PDA

View Full Version : Eyes ready to roll-Locker room still split over Big Ben

brothervad
12-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Steelers' locker room still split over Big Ben?
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 20, 2009 11:37 AM ET
When Ben Roethlisberger decided to sit out a big game against the Ravens because of the lingering effects of a concussion, Hines Ward said there was a split in the Steelers' locker room over it.

Ward and Roethlisberger both made some conciliatory comments afterward, and it seemed that they had buried the hatchet. But the situation may not be resolved after all.

John Czarnecki of FoxSports.com reports that there is still a real split in the Steelers' locker room about Roethlisberger and whether or not he could have played against Baltimore.

According to Czarnecki, some Steelers think Ward was right, and that Roethlisberger was "over-dramatizing his headaches."

That's a serious issue, both for the Steelers as a team and for the NFL as a whole. If there really is a large contingent of players in the Steelers' locker room that thinks Roethlisberger didn't step up when he could have for a crucial game, then the Steelers have a big problem.

And if players around the league think that saying they have a headache will cause their teammates to question their toughness, the league's increased emphasis on monitoring concussions may be hampered by players increasingly lying about their symptoms.

Shoe
12-20-2009, 02:09 PM
If anyone thinks he was milking it, I wish he would step up and say it (in the lockerroom of course). Just say out loud, "Ben quit being a pussy." (I'm not questioning Ben; Just saying if a teammate is questioning.) All this is nonsense. Two (AND THIS IS A BIG TWO): IF YOU THINK YOU CAN GET WITH A BETTER QB, AND A BETTER ORGANIZATION, GO AHEAD AND TRY. This guy is better than 90% of the QBs out there--it is f-n stupidity to undermine him in any way.

However, saying all this, I tend to lean toward this writer just flaming a little ember. It's so stupid to even question Ben's desire to play. I also think guys like the O-line (a unit Ben has ALWAYS defended) should jump to defend their QB if this is the case... return the favor.

stlrz d
12-20-2009, 02:22 PM
If anyone thinks he was milking it, I wish he would step up and say it (in the lockerroom of course). Just say out loud, "Ben quit being a bad word." (I'm not questioning Ben; Just saying if a teammate is questioning.) All this is nonsense. Two (AND THIS IS A BIG TWO): IF YOU THINK YOU CAN GET WITH A BETTER QB, AND A BETTER ORGANIZATION, GO AHEAD AND TRY. This guy is better than 90% of the QBs out there--it is f-n stupidity to undermine him in any way.

However, saying all this, I tend to lean toward this writer just flaming a little ember. It's so stupid to even question Ben's desire to play. I also think guys like the O-line (a unit Ben has ALWAYS defended) should jump to defend their QB if this is the case... return the favor.

But it's perfectly acceptable to question Troy's desire to play?

BATMAN
12-20-2009, 02:28 PM
I don't think Ben was sitting out because of nothing less than actual headaches and following the teams and doctors instruction. What good would Ben have been for his team and his personal future going out their with the possibility of having yet his injury made more severe ? Against a lowly Browns team he was sacked 8 times plus the rest of the contact.
If these players would ever step up and say, ' our team is the reason he gets most of his injuries and we only have ourselves to blame.

See that kind of crap Ward started in the public. One thing to make comments amongest your buddies on the team but, for Ward to call him out in public has stuck a knife in the teams unity.

Tomlinator
12-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Is this all really true? Just another media story to ignore as far as I'm concerned.

The talking heads slobber all over teams doing well, and pick at the carcasses of the struggling teams ad naseum, usually rehashing the same crap over and over again.

Last years Band of Brothers have turned into a Lord of the Flies after one season of adversity and the same personnel? Please.

One reason I ignore ESPN and most other media.

Shoe
12-20-2009, 04:50 PM

Do you know what a forum is for stlrz d? A forum is for dialogue, to vent, to reflect, and ultimately become more thoughtful (considering any/all sides). I've made comments of Troy for not playing, that's true. I've also made comments saying he is an elite player and one of my favorites. (I've also, during the days when Troy wasn't godalmighty and on another board, been a staunch defender of him. And I still am.)

