PDA

View Full Version : We need to draft a Cornerback

SteelCrazy
12-21-2009, 07:12 PM
A blue chip is needed. Gay is making me sick and Taylor is having one of his down years What is it with Taylor, one year he is good and the next it looks like he is a rookie. Our other rookies really haven't impressed but to be fair they haven't played much either......

I've looked up the cb's that are available but to be honest I dont know much about their game. Here are a few that I like in no particular order. I like Dowling personally, but I don't know.

1. Trevard Lindley, CB, Kentucky
When Lindley decided not to go pro after his junior season at Kentucky, this is probably not what he had in mind. The cornerback did not miss a single start since the beginning of his freshman year, but he suffered a high ankle sprain early in 2009 against Alabama and missed the next four contests. Lindley returned to action on November 7 against Eastern Kentucky and the Wildcats promptly went on a three-game winning streak. They ended their regular season with a loss at Tennessee to finish 7-5 (3-5 in the SEC). Despite playing in just eight games, Lindley made 24 solo tackles, was second on the team with seven pass breakups, and he also returned an interception for a touchdown. Still, it has not been an ideal conclusion to a stellar career for Lindley. He was named a Freshman All-American by countless publications in 2006, led the Wildcats in interceptions and pass breakups and finished second in total tackles in 2007, and was a consensus All-SEC First-Team performer in 2008.
Lindley has adequate size (he stands 6'0'' and 179 pounds), but it is his speed and technique which have set the cornerback apart as one of the best in the nation. He has been clocked at 4.40 in the 40-yard-dash and he is almost always in perfect position defending the pass, whether it's against the deep ball or a short route. Lindley's experience is hard to beat, and his durability was never an issue (and it remains a non-factor) until this season's ankle injury. He has the ability to be a shutdown corner at the next level, but he is not quite as fast nor as physical (especially at the line of scrimmage) as the NFL's best cornerbacks. Lindley must improve in those areas if he wants to become a Pro Bowl player. He once looked like a solid first-rounder in the 2010 draft, but the injury setback currently has him projected to be off the board no later than the middle of the second round.

2. Joe Haden, CB, Florida
Haden perhaps does not get as much recognition as he deserves as part of a Florida Gator team that has been loaded with stars ever since he stepped on campus in 2007. Even if relatively unheralded, Haden was a major contributor to last season's National Championship run and he is up to more of the same in 2009. The cornerback started all 14 games as a sophomore and was borderline dominant in the SEC Championship against Alabama and in the BCS National Championship against Oklahoma. Through five games of this season, Haden led the Gators with 20 solo tackles and was tied for the team lead with two interceptions. While he is most likely going to make his way to the NFL after three seasons, he still has plenty of experience. Haden even started 12 games as a freshman, missing one game (Florida State) due to a minor ankle injury. After being named to the All-SEC Second Team in 2008, Haden looks like he is going to do one better this time around.
He appears to have all the makings of a shutdown corner at the next level, and he currently clocks in at the low 4.4s of the 40-yard dash. The only minor --very minor-- drawback regarding Haden is that he does not have ideal size at 5'11'' and 190 points. Still, those measurements are more than adequate (especially since he makes up for it with speed and physical fearlessness). Assuming Haden makes himself eligible, he could be the first cornerback off the board in the 2010 draft.

3. Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State
Patrick Robinson has slowly worked his way up from reserve to superstar. As a true freshman in 2006 he played in 12 games as a back-up. In 2007 he earned All-ACC Honorable Mention honors and All-ACC second or third team accolades from some media outlets. During that season he tallied six interceptions, including one interception in five straight games. However, the 2008 season did not go as well. The story is the same in 2009. The opposition knows better now than to throw in Robinson's direction and he only picked off one pass in 2008 and has no interceptions through six games in 2009.
At 5-11 and 194 pounds, Robinson's size is not much of an issue. More importantly, he has the strength to battle with receivers at the line and enough speed to make up for any mistakes. Robinson is most known for his cover skills and obviously that is the most important thing to have in a cornerback. He may not deliver the big hit or have amazing speed, but he will blanket some great wide receivers.

The biggest issue for Robinson right now is his nagging ankle injury. He has already missed one game in the 2009 campaign and could miss more. He needs to come back healthy and strong as ever if he wants to be drafted in the first three rounds.

