PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben asked to do too much

Steeler Mafia
12-21-2009, 12:56 PM
I don't mean to throw salt on this win, but I have to get this off my chest.

First off let me start by saying that we got a great win. Ben was outstanding and the stats show that. However, I think we are asking too much of our QB. Yesterdays game could have gone either way. I could not believe how we continued to abandoned the run again after the first half. Mendenhall had only 11 carries. Are you serious? 11 carries? This kid is going to be something special if we only give him a chance to carry the ball. After his running TD and they showed him with his arms up in the air, and I never realized this kid is that big. He is a beast, but we use him like a puny Reggie Bush type player. What a waste of talent. Now I know that he did have 6 cathes for 70+ yards, but that is still relying on the pass way too much. Why is it we can't get our RB a minimum of 25 carries? BA and his stubborness is going to kill this team. How many times are we going to ask Ben to throw for 500 yards? Games like that are not going to come every week. There is no balance to this team and a team with no offensive balance will almost always find themselves watching the playoffs from the couch of thier own home. I was honestly disgusted with yesterdays game, but the end result was much more enjoyable than the last 5 weeks.

Don't get me started talking about the defense yesterday. There is no faith in them anymore getting a stop when we need it. Too many big plays given up and missed tackles.

:HeadBanger

flippy
12-21-2009, 01:05 PM
He needs to do more. This offense should be putting up loads of points to take defensive deficiencies out of the equation.

He's capable and proved it against a top defense in the Packers. He needs to play even better to carry the whole team.

Convert more 3rd downs. Score TDs in the redzone. And take the game off the defense's shoulders. We need even more from Ben than we're getting.

cruzer8
12-21-2009, 01:57 PM
It was a shoot out. We had to shoot to keep up with their shooting.

NWNewell
12-21-2009, 02:48 PM
I'll agree that I hate how quickly we continue to shy away from running the ball, especially in a game like this one that was so close and we were almost always ahead.

But at the same time, when you putt up 503 yards, 3 passing TD's, and more importantly averaging over 10yds per pass play... it's yard to argue that we should run the ball more at 4 yds per rushing attempt.

Also, let me ask you this from a little different perspective... and I'll ask you to keep an opened mind.

And on the year, you look at the fact that we are averaging 7.2 net yards per pass play (including sack numbers). Running the ball we are averaging 4.2 yards per pass play. Which would you rather try to do more?

Unfortunately, it's not quite that simple. Passing has a higher standard deviation so the success is more sporadic and it is often difficult to sustain a long drive on passing due to this. Also, obviously the more you pass (or run) the more the defense will adjust.

If we assume you get 60 offensive plays per game. If you call a 50/50 split (with our numbers) we would have 30 rushing plays at 4.2 yds per game and 30 pass plays at 7.2 yards per play. That's 342 yards per game. We'll assume that the defense plays an honest balanced game due to the balanced offensive attack.

If we passed a little more, 35 pass plays and 25 run plays, that would result in 357 yards per game.... assuming that 35/25 split is still balanced enough to cause the defense to stay balanced.

There is a balance there were even if the opponents defense adjusts a little, you can probably produce more with a good passing attack than you can running more often. And you can push that edge unit the defense adjusts so much that your passing production comes way down, or until the higher standard deviation of passing causes the overall offense to be too inefficient.

Ben has proved that he can handle more than his fair share of the load. Counter to my thoughts a couple years ago, I don't think we need to run just as often as we pass. But I definitely agree that BA pushing the edge a little too far causing our offensive production to be a little too sporadic and the sometimes defenses are able to adjust a little too much.

Our offensive results are not half bad. But I do think they could be better if we would be just a hair more committed to the run... more so in specific situations than just arbitrarily across the board. If we were more committed situation ally, I think our split would be a bit more like 45-55 or 46/54 and think we would see a little more efficiency from the offense.

On the year we are at about a 43/57 run/pass split. With that we are averaging 22.5 points per game, 375 yds/g, and 33:18 TOP. Over the past 10 years we've averaged 22.1 pt/g, 328.5 yds/g, and 32:39 TOP. So this "pass happy" offense is putting up better numbers and better TOP than we have in recent history with our "Steelers Style" running offense. We are not doing much better in points per game, but that is because our Redzone efficiency is suffering this year. And I think that goes back to running situationally. I think if we did, our Redzone and 3rd down % would be better and you'd see some more points and even more production.

