass that hits him in the hands to lose us a division game, he does less harm.

Plus, I hope that Coach Tomlin DOES pick his brain about The Hoodie's play book. This is a ploy that the Cheats* constantly pulled on us in the Cowher years, and one that BC was frankly never smart or thorough enough to reciprocate. Cowher was a motivator and teacher, but never a great gameplanner or gamesman. I see Coach Tomlin showing more in these regards - I applaud the onsides. He's turning into all the good of "The Hoodie" in terms of thoroughness and smarts, without any of the paranoia, cheating, homewrecking, or other generally sociopathic and d*uchey behavior.

stlrz d
12-22-2009, 10:36 PM

brothervad

Logan no longer returning punts? From what I saw, Logan was back there for every punt return against the Packers, even the ones where the returner was backed up to this own 10 yard line, where we usually use Mewelde instead. Unlike the Cleveland game, Santonio was never put back to return a punt against Green Bay.

While our special teams coverage units suck out loud, our return game hasn't been awful. Although there have not been the big time "splash plays" that many expected from our return game, Logan has been consistently better as an all-around return man since Randle El signed in Washington. Perhaps you forget the days of Colclough and Poteat trying to return punts, or Davenport and Russell trying to return kicks. Ugh...

I did see Moore back there for one PR. It was on SN1's end of the field.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-22-2009, 10:39 PM
Reading all this and all that about signing another WR makes me wonder how come we can't sign some super safety or corner, or at least one with a pulse?

SteelAbility
12-23-2009, 12:30 AM
I think the point of signing Galloway has to do with the position we are in right now. We need to gamble a bit. We can really use a speed guy with big play ability. Now we have two options to stretch the field, Wallace and Galloway which is more effective than Wallace alone.

Who cares that Galloway is fragile. The odds are that he will give us a big play or two before getting hurt. That could be just the edge we need either to win the next two or even possibly beyond that. If we get into the playoffs and he survives until then, then it's pure gravy at that point.

Plus, as some have mentioned, there is possibility of putting Galloway on STs.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-23-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm OK with the signing. At worst case scenario (If Hines can't go) is Galloway as the #3 if he jumps Grisham. Even at his age, that still could be a match-up problem. Of course Galloway as a #4 would be even better. I did watch galloway some when he played for the Patriots since the Steelers showed interest. He can still move. I heard he became unhappy really quick because they looked at him to run "Welker" patterns and I don't think a guy his age would be too happy doing that. A 38 year old doesn't want to be in a LB zone catching passes.

It was also reported that McDonald & Lelie were possible signings. I'm wondering if perhaps another might be signed if Ward can't go. If they are not 100% sure Galloway is the guy they can look to for help, they better get another vet in here to learn. If they are sure Galloway could help them, I would be more for bringing in a guy like Chad Jackson to fill an emergency role at WR but play STs. Sweed actually saw the field on coverage teams and we don't fill that hole with Galloway. If Ward, Holmes, & Wallace are healthy...Dress Grisham & Jackson. If one of the top 3 are inactive, dress Galloway in place of Jackson. "Jackson" could be a number of guys...Just an example. Maybe a guy like Bradley who the Chiefs released yesterday...Which is a mystery to me.

Oviedo
12-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Like I said we can do all the WR "what ifs" we want but IMO it will come down to the TEs and RBs to pull these last couple of games out from a passing game standpoint. Get the ball to Heath, Mendy and Mdwelde and let them get yards after the catch and eat up the clock to get our defensive secondary off the field as much as possible.

Never thought I wpould have to say that about a Steelers defense. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Iron Shiek
12-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Logan has been a significant improvement in our return game, in that he actually catches the ball when it's kicked. Joey could represent a possibility of some further improvement, actual field flipping positive from the return game.

Joey's game is speed, not possession, like McDonald. They obviously thought that he could contribute before the season... he was offered a contract before The Hoodie swooped in with a bigger one. It appears they still prefer him to McDonald. If he can help stretch the field like Sweed was supposed to, tremendous. He was still running well in Tampa the last 2 years; the problem there was that he couldn't stay on the field, and that their QB, besides walking like a duck and quacking like a duck, couldn't throw the ball more than 30 yards, or see over his offensive line - not a good formula for success for a deep receiver. If his biggest crime in Foxboro was an inability to develop a chemistry with a qb coming off of major knee surgery in a 2 week time frame, I say give him a shot. Can't contribute less than the guy he's replacing, and unless he drops a pass that hits him in the hands to lose us a division game, he does less harm.

Plus, I hope that Coach Tomlin DOES pick his brain about The Hoodie's play book. This is a ploy that the Cheats* constantly pulled on us in the Cowher years, and one that BC was frankly never smart or thorough enough to reciprocate. Cowher was a motivator and teacher, but never a great gameplanner or gamesman. I see Coach Tomlin showing more in these regards - I applaud the onsides. He's turning into all the good of "The Hoodie" in terms of thoroughness and smarts, without any of the paranoia, cheating, homewrecking, or other generally sociopathic and d*uchey behavior.

This is what I was thinking. FO predicting we make playoffs and face the Cheats. Ha.

Lets hope he can contribute. Even if its 2 plays like Limas did against Ravens last year, it will help.

SteelAbility
12-23-2009, 01:35 PM
[quote=calmkiller]Guess McDonald didn't do it for Tomlin. So if Galloway is playing at 38 Hines has 5 more years in him.

Yes, and that takes it toll as well. He's definitely dished out as much as he's taken. It is amazing how good of a year that he is having this season.

:ratsuck[/quote:5x5nfltt]

It does take it's toll. However, a weakened wounded DB tends not to hit you as hard the NEXT time knowing it might be coming right back at him. It's give/take. In my opinion Ward's dishing out punishment is more take than give.

NorthCoast
12-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Last I checked, both Hines and Holmes could end up with their best season EVER as Steelers in terms of yardage. Hines, I think, needs to average 100 yds/game to the end the season. Holmes is much closer to breaking his yardage record. This is pretty amazing but it also tells you how much our offense has evolved since Ben got here.