PDA

View Full Version : Control Our Own Destiny?

Flasteel
12-21-2009, 12:45 AM
It could be quite possible after next week. We need 4 of the 6 teams currently ahead of us to lose once and/or the Rats to lose out. Here are their schedules:

Jags - @NE and @Clev. - Very good chance they lose next week.
Rats - Us and @Oak. - Quite possible that the Raiders can get 'em...but dicey at best.
Jets - @Indy and Cincy - Almost guaranteed they lose 1 of those
Texans - @Miami and NE - Again...almost a certainty they lose 1.
Broncos - @Phil and KC - Very good chance they lose next week in Phily. KC is a possibility.

I like the chances of every single game that needs to go our way next week.

Take care of business against Miami and it won't matter what happens between Baltimore and KC. They would be battling one of those other teams for the other wild card spot.

I like our chances! :tt1

pfelix73
12-21-2009, 12:55 AM
I'll go out on a limb like I did last week. IF we win the final 2, we're in to the post season. We can do it. It starts with Baltimore.

:tt1

papillon
12-21-2009, 12:57 AM
It could be quite possible after next week. We need 4 of the 6 teams currently ahead of us to lose once and/or the Rats to lose out. Here are their schedules:

Rats - Us and @Oak. - Quite possible that the Raiders can get 'em...but dicey at best.
Broncos - @Phil and KC - Very good chance they lose next week in Phily. KC is a possibility.

Take care of business against Miami and it won't matter what happens between Baltimore and KC. They would be battling one of those other teams for the other wild card spot.

Are you certain of this? I thought if there are three teams with the same record the tie-breakers are a little different and in those three team scenarions the Steelers need the Ravens to lose out. I'm not sure, but, I thought that was what I heard or read somewhere.

Pappy

Flasteel
12-21-2009, 01:10 AM

Are you certain of this? I thought if there are three teams with the same record the tie-breakers are a little different and in those three team scenarions the Steelers need the Ravens to lose out. I'm not sure, but, I thought that was what I heard or read somewhere.

Pappy

If we win out and each of those teams lose one game there will be no need for a tie breaker...we have a better record than all of them. We beat Tennessee and Denver based on head to head. The only other team which could match our record is Baltimore and they would edge us out for the 5th seed if they win at Oakland based on divisional record.

Starlifter
12-21-2009, 01:37 AM
the result of a 5 game skid is there are simply too many variables to consider. all i know right now is we must beat baltimore next week. entering week 17 we'll have the picture as to what has to happen.

Slapstick
12-21-2009, 10:44 AM
It kind of sucks that the Steelers' best chance of getting into the playoffs is Baltimore getting in before us...

Jooser
12-21-2009, 10:49 AM
I think we'll handle the Rats next week. I like our chances, IF and only IF, the defense finally shows up to play a little bit of football.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-21-2009, 11:07 AM

Let me simplify. At the end of next weekend, we could be controlling our own destiny.
Steelers beat ravens.
Broncos lose to Eagles.
Jets lose to Colts.
Jags lose to Patriots.
Dolphins beat Texans.

Steelers beat Dolphins...They are in #6.

Same scenario with Ravens losing against Steelers & Raiders...Steelers beat Dolphins for #5 seed.

Overall picture...Steelers need to win out. Broncos, Jags, & Jets have to lose 1 more each. Very possible especially this week.

calmkiller
12-21-2009, 11:15 AM
That isn't exactly correct. Ravens need to lose out because they have a better conference record. That will be the tie breaker for us with them. Broncos also need to lose out. Those are the two teams that we will be battling with. We win out they lose out we are in.

See http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 58781.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_658781.html)

Subscribe to our publications

The AFC playoff picture, with a half-dozen 7-7 teams, is as muddled as can be with two weeks to go. Here is where to start when figuring out playoff scenarios for the Steelers: the team must win the final two games, starting with Baltimore on Sunday.

Since tiebreakers are first settled within divisions the most likely path to the playoffs for the Steelers is this one: win their final two games and hope the Ravens also lose their regular-season finale at Oakland and finish 8-8. The Ravens hold the tiebreaker over the Steelers by virtue of a better division record.

