PDA

View Full Version : polamalu has to play next week

lambertslunatics
12-20-2009, 11:32 PM
Baltimore has a game on us and as of now owns the tie breaker. Miami we could concievebly lose to and still make the playoffs. Next week is for the 6th spot. we have to have troy, aaron smith too. just have to have them.

JAR
12-20-2009, 11:34 PM
Baltimore has a game on us and as of now owns the tie breaker. Miami we could concievebly lose to and still make the playoffs. Next week is for the 6th spot. we have to have troy, aaron smith too. just have to have them.

Forget Smith, he's on IR

papillon
12-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Polamalu won't play until Miami at the earliest. Flacco is struggling a bit this year and we seem to be able to get pressure on him to rattle him. The Steelers can win this game without Troy, they'll need good Ben again, but they can do it.

Pappy

Lebsteel
12-21-2009, 12:03 AM
I was thinking the same thing. If Troy played next week, would he be at only 80%? That is about 100% better than Tyrone Carter! C'mon Troy, we need ya man!

TCB
12-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Cold weather - Horrible field. Sounds like Troy better sit this one out.

I would be more surprised to see him play than to not see him play.

MeetJoeGreene
12-21-2009, 12:25 PM
I think Troy would be the difference maker in this game.

Without him, I don't think we win.

NW Steeler
12-21-2009, 12:40 PM
I would love to see Troy play, but it sounds like he won't. We can beat Baltimore without Troy. We nearly beat them in Baltimore without Ben. But something tells me there will be more scoring by both teams in this game.

:ratsuck

MicroBioSteel
12-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Anyone calling for Troy to come back early is simply living in the moment and being short sighted. We can beat the Ravens without him. We can NOT beat pass happy playoff teams the likes of Indy and San Diego without him.

If he rushes back too early and tweaks the injury we may as well just put him on IR.

Let me remind you we are playing to win hardware not simply make the playoffs. We have a higher standard around here.

Shoe
12-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Anyone calling for Troy to come back early is simply living in the moment and being short sighted. We can beat the Ravens without him. We can NOT beat pass happy playoff teams the likes of Indy and San Diego without him.

If he rushes back too early and tweaks the injury we may as well just put him on IR.

Let me remind you we are playing to win hardware not simply make the playoffs. We have a higher standard around here.

You're joking right? Is it that "short sighted" to ask if the guy can come back 7 days ahead of schedule after he has rested it for almost two months already, with the playoffs *possibly* on the line?

It's amazing how holy Troy has become with our fan base. I'm not questioning that he is hurt mind you... but if this episode had happen 3-4 years ago, imagine the hailstorm that would've come down on "Bustamalu". Now it's like if you even dare question him, you're a short-sighted idiot.

Lebsteel
12-21-2009, 05:20 PM

You're joking right? Is it that "short sighted" to ask if the guy can come back 7 days ahead of schedule after he has rested it for almost two months already, with the playoffs *possibly* on the line?

It's amazing how holy Troy has become with our fan base. I'm not questioning that he is hurt mind you... but if this episode had happen 3-4 years ago, imagine the hailstorm that would've come down on "Bustamalu". Now it's like if you even dare question him, you're a short-sighted idiot.

Shoe, totally agree with your post. I don't think 7 days is going to make a huge difference after being out as long as he has. If he is not ready this weekend, then he probably won't heal that much more in 7 days. It might be a big deal if he had only been out two weeks, but he has been out for six weeks.

Snatch98
12-21-2009, 06:03 PM
It would be nice to have Troy back but I'm not expecting him to return any earlier than Miami and even that may be a stretch. What I do know is the Ravens secondary is worse off than ours. They just lost Webb for the year to a torn ACL i believe and Reed is still out. They are starting two pretty new corners and no reed. It should be a good game, we just need to step it up like we did against GB and keep the momentum going.

Oviedo
12-21-2009, 06:18 PM

Shoe, totally agree with your post. I don't think 7 days is going to make a huge difference after being out as long as he has. If he is not ready this weekend, then he probably won't heal that much more in 7 days. It might be a big deal if he had only been out two weeks, but he has been out for six weeks.

Troy won't be back for the Miami game either. That's what Troy said not the doctors. If Troy screws up his PCL we are looking at surgery and that could set him back significantly getting ready for next season. Not worth forcing him out there and really screwing him up.