4. Ras-i Dowling, FS, Virginia
Ras-I Dowling has not been around for very long, but he certainly has wasted no time making a huge impact on Virginia's defense. The 6-2 cornerback finished his true freshman campaign with 44 tackles, a team high nine pass breakups and two interceptions. By 2008 he was a staple of the defense and started the final nine games of the season. His tackle total of 43 was nothing spectacular, but he led the team with three interceptions and 11 pass breakups.
Through eight games of his junior campaign, Dowling has tallied 40 tackles, 2.5 tackles-for-loss, one sack, one interception and one forced fumble. His 2008 season earned him a few accolades (like second-team All-ACC honors) and his 2009 campaign should provide more of the same.

Dowling's size is what makes him such an attractive cornerback. At 6-2 and 200 pounds, Dowling has more size than most corners, but he does not lack the coverage skills or the speed to keep up with most NFL receivers. His size could also mean Dowling could play some safety and that versatility, not to mention his great cover skills, make him a probable first round pick (whether he heads to the NFL early or opts to stick around college for another year).

SteelAbility
12-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Good post. Let me add to that. We need to draft a Cornerback who can actually catch the ball. :P

steelblood
12-21-2009, 08:12 PM
I don't like Dowling.

I watched him play Virginia Tech a few weeks ago. He personally gave up 100 yards in the first half. It was straight man coverage and he was continually turned around and fooled. He gave up two deep passes and then allowed 3 or 4 more in front of him. If you are thinking that he'll come in here as a rookie and do better than Gay, you may be disappointed. Right now, I'd say he is overrated and not playing to his ability.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-21-2009, 08:42 PM
I haven't totally cast Burnett or Lewis in the trash. I would consider drafting either a SS or FS. If you take a SS in the 1st, I would consider moving Troy to FS. He is going to be 29 this spring and a move to FS would hopefully allow him to do more ballhawking and using more of his coverage skills Vs. his blitzing skills.

We definately need some help in the secondary.....here are the 2010 free agents.....

Pos Player Name FA Status Previous Team Current Team
SS Will Allen UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers Free Agent
CB Will D. Allen UFA Miami Dolphins Free Agent
CB Alan Ball RFA Dallas Cowboys Free Agent
FS Antoine Bethea UFA Indianapolis Colts Free Agent
SS Atari Bigby UFA Green Bay Packers Free Agent
CB Will Blackmon UFA Green Bay Packers Free Agent
CB Dre' Bly UFA San Francisco 49ers Free Agent
CB Leigh Bodden UFA New England Patriots Free Agent
FS C.C. Brown UFA New York Giants Free Agent
SS Melvin Bullitt RFA Indianapolis Colts Free Agent
FS Daniel Bullocks UFA Detroit Lions Free Agent
FS Josh Bullocks UFA Chicago Bears Free Agent
SS Tyrone Carter UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent
FS Ryan Clark UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent
CB Drew Coleman UFA New York Jets Free Agent
FS Nick Collins UFA Green Bay Packers Free Agent
FS Craig Dahl RFA New York Giants Free Agent
CB Kevin Dockery UFA New York Giants Free Agent
SS Reed Doughty UFA Washington Redskins Free Agent
SS Abram Elam UFA New York Jets Free Agent
CB Therrian Fontenot UFA Philadelphia Eagles Free Agent
FS Eric Frampton RFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
FS Vincent Fuller UFA Tennessee Titans Free Agent
CB William Gay RFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent
CB Charles Gordon UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
CB Cedric Griffin UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
CB Brent Grimes RFA Atlanta Falcons Free Agent
CB Nick Harper UFA Tennessee Titans Free Agent
SS Roman Harper UFA New Orleans Saints Free Agent
FS Antoine Harris RFA Atlanta Falcons Free Agent
CB Walt Harris UFA San Francisco 49ers Free Agent
CB Anthony Henry UFA Detroit Lions Free Agent
CB Ellis Hobbs UFA Philadelphia Eagles Free Agent
CB Marcus Hudson UFA San Francisco 49ers Free Agent
CB Marlin Jackson UFA Indianapolis Colts Free Agent
CB Tim Jennings UFA Indianapolis Colts Free Agent
CB David Jones RFA Cincinnati Bengals Free Agent
FS Sean Jones UFA Philadelphia Eagles Free Agent
SS Kenoy Kennedy UFA Detroit Lions Free Agent
SS Dawan Landry UFA Baltimore Ravens Free Agent
FS Danieal Manning UFA Chicago Bears Free Agent
CB Richard Marshall UFA Carolina Panthers Free Agent
FS Derrick Martin RFA Green Bay Packers Free Agent
CB Terrence McGee UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent
CB Terence Newman UFA Dallas Cowboys Free Agent
CB Karl Paymah UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
SS Charlie Peprah UFA Green Bay Packers Free Agent
SS Brodney Pool UFA Cleveland Browns Free Agent
SS Pierson Prioleau UFA New Orleans Saints Free Agent
CB Keiwan Ratliff UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent
FS Mark Roman UFA San Francisco 49ers Free Agent
CB Stanford Routt UFA Oakland Raiders Free Agent
CB Benny Sapp UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
SS Gerald Sensabaugh UFA Dallas Cowboys Free Agent
FS Darren Sharper UFA New Orleans Saints Free Agent
FS Ko Simpson UFA Detroit Lions Free Agent
FS Eric Smith UFA New York Jets Free Agent
FS Quinton Teal RFA Carolina Panthers Free Agent
CB Leigh Torrence UFA New Orleans Saints Free Agent
CB Deshea Townsend UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent
CB Jonathan Wade RFA St. Louis Rams Free Agent
CB Fabian Washington UFA Oakland Raiders Free Agent
SS Pat Watkins UFA Dallas Cowboys Free Agent
CB Corey Webster UFA New York Giants Free Agent
CB Antoine Winfield UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
CB Ashton Youboty UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent
FS Usama Young RFA New Orleans Saints Free Agent

