PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Draft

SteelCzar76
12-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Not that i believe that Colbert as guided by Tomlin will make any rational selections,..but Draft talk and or debate is fun nonetheless.

And with that said Draftniks,.. whose on your 1st round boards ? Mine is as follows. (though "fluid" being so early)

1) Joe Haden

2) Toby Gerhart

3) Taylor Mays

frankthetank1
12-18-2009, 02:21 PM
Not that i believe that Colbert as guided by Tomlin will make any rational selections,..but Draft talk and or debate is fun nonetheless.

And with that said Draftniks,.. whose on your 1st round boards ? Mine is as follows. (though "fluid" being so early)

1) Joe Haden

2) Toby Gerhart

3) Taylor Mays

No qb? after all ben is a sub par qb :lol:

steelerkeylargo
12-18-2009, 02:27 PM

1) Joe Haden

2) Toby Gerhart

3) Taylor Mays

If we were to draft Gerhart in the first round I might have to jump out the back of a moving pickup truck!!!

SteelCzar76
12-18-2009, 02:36 PM

1) Joe Haden

2) Toby Gerhart

3) Taylor Mays

Naaah,....Ryan Mallet isn't coming out this year. :lol: But now that you mention it, Tebow could perform at least as well as Roethlisberger. :lol:

Jom112
12-18-2009, 02:38 PM
If I was doing a big board for you guys with guys realistically who will be available when you pick:

1. C.J. Spiller - Need a guy who can break a big one ever so often and make things a lot easier on the offense. Plus his return skills should not be underestimated.
2. Joe Hayden - Can never have enough good corners.
3. Mike Iupti - Huge guard to solidify the interior of the line.

RuthlessBurgher
12-18-2009, 02:41 PM
http://blog.al.com/press-register-sports/2009/08/large_terrence%20cody.JPG

SteelCzar76
12-18-2009, 02:44 PM
If I was doing a big board for you guys with guys realistically who will be available when you pick:

1. C.J. Spiller - Need a guy who can break a big one ever so often and make things a lot easier on the offense. Plus his return skills should not be underestimated.

Good Calls Jom. But we already have a "slasher" back,..and Taylor may fall out of the top ten and go no later then 20 if Eric Berry declares.

phillyesq
12-18-2009, 02:48 PM
If we were to draft Gerhart in the first round I might have to jump out the back of a moving pickup truck!!!

Boo. Too soon!

steelerkeylargo
12-18-2009, 02:58 PM

Boo. Too soon!

Softy!!!

Jom112

Good Calls Jom. But we already have a "slasher" back,..and Taylor may fall out of the top ten and go no later then 20 if Eric Berry declares.

No way Taylor makes it past Al Davis... :lol:

Spiller is a risky pick, but I think he'll make a big impact for whatever team drafts him. Similar to Percy Harvin this year. Those guys create matchup problems and contribute big time in the return game...

SteelCzar76
http://blog.al.com/press-register-sports/2009/08/large_terrence%20cody.JPG

I wouldn't disagree with that pick Ruthless. But i don't think that Cody makes it out of the top ten. And i still regard Hamp as the best in the league at what he does.

steelerkeylargo
12-18-2009, 03:02 PM
1st round-Trent Williams-OT-Oklahoma

2nd Round-trade up-Dan Williams-DT-Tennesee

Williams boys back to back

frankthetank1
12-18-2009, 03:04 PM

1) Joe Haden

2) Toby Gerhart

3) Taylor Mays

Naaah,....Ryan Mallet isn't coming out this year. :lol: But now that you mention it, Tebow could perform at least as well as Roethlisberger. :lol:

why not just sign jemarcus russell in FA? he could do just as well if not better than ben with this offense right?

SteelCzar76
12-18-2009, 03:05 PM

No way Taylor makes it past Al Davis... :lol:

Spiller is a risky pick, but I think he'll make a big impact for whatever team drafts him. Similar to Percy Harvin this year. Those guys create matchup problems and contribute big time in the return game...