I'd like to see about 27 runs and 33 passes on average. We are not fare from it. there are typically a few plays here or there throughout the game on 3rd and short or in the redzone where I would like to see more running plays being called. But unfortunately, in today's game where the rules and officiating favor the passing attack, any team that as s reasonable passing game is going is better served to be a little unbalanced towards the pass.

Wow... that was long winded.... :shock:

msp26505
12-21-2009, 03:00 PM
I want to see more of a commitment to the run NEXT year.

This year, we have to go for the jugular whenever possible. Apparently, we need to outscore opponents rather than keep them from scoring.

I hate the Arians philosophy, if it can even be called a philosophy. Most of the time, it looks like it's simply poor game planning. Ben can also create his magic with the threat of a run from time to time, and we appear to have a stud RB in Mendy.

I am still more comfortable with getting an early lead, keeping the other offense on the sideline and running clock.

NWNewell
12-21-2009, 03:07 PM
I want to see more of a commitment to the run NEXT year.

This year, we have to go for the jugular whenever possible. Apparently, we need to outscore opponents rather than keep them from scoring.

I hate the Arians philosophy, if it can even be called a philosophy. Most of the time, it looks like it's simply poor game planning. Ben can also create his magic with the threat of a run from time to time, and we appear to have a stud RB in Mendy.

Totally agree.... while I'll say that today's game favors an unbalanced passing attack from good passing games, I do not like the way BA calls plays for the most part and think that he pushes the unbalanced attack a little too far.

Though I'll give him credit... the play action on the first play of the game was genius. We run the first two plays of every half almost as routinely as old faithful.

It might be that BA is great as game planning and scripting at the beginning of games, then just can't think on his feet for the rest of the game. I know there have been a ton of games where it seems like they come out clicking with some great calls... be it WR screens, or something else that gets the offense moving.... then come the middle of the 2nd quarter or the 2nd half, it seems like it's back to the same old BA, lets go to 5 step drop and look for people 15-20 yards down field....

skyhawk
12-21-2009, 03:35 PM
I am tired seeing Willie and Mewelde in the game in the 2nd Q when Mendenhall is starting to try to get his groove and a feel for the game. He then goes to the bench for a while.

Is he out of shape or something? What am I missing? :HeadBanger

RKSteel
12-21-2009, 03:47 PM
On the year we are at about a 43/57 run/pass split. With that we are averaging 22.5 points per game, 375 yds/g, and 33:18 TOP. Over the past 10 years we've averaged 22.1 pt/g, 328.5 yds/g, and 32:39 TOP. So this "pass happy" offense is putting up better numbers and better TOP than we have in recent history with our "Steelers Style" running offense. We are not doing much better in points per game, but that is because our Redzone efficiency is suffering this year. And I think that goes back to running situationally. I think if we did, our Redzone and 3rd down % would be better and you'd see some more points and even more production.
What I would like to see is the Steelers TOP during the 4th qtr when they were a run first offense. I miss those 7-9 min drives to close out a game. I think with Mendenhall, the Steelers have that ability again.

skyhawk
12-21-2009, 04:06 PM
What I would like to see is the Steelers TOP during the 4th qtr when they were a run first offense. I miss those 7-9 min drives to close out a game. I think with Mendenhall, the Steelers have that ability again.

With Mendenhall they do. With this OL they do not.

Steeler Mafia
12-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Granted, what Ben did yesterday was incredible, and yes, I am a firm believer of the "if they can't stop it, run it until they do" philosophy. However, I don't believe you can abandon the run so quickly as Arians does game after game. I think we would put up monster points if we were to keep the defense guessing and run the ball more rather than passing all the time. I wanted to throw up after I saw the empty set on 4 straight downs just before Skippy kicked that last field goal. Why??? I mean, wouldn't it be a good idea to run the ball to get a 2nd and 6 or a 3rd and short? We can't expect Ben to put up these kind of numbers game in and game out. We may have won the game, but this offensive mindset is not going to get us anywhere in the future.

NWNewell
12-21-2009, 04:14 PM
I wanted to throw up after I saw the empty set on 4 straight downs just before Skippy kicked that last field goal. Why???

I hate that as well. That's why I say that I don't mind as much as we throw the ball as I do "how" we throw the ball.