Chadman
12-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Chadman wouldn't draft a CB in the first couple of rounds this season. There are 2 rookies & Willie Gay already on the roster- we are young enough at CB.

Signing Antoine Winfield, however, is something Chadman would be in favour of. Get Tomlin 'his' CB from the Vikings days. Chadman fully expects Keenan Lewis to be given a shot next season. Lewis, Burnett & Taylor competing for the CB spot opposite Winfield sounds better than Taylor & Gay at CB, doesn't it?

Drafting a FS in the first couple of rounds though- that makes sense. Good depth through the first couple of rounds at FS this season.

The key will be what the Steelers do with Hampton. If they don't sign him, no position is of greater 'need' than NT. If they do sign him, FS becomes #1.

Chadman kinda likes the idea of CJ Spiller in Round 1 though..

flippy
12-21-2009, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing us take a flier on Marlin Jackson. He's had ACL injuries in both knees the last 2 seasons so I doubt anyone will be interested. But he's relatively young. He has some talent. And he might come cheaply. Plus he's a PA kid.

If he gets past the injuries, he could be a nice little steal.

steelerkeylargo
12-21-2009, 09:39 PM
I believe Keenan lewis will be moved to FS next year and be given every opportunity to win the job. Would love to see Burnett make a jump to starter and Willie Gay go back to NB. However I wouldnt mind bringing in an established veteran or drafting a CB early such as Haden or Ras-I Dowling. All I know for sure is I dont want to see T.Carter or W.Gay starting!

AkronSteel
12-22-2009, 01:25 AM
I've been saying for weeks that the Steelers need to go against tradition and sign a FA corner as opposed to drafting one!! Antoine Winfield would be fantastic....especially considering that he is a local Akron guy!!! I would absolutely love that!!! He and James I'm sure would be tight and considering he played for Tomlin in Minny, it might just give us an upperhand!

I would like to see the Steelers take a DT in the 1st round or at least the 2nd!! I would probably look for depth at FS or across the OL other than that early on. A RB will be needed as well but I wouldn't be surprised if the teams 3 backs going into next year are Mendenhall, Moore, and Summers with a blocking FB brought in for short yardage situations!!

:2c

Oviedo
12-22-2009, 08:46 AM
I've been saying for weeks that the Steelers need to go against tradition and sign a FA corner as opposed to drafting one!! Antoine Winfield would be fantastic....especially considering that he is a local Akron guy!!! I would absolutely love that!!! He and James I'm sure would be tight and considering he played for Tomlin in Minny, it might just give us an upperhand!

I would like to see the Steelers take a DT in the 1st round or at least the 2nd!! I would probably look for depth at FS or across the OL other than that early on. A RB will be needed as well but I wouldn't be surprised if the teams 3 backs going into next year are Mendenhall, Moore, and Summers with a blocking FB brought in for short yardage situations!!

:2c

Adding Winfield would be the perfect start to the transition to the 4-3 Cover 2 defense. He knows how to play it from his time with the Vikings and could be like having another coach on the field :stirpot

Seriously though, I think he resigned with the Vikings this past summer.

frankthetank1
12-22-2009, 08:54 AM
no way do i think the steelers should draft a cb early in the draft. FS maybe but not cb. they have lewis and burnett who are rookies and who know's how they will turn out. i would love it if the steelers signed winfield but they have to make sure they re-sign holmes and woodley before getting high priced free agents. i doubt it will happen though. the steelers never do much in free agency. duece was probably the highest paid free agent and that turned out badly.