Yeah your right Jom,.. Taylor's measurables are far to freakish for the Emperor (Al) to pass on :lol: (But who knows right ?)

I also feel what your saying about Spiller,...but i just think us selecting him would be redundant with Mindy already on the roster. But again,.. i do agree that he will likely be a first year impact player.

PSU_dropout43
12-18-2009, 03:15 PM
taylor mays = roy williams

PSU_dropout43
12-18-2009, 03:23 PM
1st round-Trent Williams-OT-Oklahoma

2nd Round-trade up-Dan Williams-DT-Tennesee

Williams boys back to back

I'd be ok with this.

SteelCzar76
12-18-2009, 03:24 PM

I take it that your referring to the fact that he has some work to do in terms his coverage game ? Fair enough. (The same was also said of Troy coming out)

But with that said,..he's young enough and has the work ethnic to be coached up in that regard. And as far as the Williams comparison,...he's (Taylor) bigger, stronger, and faster. (sub 4.5 speed)

RuthlessBurgher
12-18-2009, 03:26 PM

:Agree

Bigger, faster, stronger, and more athletic, but no coverage ability or ball skills...like Williams. I don't want an "in the box" safety with an early first round pick. But if we could trade up for Eric Berry, though...(very doubtful...that guy should go extremely high).

NW Steeler
12-18-2009, 03:30 PM
So, if we do not have a CB on the current roster that is capable of taking a starting role, what is more important, a CB or a FS?

SteelCzar76
12-18-2009, 03:39 PM

:Agree

Bigger, faster, stronger, and more athletic, but no coverage ability or ball skills...like Williams. I don't want an "in the box" safety with an early first round pick. But if we could trade up for Eric Berry, though...(very doubtful...that guy should go extremely high).

You've got a very valid point about not using a early 1st rounder on a box safety Ruthless. I just think Mays will go on to be more than that as a pro. And i would have a hard time saying that it would be a good look passing him at say anywhere from 15 to 20.

Hey,.. they (Tomlin) drafted a small, unproductive, injury prone 4-3 pursuit backer in Timmons that high to play ILB in a 3-4. And he's not on the same planet as Mays as a pure football player.

But again,..i can't objectively argue that Taylor does'nt have his shortcomings as of now.

PSU_dropout43
12-18-2009, 03:40 PM
So, if we do not have a CB on the current roster that is capable of taking a starting role, what is more important, a CB or a FS?
CB.

FS has always been a cheap position for the Steelers. Steelers don't draft FS higher than 3rd round, and won't pay FS more than $2 mill a year.

steelerkeylargo
12-18-2009, 03:44 PM
Don't be surprised if Keenan Lewis is your starting FS next year!

Jom112
12-18-2009, 03:46 PM
It would be interesting to see Mays and Polamalu in the same secondary though. That is some serious team speed right there.

But you guys have bigger needs...

SteelCzar76
12-18-2009, 03:46 PM

I'd have to say CB. Especially if we were able to land Haden. But then again i might be jaded as i do not think we have had a true elite Corner since Rod left. Or any real studs since a young Figures.

cruzer8
12-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Mendenhall is on the verge of being a 1500 yard/season + back in this league. No way we take a RB higher than round 4.

Lebsteel
12-19-2009, 12:14 AM
1-Dan Williams NT Tennessee (replaces Hampton) or if we go 6-10 I could see us going high enough to draft Rolando McClain ILB Alabama
2-Sean Lee ILB Penn State (replaces Farrior) or Javier Arenas CB Alabama (replaces Gay)

SidSmythe
12-19-2009, 12:21 AM
we need strength right up the middle from NT thru ILB right thru to FS.

NJ-STEELER
12-19-2009, 12:25 AM
[quote="NW Steeler":36yf7v5b]So, if we do not have a CB on the current roster that is capable of taking a starting role, what is more important, a CB or a FS?

