PDA

View Full Version : What kind of comp pick will we get

steelerkeylargo
12-15-2009, 04:47 PM
for Foote and McFadden.

A 4 and a 5?

Did we cut Foote or was his contract up? Cant recall? If we cut him no comp!!

Oviedo
12-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Foote was released

Jom112
12-15-2009, 05:07 PM
My guesses:

4th Round Pick - Bryant McFadden
5th Round Pick - Nate Washington

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2009, 05:20 PM
We lost Bryant McFadden, Nate Washington, Byron Leftwich, and Marvel Smith (although he may not qualify for the formula since he retired during training camp...not sure...actually, I'm not sure if Byron qualifies since he was only here for a year before signing elsewhere).

We signed Shaun McDonald and Keiwan Ratliff. Neither signed for enough money to qualify for the equation (it is interesting that neither is on our team anymore).

Nate's deal was 6 years $26.8 million.
McFadden's deal was 2 years $10 million.
Leftwich's deal was 2 years $7.5 million.
Marvel's deal was 2 years $10.5 million.

I wouldn't get too excited about getting an early comp pick. I'd say maybe a couple of fifth rounders at first glance.

steelerkeylargo
12-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Well I have to agree that 2 (5)'s are the likely scenario. Under that I would propose the following. Trade our 3rd and 4th for the first pick in the 3rd round. Trade our 5/6/7 for a 4th round pick. Giving us the following

1/16 (just a guess but sounds about right)
2/48
3/65
4/??
5/comp
5/comp

I think this would give us the best shot at restocking enough quality players to put us back into the type of team we are used to being.

SteelerNation1
12-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Based on last years garbage of us getting a 5th for stupid faneca and his huge contract and pro bowl season, I'd say we get a 7th at best.

Jom112
12-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Based on last years garbage of us getting a 5th for stupid faneca and his huge contract and pro bowl season, I'd say we get a 7th at best.

10 year rule that screwed you guys. Should have gotten rid of Faneca right after the SB... :lol:

Marvel Smith luckily for you guys only had 9 years with your team. But with the whole retirement thing, I'm not sure how that plays out comp pick wise...

papillon
12-15-2009, 11:40 PM
After last year's debacle my guess is that the Steelers get a 6th and a 7th at best, probably a 6th only or a 7th only. A 4th is absolutely out of the question and a 5th is almost in the same boat.

Pappy

phillyesq
12-16-2009, 01:59 PM
I would guess probably a fifth for McFadden, a fifth for Nate, and perhaps a seventh for Lefty.

This guy does an amazing job predicting comp picks and explaining the system. He hasn't done his 2010 projections yet, but I imagine they'll be coming soon.

http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2009, 02:23 PM
I would guess probably a fifth for McFadden, a fifth for Nate, and perhaps a seventh for Lefty.

This guy does an amazing job predicting comp picks and explaining the system. He hasn't done his 2010 projections yet, but I imagine they'll be coming soon.

http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/

Yeah, it's amazing how you can get a solid rep solely on the basis of predicting NFL comp picks. I've visited his blog each of the past few years in anticipation of the comp pick announcement. Last year, even the 10 year Faneca rule got by him, though. He predicted a 3rd rounder for Faneca like the rest of us.

Chadman
12-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Honestly- this team doesn't need multiple early round picks to be successful.

One or two good early picks, a couple of 'contributors' in the middle rounds, and a couple of projects later.

DT/FS- they need instant upgrading.

CB- too many young guys to REALLY need an early pick there. 3rd or 4th would be fine.

RB- a short yardage guy can be had in the middle rounds.

DE- depth can be had in middle rounds.

TE- athletic pass catching TE's can be had as projects.

The Steelers are not so far away that they need a massive injection of talent.

2 5th rounders as comp would be great.

steelblood
12-16-2009, 07:49 PM

One or two good early picks, a couple of 'contributors' in the middle rounds, and a couple of projects later.

CB- too many young guys to REALLY need an early pick there. 3rd or 4th would be fine.

We also may need a starting RT, a backup OT, a backup SS, WR (4th and/or 5th depending on if we keep Sweed), depth at OLB (we have none), and perhaps another ILB as Farrior seams to be in the twilight of his career.

That's about 11 guys. I'm sure we'll fill 2-3 slots resigning guys or signing UFAs. Still 9 guys or so will be needed. So, I like the idea of keeping most of our picks.