Chadman
12-22-2009, 09:32 AM
no way do i think the steelers should draft a cb early in the draft. FS maybe but not cb. they have lewis and burnett who are rookies and who know's how they will turn out. i would love it if the steelers signed winfield but they have to make sure they re-sign holmes and woodley before getting high priced free agents. i doubt it will happen though. the steelers never do much in free agency. duece was probably the highest paid free agent and that turned out badly.

Don't take it personally Frank- but the perception that the Steelers don't do much in FA gets under Chadman's skin.

It's not about QUANTITY, but QUALITY for the Steelers.

James Farrior would likely be the highest paid/ reputation FA of recent years. The reason they don't sign MULTIPLE FA's is not because they don't want to- but they simply don't NEED to.

But give them credit for the Kimo Von Oelhoffen's, the Will Wolford's, the Ryan Clark's, the DeWayne Washington's, the James Farrior's, Wayne Gandy's etc...

Antoine Winfield would fit nicely.

frankthetank1
12-22-2009, 09:37 AM

Don't take it personally Frank- but the perception that the Steelers don't do much in FA gets under Chadman's skin.

James Farrior would likely be the highest paid/ reputation FA of recent years. The reason they don't sign MULTIPLE FA's is not because they don't want to- but they simply don't NEED to.

But give them credit for the Kimo Von Oelhoffen's, the Will Wolford's, the Ryan Clark's, the DeWayne Washington's, the James Farrior's, Wayne Gandy's etc...

dont get me wrong i love how the steelers handle free agency. they never over pay for players and they get solid players for little money. the guys they have gotten in FA is amazing. james farrior to add to your list of players is pretty impressive. my point was they never go after the top echelon of free agents like winfield will be.

grotonsteel
12-22-2009, 11:09 AM

dont get me wrong i love how the steelers handle free agency. they never over pay for players and they get solid players for little money. the guys they have gotten in FA is amazing. james farrior to add to your list of players is pretty impressive. my point was they never go after the top echelon of free agents like winfield will be.

Steelers are always up against the cap hence they don't sign a top notch FA.

They always prefer to sign their own players. I don't think Steelers are looking to sign Ike and William Gay anytime soon.

This season things could be different because of the CAP. Steelers need a CB ASAP or maybe they might sign a FA NT.

RuthlessBurgher
12-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Seriously though, I think he resigned with the Vikings this past summer.

Correct. Winfield signed a five-year, $36 million contract ($16.1 million guaranteed) this summer.

frankthetank1
12-22-2009, 11:27 AM

Steelers are always up against the cap hence they don't sign a top notch FA.

They always prefer to sign their own players. I don't think Steelers are looking to sign Ike and William Gay anytime soon.

This season things could be different because of the CAP. Steelers need a CB ASAP or maybe they might sign a FA NT.

Im sure gay is as good as gone next season. your right they do perfer to re-sign their own players which is smart. holmes and woodley should be high priority in the off season

papillon
12-22-2009, 11:38 AM
The Steelers sign plenty of high priced free agents, but they don't come from other teams. They sign their own Free agents that they deem worthy of keeping and let others go to market. And, they typically sign their own players with a year left on their contract, so that, they aren't tempted to hit the open market.

Fair offers, extended contracts and known quantities make for a better fit than paying huge dollars for players for which you don't have any first hand knowledge.

It's different than Snyder, Jones, et al, you would think that by now many Steeler fans would have this figured out. The Steelers draft, develop and sign or draft, develop and let go players, it really isn't that tricky.

Pappy

NWNewell
12-22-2009, 11:55 AM
The Steelers sign plenty of high priced free agents, but they don't come from other teams. They sign their own Free agents that they deem worthy of keeping and let others go to market. And, they typically sign their own players with a year left on their contract, so that, they aren't tempted to hit the open market.

Fair offers, extended contracts and known quantities make for a better fit than paying huge dollars for players for which you don't have any first hand knowledge.

It's different than Snyder, Jones, et al, you would think that by now many Steeler fans would have this figured out. The Steelers draft, develop and sign or draft, develop and let go players, it really isn't that tricky.

Pappy

Indeed. This is probably the single biggest reason the Steelers consistently make playoff appearances (with the occasional off year), instead of somehow getting the stars to align once a decade and not make a playoff appearance in 12 years.