If both teams finish 9-7, the Steelers need a lot to happen, including a late-season collapse by the Broncos (8-6) to make the playoffs.

Click here to see the official NFL playoff scenarios if the season ended today

Flasteel
12-21-2009, 11:16 AM

Let me simplify. At the end of next weekend, we could be controlling our own destiny.
Steelers beat ravens.
Broncos lose to Eagles.
Jets lose to Colts.
Jags lose to Patriots.
Dolphins beat Texans.

Same scenario with Ravens losing against Steelers & Raiders...Steelers beat Dolphins for #5 seed.

Overall picture...Steelers need to win out. Broncos, Jags, & Jets have to lose 1 more each. Very possible especially this week.

Please don't tell me the Planet needed to have my simple explanation simplified. :D

NWNewell
12-21-2009, 11:20 AM

Steelers beat ravens.
Broncos lose to Eagles.
Jets lose to Colts.
Jags lose to Patriots.
Dolphins beat Texans.

I thought we lost all tie breakers, so the Broncos at 8-6 have to lose two more or the Ravens lose two more (against us and their last game of the year)????

Flasteel
12-21-2009, 11:21 AM
That isn't exactly correct. Ravens need to lose out because they have a better conference record. That will be the tie breaker for us with them. Broncos also need to lose out. Those are the two teams that we will be battling with. We win out they lose out we are in.

Wrong.
Denver is 8-6. With one more loss they can be at bet 9-7. If we win out and finish tied with them, we win due to the head-to-head tie-breaker. We would lose any tie-breaker with Baltimore based on division record, but if each of those other 7-7 teams vying for a spot, lose just one game then it won't matter what happens with Baltimore and Oakland in the last week. If you look at the schedule of each of those teams, a loss seems very likely for each of them.

calmkiller
12-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Okay you seem to be correct. Here are the rules. If there were only two teams fighting for the spot. But we are currently fighting more than two teams correct?

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

NFL Tiebreaking Procedures

The six postseason participants from each conference are seeded as follows:

1. The division champion with the best record.
2. The division champion with the second-best record.
3. The division champion with the third-best record.
4. The division champion with the fourth-best record.
5. The Wild Card club with the best record.
6. The Wild Card club with the second-best record.

The following procedures will be used to break standings ties for postseason playoffs and to determine regular-season schedules.

NOTE: Tie games count as one-half win and one-half loss for both clubs.
TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.
Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in common games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
12. Coin toss

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
12. Coin toss

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
4. Strength of victory.
5. Strength of schedule.
6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best net points in conference games.
9. Best net points in all games.
10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
11. Coin toss.

But we are fighting more then 2 teams so this would apply to us correct?

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
9. Best net points in conference games.
12. Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

Flasteel
12-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Okay you seem to be correct. Here are the rules. If there were only two teams fighting for the spot. But we are currently fighting more than two teams correct?

The following procedures will be used to break standings ties for postseason playoffs and to determine regular-season schedules.

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.
Two Clubs

5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
12. Coin toss

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
12. Coin toss

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

Two Clubs

4. Strength of victory.
5. Strength of schedule.
6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
11. Coin toss.

But we are fighting more then 2 teams so this would apply to use correct?

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
12. Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

You know, you could be right CK...I may stand corrected. In a 3-way tie with Denver and Baltimore, it looks like the division tie-breaker is actually determined to weed teams out befor the head-to-head...hard to tell. BUT Denver was beat by both us and Baltimore, so in a 3-way tie, if one of those teams has swept the other two or has lost to the other two, the head-to-head matchup would be the determining factor...I think.

Holy crap this is complicated.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-21-2009, 11:44 AM

See http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 58781.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_658781.html)

Subscribe to our publications

The AFC playoff picture, with a half-dozen 7-7 teams, is as muddled as can be with two weeks to go. Here is where to start when figuring out playoff scenarios for the Steelers: the team must win the final two games, starting with Baltimore on Sunday.