I would like to see some more runs worked in there in certain situations. But not as much as I would like to see better play calling and formations. I hate the empty set. Last year, I hated the single back set... now I'm begging for it. At least keep a one back there to give a little bit of a threat of the run.

NorthCoast
12-21-2009, 07:11 PM

First off let me start by saying that we got a great win. Ben was outstanding and the stats show that. However, I think we are asking too much of our QB. Yesterdays game could have gone either way. I could not believe how we continued to abandoned the run again after the first half. Mendenhall had only 11 carries. Are you serious? 11 carries? This kid is going to be something special if we only give him a chance to carry the ball. After his running TD and they showed him with his arms up in the air, and I never realized this kid is that big. He is a beast, but we use him like a puny Reggie Bush type player. What a waste of talent. Now I know that he did have 6 cathes for 70+ yards, but that is still relying on the pass way too much. Why is it we can't get our RB a minimum of 25 carries? BA and his stubborness is going to kill this team. How many times are we going to ask Ben to throw for 500 yards? Games like that are not going to come every week. There is no balance to this team and a team with no offensive balance will almost always find themselves watching the playoffs from the couch of thier own home. I was honestly disgusted with yesterdays game, but the end result was much more enjoyable than the last 5 weeks.

Don't get me started talking about the defense yesterday. There is no faith in them anymore getting a stop when we need it. Too many big plays given up and missed tackles.

OK, yeah. Another case of "imposing our will" against the No. 2 rushing defense. Why should we beat our heads against a wall with running, when Ben pretty much had his way with this defense? I'm all for balance, but not just for balance sake. You go with what is working and passing was working yesterday.

stlrz d
12-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Something I didn't fully realize until I saw it posted by a Packers fan on the CHFF forum. The Packers #2, #4 and #5 corners are on IR...and #7 is nicked up.

We exploited the hell out of #7 and #8. Take what they give you...especially when they are so willing to give it! :lol:

feltdizz
12-21-2009, 10:24 PM
I understand the concern and I agree. It looked like the 2002 Tommy Gun Steelers. You have to wonder if we are in a shootout if we run the ball more.... and the crazy thing is when we did it was with FWP? There was a time we were up by 10... and Arians was still passing like we were down.
That doesn't burn clock if it's an incompletion.

503 yards and a last second miracle for a win? I know the D is terrible but I think If we ran more or
had some balance GB wouldn't have had the possessions to get back in it.

I also understand this late season calls for unbalanced play selection and onside kicks. This is a brand new Steeler style of football.

NWNewell
12-22-2009, 09:57 AM
503 yards and a last second miracle for a win? I know the D is terrible but I think If we ran more or
had some balance GB wouldn't have had the possessions to get back in it.

Really? How much do you really think they possessed the ball??

You realize we had the ball for 35 minutes and GB only ran 61 plays (they average 65), right? Time of possession because of incomplete passes was not the problem.

Even though the defense was fresh and only on the field for 25 minutes, they gave up a 62% 3rd down conversion and were just as bad at redzone defense. That was the problem.

Steeler Mafia
12-22-2009, 11:32 AM

OK, yeah. Another case of "imposing our will" against the No. 2 rushing defense. Why should we beat our heads against a wall with running, when Ben pretty much had his way with this defense? I'm all for balance, but not just for balance sake. You go with what is working and passing was working yesterday.

In case some of you missed it, and it appears some of you have, we ran the ball pretty well on the Pack in the 1st quarter, then like always, we abandoned the run all together. It is not just this game, it is all our games this year. Like I said in an earlier post above, I am all for the "if they can't stop it, run it until they do" philosophy. However, when you pass every down, you are not keeping the opposing defense honest. Especially with the empty sets for 3 straight downs before going for another field goal. Absolutelly assinine. At least give them the look that you may run it rather than tip your hand on every snap. It may have worked in this game, but in the long run with other teams, and especially in the cold weather and playoffs, this will kill a drive and ultimately lose more games than win them.

NWNewell
12-22-2009, 11:41 AM
[quote="Steeler Mafia":1jco4xmz]I don't mean to throw salt on this win, but I have to get this off my chest.