We could use lots of picks this year. The talent pool could be very deep if more juniors declare to avoid a potential rookie salary cap.

steelerkeylargo
12-17-2009, 03:24 PM

We also may need a starting RT, a backup OT, a backup SS, WR (4th and/or 5th depending on if we keep Sweed), depth at OLB (we have none), and perhaps another ILB as Farrior seams to be in the twilight of his career.

That's about 11 guys. I'm sure we'll fill 2-3 slots resigning guys or signing UFAs. Still 9 guys or so will be needed. So, I like the idea of keeping most of our picks.

We could use lots of picks this year. The talent pool could be very deep if more juniors declare to avoid a potential rookie salary cap.

You guys are out of your mind wanting 9 or 10 picks. This team is a few players away from being back to SB contenders...none of our 3rd ound picks even made the field this year. We need to get the best possible players who can help us the quickest. Trade up early and often!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
12-17-2009, 03:33 PM
none of our 3rd ound picks even made the field this year.

Mike Wallace was a 3rd round pick.

steelerkeylargo
12-17-2009, 03:46 PM

So was Kraig Urbik and Keenan Lewis. I am on board with both those players. But this draft should be about immediate contibutions at OL/DL/DB

steelerkeylargo
12-17-2009, 03:47 PM

So was Kraig Urbik and Keenan Lewis. I am on board with both those players. But this draft should be about immediate contibutions at OL/DL/DB

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-17-2009, 04:01 PM

I would take out the OL and move it to the back. You forgot one.
NT-CB-ILB
Depends on Colon too. I expect Urbik to make the big jump his 2nd year. The left side is locked up. Hartwig's replacement is needed & I don't know if he is on this team yet. What I do expect is the Steelers to actually make that "ONE" FA signing that comes along every now & then.

steelerkeylargo
12-17-2009, 05:21 PM

NT-CB-ILB
Depends on Colon too. I expect Urbik to make the big jump his 2nd year. The left side is locked up. Hartwig's replacement is needed & I don't know if he is on this team yet. What I do expect is the Steelers to actually make that "ONE" FA signing that comes along every now & then.

I put DL and DB, last i checked that would cover NT and CB. I think OL and protecting our 100 million dollar investment is critical. Especially after watching a bunch of guys no one ever heard of sack Ben 8 times. The fact that Foster plays before Urbik doesnt give me the confidence that Urbik will be an upgrade next year over anyone playing this year.

Oviedo
12-17-2009, 06:09 PM

NT-CB-ILB

I put DL and DB, last i checked that would cover NT and CB. I think OL and protecting our 100 million dollar investment is critical. Especially after watching a bunch of guys no one ever heard of sack Ben 8 times. The fact that Foster plays before Urbik doesnt give me the confidence that Urbik will be an upgrade next year over anyone playing this year.

My thoughts based assumption we are draft between #13 and #17 and would take best available with our pick from one of these areas:

DB-Yes, plus may get returner benefit and not waste a roster spot on Logan. This draft is much better on the top end at safety than CB. Not a great CB draft at all. Need to keep that in mind before pushing for CB because have been told how "special" they are. Unlikely any CB except for Joe Haden, Florida will be ranked in the area we will draft. Note of caution: Haden will likely measure smaller than listed and will be about Burnett size.

DT-Absolutely yes. Need to do a real assessment if the 3-4 stays or eventually we are going to go to 4-3. If the latter you absolutely need to grab DT in Round 1 because this is a great draft for DL and in the mid Round 1 you could get a real stud who teamed with Ziggy could solidify the DL for the next 5-7 years.

OL-I wouldn't but I'm not and OL in the mid Round 1 guy unless I'm getting a Joe Thomas type player. IMO it only makes sense to draft OL in Round 1 if you are getting a OT. Starks is locked up long term so he isn't leaving and the team apparently wants to keep Colon. I wouldn't touch OL until Round 2 at the earliest and then I'm looking at Guard to push Essex AND Kemo or Center of the future. Good draft for Guards but not as good as last year for Centers.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-17-2009, 06:31 PM

NT-CB-ILB

No reason to be a smart a$$ especially when you missed what I was saying. "Last time I checked"...ILB wasn't in your post. That is the one you forgot. I agreed with your DL & DB. Nice reply. I was more specific in the DL & DB...That was my opinion. You could put pro bowlers in front of Ben he will still get sacked. New coaching should give Ben more options and sacks should go down with the same line...If Ben is coachable. Foster plays 2 positions G/RT & that is why he dresses and plays. He is better than Urbik right now but Fosters mobilty gives him a low ceiling. I think Urbik will be solid, I too am disappointed he isn't on the field.

