PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the season thus far...

mshifko
12-19-2009, 05:10 AM
i have been busy, got a new job, working a lot and haven't had the chance to post this much this year...but i'm just going to throw some thoughts out there.

bruce arians game plans are awful. we need to stay more committed to the run game. mendy is a stud, use him as such. our pass protection has not actually been the problem. i think the problem the vast majority of the time is that our receivers aren't getting open due to the routes. brucey boy has our WR's running 15-20 yard routes when we only need 5 yards.

ben hasn't had his A game all season, but he's been more solid than not.

heath has really disappointed me, way too many drops/not as many missed tackles as in years past.

holmes is playing lights out

hines/mike wallace have been making stuff happen all year...i'm really happy with our receivers.

defensively...were not getting pressure only sending 4 guys like we did last year, that's the major culprit of our collapses late in games

tomlin...don't lose faith in the guy, he's a special coach and will have more lombardi's in that trophy case before it's all said and done

lastly, we cannot win it every year...i know we're disappointing this year, underachieving, but enjoy past success while you can because some teams just aren't as lucky as we have been

toddjammin
12-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Mshifko,
I agree with all your statements on the Steelers this far. I think we definitely need to throw some more screens in the game to our Wide Receivers. I'm actually shocked with the drops Heath has had lately. It makes me wonder if Heath has an undisclosed injury that the Steelers are not talking about.

I think if we can get an even better pass rush, that will cover up a bit for our secondary. Speaking of our secondary, I want Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett to get a lot of playing time tomorrow.

I predict Steelers come back strong tomorrow and win 28-17.

RuthlessBurgher
12-19-2009, 02:20 PM
I agree with every one of your points except about Heath Miller.

We've been saying for years that if given the opportunity, Miller could be a big-time receiving TE in addition to a quality blocking TE.

Well, his 61 catches this season are tied for 24th most among all players in the NFL (WR's, TE's, and RB's).

He has more catches than anyone on the Jets, Bills, Browns, Jaguars, Titans, Raiders, Chiefs, Redskins, Packers, Bears, Lions, Saints, Panthers, or Rams. Yup...more catches than Marques Colston, Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Calvin Johnson, Steve Smith (South), Derrick Mason, Vincent Jackson, DeSean Jackson, and Terrell Owens.

He's already surpassed personal bests in catches and receiving yards and is two catches away from Eric Green's team record for catches by a TE in a season (63).

With more opportunites for catches come more opportunities for drops. I don't think that the drops are at a worrisome epidemic level, though. We are just so used to him being so sure-handed, that whenever he drops one, it is unusual. Plus, one of his drops was magnified, because that ball was picked off and was a huge factor in a loss to a team that we never should have lost to in the first place. I think Heath is more than earning the new contract that we gave him in the offseason.

toddjammin
12-19-2009, 05:33 PM
I agree with every one of your points except about Heath Miller.

We've been saying for years that if given the opportunity, Miller could be a big-time receiving TE in addition to a quality blocking TE.

Well, his 61 catches this season are tied for 24th most among all players in the NFL (WR's, TE's, and RB's).

He has more catches than anyone on the Jets, Bills, Browns, Jaguars, Titans, Raiders, Chiefs, Redskins, Packers, Bears, Lions, Saints, Panthers, or Rams. Yup...more catches than Marques Colston, Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Calvin Johnson, Steve Smith (South), Derrick Mason, Vincent Jackson, DeSean Jackson, and Terrell Owens.

He's already surpassed personal bests in catches and receiving yards and is two catches away from Eric Green's team record for catches by a TE in a season (63).

With more opportunites for catches come more opportunities for drops. I don't think that the drops are at a worrisome epidemic level, though. We are just so used to him being so sure-handed, that whenever he drops one, it is unusual. Plus, one of his drops was magnified, because that ball was picked off and was a huge factor in a loss to a team that we never should have lost to in the first place. I think Heath is more than earning the new contract that we gave him in the offseason.

Those are all good points about Heath Miller Ruthless Burgher. I am a Heath Miller fan and I hope he can catch at least 70 passes by year end if not 75.