In case some of you missed it, and it appears some of you have, we ran the ball pretty well on the Pack in the 1st quarter, then like always, we abandoned the run all together. It is not just this game, it is all our games this year. Like I said in an earlier post above, I am all for the "if they can't stop it, run it until they do" philosophy. However, when you pass every down, you are not keeping the opposing defense honest. Especially with the empty sets for 3 straight downs before going for another field goal. Absolutelly assinine. At least give them the look that you may run it rather than tip your hand on every snap. It may have worked in this game, but in the long run with other teams, and especially in the cold weather and playoffs, this will kill a drive and ultimately lose more games than win them.[/quote:1jco4xmz]

We put up 427 net passing yards, 537 total yards, 3 passing TD's with no INT's and 37 points. All without the benefit of any turnovers or big special teams plays and while mounting a 35 minute time of possession.

Yet your complaining about the offense during the GB game??? THAT is absolutely assinine.

I'm all for a little more balance than what BA has been giving, but not at the expense of the total production and how we can most effectively exploit our opponents defense.

You really can't see the forest for the trees, can you?

Steeler Mafia
12-22-2009, 12:30 PM
[quote="Steeler Mafia":2oo1werz]I don't mean to throw salt on this win, but I have to get this off my chest.

In case some of you missed it, and it appears some of you have, we ran the ball pretty well on the Pack in the 1st quarter, then like always, we abandoned the run all together. It is not just this game, it is all our games this year. Like I said in an earlier post above, I am all for the "if they can't stop it, run it until they do" philosophy. However, when you pass every down, you are not keeping the opposing defense honest. Especially with the empty sets for 3 straight downs before going for another field goal. Absolutelly assinine. At least give them the look that you may run it rather than tip your hand on every snap. It may have worked in this game, but in the long run with other teams, and especially in the cold weather and playoffs, this will kill a drive and ultimately lose more games than win them.

We put up 427 net passing yards, 537 total yards, 3 passing TD's with no INT's and 37 points. All without the benefit of any turnovers or big special teams plays and while mounting a 35 minute time of possession.

Yet your complaining about the offense during the GB game??? THAT is absolutely assinine.

I'm all for a little more balance than what BA has been giving, but not at the expense of the total production and how we can most effectively exploit our opponents defense.

:HeadBanger[/quote:2oo1werz]

Apparently I am not getting through to you. I'm pitching them but you are wiffing with every swing.. I am not complaining about the offense for the Green Bay game. I am complaining about the offense in all our games this year. Yes, we had a spectacular pass attack in Sundays game. Terrific! Do you expect Ben to put up 500 yards passing every week. There were at least 3 drives that I can think of Sunday in the second half were we just did nothing in the red zone. A common place in Steeler football this year. We went empty sets all 3 series and got 0 yards. Why? If you run the ball, you pick up a few yards, you are making 2nd and 3rd downs much more managable. They didn't even try to throw for the sticks. My overall point is that we give up on the running game too early and rely strictly on the pass. This may have been fine on Sunday, and may win some games in early September, but when December rolls around and the cold moves in, you must be able to run the ball. This is not Steeler football and I do not like it. I don't want to be the *Pats or the Colts. I fell in love with this team because we play smash mouth football. You know what the Steelers are going to run but you can't stop it,. Now Arians has us playing like a bunch of panzies. Live and die by the pass. Well we my have lived on Sunday, but we will die more often than not.

Can't see the forest for the trees you say? I say we are cutting off our nose to spite our face.

NWNewell
12-22-2009, 12:35 PM
[quote=NorthCoast][quote="Steeler Mafia":l0yf9n1u]I don't mean to throw salt on this win, but I have to get this off my chest.

:HeadBanger[/quote:l0yf9n1u]

Apparently I am not getting through to you. I'm pitching them but you are wiffing with every swing.. I am not complaining about the offense for the Green Bay game. I am complaining about the offense in all our games this year. Yes, we had a spectacular pass attack in Sundays game. Terrific! Do you expect Ben to put up 500 yards passing every week. There were at least 3 drives that I can think of Sunday in the second half were we just did nothing in the red zone. A common place in Steeler football this year. We went empty sets all 3 series and got 0 yards. Why? If you run the ball, you pick up a few yards, you are making 2nd and 3rd downs much more managable. They didn't even try to throw for the sticks. My overall point is that we give up on the running game too early and rely strictly on the pass. This may have been fine on Sunday, and may win some games in early September, but when December rolls around and the cold moves in, you must be able to run the ball. This is not Steeler football and I do not like it. I don't want to be the *Pats or the Colts. I fell in love with this team because we play smash mouth football. You know what the Steelers are going to run but you can't stop it,. Now Arians has us playing like a bunch of panzies. Live and die by the pass. Well we my have lived on Sunday, but we will die more often than not.