But if you want to hold me to that one comment, just realize what I mentioned above (dialogue, venting, reflecting...) and think of the context (frustration, us in a losing streak).

Scarletfire1970
12-20-2009, 04:54 PM

Do you know what a forum is for stlrz d? A forum is for dialogue, to vent, to reflect, and ultimately become more thoughtful (considering any/all sides). I've made comments of Troy for not playing, that's true. I've also made comments saying he is an elite player and one of my favorites. (I've also, during the days when Troy wasn't godalmighty and on another board, been a staunch defender of him. And I still am.)

But if you want to hold me to that one comment, just realize what I mentioned above (dialogue, venting, reflecting...) and think of the context (frustration, us in a losing streak).

Hines, Hines is that you?

j/k Shoe. :D

stlrz d
12-20-2009, 05:05 PM

So how come everyone else who's frustrated isn't questioning Troy's desire to play?

Perhaps because they realize Troy can't be Troy with a bum knee?

You also realize a forum is a place where people will be questioned on their irrational perspectives, yes?

Chavezz
12-20-2009, 07:22 PM
Personal note but second hand information so take it for what it's worth.

An employee of mine went to dinner with a friend of his and the friend had Greg Warren with him. My employee knows I'm a huge Steeler fan so he pumped him for some info.

One of the more interesting things that he said was that the lockerroom is divided and that up until a few months ago, be was not, let's just say, very well thought of. It's better now but at one point it was just the oline that supported him.

He also said that he thought the Vikes weren't anything special and that they will be one in done in the playoffs.

When asked what he thought was wrong with the team and he said he didn't know and that none of the players know.

Players prefer Tomlin because he's more of a players coach.

Take it for what it's worth.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-20-2009, 09:12 PM
If the locker room really was split over Ben, I would think his performance today would go a long way toward rectifying the situation...

Steelgal
12-20-2009, 09:13 PM
I would have thought Ben's performance in the Superbowl last year, would haven't have led to a divided locker room???

steelsnis
12-20-2009, 09:16 PM
If the locker room really was split over Ben, I would think his performance today would go a long way toward rectifying the situation...

Which is precisely why this is such a dumb topic. It's not like he's done this EXACT thing before has he? Oh wait, yes he has, in a little game called the Super Bowl. I will never buy that there is a split locker room here. There are always gonna be guys who don't like each other on every single team in the league. Doesn't mean a thing.

proudpittsburgher
12-20-2009, 09:17 PM
locker room is divided . . . don't make me laugh. What in the heck does the Steelers defense have to not like about Ben, especially this season. He has never thrown them under the buss, although we would have 10 wins right now if it were only for Ben. The D has coughed up five fourth quarter leads, and they are unhappy with Ben?

brothervad
12-20-2009, 09:38 PM
locker room is divided . . . don't make me laugh. What in the heck does the Steelers defense have to not like about Ben, especially this season. He has never thrown them under the buss, although we would have 10 wins right now if it were only for Ben. The D has coughed up five fourth quarter leads, and they are unhappy with Ben?

Proud,

Just reading your post and thinking...wow the difference between mediocrity and the #2 seed in the playoff hunt at 12-2 really isn't that far is it?

brothervad

proudpittsburgher
12-21-2009, 06:42 PM

Proud,

Just reading your post and thinking...wow the difference between mediocrity and the #2 seed in the playoff hunt at 12-2 really isn't that far is it?

brothervad

Not that big a difference at all. brother, not at all. And that's why I get tired of all the "this guy needs fired" crap on this board. F, we had a mediocre season at worst. Was it a dissapointment? Sure it was, but I just get tired of this talk.

NWNewell
12-21-2009, 06:50 PM

I think he knows what a forum is.

I think he feels that your dialogue, venting, and reflections just have no consistancy, persoective, or logic.

I'm not sayin'. I'm just saying.

stlrz d
12-21-2009, 10:00 PM

I think he knows what a forum is.

I think he feels that your dialogue, venting, and reflections just have no consistancy, persoective, or logic.

I'm not sayin'. I'm just saying.

There was a farmer had a dog...can you guess that dog's name-o? :D