Since tiebreakers are first settled within divisions the most likely path to the playoffs for the Steelers is this one: win their final two games and hope the Ravens also lose their regular-season finale at Oakland and finish 8-8. The Ravens hold the tiebreaker over the Steelers by virtue of a better division record.

If both teams finish 9-7, the Steelers need a lot to happen, including a late-season collapse by the Broncos (8-6) to make the playoffs.

Click here to see the official NFL playoff scenarios if the season ended today

I'm not sure who you are talking to so I will respond. the Ravens & Broncos do not have to lose out. If we beat the Ravens and they lose to the Raiders, we could get to the 5 seed in my scenario. Even if the Tiatns win out...We would be against the Broncos & Tiatns and we own the head to head sweep. If the Ravens beat the Raiders, we would be the #6 seed because of the above. We no longer need "ANY" team to drop 2 to get to the post season. We only need the Ravens to drop 2 to get to #5 seed.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-21-2009, 11:50 AM

Two Clubs

5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
12. Coin toss

Three or More Clubs

5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
12. Coin toss

Two Clubs

4. Strength of victory.
5. Strength of schedule.
11. Coin toss.

But we are fighting more then 2 teams so this would apply to use correct?

Three or More Clubs

5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
12. Coin toss

You know, you could be right CK...I may stand corrected. In a 3-way tie with Denver and Baltimore, it looks like the division tie-breaker is actually determined to weed teams out befor the head-to-head...hard to tell. BUT Denver was beat by both us and Baltimore, so in a 3-way tie, if one of those teams has swept the other two or has lost to the other two, the head-to-head matchup would be the determining factor...I think.

If the Ravens, Broncos, and Steelers all end up 9-7...The #5 seed will be the Ravens against the Broncos. We get eliminated because we would be 3rd in the division behind the Ravens. Ravens #5 because they own the head to head against the Broncos. Now, it starts over. #6 would be Steelers against Broncos. We go #6 because we own the head to head. Hope that helps.

Flasteel
12-21-2009, 11:59 AM

If the Ravens, Broncos, and Steelers all end up 9-7...The #5 seed will be the Ravens against the Broncos. We get eliminated because we would be 3rd in the division behind the Ravens. Ravens #5 because they own the head to head against the Broncos. Now, it starts over. #6 would be Steelers against Broncos. We go #6 because we own the head to head. Hope that helps.

I think you nailed it JPN. The tie-breaker would first be applied to the 5th seed, then the 2 remaining teams would vie for the 6th seed. Head-to-head wins it both times.

calmkiller
12-21-2009, 12:43 PM
This is assuming that it is us, Denver and Baltimore. What if Tennessee or someone else is also 9-7. What does that do for us?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-21-2009, 01:16 PM
This is assuming that it is us, Denver and Baltimore. What if Tennessee or someone else is also 9-7. What does that do for us?
Maybe it is easier if we look at who can't finish 9-7. The Jags & Jets can't finish 9-7.
The Texans can finish 9-7 as long as the Titans equal them. If the Ravens, Steelers ,Titans ,Texans ,& Broncos all finish 9-7 Steelers are the 6th seed.

SteelAbility
12-21-2009, 01:24 PM

I did a comprehensive on another post but will put it here to keep you from jumping around ...

Here are the Wild Card contenders in order of position RIGHT NOW (after 14 games):

BAL 8-6 (6-4 Conf)
DEN 8-6 (6-5 Conf)
JAX 7-7 (6-4 Conf)
MIA 7-7 (5-5 Conf)
NYJ 7-7 (5-5 Conf)
PIT 7-7 (4-6 Conf)
HOU 7-7 (4-6 Conf)
TEN 7-7 (4-7 Conf)

If we win out then we knock out MIA who is above us in that list. This means that if we, DEN and BAL all finish 9-7, then we can tolerate anyone below us in the above list (with the possible exception of HOU as I'm not sure whether or not "common opponents" would apply there) to finish 9-7.

This means we need BOTH JAX and the NYJ to each drop at least one.

Root against the red and for the green with ONE exception ... root for MIA over HOU as that would eliminate any doubt whatsoever of common opponents biting us with HOU.