Can't see the forest for the trees you say? I say we are cutting off our nose to spite our face.[/quote:l0yf9n1u]

ikestops85
12-22-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm really not sure what the answer is anymore. If we run the ball in the 4th quarter to try and control the game and it doesn't work Arians is accused of playing turtle ball. If we continue to pass the ball in the 4th quarter and it doesn't work Arians is pounded because he didn't call any runs.

I guess the answer is the ratio between run and pass is correct if we win. Perfect ratio in the GB game and horrible ratio in the Cleveland game.

BURGH86STEEL
12-22-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm really not sure what the answer is anymore. If we run the ball in the 4th quarter to try and control the game and it doesn't work Arians is accused of playing turtle ball. If we continue to pass the ball in the 4th quarter and it doesn't work Arians is pounded because he didn't call any runs.

I guess the answer is the ratio between run and pass is correct if we win. Perfect ratio in the GB game and horrible ratio in the Cleveland game.

No one every agrees 100% of the time with decisions and play calls. All the coaches in the league make bad or questionable decisions. Tomlin would had gotten fired by some fans if the Steelers did not win the Packers game. I did not agree with the decision but I understood why he tried the onside kick. Maybe some fans would not be upset if they understood why coaches make tough decisions. It seems some fans live in a world where they think their decision would had been better. Those same fans have the benefit of hindsight.

It is up to the players to execute what the coaches call. They practices those plays all week/season. Some fans expect things to go smoothly all the time. Even what most people consider the best teams in the league have their struggles. Fans don't like to take into account that the other players get paid too.

Steeler Mafia
12-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Let me ask you all this, since everyone now believes that our offense is magically delicious. We put up 37 point on the Pack. Why could we only manage 6 points against the 4th worst rushing defense in the league? This team was built around the blue collar, hard working men and women of Pittsburgh. Now, thanks to this genius OC (heavy sarcasim) we are trashing that identity and becoming posers to follow in the footsteps of the liberal media accpeted teams we all hated before, (The *Pats, The Colts, the newly inducted Chargers) Now we want to emulate them? Pathetic! But never mind me. You all can continue to hang off of Arian's nut bag all you want. I am not buying in. 1 win in 6 games and things are golden offensively? This guy is killing Steeler football as we have all known and grown to love, but by all means, go ahead and continue your love fest for this walrus looking a$$ clown. The best coming day in the storied Pittsburgh franchise will be the day that this moron is shown the door.

cruzer8
12-22-2009, 03:01 PM
The competition committee keeps making new rules to favor the passing game.

"Steelers" football as a dominant run game is a relic.

"Steelers" football as in winning is what we all want to see. If that means taking advantage of the current rules then that is what we must do.

feltdizz
12-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Let me ask you all this, since everyone now believes that our offense is magically delicious. We put up 37 point on the Pack. Why could we only manage 6 points against the 4th worst rushing defense in the league? This team was built around the blue collar, hard working men and women of Pittsburgh. Now, thanks to this genius OC (heavy sarcasim) we are trashing that identity and becoming posers to follow in the footsteps of the liberal media accpeted teams we all hated before, (The *Pats, The Colts, the newly inducted Chargers) Now we want to emulate them? Pathetic! But never mind me. You all can continue to hang off of Arian's nut bag all you want. I am not buying in. 1 win in 6 games and things are golden offensively? This guy is killing Steeler football as we have all known and grown to love, but by all means, go ahead and continue your love fest for this walrus looking a$$ clown. The best coming day in the storied Pittsburgh franchise will be the day that this moron is shown the door.

No one is hanging on Arians nuts.. everyone just loves seeing Ben put up huge numbers so they can win fantasy games and run around screaming how Ben is just as good as Manning and Brady.

I understand exactly where you are coming from and agree 100%. 500 yards and we were 3 seconds away from losing another game where Ben had great stats. I used to defend Arians because our D was losing late leads but now I see where people are coming from.