FS has always been a cheap position for the Steelers. Steelers don't draft FS higher than 3rd round, and won't pay FS more than $2 mill a year.[/quote:36yf7v5b]

$$

with a healthy troy, the FS spot isnt as glaring a weakness. plus, all he has to do is "play it safe"

i wouldn't mind clark coming back at a reasonable rate.

that said, if they do look to draft one, he better have some coverage /play the ball abilities

steelerkeylargo
12-19-2009, 09:55 AM
1-Dan Williams NT Tennessee (replaces Hampton) or if we go 6-10 I could see us going high enough to draft Rolando McClain ILB Alabama
2-Sean Lee ILB Penn State (replaces Farrior) or Javier Arenas CB Alabama (replaces Gay)

I think Dan Williams can be had a little bit later in the draft. However I really do like him. I also think the trio of Farrior, Timmons and Fox can hold down ILB one more year. More pressing needs for a 2nd round pick.

Oviedo
12-19-2009, 10:26 AM
For those of you wanting a CB you need to do some research on this draft. This is not a good draft for CBs at the top end. Haden out of Florida is the highest rated because of his ball skills but he will measure shorter than listed at the combine and will be about Joe Burnett size...guaranteed. Not clear he will be able to be your #1 CB and cover the bigger receivers. Patrick Robinson out of FSU is rated the next best but he is also not the tall, strong CB that LeBeau likes He will also measure about 5'10". He is also probably a late Round 1 pick.

In the defensive backfield this draft has some top level talent at Safety: Earl Thomas (Texas/could stay in school), Taylor Mays (USC), Nate Allen (South Florida) and Darrell Stuckey (Kansas) all are legit Round #1 talents. However, in my mind only Thomas and Mays rate being picked where we will likely select. If we want a major upgrade at safety I wouldn't hesitate to pick either one but is that the place yoiu need a real upgrade? The others are later Round 1 picks.

This is one of the best drafts in years for DL. Tons of talent in Round 1. But we have the issue of whether we are staying 3-4 or not. If so we have to ignore several great DEs because they don't fit size wise. The only true NT in that area is Cody but he is high risk from a weight control standpoint. Lots of very good DTs who could convert to 3-4 DE but will we do that twice in two years? If converting to 4-3 then yes, if staying with 3-4 likely no.

That leaves IMO LB or OT. Rolando McClain would be the perfect fit whether we stay 3-4 (replace Farrior) or go 4-3 (MLB). No other LB though rates where we are picking. Brandon Spikes is likely later Round 1. Now we come to OT for the maligned OL. Why draft one? Straks is locked up long term. Colon can be retained another year at a decent cost by tagging him and the team rates him highly. No Guard or Center is worth a pick in the area we will be picking.

So where does that leave us? If I were king, I'd do the following:

1. Target Rolondo McClain and trade up if necessary. If we can't get him then trade down.

The wildcard here not to be discounted is we could go another offensive skill player in Round 1 but IMO we could likely trade down to do that. The CJ Spiller option would be intriguing (Runner, Receiver, Returner) but I'd prefer another RB later because they are a time a dozen.

steelerkeylargo
12-19-2009, 11:38 AM
For those of you wanting a CB you need to do some research on this draft. This is top a good draft for CBs at the top end. Haden out of Florida is the highest rated because of his ball skills but he will measure shorter than listed at the combine and will be about Joe Burnett size...guaranteed. Not clear he will be able to be your #1 CB and cover the bigger receivers. Patrick Robinson out of FSU is rated the next best but he is also not the tall, strong CB that LeBeau likes He will also measure about 5'10". He is also probably a late Round 1 pick.

In the defensive backfield this draft has some top level talent at Safety: Earl Thomas (Texas/could stay in school), Taylor Mays (USC), Nate Allen (South Florida) and Darrell Stuckey (Kansas) all are legit Round #1 talents. However, in my mind only Thomas and Mays rate being picked where we will likely select. If we want a major upgrade at safety I wouldn't hesitate to pick either one but is that the place yoiu need a real upgrade? The others are later Round 1 picks.

