PDA

View Full Version : Bettis: "The Steelers are done"

Jom112
12-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Per PFT:

Jerome Bettis has seen his share of Steelers teams that have fought through adversity. This year's version doesn't pass the sniff test.

"The Steelers are done. It's not official yet, but pretty much. When you lose your spirit, then everything is pretty much gone," Bettis said on the Dan Patrick Show Wednesday. "And that's what I saw when they hit the field against the Cleveland Browns."

We've heard Bettis speak on a variety of football topics and he's usually cautious to throw a team, especially his former team, under the ... well, you know.

"It tells me the leadership isn't there," Bettis said. "There was a lack of commitment. The season is basically over."

Bettis doesn't think that Mike Tomlin's message is getting through to the team. Tomlin has largely avoided criticism during the team's collapse, but Bettis' words are noteworthy.

"I know there had to be a disconnect between the head coach's message and the players. You hear coach Tomlin talking about unleashing hell, and they go out and lay an egg . . . I don't think the players responded to it in practice, either week in practice: The Oakland week or the Cleveland week."

Tomlin isn't going anywhere, so Bettis' comments make us think the Steelers could be in for some dramatic roster movement this offseason to find players willing to listen.

Who performs over the next three weeks may go a long way towards deciding what Steelers gets to stay.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-16-2009, 01:28 PM
wow.

groundbreaking stuff.

you must be a real beatdown in the realz.

Jom112
12-16-2009, 01:29 PM
wow.

groundbreaking stuff.

It is pretty much what Mundy has already said...

JTP53609
12-16-2009, 01:37 PM
the steelers are not done, they play like they are, but there is still a pulse....

NC Steeler Fan
12-16-2009, 01:45 PM
wow.

groundbreaking stuff.

Hey, tough guy, don't shoot the messenger.

Why don't you go find Bettis and call him out? :roll:

grotonsteel
12-16-2009, 01:45 PM
I hope they are done...Steelers can climb to 7-10th position in draft...i don't want 8-8 season and miss playoffs...

I prefer 6-10 record and miss playoffs...

Jom112
12-16-2009, 01:47 PM
[quote="Eddie Spaghetti":336oys6h]wow.

groundbreaking stuff.

Why don't you go find Bettis and call him out? :roll:[/quote:336oys6h]

:Bow

I was just trying to relay a story. And I want to thank you guys in advance for beating the Ravens in a couple of weeks...

phillyesq
12-16-2009, 01:47 PM
I think this raises an interesting point. Is Tomlin getting through to the team? It seems that there have been a few people now suggesting that he is not. This is the first time that Tomlin has been faced with adversity, and he doesn't seem to be handling it all that well.

papillon
12-16-2009, 01:49 PM
I hope they are done...Steelers can climb to 7-10th position in draft...i don't want 8-8 season and miss playoffs...

Screw that! They need to man up and play them all like it matters. Anyone laying down should be released immediately and that includes Ben. They need to sack up and finish the season like champions.

Pappy

PSU_dropout43
12-16-2009, 01:51 PM
LVG is right. Tomlin = Barry Switzer :shock:

Eddie Spaghetti
12-16-2009, 02:01 PM
[quote="Eddie Spaghetti":2pt158x5]wow.

groundbreaking stuff.

Why don't you go find Bettis and call him out? :roll:[/quote:2pt158x5]

screw him.

just find it pathetic he spends so much time on a steelers board trying to kiss up.

maybe you can find a bengals board and do the same.

Jom112
12-16-2009, 02:16 PM
screw him.

just find it pathetic he spends so much time on a steelers board trying to kiss up.

maybe you can find a bengals board and do the same.

You're entertaining. Do you come in non-retarded?

BTW, I remember your username. I'm pretty sure you've spent some time on the Bengals board in the past...

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2009, 02:16 PM
[quote="NC Steeler Fan":2uaot54n][quote="Eddie Spaghetti":2uaot54n]wow.

groundbreaking stuff.

Why don't you go find Bettis and call him out? :roll:[/quote:2uaot54n]

screw him.

maybe you can find a bengals board and do the same.[/quote:2uaot54n]

I love how being civil and intelligent is considered kissing up. :moon

Dude likes talking football over childish internet tough guy p!$$!ing matches. :stirpot

I can respect that, regardless of his poor taste in NFL teams. :bungalssuck

Jom didn't even state an opinion here. He just posted a relevant article. :wft

From now on, whenever fordfixer posts an article I disagree with, I'm going to give him a beatdown. :twisted:

ghettoscott
12-16-2009, 02:28 PM

:wft

is this English?