Chadman
12-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Out of curiosity...

IF the Steelers can re-sign Hampton, taking way the 'need' to draft a NT early...

And with a strong group of Safeties in this draft being available (ie- the Steelers can still get a good Safety in Round 2)...

And with Willie Parker coming to the end, and Mewelde Moore not a viable #2 option, and with no stand-out PR/KR man on the roster....

And with spelling Rashard Mendenhall, a la the way Carolina do with their RB's, or Dallas do...

would you consider this man in Round 1?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkNT9IxEu8

RuthlessBurgher
12-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Out of curiosity...

IF the Steelers can re-sign Hampton, taking way the 'need' to draft a NT early...

And with a strong group of Safeties in this draft being available (ie- the Steelers can still get a good Safety in Round 2)...

And with Willie Parker coming to the end, and Mewelde Moore not a viable #2 option, and with no stand-out PR/KR man on the roster....

And with spelling Rashard Mendenhall, a la the way Carolina do with their RB's, or Dallas do...

No thanks. I put a young NT, safety, CB, OT, OG, OC, ILB, OLB, and DE ahead of any of the offensive skill positions (RB, WR, TE, or QB) on my personal priority list.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Out of curiosity...

He would look good in a Steelers uniform but I think the "need" factor will have many guys sitting there ranked as high as Spiller. If they don't resign Colon or get a FA replacement, I could see OT being added as a priority.

On a side note...If Spiller is fast...Jacoby Ford(#6) is a freak of nature. Wow...What explosion!

steelerkeylargo
12-18-2009, 10:44 AM
What they do with Hampton and Colon is really the key to where this draft goes. I really think that Colon will get a better offer than the steelers are willing to or should pay. That means that a first round OT is necessary to protect our 112 million dollar investment. Unless anyone likes the thought of Trai Essex at RT and Ramon Foster at RG ( I know I dont). Personally I think they Franchise Hampton and let Colon walk. That would shape our draft as such.

1st) OT
2nd) S or CB
3rd) S or CB
4th) DL

I will also say that (even though I don't condone this) if they let Hampton go there is probably never a better time to switch to a 4-3.

Woodley-Smith-Hood-Keisel

Timmons-Farrior-Harrison

RuthlessBurgher
12-18-2009, 11:13 AM
What they do with Hampton and Colon is really the key to where this draft goes. I really think that Colon will get a better offer than the steelers are willing to or should pay. That means that a first round OT is necessary to protect our 112 million dollar investment. Unless anyone likes the thought of Trai Essex at RT and Ramon Foster at RG ( I know I dont). Personally I think they Franchise Hampton and let Colon walk. That would shape our draft as such.

1st) OT
2nd) S or CB
3rd) S or CB
4th) DL

I will also say that (even though I don't condone this) if they let Hampton go there is probably never a better time to switch to a 4-3.

Woodley-Smith-Hood-Keisel

Timmons-Farrior-Harrison

If there is no CBA (as expected) then Colon could be kept for one more year with an RFA tender (in the neighborhood of $2 million). If you wanted to keep Hampton for one more year, you'd have to use the franchise tag, which would cost over $6 million (the exact numbers for 2010 aren't out yet).

steelerkeylargo
12-18-2009, 11:24 AM
In regards to the DB's. I did read somewhere last week that some "insiders" in the organization think Keenan Lewis will be a safety next year!!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-18-2009, 03:30 PM
In regards to the DB's. I did read somewhere last week that some "insiders" in the organization think Keenan Lewis will be a safety next year!!
Heard that too.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-19-2009, 12:06 PM

I believe that there is a rule that SB winners - or participants, I don't recall - would not get anything higher than a fifth. Had we not won the SB then we would have done better on Faneca.

RuthlessBurgher
12-19-2009, 01:16 PM

I believe that there is a rule that SB winners - or participants, I don't recall - would not get anything higher than a fifth. Had we not won the SB then we would have done better on Faneca.

No, it was because Faneca had been in the league for 10 years.

From Dale Lolley's blog:

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2009/03/compensatory-pick-scam-solved.html