PDA

View Full Version : Rank the Play

Flasteel
12-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Regardless of the outcome of our season, that throw to Wallace has automatically been entered into Steeler lore, along with all of the other memorable game-winning plays. Our history includes two of the all-time plays with the Immaculate Reception and Holmes' winning (and curiously unnamed) catch in SB 43. Where do you rank it now? Where does it have the potential to rank amongst our greatest all-time game-winning plays?

Now:
1. Immaculate Reception
2. Holmes' catch
3. Ben's tackle
4. Troy's pick 6 against the Ravens (okay we were winning, but it sealed a trip to the SB)
5. Ben to Wallace
6. The Harbaugh failed hail mary
7. Ben to Ward to beat the Jags
8. Ben to Holmes to beat the Ravens last year
9. Townsend's int. return to beat the Cowboys
10. Bradshaw to Bennie Cunningham on the flea-flicker to beat the Stains

I'm sure I'm missing some memorable game-winning plays, so feel free to add to the list. But right now, I have it as the 5th best on this impromptu top 10. I think it has the potential to rise as far as maybe number 3, depending on of course what transpires.

PSU_dropout43
12-21-2009, 02:54 PM
That list screams "Big Ben's asked to do too much." :lol:

nice list.

steelblood
12-21-2009, 02:59 PM
1. Holmes SB catch
2. Immaculate Reception
3. Harrison's SB Int Return (how in the world do you omit this?)
4. Stallworth's mind-bending catch vs. Rams in Super Bowl 14 (he actually had two of them). At the time, it was pretty inconceivable. Swan was out of the game and they were double and triple teaming him.
5. Ben's tackle (saved the season, lead to Championship)
6. Porter's big sacks late vs. Colts in 2005 playoffs.
7. Glen Edwards hit on John Gilliam in Super Bowl 9. Ball pops up and Blount intercepts it. Happened at Steelers' five yard line and stopped the Vikes best drive of the game and broke their will. The beginning of Super Bowl glory.
8. Swann's crazy catch along the sideline vs. Dallas in Super Bowl.
9. Ben to Wallace (I still can't believe it. I'd move this up if they make the playoffs.)
10. Polamalu's pick vs. Bengals where he undercut the ball and then ran over Carson Palmer on his way to seal the game.
11. Bradshaw to Cunningham flea flicker (I remember thinking, I can't believe Noll called that play at that point).
12. Polamaul's pick/ret vs. Ravens in AFCCG
13. Randle El's pass to Hines in Super Bowl 40
245. Townshend's pick vs. Dallas (not even a great play. Ball was right to him). don't get me wrong, this was a great moment. But, it probably doesn't make a top five moment for that season.

flippy
12-21-2009, 06:21 PM
It's a great catch that will only be remembered if we win in the playoffs.

skyhawk
12-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Nice list.

I have 4 from the Steelers Colts game in the 95 season.

1. Pass to Ernie Mills to the 1 yard line.

2. Bam's 1 yard run to regain the lead.

3. Willie Williams "immaculate" tackle for loss on 3rd and 4 to keep the Colts from running out the clock and were able to get the ball back for #'s 1 and 2 above.

4. Pass to Andre Hastings on 4th down to get #1 and #2 above after Willie's "Immaculate" tackle.

skyhawk
12-21-2009, 07:05 PM
1. Holmes SB catch
2. Immaculate Reception
4. Stallworth's mind-bending catch vs. Rams in Super Bowl 14 (he actually had two of them). At the time, it was pretty inconceivable. Swan was out of the game and they were double and triple teaming him.
7. Glen Edwards hit on John Gilliam in Super Bowl 9. Ball pops up and Blount intercepts it. Happened at Steelers' five yard line and stopped the Vikes best drive of the game and broke their will. The beginning of Super Bowl glory.
9. Ben to Wallace (I still can't believe it. I'd move this up if they make the playoffs.)
10. Polamalu's pick vs. Bengals where he undercut the ball and then ran over Carson Palmer on his way to seal the game.
11. Bradshaw to Cunningham flea flicker (I remember thinking, I can't believe Noll called that play at that point).
245. Townshend's pick vs. Dallas (not even a great play. Ball was right to him). don't get me wrong, this was a great moment. But, it probably doesn't make a top five moment for that season.

The cool thing about Deshea's pick was that they played renegade before that play. They also called it in the huddle before the int was made!!

Shoe
12-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Nice list.

3. Willie Williams "immaculate" tackle for loss on 3rd and 4 to keep the Colts from running out the clock and were able to get the ball back for #'s 1 and 2 above.

4. Pass to Andre Hastings on 4th down to get #1 and #2 above after Willie's "Immaculate" tackle.

Nice list original thread starter. And I will co-sign a couple on skyhawk's list: the Mills catch (breathtaking), and the Willie Williams tackle (very underrated GREAT play), as among the all-time greats that I've seen. I don't know that I'd rank this one anywhere near anything, cuz it can be all for nathan.

SteelAbility
12-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Regardless of the outcome of our season, that throw to Wallace has automatically been entered into Steeler lore, along with all of the other memorable game-winning plays. Our history includes two of the all-time plays with the Immaculate Reception and Holmes' winning (and curiously unnamed) catch in SB 43. Where do you rank it now? Where does it have the potential to rank amongst our greatest all-time game-winning plays?