Jigawatts
12-16-2009, 02:30 PM
LVG is right. Tomlin = Barry Switzer :shock:

I'm not as delusional as some people and I don't expect the Steelers to to win the
Super Bowl every year. There are 31 other teams that are on scholarship as well.

But I do expect this team to reload and right the ship after a lost season such as
this. Let's see if Tomlin can right the ship next year before he's demoted to an
underpaid janitor.

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2009, 02:37 PM

is this English?

It's ghetto slang! Shouldn't you know that? I'm beginning to think that you are only suburbanscott. :wink:

papillon
12-16-2009, 03:08 PM

is this English?

It's ghetto slang! Shouldn't you know that? I'm beginning to think that you are only suburbanscott. :wink:

This is funny right here and I don't care who ya are.

Pappy

Jigawatts
12-16-2009, 03:17 PM

is this English?

Pappy

White and Nerdy instead of Riding Dirty? :nono

Ruthless and Pap are about to be ganked. :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2009, 03:28 PM

is this English?

Pappy

White and Nerdy instead of Riding Dirty? :nono

Ruthless and Pap are about to be ganked. :lol:

http://www.bbspot.com/Images/News_Features/2006/09/nerdy/title.jpg

http://www.weirdal.com/images/solcvrms.jpg

ramblinjim
12-16-2009, 03:33 PM
I agree, Suburban Scott is kinda funny. Remember CB4? :-)

JOM is good people as far as I'm concerned, he can talk a little good natured trash and he can take a lot of good natured trash. And he knows football, I'll take him on the board any day.

of course :bungalssuck but hey!

ghettoscott
12-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Maaaaaan, I am OG-TRIPLE-OG!!! I went to school and learnt me a thing or two...usually i can hang with the street slang but i have no idea what spaghetti is talking about.

A few weeks ago i was at the corner sto' buying me a .40oz and this one gang banger kept eyeballin' me...he was a few people in front of me and kept turning around and staring at me. I know I am a handsome and all but i had no idea why dude was checking me out. After he paid he walked out the door and shot me one more glance over his shoulder. I thought nothing of it....as i was leaving with my beer he was standing outside and said "pssst, hey playa let me talk to you". So of course i walked over and said whats up? he then asked me " you fukkin with that white girl?" I turned around and looked for said white girl...."uh, no man, i am just buying a beer".....again he said "you aint fukkin with that white girl?" ..no man, i dont know what white girl you are talking about, i just bought a beer. "Nooo man, white girl, cocaine...." :?

nah man, i dont mess with that stuff...." aiight man, my name is big mike, i just got a car, if you need anything let me know..." Uh, okay, thanks big mike. then dude proceeded to walk home.

moral of the story. I have no idea anymore what these young bucks are talkilng about....in the realz. :wft

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2009, 04:21 PM
A million magic crystals, painted pure and white
A multi-million dollars almost overnight
Twice as sweet as sugar, twice as bitter as salt
And if you get hooked, baby, it's nobody else's fault, so don't do it!

Get higher, baby!
And don't ever come down! FREEBASE!!!

:lol:

papillon
12-16-2009, 05:07 PM

Get higher, baby!

You're a scary white dude... :P From NEPA no less, who knew?

Pappy

Eddie Spaghetti
12-16-2009, 05:26 PM
BTW, I remember your username. I'm pretty sure you've spent some time on the Bengals board in the past...

no, you don't.

if you can provide one instance of me "spending time" on a bengals message board, i will kms.

i think it's cute you like to be "that fan" who haunts a rival teams message board looking for acceptance. like i said, you're a beatdown.

good luck in the playoffs, ya'll wont win a farking game.

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2009, 05:30 PM

Get higher, baby!

You're a scary white dude... :P From NEPA no less, who knew?

Pappy

[youtube:aphxcchd]yNhUnEzzkmc[/youtube:aphxcchd]

Truthfully, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to new hip hop stuff (not my THANG), but I do know old Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five stuff!!!

Don't push me, Pap! Cuz I'm close...to...the...edge. I'm try...in' not to lose...my...head. It's like a jungle in Scranton sometimes, Pap. Five game losing streaks make me wonder how I keep from going under.
:P

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2009, 05:32 PM

no, you don't.

if you can provide one instance of me "spending time" on a bengals message board, i will kms.

i think it's cute you like to be "that fan" who haunts a rival teams message board looking for acceptance. like i said, you're a beatdown.

good luck in the playoffs, ya'll wont win a farking game.

Jom, maybe it was Teddy Spaghetti or Freddie Spaghetti. Vomit on my sweater already...Mom's spaghetti.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Jom, maybe it was Teddy Spaghetti or Freddie Spaghetti. Vomit on my sweater already...Mom's spaghetti.