The D sucks azzz, we all know this.. but relying on the pass to set up the run is a recipe for disaster IMO..

it's not like we have a gimpy FWP either.. we have 3 healthy RB's and Mend is running hard but besides the Denver game I have yet to see us try to grind out a win and burn clock with him.

Also consider the sacks.. we give up so many sacks it forces us to pass.

feltdizz
12-22-2009, 04:19 PM

Cleveland has a bad run defense.. and with 40 MPH winds and 3 degree weather it begged for running the football.

I think that is why people are scratching their heads..

however it is hard to argue any theory with a D that is coached to give up any 3rd down regardless of the distance. As much as I want to scream run the ball, burn clock.... it really comes down to our D not wanting to make the playoffs..

Ike, Gay, Burnett, Carter and Clark all look like they have no desire to play a day past the last regular season game.

ikestops85
12-22-2009, 04:32 PM

The last thing I think is that our offense is "delicious". Our offense is painfully inconsistent. The question is why? I believe one part of the answer is Arians is not very creative with his play calling. The other part is the offensive players don't execute very well. It seems like in almost every drive someone makes a key mistake, be it a sack, penalty or dropped ball that kills a drive.

From an offensive standpoint the GB game was an abberation. Arians had some nice play calls, Ben didn't throw his one stupid pass for an interception, the receivers didn't let one go through their hands or knock one up in the air for an interception, and we didn't fumble the ball. We still dropped too many balls and had far too many penalties called on us although I still can't believe the Miller offensive interference call.

The GB game shows what this offense is capable of. We have so many playmakers on this team that some don't even get on the field often. Namely, Moore, Parker and Logan. Mendy has turned into what many here thought he would and with Miller, Ward, Holmes and Wallace the receiving corp is filled with possible game breakers. The offensive line has regressed during the 5 game skid but they still aren't as bad as last year.

That leaves Arians and the playcalling. What is glaringly obvious to me is when Ben calls the plays in the hurry up we move the ball and generally score. For some reason during the 5 game skid we rarely had Ben running the hurry up. Again we have to ask why? When your QBs play calls are more effective than the coordinators then I think you have to question why you employee this coordinator.

The easiest change to make in this offense is replacing the coordinator. I'm not positive it will help but I don't see how it could be worse. JMHO.

cruzer8
12-22-2009, 05:13 PM

No one is hanging on Arians nuts.. everyone just loves seeing Ben put up huge numbers so they can win fantasy games and run around screaming how Ben is just as good as Manning and Brady.

I understand exactly where you are coming from and agree 100%. 500 yards and we were 3 seconds away from losing another game where Ben had great stats. I used to defend Arians because our D was losing late leads but now I see where people are coming from.

The D sucks azzz, we all know this.. but relying on the pass to set up the run is a recipe for disaster IMO..

it's not like we have a gimpy FWP either.. we have 3 healthy RB's and Mend is running hard but besides the Denver game I have yet to see us try to grind out a win and burn clock with him.

Yeah, it sure hasn't been successful for the Colts or Patriots.

feltdizz
12-22-2009, 06:29 PM

This is too easy... The Colts are a prime example of failure when the playoffs start..they won a SB when they finally ran the ball.

The Cheats... need I say more.

BURGH86STEEL
12-22-2009, 07:51 PM

This is too easy... The Colts are a prime example of failure when the playoffs start..they won a SB when they finally ran the ball.

The teams that are able to pass are better then the teams that are able to run in the 2009 season. Why is it so hard for people to understand that the league is a passing league now? The rules favor the passing game. More points come out of big plays in the passing game. Most of the teams that run the ball try to cover up for deficiencies at the QB position. The one exception of the top teams are the Saints. Make no mistakes, everything the Saints do is based on their ability to pass.

Running the ball is nice when it is effective. More times then not, it is not consistently effective to win in today's NFL. I think it is easier to shut down a run game then it is a passing game. The passing game is a more effective option when teams have those weapons at their disposal.

Coaches usually have a decision to make based on the players they have. Will they slightly favor the run or the pass? The Steelers favor the pass. I believe the practices lean more towards the passing game. Who can blame them when they have the weapons at QB and WR's?