You'd think other owners would try to emulate a winning formula. But I'm glad most don't! :Beer

SteelCrazy
12-22-2009, 02:48 PM
I would love to see the Steelers sign Winfield, but it doesn't seem realistic. Winfield is going to command big dollars regardless of any developed relations with Tomlin. Maybe with no cap the Steelers open up, maybe, but I still don't see them doing it.....I dont know the situation in Minn. but wouldn't he want to resign there? Also, there may be an issue with health because of age. He is 32 and missed 6 games in '07 and 6 games already this year.

That last sentence just spelled it out for me, the Steelers will not sign him.

Lebsteel
12-22-2009, 05:41 PM
I heard Todd McShay on the SVP radio show today saying that there is only one very good CB prospect in the draft this year and that is Joe Haden. He thinks he will probably go in the top 15 picks. So, I would hate for us to reach for a Rd. 2 or 3 talent with our first pick. I am sure we won't do that. I'm hoping for Rolando McClain, ILB or Dan Williams, NT. But that debate is on hold, at least for another week, but hopefully about six weeks! :tt1

Oviedo
12-22-2009, 06:03 PM
I heard Todd McShay on the SVP radio show today saying that there is only one very good CB prospect in the draft this year and that is Joe Haden. He thinks he will probably go in the top 15 picks. So, I would hate for us to reach for a Rd. 2 or 3 talent with our first pick. I am sure we won't do that. I'm hoping for Rolando McClain, ILB or Dan Williams, NT. But that debate is on hold, at least for another week, but hopefully about six weeks! :tt1

As I have already said once everyone starts to study this draft you will see that there is no top end CB talent worthy of a mid Round 1 pick. IMO this applies to Haden too. I bet he will measure just at or below 5'10". Not a good match up against the big receivers we face. I think the draft has lots of CB talent that will rate in the Round 2 or 3 range.

This is the best draft in years for Safeties, both potential free safeties and strong safeties. I'd still seriously consider Taylor Mays if he was there for our pick. The rap against him not having ball skills was the same one Troy came out of USC with. How did that work out?

I love the idea of Troy and Mays playing safety together. Guarantee that no one will outrun our safeties and the added benefit of Mays is he has the size to move to SS if Troy continues to get hurt.

As others have said I think Keenan Lewis will get a shot at Free Safety in the off season. IMO that is why Burnett is getting the reps ahead of him. Burnett has shown the potential to be a better CB and Lewis a better Safety.

Chadman
12-22-2009, 06:25 PM
What about grabbing a player 'on the rise' with a bit of starting experience?

A guy like Stanford Routt from Oakland perhaps?

http://www.raiders.com/team/roster/Stan ... 398049df38 (http://www.raiders.com/team/roster/Stanford-Routt/2fc700bb-c920-44e8-8fc5-27398049df38)

http://www.nfl.com/players/stanfordrout ... =ROU752713 (http://www.nfl.com/players/stanfordroutt/profile?id=ROU752713)

Pretty decent situational stats. And from memory- world class speed & a PR/KR option.

pick6
12-22-2009, 06:39 PM
As for chadman's winfield idea that would be amazing. we would simply be untouchable with him on the squad. there would be no more parity in the league, seriously. but can we afford him?

NW Steeler
12-22-2009, 06:53 PM
What about grabbing a player 'on the rise' with a bit of starting experience?

A guy like Stanford Routt from Oakland perhaps?

http://www.raiders.com/team/roster/Stan ... 398049df38 (http://www.raiders.com/team/roster/Stanford-Routt/2fc700bb-c920-44e8-8fc5-27398049df38)

http://www.nfl.com/players/stanfordrout ... =ROU752713 (http://www.nfl.com/players/stanfordroutt/profile?id=ROU752713)

Pretty decent situational stats. And from memory- world class speed & a PR/KR option.

I would hope that that the Steelers would take this direction. Sign a CB in free agency, thus allowing the selection of a ILB, DT or S in the draft. Regardless of whether or not Burnett and Lewis have starting potential, we need to build depth. Most of our starting secondary and backups do not have a very long future on this team.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-22-2009, 08:19 PM

Pappy

This is a great model, but the only way it can really work is if you have guys ready to step up and take over for players that aren't all that good or are on their way out. In this case it is a must to hit up free agency. We obviously don't have or didn't have a CB ready to take over for McFadden leaving. We don't have another NT groomed for Casey if he leaves. We didn't have a C ready for Hartings retiring and Mahan & Hartwig didn't/aren't cutting it.

