PDA

View Full Version : Most Compelling Super Bowl Matchups

MeetJoeGreene
12-17-2009, 01:12 PM
OK.. assuming we don't make it (which is still a slim possiblity)... what matchups would be intriguing.. here are some of my thoughts:

1.) Undefeated New Orleans vs. Undefeated Indy. This would be an overhyped dream matchup. I would love to see it and I would probably be pulling for NO.

2.) Vikings vs. San Diego. Actually if the Vikings were in, it would be huge because of Favre. As much as his multiple retirements and subsequent publicity irked me, it would be kind of cool to see him pull it off. And then he would probably retire for good and go out on top. Having SD win would make all 3 QB in the first round of Ben's class have a Super Bowl - making it a historic class and Ben (and hence the Steelers) a part of it. Plus, Norv would finally get the choker label removed.

3.) Miami vs. undefeated NO. Unlikely.. but wouldn't it be cool if the only thing standing between NO going undefeated was Miami... think about that drama.

4) Bengals vs. anyone. The Chris Henry tradgedy would make it an inspiring story. As much as I would hate to pull for a rival, if the Bengals won it, it would mean 4 Super Bowls for our division since the Ravens won it - making a strong argument that it is a strong division.

Any other thoughts?

Jom112
12-17-2009, 01:17 PM
1. Undefeated NO vs. Undefeated INDY

2. Undefeated NO vs. Bengals - Battle of the Who Dats vs. the Who Deys

3. Undefeated NO vs. Chargers - Brees against his old team

4. Vikings vs. ??? - Not sure who would make for the best matchup against the Vikes.

JTP53609
12-17-2009, 01:20 PM
giants vs undefeated colts.....
can the giants beat another undefeated. and of course the manning bowl, that would get real old real quick...

flippy
12-17-2009, 01:55 PM
NE/Indy vs Vikings - a matchup of historic QBs
Jets vs anybody - you'd have a rookie QB starting in the SuperBowl
Tenn vs anybody - 0-6 start to SuperBowl would be amazing
Minny vs anybody - Favre is past 40
Miami vs anybody - it'd be a home game
SF vs anybody - how the flip did that happen?

RuthlessBurgher
12-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Steelers vs. Packers

It's a five star match-up...because we're in it!

The next game is the most important game. We should play it like it's our Super Bowl, even though there is an awfully good chance that it is only for pride, since I doubt that all of the other contending teams are going to cooperate in the array of losses we need to even have a shot at the actual playoffs.

Besides, this was my Super Bowl pick in the beginning of the season prediction thread, so why change now?

SidSmythe
12-17-2009, 02:35 PM
PERSONALLY I PREFER THE FOLLOWING CHAMPIONSHIP WEEKEND
**Just a little change of pace (no disrespect to the thread**

NFC CHAMPIONSHIP:
ARIZONA CARDINALS (11-5) @ MINNESOTA VIKINGS (14-2)
- I think the Cardinals are a top flight team. They can get hot in the playoffs and if they can fix their road woes, they can play w/ anyone. Lets not forget they are a top run stopping defense w/ some playmakers in the secondary. I'm all for Brett Favre winning it all and going out on top. May the best team win!!

OR

MINNESOTA VIKINGS (114-2) @ NEW ORLEANS SAINTS (15-1)
- I am so sick of hearing the hype of "Path to Perfection" ...frankly winning the Superbowl is perfection at the end of the day. Great matchup none the less, but w/out the extra hype would make it that much more spectacular.

AFC CHAMPIONSHIP:
SAN DIEGO CHARGERS (12-4) @ INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (15-1)
- The old days of picking on Norv Turner is over. Philip Rivers has grown on me (despite his cocky spastic attitude at times). Norv has his guy and Rivers has become an elite QB. The Chargers have the Colts number and we all know this game would come down to the wire. I wouldn't be against Peyton Manning winning 1 more superbowl, so we can all just agree that he was one of the greatest without having to talk about his flaws come January.

OR

NEW ENGLAND (10-6) @ CINCINNATI BENGALS (12-4)
- This would make it much easier to route for the Bungles. Cincy has struggled as of late and are looking like one of these December teams on a downward spiral. Lets say they turn things around and Palmer finds his rhythm again and the ground game continues to grind things out in the winter. Where has the run game gone in the NFL??? Cincy has taken advantage and can pound the ball. New England could easily go into INDY and knock off the Colts, but it would be fun to watch the Bengals run the ball down Patsies throats comes January.

SteelAbility
12-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Steelers vs. Anybody would intrigue me the most ...

First ever in-tact SB winning team to lose 5 in a row (the '87 NYG lost 5 in a row, but three of those were by the scab team). Three losses in the 5-game streak coming to the dregs of the league (KC, OAK, and CLE). Then to bounce bank, get some help and peak at the right time

AND

First ever 9-7 team to win a SB

AND

Second ever #6 seed and only team as a #6 seed to win SB

AND

SB victory pretty much locks Big Ben for HOF (and probably 1st ballot)

:tt2

Oh, sorry, the premise was that we don't make it. Too bad. I'm allowed to dream. :mrgreen:

NW Steeler
12-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Steelers vs. Packers

The next game is the most important game. We should play it like it's our Super Bowl, even though there is an awfully good chance that it is only for pride, since I doubt that all of the other contending teams are going to cooperate in the array of losses we need to even have a shot at the actual playoffs.

Besides, this was my Super Bowl pick in the beginning of the season prediction thread, so why change now?

I love the way you think Ruthless! I was hoping for that matchup back in 9?' when Kordell choked away the game against Denver in the AFC.

JTP53609
12-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Steelers vs. Packers

I love the way you think Ruthless! I was hoping for that matchup back in 9?' when Kordell choked away the game against Denver in the AFC.