I don't care how the Steelers win. There is more then one way to win SB's. The people that are set on arguing run/pass point think their way is better. One thing is certain, the Steelers won't win anymore SB's if they continue to play like this on defense heading into the future.

stlrz d
12-22-2009, 10:23 PM

The teams that are able to pass are better then the teams that are able to run in the 2009 season. Why is it so hard for people to understand that the league is a passing league now? The rules favor the passing game. More points come out of big plays in the passing game. Most of the teams that run the ball try to cover up for deficiencies at the QB position. The one exception of the top teams are the Saints. Make no mistakes, everything the Saints do is based on their ability to pass.

Running the ball is nice when it is effective. More times then not, it is not consistently effective to win in today's NFL. I think it is easier to shut down a run game then it is a passing game. The passing game is a more effective option when teams have those weapons at their disposal.

Coaches usually have a decision to make based on the players they have. Will they slightly favor the run or the pass? The Steelers favor the pass. I believe the practices lean more towards the passing game. Who can blame them when they have the weapons at QB and WR's?

I don't care how the Steelers win. There is more then one way to win SB's. The people that are set on arguing run/pass point think their way is better. One thing is certain, the Steelers won't win anymore SB's if they continue to play like this on defense heading into the future.

x2

feltdizz
12-23-2009, 02:55 AM

I think we all know the league favors the pass... it's more exciting so the rules favor it.

But when our D is as bad as it is.. ball control is key and less possessions for the other team maximize our chances to win.

I respectfully disagree though on 2009 as proof the pass is the way to go...
you cannot use one season by the Saints as proof, nor use the Colts as proof when they look like a disaster in the playoffs because they abandoned the run until their SB run...

Pass happy teams tend to make every game a shootout... The Colts are undefeated but they have also trailed in the fourth quarter 6 to 7 times this year..

they are getting the lucky bounces and the great nut up call of billicheat helped as well but I wouldn't be surprised if they leave the playoffs early.

you need balance in this league because the Pats season the other year is not going to be repeated.. not the undefeated aspect but the 50 passes every game.

stlrz d
12-23-2009, 09:51 AM
This isn't the first game we led in ToP while throwing more than running.

Final Score 36 Final Score 37
Time of Possession 24:38 Time of Possession 35:22

SteelAbility
12-23-2009, 09:56 AM
At 10.9 YPA (even with all the attempts), I can't argue with abandoning the run. 8 YPA is normally dominant.

feltdizz
12-23-2009, 11:48 AM

understood... but I still think balance is needed in a full season of football...
and even with this TOP we needed a miracle... I wonder if we run more in the second half do we limit GB's possessions in the 4th? If we run a few times in the redzone do we get a TD and 3 more minutes off the clock instead of 2 incompletions and a FG? Does a few more rushes with Mend make the TOP 38 minutes to 22 and we win by 7?

while fumbles happen with runs... I think the possibility of miscommunication with WR's, players slipping, INT's, sacks, incompletions etc.... decrease your chances for success over a season.

Now if we had 100% execution on every play then passing would be ideal 50 times a game. However in football that rarely happens..

I'm not saying we need to run more than pass.. we paid Ben tons of money for a reason..
but i think if we went back in time this season...or if Arians wasn't our OC.. we win 3 more games because we aren't lining up 4 wide on 3rd and 1 followed by a punt.

Last year we had no running game and we committed to the run much more than necessary... this year we have a good running back and we aren't getting him enough touches IMO.

BURGH86STEEL
12-23-2009, 03:44 PM

understood... but I still think balance is needed in a full season of football...
and even with this TOP we needed a miracle... I wonder if we run more in the second half do we limit GB's possessions in the 4th? If we run a few times in the redzone do we get a TD and 3 more minutes off the clock instead of 2 incompletions and a FG? Does a few more rushes with Mend make the TOP 38 minutes to 22 and we win by 7?

while fumbles happen with runs... I think the possibility of miscommunication with WR's, players slipping, INT's, sacks, incompletions etc.... decrease your chances for success over a season.

Now if we had 100% execution on every play then passing would be ideal 50 times a game. However in football that rarely happens..

I'm not saying we need to run more than pass.. we paid Ben tons of money for a reason..
but i think if we went back in time this season...or if Arians wasn't our OC.. we win 3 more games because we aren't lining up 4 wide on 3rd and 1 followed by a punt.

Last year we had no running game and we committed to the run much more than necessary... this year we have a good running back and we aren't getting him enough touches IMO.

Your opinion is that you think balance is needed. There is no doubt that in an ideal situation, every team will be balanced. What is your idea of balance? 50/50?