SUPERFAN!!!!!!!!!

not surprising you run to his defense.

post another funny gif!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

eniparadoxgma
12-16-2009, 05:51 PM
you're a beatdown.

Wtf does that mean? Seriously?

Also, this thread is the bombdiggity.

Yo. :tt1

aggiebones
12-16-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm calling BS on this article, especially this part:
"We've heard Bettis speak on a variety of football topics and he's usually cautious to throw a team, especially his former team, under the ... well, you know."

He actually always throws his team under the bus cause its the only way he gets any attention because frankly he's not very good at the media game. He gets on TV when knocking his team down a peg.

Its the same EXACT leadership as last year. Don't give me that BS.
Guys got hurt, some new guys didn't fare well and guys didn't really recover from last season's Super Bowl hangover. I think not making the playoffs could be OK, cause guys need that hunger back. Playing football year round which is what you almost do when you win the Super Bowl can wear on even the toughest football mentality.
We won 2 out of the last 4 Super Bowls with similar leadership.

Don't fall for the leadership void excuse, its not legit. Sheet happens and seasons get away sometimes.

NC Steeler Fan
12-16-2009, 06:27 PM
I'm calling BS on this article, especially this part:
"We've heard Bettis speak on a variety of football topics and he's usually cautious to throw a team, especially his former team, under the ... well, you know."

He actually always throws his team under the bus cause its the only way he gets any attention because frankly he's not very good at the media game. He gets on TV when knocking his team down a peg.

Its the same EXACT leadership as last year. Don't give me that BS.
Guys got hurt, some new guys didn't fare well and guys didn't really recover from last season's Super Bowl hangover. I think not making the playoffs could be OK, cause guys need that hunger back. Playing football year round which is what you almost do when you win the Super Bowl can wear on even the toughest football mentality.
We won 2 out of the last 4 Super Bowls with similar leadership.

Don't fall for the leadership void excuse, its not legit. Sheet happens and seasons get away sometimes.

Quit screwing up this thread by getting it back on topic! :lol: :wink:

This is most I've laughed all day!

"Do you come in non-retarded?"

Priceless! :lol:

ghettoscott
12-16-2009, 07:44 PM

SUPERFAN!!!!!!!!!

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/10/13/128683587737623360.jpg

Jigawatts
12-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Back off topic for NC's enjoyment.

Betty Spaghetti from A League of Their Own?

Spaghetti Ragetti from Grumpier Old Men?

That's all I can think of.

Asta La Pasta.

fordfixer
12-16-2009, 08:08 PM
[quote="NC Steeler Fan":1awxif2o][quote="Eddie Spaghetti":1awxif2o]wow.

groundbreaking stuff.

Why don't you go find Bettis and call him out? :roll:

screw him.

maybe you can find a bengals board and do the same.[/quote:1awxif2o]

I love how being civil and intelligent is considered kissing up. :moon

Dude likes talking football over childish internet tough guy p!$$!ing matches. :stirpot

I can respect that, regardless of his poor taste in NFL teams. :bungalssuck

Jom didn't even state an opinion here. He just posted a relevant article. :wft

From now on, whenever fordfixer posts an article I disagree with, I'm going to give him a beatdown. :twisted:[/quote:1awxif2o]

Bring it on bobble head jesus :lol: :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2009, 08:57 PM

SUPERFAN!!!!!!!!!

Well, pardon me for having a sense of humor. :moon

I suggest you get one. They're fun! :Binky

Shoe
12-16-2009, 11:08 PM

Screw that! They need to man up and play them all like it matters. Anyone laying down should be released immediately and that includes Ben. They need to sack up and finish the season like champions.

Pappy

Absolutely right Pap...

They are not paid to place an importance value on football games... and play accordingly.

They are played to PLAY to WIN football games... unless they are willing to donate their six-figure game checks to charity.

stlrz d
12-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Ok now you guys are just piling

[youtube:ria2ju45]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-JytbHDRG0U&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-JytbHDRG0U&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:ria2ju45]

steelblood
12-17-2009, 08:39 AM
I know that JOM is cool, but I can see how someone would get pissed about a Bengals' fan posting an article about an ex-Steeler highlighting the team's collapse. It is easy to infer an ulterior motive. You could imagine JOM twisting the end of his evil handle-bar mustache as he laughs fiendishly and hits the "submit" button.

But,....

