PDA

View Full Version : Watching next year's players.

steelblood
12-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Burnett, Mundy, and Foster will all be auditioning for a legitimate shot at a training camp battle for a starting role. They're play may also mold our draft strategy. Young players like Hood, Timmons, Wallace (who has been inconsistent lately), D. Johnson, and perhaps even Dixon (if he sees action) could or should be under the microscope as well. I look for Ziggy, Burnett, and Wallace to impress in the final games. What do you think? Who am I missing?

MeetJoeGreene
12-16-2009, 09:04 AM
The one name that appears to have slipped through your hands is Sweed.

SidSmythe
12-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Sweed better impress down the stretch or they'll be looking to draft some serious competition.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers are already high on Burnett . . . now's his time to shine and get an INT.

Oviedo
12-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Remember who first brought Burnett to the attention of this illustrious group :wink:

Seriously though, I also felt that Burnett would be an outstanding 5th DB playing in the nickle. I am very interested to see how he matches up as a potential starter against bigger recivers. He has great ball skills but he IMO still has to prove he can't be exploited by tall receivers.

stlrz d
12-16-2009, 09:48 AM
I think the offense as a unit has been fairly inconsistent. Not just Wallace. With the exception of Holmes and Mendy, for the most part.

At any rate, I want to see Sweed get some serious PT. I want to be able to sit down, watch a game and see what he does when given more opportunity than a play here or a play there.

frankthetank1
12-16-2009, 10:15 AM
I think the offense as a unit has been fairly inconsistent. Not just Wallace. With the exception of Holmes and Mendy, for the most part.

At any rate, I want to see Sweed get some serious PT. I want to be able to sit down, watch a game and see what he does when given more opportunity than a play here or a play there.

i agree about wallace. the entire offense has been inconsistent. wallace hasn't had any drops lately or anything. he hasnt gotten all that many balls thrown to him of late. i also agree about sweed. how can he improve if he doesnt get in games? its better to know what the steelers have in sweed sooner than later.

Oviedo
12-16-2009, 10:18 AM

Totally agree that Sweed needs to get enough playing time to get into the flow of the game even if that means Hines is on the sideline resting his bad hammy. We will never know what Sweed can do if he is forced to stand on the sideline for 20 minutes and then gets one play then back to the sideline for 20 minutes.

steelblood
12-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Remember who first brought Burnett to the attention of this illustrious group :wink:

Seriously though, I also felt that Burnett would be an outstanding 5th DB playing in the nickle. I am very interested to see how he matches up as a potential starter against bigger recivers. He has great ball skills but he IMO still has to prove he can't be exploited by tall receivers.

Burnett definitely is a ballhawk. Unfortunately, his hands have not proven to be a strong suit yet. He dropped punts in the preseason and the int last week. Hopefully, he overcomes this. The last thing we need is another corner with bad hands. At any rate, he seems like a better player than Lewis (at least so far).

I agree that his skill set is probably best for nickel corner covering quick, small slot receivers.

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2009, 10:26 AM
They should also have Keenan Lewis on the active gameday roster to contribute instead of on the inactive list, thereby spending Sunday afternoons in street clothes.

steelblood
12-16-2009, 10:31 AM
They should also have Keenan Lewis on the active gameday roster to contribute instead of on the inactive list, thereby spending Sunday afternoons in street clothes.

Tomlin addressed Lewis in the PC. He said Lewis needs to earn a SP spot during the week to play on Sunday.

Oviedo
12-16-2009, 12:15 PM

Tomlin addressed Lewis in the PC. He said Lewis needs to earn a SP spot during the week to play on Sunday.

Translation: He hasn't figured out LeBeau's complex scheme yet.

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2009, 01:06 PM

Yeah, he actually prefers to blanket his man instead of giving him a 15 yard cushion. What's his problem???

grotonsteel
12-16-2009, 01:07 PM

What so complex about 10 yard cushion plays????