Now:
1. Immaculate Reception Off the charts
2. Holmes' catch Top 3
3. Ben's tackle Top 3
4. Troy's pick 6 against the Ravens (okay we were winning, but it sealed a trip to the SB) Top 20
5. Ben to Wallace Top 10 ... however, IF it turns out that we get into the playoffs AND we end up winning the SB, this will launch to Top 4
6. The Harbaugh failed hail mary ??? Oh, yeah, the JIM Harbaugh failed Hail Mary ... Top 15
7. Ben to Ward to beat the Jags Top 20
8. Ben to Holmes to beat the Ravens last year Top 20
9. Townsend's int. return to beat the Cowboys Top 40
10. Bradshaw to Bennie Cunningham on the flea-flicker to beat the Stains I don't remember this one

I'm sure I'm missing some memorable game-winning plays, so feel free to add to the list. But right now, I have it as the 5th best on this impromptu top 10. I think it has the potential to rise as far as maybe number 3, depending on of course what transpires.

SteelCrazy
12-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Nice list.

Man, I wish I had a good memory. I do remember bits and pieces of the plays you list, but they dont stand out like that. It's not that I was too young, in '95 I was 23....hell, I remember parts of games from the 70's but the 90's are just as blurry......I must be dumb.....lol

Flasteel
12-21-2009, 07:53 PM
1. Holmes SB catch
2. Immaculate Reception

This was a list of game winning plays, not just the greatest plays in Steeler history. To be a game-winning play, it pretty much had to be at the end and had to be the difference. I think the Harrison TD might even be a greater play than Holmes' catch, but it wasn't the game-winner.

Those are all some great plays that you listed though.

steelblood
12-21-2009, 08:05 PM
1. Holmes SB catch
2. Immaculate Reception

This was a list of game winning plays, not just the greatest plays in Steeler history. To be a game-winning play, it pretty much had to be at the end and had to be the difference. I think the Harrison TD might even be a greater play than Holmes' catch, but it wasn't the game-winner.

I understand that. I guess I figured if you could break the rules (#4), why can't I?
I'd argue that Harrison's int had more to do with winning than #4 on your list which, by your own admission, wasn't a game winning play either.

ColumbusSteelerFan
12-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Tough to rank those. I did want to add another "non-game winning" play from the Colts 2006 playoff game. Right before the missed FG at the end of the game, Manning launched a bomb to Marvin Harrison in the end zone. Bryan McFadden made an AMAZING stop to knock the ball away. For me at least, I thought that was pretty damn good to have a rookie corner stop one of the league's best receivers when the game was on the line. Without that stop, Indy gets a TD and they probably go on and win SB XL.

JTP53609
12-21-2009, 08:47 PM
an underrated often overlooked play...

the break up
bryant mcfadden making a fabulous play against reggie wayne to bat the deep balll away with under a minute to go in the afc divisional game in 05...it was in the corner of teh endzone and 9 out of 10 times it is a touchdown between those 2...had wayne caught the ball than the clts win the game and we dont win a super bowl

skyhawk
12-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Tough to rank those. I did want to add another "non-game winning" play from the Colts 2006 playoff game. Right before the missed FG at the end of the game, Manning launched a bomb to Marvin Harrison in the end zone. Bryan McFadden made an AMAZING stop to knock the ball away. For me at least, I thought that was pretty damn good to have a rookie corner stop one of the league's best receivers when the game was on the line. Without that stop, Indy gets a TD and they probably go on and win SB XL.

Sweet. I was at that game and I remember that play.

I was also at the 95 Steelers-Colts game, which is why I remember the above plays so well.

:tt1

Flasteel
12-21-2009, 08:55 PM
1. Holmes SB catch
2. Immaculate Reception

I understand that. I guess I figured if you could break the rules (#4), why can't I?
I'd argue that Harrison's int had more to do with winning than #4 on your list which, by your own admission, wasn't a game winning play either.

I guess I did open the door with that inclusion. I don't know if Harrison's TD had more to do with the outcome than Troy's (maybe it did), but it belongs in any conversation of great Steeler plays.

stlrz d
12-21-2009, 10:20 PM
1. Holmes SB catch
2. Immaculate Reception

I guess I did open the door with that inclusion. I don't know if Harrison's TD had more to do with the outcome than Troy's (maybe it did), but it belongs in any conversation of great Steeler plays.

You also broke the rule with Ben's tackle. :P

The Colts still had a chance to win after that tackle.

Starlifter
12-22-2009, 01:48 AM
great plays that deserve ranking can by rule only occur in games of monumental importance. playoffs and SB's garner the vast majority. Ben to Wallace was a terrific play but unless we win another SB this year I think it will be forgotten as time moves on. There are some impressive lists on the first page. unless i missed it I don't think anyone mentioned Troy's interception last year against the chargers. if that had happened in the SB it would be one of the greatest plays of all time. in a regular season game, just spectacular.

so wallace and ben are screwed. it has everything you need to be a ranked play - just wasn't the right game....... :lol: :lol: