PDA

View Full Version : my take on this debacle.

countdraculaincleats
12-16-2009, 04:57 PM
i dont post often but read the board religiously. What do you guys think of moving woodley inside with fox, and timmons on the outside? I think Timmons is better suited for the outside. I still cant believe this monumental collapse. I like Tomlin alot but the coach speak is getting old. This team is an absolute joke this year. I mean wtf we lost to the browns. THE BROWNS!!!!!!!!!!!! Im willing to give them a pass this year because of our super bowl victory, but we have a very interesting offseason coming. :tt1

Chadman
12-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Woodley is a very effective pass rusher, but hasstruggles in pass defense & isn't wonderful (not bad) at run defense. Moving him inside kind of takes away what he is good at.

Still not sure why people are down on Timmons. A few weeks ago we were all happy with Timmons playmaking ability, his athletisism etc.

Beginning of the season, we were all down on Foote & his lack of athletisism.

Fox is a younger version of Foote- yet there are those calling for Fox to be a starter.

Until we had that unsubstantiated report the other day of 'some coaches calling for Fox to start over Timmons', most of us were excited by Timmons & his playmaking abilities.

Now we want him replaced?

Is Timmons directly responsible for the Steelers collapse? Teams still can't run that well on the Steelers. And it hasn't been Timmons getting beat on 3rd & long through the air.

JTP53609
12-16-2009, 07:27 PM
i think the same thing sometimes regarding timmons going to OLB and Woodley moving ILB....they both have the build to make the move, I think TImmons would succeed with the move (I know it takes a ton more than just moving to a new position and playing).....

phillyesq
12-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Woodley had a slow start, but since then, he has sacks in 5 straight games, and 7 sacks overall in his last five games. He is just fine where is.

Chadman, as for Timmons, I haven't been impressed with him at all this season. In the Browns game, I saw him get pushed back defending the run, and he got beat down the seam by a nobody tight end for a third down conversion. I just haven't seen much explosive playmaking from him. This is his third year, and it is time for him to start producing. Aside from two sacks where he was unblocked against the Ravens, the rest of his sacks have come against the likes of the Chiefs, Browns and Lions. Last year, as a situational player, he was effective, but he doesn't seem to be much of a force at all this year.

Chadman
12-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Fair enough. Chadman still thinks Timmons has shown more burst & playmaking ability than a number of his team mates this season.

Yes, he has his struggles in the run game, but that is not really the sort of player he is. Adequate in the run game, but not great. His specialty is against the passing game.

But still- the Steelers problems have not been against the run.

It's the pass that kills them.

SidSmythe
12-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Seriously people, this isn't EA SPORTS MADDEN 2010

Oviedo
12-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Woodley had a slow start, but since then, he has sacks in 5 straight games, and 7 sacks overall in his last five games. He is just fine where is.

Chadman, as for Timmons, I haven't been impressed with him at all this season. In the Browns game, I saw him get pushed back defending the run, and he got beat down the seam by a nobody tight end for a third down conversion. I just haven't seen much explosive playmaking from him. This is his third year, and it is time for him to start producing. Aside from two sacks where he was unblocked against the Ravens, the rest of his sacks have come against the likes of the Chiefs, Browns and Lions. Last year, as a situational player, he was effective, but he doesn't seem to be much of a force at all this year.

I just don't get the downers on Timmons. Despite the myth about Timmons and the ridiculous, delusional "legendary" contributions of Larry Foote, this defense is a still a top rated defense against the run with him in the line up. The opponents running attack hasn't beaten us in any game.

Some facts:
1. Despite missing games, Timmons is 5th on the team in tackles with 64, 19 more than Woodley
2. Timmons is third on the team with 6 sacks. Way more production than we ever got out of "Legend" Foote.

As a first year full time starter who has been playing through injuries all season, Timmons has done great.

The only position move that makes sense regarding Timmons and Woodley is the defense changing to a 4-3 and Woodley going to a DE and Timmons playing OLB in a 4-3 defense ala Derrick Brooks.

RuthlessBurgher
12-17-2009, 11:16 AM

I just don't get the downers on Timmons. Despite the myth about Timmons and the ridiculous, delusional "legendary" contributions of Larry Foote, this defense is a still a top rated defense against the run with him in the line up. The opponents running attack hasn't beaten us in any game.

Some facts:
1. Despite missing games, Timmons is 5th on the team in tackles with 64, 19 more than Woodley
2. Timmons is third on the team with 6 sacks. Way more production than we ever got out of "Legend" Foote.

As a first year full time starter who has been playing through injuries all season, Timmons has done great.

The only position move that makes sense regarding Timmons and Woodley is the defense changing to a 4-3 and Woodley going to a DE and Timmons playing OLB in a 4-3 defense ala Derrick Brooks.

Even though I am not a proponent of moving to the 4-3 at this time myself, I think this is much more realistic than the idea of moving Woodley inside in the 3-4 and moving Timmons and Fox outside in the 3-4 as the original poster suggested.

Oviedo
12-17-2009, 11:34 AM

Some facts:

Even though I am not a proponent of moving to the 4-3 at this time myself, I think this is much more realistic than the idea of moving Woodley inside in the 3-4 and moving Timmons and Fox outside in the 3-4 as the original poster suggested.

You should have lots to post then when we move to the 4-3 in the off season
:stirpot :stirpot

This season has given all the impetus and motivation necessary to retool the defense. I think action will be taken.

phillyesq
12-17-2009, 11:44 AM

Some facts:

First, I've never said that Larry Foote was great. I think Larry Foote was a solid contributor, the kind of guy who allowed playmakers to make plays.

As for Timmons, I don't understand the love for him. What is it that he has accomplished? He is not a force making game changing plays. He seems to be all potential without the matching results. On the big Cribbs return, Timmons looked slow and lost, while the punter blew up Cribbs. He just seems like a soft, finesse type player.

Timmons does fit better in a 4-3 defense as an OLB. For whatever reason, Tomlin fell in love with him, and has been trying to jam this square peg into a round hole for three seasons now. These are the Steelers. A team where linebacker after linebacker has flourished. A team that almost annually sends at least one LB to the pro bowl. And yet Timmons, the 15th overall pick in the draft, after three years, can maybe, at best, be considered an average player at his position.

So that is why I don't care for Timmons. He certainly isn't the only problem on defense, but I don't think that he is part of the solution, either.