I think Keenan Lewis is one of the DB who can catch the ball hence Tomlin/LeBeau is upset with him... 8)

phillyesq
12-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Burnett, Mundy, and Foster will all be auditioning for a legitimate shot at a training camp battle for a starting role. They're play may also mold our draft strategy. Young players like Hood, Timmons, Wallace (who has been inconsistent lately), D. Johnson, and perhaps even Dixon (if he sees action) could or should be under the microscope as well. I look for Ziggy, Burnett, and Wallace to impress in the final games. What do you think? Who am I missing?

I think Foster will really have to improve to audition for a starting role. He seems to have no pulling ability, which likely means that if anything, he is going to be competing with Essex at RG, and not Kemo at LG. Because of his versatility, his biggest asset may be his ability to be the game day backup at 4 of the 5 OL spots.

I'd like to see both Burnett and Ziggy make some plays. I hope that Burnett will be able to seize at least the nickel role next year.

Johnson seems to have established himself as a decent blocker with very limited receiving ability. I think that McHugh was probably a bit better in that role, but I think Johnson will stick as a cheaper option that does essentially the same thing.

cruzer8
12-16-2009, 03:15 PM

Burnett definitely is a ballhawk. Unfortunately, his hands have not proven to be a strong suit yet. He dropped punts in the preseason and the int last week. Hopefully, he overcomes this. The last thing we need is another corner with bad hands. At any rate, he seems like a better player than Lewis (at least so far).

I agree that his skill set is probably best for nickel corner covering quick, small slot receivers.

In his defense those are two very different skill sets.

He may not be a punt returner if he can't handle the ball cleanly, but I'm not going to say he has bad hands as a DB after one drop on only one opportunity.

ramblinjim
12-16-2009, 03:47 PM
I want to see Sweed play enough these next three games and in next years pre-season to determine if he stays on this team. And he doesn't have to have three 100 yard games either, he could well be a brutal blocker in the running game and short passing game and have three 60 yard games.

I'd like to see Harris play on the DL, see if he has starters potential or see if he can replace Kirschke in the lineup.

Hood's going to be around next year, it would be good to see him get some game time also, maybe do some serious Dline rotation with the guys the next three games. I also can't imagine that Lewis, Burnett and Mundy won't get more playing time these next three games.

There is a very large piece of me that thinks 6-10 and no playoffs is better than 9-7 and no playoffs, that we go for the top 12 draft pick but ending the season on an 8 game losing streak could well carry over to next year and I don't want to see that either. I'd just like our team to go out, lay it all on the line and if we finish 6-10 then we finish 6-10 playing our @sses off, hitting some people and maybe ruining someone's playoff chance (all three of our next games will have playoff implications for our opponents)

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2009, 03:51 PM
I want to see Sweed play enough these next three games and in next years pre-season to determine if he stays on this team. And he doesn't have to have three 100 yard games either, he could well be a brutal blocker in the running game and short passing game and have three 60 yard games.

I'd like to see Harris play on the DL, see if he has starters potential or see if he can replace Kirschke in the lineup.

Hood's going to be around next year, it would be good to see him get some game time also, maybe do some serious Dline rotation with the guys the next three games. I also can't imagine that Lewis, Burnett and Mundy won't get more playing time these next three games.

There is a very large piece of me that thinks 6-10 and no playoffs is better than 9-7 and no playoffs, that we go for the top 12 draft pick but ending the season on an 8 game losing streak could well carry over to next year and I don't want to see that either. I'd just like our team to go out, lay it all on the line and if we finish 6-10 then we finish 6-10 playing our @sses off, hitting some people and maybe ruining someone's playoff chance (all three of our next games will have playoff implications for our opponents)

How do we ruin anyone's playoff chances by losing all 3 of our remaining games?

ramblinjim
12-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Sorry Ruthless, the boss walked in and I just hit "submit" without reading it.

Of course, we could just beat a team like the Ravens up so much that it becomes a Pyrrhic victory for them; thus ruining their playoff chances. Of course if we beat up the Ravens that much and still lose then our team would probably all be in the hospital.

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2009, 04:07 PM
You made up for it by using "Pyrrhic victory" in your subsequent post. :Clap