Spaghetti, you are wrong this time. JOM is alright. He loves cornhole and dogfood chili, sure. But, he adds quite a bit to this board with his insight into his team and ours. He also knows the college game. If all trolls were like JOM and Hardliner, we have to stop calling them trolls.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-17-2009, 11:03 AM
my problem is the asshat couldn't wait 10 minutes to run post this on a steeler message board.

check the time it was posted on PFT and the time he posted it here.

like i said, the guy must be a real beatdown in the realz.

but you guys go ahead and kiss his butt if you think it makes you a "better fan".

RuthlessBurgher
12-17-2009, 11:10 AM
my problem is the asshat couldn't wait 10 minutes to run post this on a steeler message board.

but you guys go ahead and kiss his butt if you think it makes you a "better fan".

I posted the story about Chris Henry's accident 10 minutes after it was posted on ESPN.com.

Does that mean I am piling on Jom's Bengals because of an extremely unfortunate incident that happened to a member of that team? No. Just posting a relevant story.

None of us have any reason why we would feel the need to kiss the butt of a Bengals fan. But when guys show up on the board that are good guys, then tend to be treated like good guys by most of us. Jom's not the one being an asshat.

Jom112
12-17-2009, 11:49 AM
if you think it makes you a "better fan".

I went to the Bengals home-opener this season against the Broncos. I took my wife with me since she's trying to get into football or at least Bengals football. When we were walking to the stadium we saw a group of Broncos fans across the street.

So my wife said we should start booing them and give them a hard time, thinking that is what you're supposed to do to opposing fans. I told her not to, because while it's always fun to talk some trash, you don't just go around yelling and booing at other fans just because they root for an opposing team. You don't need to act like an azzhat everytime you see someone in an opposing teams colors.

If you're one of those people that thinks your a "better fan" because you curse out opposing fans in front of their 10 year old kids, then your "a beatdown in the realz". I think I used that phrase correctly.

I used to do nothing but trash talking, but after a while that gets old. At a certain point you just want to talk football. I used to do it on the Bengals board but the negativity on their just got annoying. Right now there are threads saying Carson is done and we should draft Tim Tebow to replace him. That is why I'm over here a decent amount.

The other reason is the Bengals board is blocked by my works firewall, but for some reason this site isn't. Apparently this site is listed as a "Message board"...

RuthlessBurgher
12-17-2009, 12:12 PM
at least Bengals football.

I thought this part was funny.

We say "There is football...and then there is Steeler football" and that is a compliment to our team.

You say "There is football...and then there is Bengal football" and that is an insult to your team.

Maybe not this year per se, but in general. :bungalssuck I do my trash-talking via smileys. :P

steelblood
12-17-2009, 12:25 PM
I know that JOM is cool, but I can see how someone would get pissed about a Bengals' fan posting an article about an ex-Steeler highlighting the team's collapse. It is easy to infer an ulterior motive. You could imagine JOM twisting the end of his evil handle-bar mustache as he laughs fiendishly and hits the "submit" button.

But,....

Spaghetti, you are wrong this time. JOM is alright. He loves cornhole and dogfood chili, sure. But, he adds quite a bit to this board with his insight into his team and ours. He also knows the college game. If all trolls were like JOM and Hardliner, we would have to stop calling them trolls.

ANPSTEEL
12-17-2009, 01:04 PM

Get higher, baby!

you just had to go there...

now i'm gonna have this stupid song stuck in my head all day.

just for that:

edit: for some reason- I cant get the vid to embed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irDiuOMww-Y

phillyesq
12-17-2009, 01:12 PM

Um, he saw an article of interest, and posted it for discussion. Big deal. Exactly how long is he supposed to wait before posting?

Count me among those who enjoys seeing football fans who follow other teams post on this board. The different perspectives enhance the discussion, IMO. On the other hand, what exactly is it that you're contributing here?

RuthlessBurgher
12-17-2009, 01:36 PM

Get higher, baby!

you just had to go there...

now i'm gonna have this stupid song stuck in my head all day.

just for that:

edit: for some reason- I cant get the vid to embed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irDiuOMww-Y

Your diabolical scheme did not work. I am unable to access streaming video at work, so whatever song you posted here will not be stuck in my head all day. I'll have to check back later when I get home. Maybe whatever it is will get stuck in my head this evening instead.

Oh, and by the way:

White Lines
Blowin’ through my mind
High price
For us to unwind
Something like a phenomenon
Tellin' your body to come along
But white lines
Blow away...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_QJgOmuroXV4/SMsPpgmlj9I/AAAAAAAAAWQ/7MbMMVE-bps/s400/white+lines.jpg

eniparadoxgma
12-17-2009, 05:40 PM
I really just want to know wtf "beatdown" means in this context because I've never heard it used like that before...ever. :)