PDA

View Full Version : Cowher as steelers GM?? Read with a grain of salt.

LordVile
12-16-2009, 08:46 PM
My good buddy who got me into steeler football said that he was listening to ESPN radio a few days ago and heard something about, the organization interested in getting Cowher as a GM. We're wondering if anyone else has heard anything similar? Although I know Cowher is waiting for his CBS contract to run out, before anything. Just curious is anyone else heard the ESPN broadcast?

P.S. I ain't starting rumors, just relaying what my buddy heard.

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2009, 08:49 PM
That's redonkulous. Colbert is one of the best in the biz. Cowher's never done that job before.

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

http://www.0-60mag.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/mormon-translation-south-park.jpg

LordVile
12-16-2009, 09:07 PM
That's redonkulous. Colbert is one of the best in the biz. Cowher's never done that job before.

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

http://www.0-60mag.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/mormon-translation-south-park.jpg

Obviously you didn't here the radio report on ESPN, but neither did I, just relaying what my buddy said he heard a few days ago (he's been a steelers fan for 30 years) so no need for him to make it up. If you didn't hear it why are you responding??

"Cowher's never done that job before." so how does one get a job he hasn't done before??

Shoe
12-16-2009, 11:04 PM

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

Obviously you didn't here the radio report on ESPN, but neither did I, just relaying what my buddy said he heard a few days ago (he's been a steelers fan for 30 years) so no need for him to make it up. If you didn't hear it why are you responding??

"Cowher's never done that job before." so how does one get a job he hasn't done before??

Ask Matt Millen.

stlrz d
12-16-2009, 11:14 PM
We'll be breaking out these before Cowher becomes GM.

http://www.onlinesports.com/images/hcs2103.gif

And yinz know my take on that.

:D

JTP53609
12-17-2009, 08:35 AM
lordville not to be a smarta$$ but if your buddy was a steeler fan for 30 years now, who did he like when the steelers were winning the super bowls in the 70's (because 30 years would be at the start of the 1980 season)

I would hire Cowher to teach the steelers how to hold onto leads, because say what you want about the guy, but we did not lose games when were up by 10 or if we ever had a lead in the fourth qtr

stlrz d
12-17-2009, 09:52 AM
lordville not to be a smarta$$ but if your buddy was a steeler fan for 30 years now, who did he like when the steelers were winning the super bowls in the 70's (because 30 years would be at the start of the 1980 season)

I would hire Cowher to teach the steelers how to hold onto leads, because say what you want about the guy, but we did not lose games when were up by 10 or if we ever had a lead in the fourth qtr

I don't think there's any teaching involved with that. Those teams were designed for just that purpose. A dominant, run blocking O line and a big, powerful back.

I also seem to recall that if those teams happened to fall behind by a couple of TDs they struggled to catch up.

Balance...gotta have the power and the ability to overcome a deficit. It's difficult to do.

RuthlessBurgher
12-17-2009, 10:07 AM

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

I wasn't calling you dumb or your friend dumb. Just the outlandish possibility of a team getting rid of a successful, established personnel guru for a former coach with no experience on this side of the NFL business. Just because Cowher was a good motivator on the sidelines does not mean that he can successfully handle a draft room or effectively manage the salary cap during free agency. Even if ESPN radio reported it, the idea is still dumb.

How does one get a job as an NFL general manager? Start out as a scout and work your way up.

JTP53609
12-17-2009, 11:59 AM

I don't think there's any teaching involved with that. Those teams were designed for just that purpose. A dominant, run blocking O line and a big, powerful back.

I also seem to recall that if those teams happened to fall behind by a couple of TDs they struggled to catch up.

Balance...gotta have the power and the ability to overcome a deficit. It's difficult to do.

balance is beauty you are correct, but we struggled to stay balanced in the cowher era, it is hard to be balanced when you have the likes of tomczac, miller, kordell, graham, and maddox, we finally got a qb in his last 2 years here and we did pretty well.

We did struggle coming back in the days of cowher but I did like them coming back from 17 down to cleveland in the 02 playoffs and from 7 down to the jets in the 04 playoffs

phillyesq
12-17-2009, 01:07 PM
We'll be breaking out these before Cowher becomes GM.

http://www.onlinesports.com/images/hcs2103.gif

And yinz know my take on that.

:D

Haha, well said.

Cowher joining the team solely in a GM capacity makes no sense whatsoever.

LordVile
12-17-2009, 03:18 PM

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

I wasn't calling you dumb or your friend dumb. Just the outlandish possibility of a team getting rid of a successful, established personnel guru for a former coach with no experience on this side of the NFL business. Just because Cowher was a good motivator on the sidelines does not mean that he can successfully handle a draft room or effectively manage the salary cap during free agency. Even if ESPN radio reported it, the idea is still dumb.

How does one get a job as an NFL general manager? Start out as a scout and work your way up.

Oh cool man, I thought you were jumping on my back and calling me a dumb asss for the mere mention of what I heard second hand, but I'm glad that ISN'T THE CASE = )
You seem pretty cool in the past but you never know if someone wants to LASH OUT on another person because of the crappy season we are having. My buddy told me to research the info in order to CONFIRM wut he heard briefly on his morning drive to work or find any articles, but I can't find any info on this. I'll take it with a grain of salt until I see a definitive article that there is any interest.

LordVile
12-17-2009, 03:27 PM

HAHA! I was born in 1979 but am only a 2 year STEELERS fan/or football fan in general and my buddy was born in 1978, basically he was born into STEELERNATION, I've seen family pictures of him wearing a steelers baby t-shirt and all thru his youth. That's always been his team since the early days and still is. Even when his dad bandwaggoned over to the 49'ers in the 80's. Great years to be born, 3 and 4th SB wins!

But as far who he liked, BRADSHAW is the man.

pfelix73
12-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Personally, if Cowher would be interested in coaching the Steelers again, I'd show Tomlin the door. It won't happen and Cowher needs a team like the Redskins with all the ca$h to spend on whomever he likes, but if he showed interest in coming back home again, I'd welcome him back.

:tt1

stlrz d
12-17-2009, 09:39 PM
Personally, if Cowher would be interested in coaching the Steelers again, I'd show Tomlin the door. It won't happen and Cowher needs a team like the Redskins with all the ca$h to spend on whomever he likes, but if he showed interest in coming back home again, I'd welcome him back.

:tt1

Cowher showed in '06 that a big contract and more control were the most important things to him.

I'll pass.

JTP53609
12-18-2009, 08:41 AM
06 was a lost year from the start, we were without a healthy qb for the first half of the season and were injury prone thoughout.....we finished the year 6-2...