There are times to hit up free agency, and for more than a bandaid or cheap labor.

NW Steeler
12-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Hartwig is performing well above what Mahan did.

:ratsuck

RuthlessBurgher
12-23-2009, 10:53 AM
I posted this on the first page of this thread, but people keep discussing Antoine Winfield as a possibility, so I will post it in a larger font size this time:

Winfield signed a five-year, $36 million contract ($16.1 million guaranteed) this summer.

Lebsteel
12-23-2009, 11:00 AM
I posted this on the first page of this thread, but people keep discussing Antoine Winfield as a possibility, so I will post it in a larger font size this time:

Winfield signed a five-year, $36 million contract ($16.1 million guaranteed) this summer.

Way to kill a thread Ruthless!! Ha, Ha

Oviedo
12-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Did some research on Taylor Mays. Now I really don't get the "lacks ballskills" opinions. This guy teamed with Troy would be awesome. At 235lbs. He would would make Ryan Clark's hits look like love taps.

2009: The hard-hitting Mays, a 2-time All-American first teamer who is a leading candidate for the Thorpe Award, returns for his fourth season as the starting free safety as a senior in 2009.

2008: While starting all 13 games, he had 53 tackles, including 2 for losses of 7 yards, and a team-high 9 deflections. He was named a 2008 consensus All-American first teamer, made the 2008 All-Pac-10 first team, and won USC's Bob Chandler Award. He had arthroscopic surgery on his ankle prior to 2008 spring practice.

2007: While starting all 13 games, he had 65 tackles (third on USC), 1 interception, 6 deflections, 1 fumble recovery and 1 forced fumble.

2006: Just a first-year freshman, Mays took over the free safety job in 2006 after Josh Pinkard suffered a season-ending injury in the opener and he ended up starting USC's final 12 games. While appearing in all 13 games, he had 62 tackles, a team-best 3 interceptions that he returned 40 yards (13.3 avg.) and 3 deflections.

Lebsteel
12-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Did some research on Taylor Mays. Now I really don't get the "lacks ballskills" opinions. This guy teamed with Troy would be awesome. At 235lbs. He would would make Ryan Clark's hits look like love taps.

2009: The hard-hitting Mays, a 2-time All-American first teamer who is a leading candidate for the Thorpe Award, returns for his fourth season as the starting free safety as a senior in 2009.

2008: While starting all 13 games, he had 53 tackles, including 2 for losses of 7 yards, and a team-high 9 deflections. He was named a 2008 consensus All-American first teamer, made the 2008 All-Pac-10 first team, and won USC's Bob Chandler Award. He had arthroscopic surgery on his ankle prior to 2008 spring practice.

2007: While starting all 13 games, he had 65 tackles (third on USC), 1 interception, 6 deflections, 1 fumble recovery and 1 forced fumble.

2006: Just a first-year freshman, Mays took over the free safety job in 2006 after Josh Pinkard suffered a season-ending injury in the opener and he ended up starting USC's final 12 games. While appearing in all 13 games, he had 62 tackles, a team-best 3 interceptions that he returned 40 yards (13.3 avg.) and 3 deflections.

Ovi, I'd love to see us draft Mays or Berry, but I think those two may be gone by our pick according to nfldraftscout.com. According to their projections, someone like Rolando McClain may still be there. I think you said in another thread that you think Dan Williams might be available in the 2nd round, but they have him ranked 14.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2010

NorthCoast
12-23-2009, 12:36 PM
With so many teams running 3-4 defenses now I don't think the top 3 NTs make it out of Rd. 1.

papillon
12-23-2009, 12:38 PM

I wish you'd stop using that micro font us older more seasoned posters can't see the small print. There is the option for large and huge you know. :evil: :P You talk a little louder as well, my hearings going as well. :moon

Pappy

SteelCrazy
12-23-2009, 09:22 PM

I changed my mind......I think the Steelers will sign Winfield this spring!

NJ-STEELER
12-24-2009, 03:31 PM
espn had mcsahy's top 5 mock on this afternoon.

haden and berry (FS) were both in it.

if haden does measure out to 5'9....maybe he drops some. i give up an inch or 2 in height for someone who can stick with a receiver or has some ball skills.
IIRC, winfield is 5'9 also.

and that list does need to be updated. ruthless had that 1 guy already singed and corey webster also re upped with the giants.

one last note, someone asked bouchette in his weekly chat about the draft asking ILB or DB's.
his answer was DBs by far

steelerkeylargo
12-24-2009, 05:12 PM

if haden does measure out to 5'9....maybe he drops some. i give up an inch or 2 in height for someone who can stick with a receiver or has some ball skills.

and that list does need to be updated. ruthless had that 1 guy already singed and corey webster also re upped with the giants.

one last note, someone asked bouchette in his weekly chat about the draft asking ILB or DB's.

