PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison Warming Up?

BradshawsHairdresser
12-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Looks like our long-snapper is done for the season.

Hope there's someone decent available.

flippy
12-21-2009, 01:02 PM
James Harrison needs to focus on playing LB. He's not playing at the same level as last year.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-21-2009, 01:09 PM
James Harrison needs to focus on playing LB. He's not playing at the same level as last year.

I was kidding...after his last attempt at long-snapping, I don't want to ever see Harrison
doing it again.

His production has fallen off dramatically, especially in the second half of this season. Maybe the big contract wasn't such a good thing for Silverback's play.

flippy
12-21-2009, 01:13 PM

I was kidding...after his last attempt at long-snapping, I don't want to ever see Harrison
doing it again.

His production has fallen off dramatically, especially in the second half of this season. Maybe the big contract wasn't such a good thing for Silverback's play.

I knew you were kidding. I just felt it was an appropriate opportunity to call out Harrison. If I were an opposing offense, I'd try to run toward his side of the field all day.

And to top it off, he's not getting pressure on the QB which we desparately need.

RussBII
12-21-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm telling you guys, I'm starting to blame just about everything on conditioning...

Camp Cupcake was a mistake.

Shoe
12-21-2009, 01:28 PM

:shock: Are you really questioning Silverback's play? Do you see him getting held at least a couple times a game? You can't really compare him to '08, because no one can live up to that standard (Lawrence Taylor's typical year would seem "disappointing" by comparison). The guy has double-digit sacks, and plays as tough vs. the run as any OLB in the league.

NWNewell
12-21-2009, 01:41 PM
I'm telling you guys, I'm starting to blame just about everything on conditioning...

Or age.... ?

But seriously, what do you guys want? He was DPOY last year. You expect him to have that kind of production every year?? You don't think a lot of teams are scheming to try and neutralized him?

He had 101 tackles, and 16 sacks, 7 forced fumbles, and 1 INT last year.

This year he is projected to have 81 tackles, 11 sacks, and 5 forced fumbles.

Another DPOY candidate? No, but still a strong year.

Lets be realistic.

RKSteel
12-21-2009, 01:55 PM
When an Olineman can wrap his arm around Harrison's neck and never get called for holding, this frees up a player that may have helped double JH to block someone else.

Oviedo
12-21-2009, 01:59 PM
When an Olineman can wrap his arm around Harrison's neck and never get called for holding, this frees up a player that may have helped double JH to block someone else.

Exactly. The lack of calls on holding is an embrassment in the league. It's becoming hockey in the 1990s.

steelblood
12-21-2009, 02:23 PM

Exactly. The lack of calls on holding is an embrassment in the league. It's becoming hockey in the 1990s.

That was the weirdest thing about the game. Their Oline held as much, if not more, than ours and never got called while we had more offensive holding penalties in a game than we've had in years. Conversely, they had more defensive holding penalties than I've seen in quite some time. It was very weird.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-21-2009, 03:24 PM

:shock: Are you really questioning Silverback's play? Do you see him getting held at least a couple times a game? You can't really compare him to '08, because no one can live up to that standard (Lawrence Taylor's typical year would seem "disappointing" by comparison). The guy has double-digit sacks, and plays as tough vs. the run as any OLB in the league.

I saw him get held a couple of times yesterday. I also saw him not even close to making a play a bunch of times. What was his stat line? 0 tackles, 1 assist? Our D is designed for the LBs to make plays, and that's all he could muster? Yes, I'm questioning his play...we need more from 92.

He did make a nice breakup on that pass over the middle late in the game.

SteelAbility
12-21-2009, 04:19 PM

I saw him get held a couple of times yesterday. I also saw him not even close to making a play a bunch of times. What was his stat line? 0 tackles, 1 assist? Our D is designed for the LBs to make plays, and that's all he could muster? Yes, I'm questioning his play...we need more from 92.

He did make a nice breakup on that pass over the middle late in the game.

One of those holds was a non-call on a would-be sure sack on the first GB TD pass.

steelsnis
12-21-2009, 04:42 PM

I don't buy that.

I have a hard time attributing this season's woes on a light training camp. Two years ago the guys were absolutely spent at the end of the season after Tomlin worked them too hard early on.

A bunch of bad special teams plays and some key injuries have led to this point, not a lighter than normal training camp.

Snatch98
12-21-2009, 06:07 PM

Dude is getting mugged play after play. I don't believe his play as dropped, he just can't pin his ears back as much this year because of the poor play in our defensive secondary. The dude is still beasting it. He gets held more than any player I've ever watched and I've watched a lot thanks to NFL Sunday Ticket.

flippy
12-21-2009, 06:14 PM
I've noticed James Harrison not make plays when the ball is run his way. And the overall pressure by the defense is lacking.

He can play better.

The pressure is a team issue. And there's many that are accountable. We seem to only be able to get pressure when we blitz. And even then we don't always get to the QB quickly.

Snatch98
12-21-2009, 06:24 PM
I've noticed James Harrison not make plays when the ball is run his way. And the overall pressure by the defense is lacking.

He can play better.

The pressure is a team issue. And there's many that are accountable. We seem to only be able to get pressure when we blitz. And even then we don't always get to the QB quickly.

Pressure out of the 3-4 is blitzing and teams don't usually run at Harrison. I don't know. Everyone could play better but I certainly don't think you can specifically call out Harrison. He's still making plays and changing the way the opposition plays, not to mention he's held just about everytime he rushes the QB.

NorthCoast
12-21-2009, 07:00 PM
OK, now that you guys brought it up I need an answer. In a 3-4 scheme, is rushing 4 considered a blitz? Reason I ask is that several times last night the announcers mentioned that we did not blitz on GB's empty set. But we did rush 4, so the question is, was that a blitz or just a 4-3 variant?

BradshawsHairdresser
12-21-2009, 07:07 PM

He can play better.

$$$$

The secondary has been shoddy, that's for sure, but if we get even a little pressure on the QB, they don't look nearly so bad. In that game yesterday, Rogers had all day to throw. I don't care if you have two Darrell Revises and two Troy Polamalus back there, they're going to give up a lot of completions, yards and points if you give a QB like Rogers that kind of time.

flippy
12-21-2009, 09:25 PM

He can play better.

Pressure out of the 3-4 is blitzing and teams don't usually run at Harrison. I don't know. Everyone could play better but I certainly don't think you can specifically call out Harrison. He's still making plays and changing the way the opposition plays, not to mention he's held just about everytime he rushes the QB.

1:58 of this video:

[youtube:2p4c0rn3]iXoDyp3cqqs[/youtube:2p4c0rn3]

Very similar to last week versus Cleveland on a couple plays. Teams will see the tape and more runs are headed James' way.

He's spectacular chasing down back from the backside, but you can run at him.

1:12 of this video shows a big gap to the Harrison side for a QB sneak, although not as much his fault.

[youtube:2p4c0rn3]uIpqS2mCl_A[/youtube:2p4c0rn3]

stlrz d
12-21-2009, 10:27 PM
OK, now that you guys brought it up I need an answer. In a 3-4 scheme, is rushing 4 considered a blitz? Reason I ask is that several times last night the announcers mentioned that we did not blitz on GB's empty set. But we did rush 4, so the question is, was that a blitz or just a 4-3 variant?

No. A blitz is typically 5 or more pass rushers no matter the scheme.

Not having Aaron Smith is hurting our sacks and pressure. Have any of you noticed how we seem to get there just as, or just after, the ball is passed? Smitty helps push that pocket, the QB has to move and a LB is there to greet the QB.

Smitty's replacements have done well against the run but not so much against the pass.