Flasteel
12-21-2009, 01:36 PM

I did a comprehensive on another post but will put it here to keep you from jumping around ...

Here are the Wild Card contenders in order of position RIGHT NOW (after 14 games):

BAL 8-6 (6-4 Conf)
DEN 8-6 (6-5 Conf)
JAX 7-7 (6-4 Conf)
MIA 7-7 (5-5 Conf)
NYJ 7-7 (5-5 Conf)
PIT 7-7 (4-6 Conf)
HOU 7-7 (4-6 Conf)
TEN 7-7 (4-7 Conf)

If we win out then we knock out MIA who is above us in that list. This means that if we, DEN and BAL all finish 9-7, then we can tolerate anyone BELOW us in the above list (with the possible exception of HOU as I'm not sure whether or not "common opponents" would apply there) to finish 9-7.

We NEED to have Jax, NYJ AND both Den, & Hou to lose one more time. If the Broncos don't lose one, they are 10-6 and obviously in. If the Texans don't lose, they beat us in common opponents (3-1 to 1-3).

The schedule favors us to a tremendous degree. As a matter of fact, I'd venture to say that in every game we need to break our way next week, Vegas will favor us. If that comes to fruition, We will be in with a win at Miami no matter what happens between Baltimore @ Oakland in week 17.

It is time to unleash hell.
:shock:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-21-2009, 01:46 PM

BAL 8-6 (6-4 Conf)
DEN 8-6 (6-5 Conf)
JAX 7-7 (6-4 Conf)
MIA 7-7 (5-5 Conf)
NYJ 7-7 (5-5 Conf)
PIT 7-7 (4-6 Conf)
HOU 7-7 (4-6 Conf)
TEN 7-7 (4-7 Conf)

If we win out then we knock out MIA who is above us in that list. This means that if we, DEN and BAL all finish 9-7, then we can tolerate anyone BELOW us in the above list (with the possible exception of HOU as I'm not sure whether or not "common opponents" would apply there) to finish 9-7.

We NEED to have Jax, NYJ AND both Den, & Hou to lose one more time. If the Broncos don't lose one, they are 10-6 and obviously in. If the Texans don't lose, they beat us in common opponents (3-1 to 1-3).

The schedule favors us to a tremendous degree. As a matter of fact, I'd venture to say that in every game we need to break our way next week, Vegas will favor us. If that comes to fruition, We will be in with a win at Miami no matter what happens between Baltimore @ Oakland in week 17.

Texans only have to lose 1 if the Titans lose 1.

Flasteel
12-21-2009, 08:07 PM

BAL 8-6 (6-4 Conf)
DEN 8-6 (6-5 Conf)
JAX 7-7 (6-4 Conf)
MIA 7-7 (5-5 Conf)
NYJ 7-7 (5-5 Conf)
PIT 7-7 (4-6 Conf)
HOU 7-7 (4-6 Conf)
TEN 7-7 (4-7 Conf)

Texans only have to lose 1 if the Titans lose 1.

In a two team race, we'd lose the tie-breaker with Houston based on common games, but in a 3-way tie-breaker (such as with Denver) they are eliminated based on their 1-5 division record. I didn't know this until after I posted my above comment earlier.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-22-2009, 10:15 AM
In a two team race, we'd lose the tie-breaker with Houston based on common games, but in a 3-way tie-breaker (such as with Denver) they are eliminated based on their 1-5 division record. I didn't know this until after I posted my above comment earlier.

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying. Division record only is used when like teams from division are in wild card pool.

If the Titans & Jags lose but the Texans don't that puts the Texans at 9-7...2nd in the division. If the Broncos(Loss to Eagles),Ravens,Steelers, & Texans are all 9-7...The Steelers don't get in. It would be the Ravens, Broncos, & Texans for #5. (The "division record" is used here to eliminate the Steelers. Only one team from a division is used in the seeding.) Texans eliminated because of conference record. It reverts back to head to head...Ravens go because of head to head. Then it would be the Steelers, Broncos, & Texans for #6. Broncos go #6 because of conference record over the Steelers & Texans.