Do you really want this:

Surgical PCL reconstruction is difficult in part because of the position of the PCL in the knee. Trying to place a new PCL graft in this position is difficult, and over time these grafts are notorious for stretching out and becoming less functional. Generally, surgical PCL reconstruction is reserved for patients who have injured several major knee ligaments, or for those who cannot do their usual activities because of persistent knee instability.

Give him time to heal. Tory is a necessary multi-year asset not just this season.

NorthCoast
12-21-2009, 07:22 PM

Troy won't be back for the Miami game either. That's what Troy said not the doctors. If Troy screws up his PCL we are looking at surgery and that could set him back significantly getting ready for next season. Not worth forcing him out there and really screwing him up.

Do you really want this:

Surgical PCL reconstruction is difficult in part because of the position of the PCL in the knee. Trying to place a new PCL graft in this position is difficult, and over time these grafts are notorious for stretching out and becoming less functional. Generally, surgical PCL reconstruction is reserved for patients who have injured several major knee ligaments, or for those who cannot do their usual activities because of persistent knee instability.

Give him time to heal. Tory is a necessary multi-year asset not just this season.

Finally someone with some sense. Forget Troy for this season. The way he plays all it would take on a weakened joint is a tweak and he will be done for a LOT longer than a few weeks. Take the long term view and let him rehab til next season. We need the luck of a lottery winner to make the playoffs this season anyway so it makes no sense to risk Troy's long term health.

steelblood
12-21-2009, 08:27 PM
We can't lose to Miami and make the playoffs.

stlrz d
12-21-2009, 10:11 PM

Yeah, come on back from that knee injury Troy...who cares that you can't do what makes you the player you are...shoe is paying to watch YOU, not Carter!

AkronSteel
12-22-2009, 01:29 AM
I would like to see Troy on the field as much as the next guy but only if he is really ready to go. I don't wanna see the guy go out and reinjure himself again. Would he help? Of course he would but I'm not willing to risk the rest of his career for a chance to get into the playoffs as a 6 seed! The level of expection should not change anyways, these guys are professionals and they should be able to get it done!!

TallyStiller
12-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Miami's pass O isn't anything to write home about, either. A rested, 100% ready Troy in a playoff run against Cincy, Indy, and San Diego is far preferable to me to having him back to face pedestrian QB's in the last 2, must win as ALL of them are.

pfelix73
12-22-2009, 01:29 PM
According to Tomlin at the PC, Troy could play this week- it will depend on the MRI reports from Tuesday.

papillon
12-22-2009, 02:20 PM
If he can go, I would hope only in certain situations like 3rd and 16. just to get him some game time. Then against Miami a bit more and hopefully, he'd be ready for the playoffs should all the stars and planets align correctly for the Steelers.

He hasn't played meaningful football in awhile and, while, he's a great athlete, he'd have to be rusty to a certain degree.

Pappy

SteelAbility
12-22-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm on board with Troy for the last game IF we beat the Ravens AND the other help games either put us into a "win and in" situation or put us in a very favorable situation as far as further help goes.

Even when he comes back there is going to be a bit of rust. A rusty/healthy Troy is still going to be significantly better than Carter. One game will shake off the majority of the rust which would help with the 1st playoff game, providing we get that.

Shoe
12-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Miami's pass O isn't anything to write home about, either. A rested, 100% ready Troy in a playoff run against Cincy, Indy, and San Diego is far preferable to me to having him back to face pedestrian QB's in the last 2, must win as ALL of them are.

It's not only in pass defense when Troy is valuable. Imagine Tyrone Carter trying to tackle Ray Rice in the open field. (This could very easily be ugly, us trying to track down Rice.)

Imagine Tyrone Carter in coverage vs. Todd Heap.

Or Tyrone Carter having over the top help in Cover 2.

Or Tyrone Carter tying his shoes.

RuthlessBurgher
12-22-2009, 04:34 PM

It's not only in pass defense when Troy is valuable. Imagine Tyrone Carter trying to tackle Ray Rice in the open field. (This could very easily be ugly, us trying to track down Rice.)

Imagine Tyrone Carter in coverage vs. Todd Heap.

Or Tyrone Carter having over the top help in Cover 2.

Or Tyrone Carter tying his shoes.

Troy can't dance like Carter, though. :wink:

http://www.azcentral.com/i/sized/7/F/5/e905/j1000/PHP497F7CA7175F7.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0901/nfl.media.day.super.bowl/images/tyrone-Carter.2.jpg

http://blogs.tampabay.com/superbowl/images/2009/01/27/carter_dances.jpg

http://media.scout.com/media/image/63/636852.jpg