McShay also said Jake Locker was number 1 overall. The evaluation committee told him he wasnt even a first rounder. So he went back to school. McShay sucks!!

Steel Life
12-27-2009, 12:44 AM
If we have a shot at either McClain or Weatherspoon - we should take it...unless Berry is there & then still take either McClain or Weatherspoon.

Lebsteel
12-27-2009, 01:25 AM
If we have a shot at either McClain or Weatherspoon - we should take it...unless Berry is there & then still take either McClain or Weatherspoon.

I agree on McClain, but Weatherspoon over Berry? Is he that good? I haven't seen too much Big 12 football I guess.

Oh, looking at your signature....I was at a Buckeye game in October and Sam Rutigliano was sitting about six rows down from us. We all recognized him but couldn't remember his name right away.

Oviedo
12-27-2009, 08:14 AM

5'9" is ok until the first couple of times he gives up a couple TDs on end zone fade routes then he will be a bust an another example of how much Tomlin draft picks suck.

Rewatch the Florida-Alabama game and you won't be so quick to take Haden.

steelz09
12-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Where does Taylor Mays fit in that?

He seems to have all the physical tools to be great in the NFL. I do see him out of position a lot (almost overly aggressive). That can be taught though.

frankthetank1
12-27-2009, 12:58 PM

He seems to have all the physical tools to be great in the NFL. I do see him out of position a lot (almost overly aggressive). That can be taught though.

your right on with mays being out of position a lot. he takes some really bad angles a good amount of the time. i watched the bc usc game last night and i wasnt impressed at all. if the steelers take mays in the first round i will be very dissapointed

NJ-STEELER
01-01-2010, 03:58 PM
http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php

a 3 round mock that has us taking

1.earl thomas FS
2. brandon spikes ILB... a CB going the next pick...
3. sergio kindle OLB

PSU_dropout43
01-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Too bad, LSU CB Patrick Peterson is only a Sophmore.

LSU players I like:

S Chad Jones, Jr.
DL Al Woods, Sr.

PSU:
DL Jared Odrick, Sr.
TE Andrew Quarless, Sr.

My current mock draft:
1. Cameron Heyward, DE Ohio St.
2. Demaryius Thomas, WR Georgia Tech
3. Trevard Lindley, CB, Kentucky

Shawn
01-02-2010, 02:45 AM
The problem I have with this whole FA thing is...letting McFadden go for a modest contract. Bone headed move. I am also curious about our youngsters but the Steelers are primed for another SB. We need help...and now. So, if given the option I say grab a vet in FA.

Oviedo
01-02-2010, 10:04 AM
The problem I have with this whole FA thing is...letting McFadden go for a modest contract. Bone headed move. I am also curious about our youngsters but the Steelers are primed for another SB. We need help...and now. So, if given the option I say grab a vet in FA.

I think if you recall we offered McFadden about the same as the Cardinals and we even offered a longer contract. McFadden's agent was playing a game where he wanted a very short contract to get him back into free agency again because he wasn't getting any of the big offers or level of interest that they thought he was going to get.

While he may be playing better than Gay everything I have read hardly has him as a great player for the Cardinals.

Shawn
01-02-2010, 10:12 AM

Mays is a very athletically gifted safety...who I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. You would think with all that ability he can play safety. It's just not the case. He has very little coverage ability...but some team will take a chance on him. I just hope it's not the Steelers.

Shawn
01-02-2010, 10:14 AM

I think if you recall we offered McFadden about the same as the Cardinals and we even offered a longer contract. McFadden's agent was playing a game where he wanted a very short contract to get him back into free agency again because he wasn't getting any of the big offers or level of interest that they thought he was going to get.

While he may be playing better than Gay everything I have read hardly has him as a great player for the Cardinals.

He was a solid player for us...that's all I really care about. He was much better than Gay and our secondary has suffered without him.

BURGH86STEEL
01-02-2010, 01:14 PM
I don't think they need to draft a CB. We went through this with they need to draft an Olinemen. I think when the Steelers draft they will have several options. They can still look at Oline, Dline, LB, or DB's early in the draft. I don't believe they will limit themselves by thinking they should only draft for one position.