1997, that was the worst loss I have experienced as far as afc championship games, that one really hurt, we had just beaten them 5 weeks before the afc championship game and we had them beat again but redzone interceptions......i was upset in 94, and 01, but that 97 season really hurt....Plus I always say that was one of the most fun years to be a fan, big late minute wins similar to last year.....

JTP53609
12-17-2009, 04:09 PM

First ever in-tact SB winning team to lose 5 in a row (the '87 NYG lost 5 in a row, but three of those were by the scab team). Three losses in the 5-game streak coming to the dregs of the league (KC, OAK, and CLE). Then to bounce bank, get some help and peak at the right time

AND

AND

AND

Oh, sorry, the premise was that we don't make it. Too bad. I'm allowed to dream. :mrgreen:

but he is so pedestrian.. :Blah :Blah

RuthlessBurgher
12-17-2009, 04:28 PM

AND

AND

AND

Of course he is pedestrian. Look, he isn't driving the truck. He's walking on the street. That makes him a pedestrian. :wink:

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/81850301.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1934B869679A269F9CC153C6EFCF65F341C 26FD13ED7B73D4BC

SteelAbility
12-17-2009, 06:17 PM

AND

AND

AND

... and a mere game manager. :roll: We may as well just hand him the janitor broom when the season's over. :roll:

RuthlessBurgher
12-17-2009, 06:42 PM

AND

AND

AND

... and a mere game manager. :roll: We may as well just hand him the janitor broom when the season's over. :roll:

I wouldn't go that far! The job of overpaid janitor on this team has already been taken! :P

http://temple3.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/mike-tomlin.jpg

stlrz d
12-17-2009, 09:49 PM
If it's not us I'd love to see undefeated Saints over undefeated Colts.

SteelAbility
12-18-2009, 03:10 PM

AND

AND

AND

I wouldn't go that far! The job of overpaid janitor on this team has already been taken! :P

http://temple3.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/mike-tomlin.jpg

But I thought we still had a vacancy for "super overpaid janitor." :wink: :P

SteelCzar76
12-18-2009, 03:53 PM
I'd say the Saints and Chargers. A match up of two truely great Qb's, solid units and coaching staffs whom deserve to win a World Title. I think it would make for a helluva game.

RuthlessBurgher
12-18-2009, 03:57 PM
I'd say the Saints and Chargers. A match up of two truely great Qb's, units and coaching staffs whom deserve to win a World Title. I think it would make for a helluva game.

I think this is the first time that I have heard "great coaching staff" used when Norv Turner would be one of the head coaches. :shock:

SteelCzar76
12-18-2009, 04:10 PM
I'd say the Saints and Chargers. A match up of two truely great Qb's, units and coaching staffs whom deserve to win a World Title. I think it would make for a helluva game.

I think this is the first time that I have heard "great coaching staff" used when Norv Turner would be one of the head coaches. :shock:

http://www.theofficialjohncarpenter.com/data/movies/biopics/bpkdavid.jpg

"Your a consummate smart azz Ruthless,....and sometimes i like your style. But more often than not i want to put my foot so far up your net persona's azz that you'll need an exorcism to remove it"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

sd steel
12-19-2009, 12:06 AM
Steelers vs. Packers

1997, that was the worst loss I have experienced as far as afc championship games, that one really hurt, we had just beaten them 5 weeks before the afc championship game and we had them beat again but redzone interceptions......i was upset in 94, and 01, but that 97 season really hurt....Plus I always say that was one of the most fun years to be a fan, big late minute wins similar to last year.....

I agree! The Super Bowl was played here in SD, and my sister was dating the Packers back up center at the time. We got into to a bunch of NFL stuff. watched the Rock and Jock game, and went to the Packers after party, kind of depressing, but they had all you can eat huge shrimp cocktail and an open bar. Also hung out with Eugene Robinson before he got in his trouble. It would have been an awesome Super Bowl, if we didn't choke to Denver.

Shoe
12-20-2009, 01:00 AM
2.) Vikings vs. San Diego. Actually if the Vikings were in, it would be huge because of Favre. As much as his multiple retirements and subsequent publicity irked me, it would be kind of cool to see him pull it off. And then he would probably retire for good and go out on top. Having SD win would make all 3 QB in the first round of Ben's class have a Super Bowl - making it a historic class and Ben (and hence the Steelers) a part of it. Plus, Norv would finally get the choker label removed.

This is my SB prediction.

4) Bengals vs. anyone. The Chris Henry tradgedy would make it an inspiring story. As much as I would hate to pull for a rival, if the Bengals won it, it would mean 4 Super Bowls for our division since the Ravens won it - making a strong argument that it is a strong division.

I'm not feeling that at all. I can't imagine rooting for a division rival. I would never root for Baltimore in no Super Bowl (cuz the Patriots* are the only team I'd root for them against, and they are in the same conference).

And I would not root for the Bungles either, even given current circumstances.

steelblood
12-20-2009, 08:53 AM
The Bengals have had tragedy this season and the media would make that the story, but I don't believe the average fan can be pulling for a matchup that features the Bengals. After all, if the Bengals make the Super Bowl, they will do it by forcing great teams to punt a lot and then by running the ball themselves. Not a marquee matchup. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate good defense. I love the way the 49ers D plays. However, I find the Bengals Defense pretty boring to watch and their offense isn't terribly exciting anymore either.

Minnesota vs. Indy - It would be fun watching Peyton run for his life and that undersized D-line try to contain AP. I think it would be close with many memorable plays.

San Diego vs. NO- Brees takes on his old team. The revenge angle would be overplayed, but it would be an interesting matchup of two teams that seem to usually play exciting football. NO must get healthy though.

Green Bay vs. New England- As long as NE loses, I LOVE this matchup. Green Bay is fun to watch.