I love McClain but would not trade up to get him. Having said that I would not trade down unless it was an above market trade chart deal in our favor!! Such as our 1st for a 1st and second...no later than say 24. I really believe that unless someone who is top 8 falls to us we will draft an OT. The Rooneys will want their 112 mil. dollar man upright!!

This is one of the best drafts in years for DL. Tons of talent in Round 1. But we have the issue of whether we are staying 3-4 or not. If so we have to ignore several great DEs because they don't fit size wise. The only true NT in that area is Cody but he is high risk from a weight control standpoint. Lots of very good DTs who could convert to 3-4 DE but will we do that twice in two years? If converting to 4-3 then yes, if staying with 3-4 likely no.

That leaves IMO LB or OT. Rolando McClain would be the perfect fit whether we stay 3-4 (replace Farrior) or go 4-3 (MLB). No other LB though rates where we are picking. Brandon Spikes is likely later Round 1. Now we come to OT for the maligned OL. Why draft one? Straks is locked up long term. Colon can be retained another year at a decent cost by tagging him and the team rates him highly. No Guard or Center is worth a pick in the area we will be picking.

1. Target Rolondo McClain and trade up if necessary. If we can't get him then trade down.

The wildcard here not to be discounted is we could go another offensive skill player in Round 1 but IMO we could likely trade down to do that. The CJ Spiller option would be intriguing (Runner, Receiver, Returner) but I'd prefer another RB later because they are a time a dozen.

NJ-STEELER
12-19-2009, 04:18 PM
the CB's might neasure out smaller then years before, but they would still upgrade the position for us. something that clearly needs to be done

Oviedo
12-19-2009, 05:22 PM
For those of you wanting a CB you need to do some research on this draft. This is top a good draft for CBs at the top end. Haden out of Florida is the highest rated because of his ball skills but he will measure shorter than listed at the combine and will be about Joe Burnett size...guaranteed. Not clear he will be able to be your #1 CB and cover the bigger receivers. Patrick Robinson out of FSU is rated the next best but he is also not the tall, strong CB that LeBeau likes He will also measure about 5'10". He is also probably a late Round 1 pick.

I love McClain but would not trade up to get him. Having said that I would not trade down unless it was an above market trade chart deal in our favor!! Such as our 1st for a 1st and second...no later than say 24. I really believe that unless someone who is top 8 falls to us we will draft an OT. The Rooneys will want their 112 mil. dollar man upright!!

??????? Did you mean to say something???

Oviedo
12-19-2009, 05:23 PM
the CB's might neasure out smaller then years before, but they would still upgrade the position for us. something that clearly needs to be done

Until they can't cover the first end zone fade pattern and then they will be "busts" and it will just show what a crap coach Tomlin is and how Colbert can't draft.

steelerkeylargo
12-19-2009, 05:53 PM

Yeah. Weird it didnt go through. I love McLain but wouldnt trade up to get him. I think the only way we should trade down is if we trade our 1st for a first and second and fall back no further than say 1/24. Having said that I belive the Steelers will find Willie Colon's replacement in the first round and protect their 100 million dollar man!!

stlrz d
12-19-2009, 08:59 PM

Yeah. Weird it didnt go through. I love McLain but wouldnt trade up to get him. I think the only way we should trade down is if we trade our 1st for a first and second and fall back no further than say 1/24. Having said that I belive the Steelers will find Willie Colon's replacement in the first round and protect their 100 million dollar man!!

It did go through...looks like you just didn't scroll far enough down before you began typing. See highlighted above.

grotonsteel
12-20-2009, 02:09 AM

Taylor Mays does not have coverage ability....i would not burn a high pick on a player like Mays. I would prefer Ryan Clark over Taylor Mays.

Is there a possibility Eric Berry may fall beyond top 10 picks????

I would trade down in 1st Rd and draft
1st Rd: Mike Iupati, Idaho --OG, Iowa (Essex Replacement)
Trade up in 2nd Rd and draft
2nd Rd: Dan Williams -- NT, Tenn