SteelCrazy
01-02-2010, 03:27 PM
I don't think they need to draft a CB. We went through this with they need to draft an Olinemen. I think when the Steelers draft they will have several options. They can still look at Oline, Dline, LB, or DB's early in the draft. I don't believe they will limit themselves by thinking they should only draft for one position.

You're right, the Steelers will not draft according to need. Since Colbert has been here, they have drafted BPA. However, with a little luck, the best player available will be a CB :)

decleater
01-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Good post. Let me add to that. We need to draft a Cornerback who can actually catch the ball. :P
The catch 22 here is that cornerbacks who can catch the football consistently are called receivers.

frankthetank1
01-02-2010, 05:47 PM

He was a solid player for us...that's all I really care about. He was much better than Gay and our secondary has suffered without him.

even though gay has been awful this year he was pretty solid last season so you cant blame the FO too much for going with gay and not paying too much for bmac. bmac isnt the answer either at cb. he is very mediocre. how many seasons did it take for him to start over deshea? bmac has also been pretty bad with the cards this season.

MaxAMillion
01-02-2010, 06:53 PM
I think safety is a much bigger need than corner. The Steelers need at least two safeties. Not sure Troy can be counted on to play a full season anymore. I don't know that any safety is worthy of being drafted in the top 15 outside of Berry (who will be gone when the Steelers pick).

I would love it if McClain was around when the Steelers pick. If not, they should draft Trent Williams and plug him into RT (Colon can be let go) or Dan Williams (NT fron Tennessee).

I wouldn't write off the two young corners the Steelers drafted last year. I definitely would draft a corner in round one.

NJ-STEELER
01-02-2010, 11:10 PM
in this defense, FS isn't really a position they look to adress with a high pick.

hope and clark both played it safe for troy to run around and do the things he does best.
i doubt they change that philosphy

pfelix73
01-03-2010, 12:39 AM
There is no doubt that we need help at the CB spot and if a top notch CB would be there where we pick. (I'm guessing somewhere around 18-22 unless there is a miracle)

Picking up a CB via FA would be a way to go as well. We need someone to compliment Ike, because Gay isn't the answer. IMO.

A bigger need (after watching the game last week as well as others) might just be a RT. Getting a RT around pick 20 could be a possibility. Colon is starting to get on my nerves. Starting to really wonder if he should be moved back to G.

:tt1

Oviedo
01-03-2010, 01:14 AM

You're right, the Steelers will not draft according to need. Since Colbert has been here, they have drafted BPA. However, with a little luck, the best player available will be a CB :)

This is a weak draft at the top end for a CB. Unlikely any good CB is on the board when we pick worth the pick. This draft is loaded with safeties. IMO they will look at LB, OL or DL in Round 1.

NorthCoast
01-03-2010, 01:24 PM
A Gay or Bmac CB was proven to work well with Troy playing. It comes down to which is easier to find in the draft, a shutdown CB or a once-in-a-decade safety. I hear this is a very weak year for CBs so we may be looking at the top safeties available. It would be great to have both but I don't think we NEED both to be a dominant defense again. We have heard the stories about Troy's amazing instincts for the game and that is something I don't think can be easily replaced....how much of the defensive secondary playcalling is a result of those instincts and was Troy part of making those calls on the field? These are questions we don't have answers for.

Shawn
01-03-2010, 03:17 PM

even though gay has been awful this year he was pretty solid last season so you cant blame the FO too much for going with gay and not paying too much for bmac. bmac isnt the answer either at cb. he is very mediocre. how many seasons did it take for him to start over deshea? bmac has also been pretty bad with the cards this season.

2 year 10 million isn't exactly breaking the bank. I mean our D last season was sick. Now, it's pathetic...at least according to Steeler standards. The loss of Troy and McFadden were huge.

Shoe
01-03-2010, 04:46 PM
A Gay or Bmac CB was proven to work well with Troy playing. It comes down to which is easier to find in the draft, a shutdown CB or a once-in-a-decade safety. I hear this is a very weak year for CBs so we may be looking at the top safeties available. It would be great to have both but I don't think we NEED both to be a dominant defense again.

GAY didn't prove anything (with Troy playing). If Gay wasn't exploited last year in the games he played for McFadden, it was as much as other teams not noticing he is as bad as he is (e.g. a rookie QB in his first go around the league... second go around, when people have "a book" on them = different story)

GAY is exposing himself as an NFL player--at best, he could be a Hank Poteat-type NFL journeyman.

That all being said, I never advocate drafting for need. If the best player available happens to be a QB, I say take the QB.