It is nice to have balance. How many teams can maintain that balance over the coarse of a season and win? I don't believe there are many.

Running the ball a few more time would not had made any difference against GB. Especially, when all they needed were a few plays to score. GB had an opportunity to attempt to run out the clock but they did not. Scoring is not easy in the NFL. Best to take advantage of those opportunities when they are there.

Let's be honest, the Steelers run game has been awful in the red zone. They have also been pretty bad running the ball in short yardage situations.

The run game was going no where fast against the Packers. When the Steelers had consistent success with the run this season, they stuck with it longer. There are other factors. Penalties and mistakes in some games killed more rush opportunities. The offense is 3rd in the league in TOP. That is without the help of the defense creating turnovers.

The bottom line is that there is more then one way to win in the NFL. Teams have won leaning on pass or run. What ever strategy those teams used on offense, they played good defense when necessary. That is something this team is not getting this year. Rushing the ball more often would not help this defense. They are not getting a consistent pass rush and giving up to many big plays.

RuthlessBurgher
12-23-2009, 04:05 PM
I don't think the goal should be 50-50 for every game. Certainly, we should have thrown more often against the Packers, to take advantage of some of the injuries to their secondary. Same is true this week against Baltimore...we should pass more against their depleted DB's. But the week before the Packers game, when we played the Browns, all indications screamed for a successful run game (injuries up the middle at each level of their defense...Shaun Rogers, D'Qwell Jackson, Brodney Pool) and an unsuccessfull pass game (extreme cold and high winds). Run more when you are up...pass more when you are behind. Things should come close to evening themselves out in the long run. One major issue we all have it with formations that indicate immediately to the defense "WE ARE PASSING!!!" (shotgun empty backfield) or "WE ARE RUNNING!!!" (triple TE heavy package). We should be able to run or throw out of every formation, so that the defense is always on its heels, not knowing what to expect. An effective run game can help our passing game (which we know by looking at our insanely good numbers when using the play-action pass) but that threat is eliminated when there are no RB's in the backfield.

SteelAbility
12-23-2009, 04:06 PM

This can be a bit deceiving. Our D has been susceptible to big plays which reduces the other teams' TOP.

feltdizz
12-23-2009, 04:29 PM
We are 7-7 this year and we abandoned the run a ton in 5 of our losses. If we were 10-4 or 11-3 then I think the pass happy crowd would have a point.
However when you lose to 3 of the worst teams in football
struggle against the Lions...
Watch Mendenhall run for a 50 yard gain against Chicago and Never touch the ball again..
Have Mendenhall average 5 yards a pop yet only have one or two game with over 25 touches

and also have a 3rd string QB with one NFL pass almost beat the ravens at home when you rely on your running game to protect Dixon...

I don't know... I think it shows why running the ball helps win games and is needed to balance out a game. In the Denver game Mendenhall was killing them.. yet some seem to believe we should still pass more because the rules favor the pass? No..

I'm also not sure our ground game is that bad in the red zone... I think we just ignore it in favor of the pass.

feltdizz
12-23-2009, 04:50 PM
I just thought of this... I watched a Dave Chappelle interview on why he walked away from 50 mill... He said as soon as he got the deal the jokes that made him famous all of a sudden weren't funny enough and everyone wanted to change the show.

I think the same thing is happening to our Offense with Arians and Ben... We didn't pay Ben because he won games throwing 40+ in his first 5 years... So why would Arians try to over indulge on the passing?

Just sayin... It's like paying FWP and then asking him to catch 40 passes or running him until the wheels fall off when he was most successful as a situational RB with 15 to 20 carries a game.

NorthCoast
12-23-2009, 05:03 PM
With the current condition of our WR corp we should see more running....unless it just isn't in our blood anymore. RBs are built to take a lot of hits, WRs not so much (at least not 40 times a game).

Steeler Mafia
12-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Your opinion is that you think balance is needed. There is no doubt that in an ideal situation, every team will be balanced. What is your idea of balance? 50/50?

Right now we are about 94/6 (pass vs run). I wouldn't be looking for a 50/50 split, but I would settle for at least 70/30 or 60/40. That, in my mind would give us balance, at least from an offensive look standpoint. While I am at it, let me say....PLEASE, NO MORE EMPTY SETS IN THE REDZONE!!!!!!!