If the Jags lose & the Titans & Texans both finish 9-7. That puts the Broncos, Ravens, Steelers, Titans, & Texans at 9-7. Division record applied eliminates the Steelers & Texans. So it is Ravens, Titans, & Broncos for #5. Titans eliminated because of division record. reverts back to head to head...Ravens go because of head to head. Now it's the Broncos, Steelers, & Titans for #6 because Texans eliminated in division tie breaker. Steelers own head to head sweep over Broncos & Titans so Steelers go #6.

As long as the Titans equal the Texans at 9-7...The Titans will eliminate the Texans in the wild card seeding until the Titans go. So if the Titans lose the Texans need to lose too. When it goes to common games with 3 or more clubs...All three clubs need commons games. One team doesn't eliminate the other because they only have 4 common games.

SteelAbility
12-22-2009, 10:34 AM

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying. Division record only is used when like teams from division are in wild card pool.

If the Titans & Jags lose but the Texans don't that puts the Texans at 9-7...2nd in the division. If the Broncos(Loss to Eagles),Ravens,Steelers, & Texans are all 9-7...The Steelers don't get in. It would be the Ravens, Broncos, & Texans for #5. (The "division record" is used here to eliminate the Steelers. Only one team from a division is used in the seeding.) Texans eliminated because of conference record. It reverts back to head to head...Ravens go because of head to head. Then it would be the Steelers, Broncos, & Texans for #6. Broncos go #6 because of conference record over the Steelers & Texans.

If the Jags lose & the Titans & Texans both finish 9-7. That puts the Broncos, Ravens, Steelers, Titans, & Texans at 9-7. Division record applied eliminates the Steelers & Texans. So it is Ravens, Titans, & Broncos for #5. Titans eliminated because of division record. reverts back to head to head...Ravens go because of head to head. Now it's the Broncos, Steelers, & Titans for #6 because Texans eliminated in division tie breaker. Steelers own head to head sweep over Broncos & Titans so Steelers go #6.

As long as the Titans equal the Texans at 9-7...The Titans will eliminate the Texans in the wild card seeding until the Titans go. So if the Titans lose the Texans need to lose too. When it goes to common games with 3 or more clubs...All three clubs need commons games. One team doesn't eliminate the other because they only have 4 common games.

Very well put. A HUGE bonus would be TEN over SD. It keeps alive our protection against HOU. This is the Friday night game, before all the others. TEN closes out with SEA, so a TEN win on Friday virtual seals that protection.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-22-2009, 10:43 AM

Very well put. A HUGE bonus would be TEN over SD. It keeps alive our protection against HOU. This is the Friday night game, before all the others. TEN closes out with SEA, so a TEN win on Friday virtual seals that protection.
A TEN win would be big. TEN finishing 9-7 will not hurt us...Only help us.

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
12-22-2009, 05:43 PM
from the PG

We have to assume the Steelers finish the season 9-7 or there would be no reason to do this. That would eliminate Miami and reduce Baltimore to 9-7 at best. The Jets must play both the Colts and Bengals; New York is likely to lose one and miss out. Jacksonville has to finish at New England and at Cleveland and the Jaguars also are likely to lose at least one and be done.

That would leave Tennessee, Houston, Baltimore and Denver. The Steelers would win tiebreakers over both Tennessee and Houston.

So, it could readily come down to Baltimore and Denver. If those two and the Steelers finish tied at 9-7, the Steelers and Ravens would earn the two wildcard playoff spots. In that scenario, the NFL would break the tie between the Steelers and Ravens first, because they reside in the same division. The Ravens would advance, based on their better division record.

Then, they would pit the Ravens against the Broncos and Baltimore would win because the Ravens beat Denver. The NFL would then break the tie between the Steelers and Broncos for the final playoff spot, and Denver would lose out because they lost to the Steelers this season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09356/10 ... z0aSLkDzN6 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09356/1022748-66.stm#ixzz0aSLkDzN6)

I believe that we are in if we win, that's the most important part and heck who knows that game on Sunday and the possible return of Troy might be just the thing to light the fires.