PDA

View Full Version : Coaches on the Move.

Lonbull
12-15-2009, 03:31 AM
Each year around this time I like to examine a few coaches that may be on the move for the following year - usually I'm picking out Offensive or Defensive Coordinators that may be changing over to a Head Coaching position.

A couple of years ago I spotlighted Sean Payton as a great up and coming Head Coach. Last season I looked at Steve Spagnuolo and Todd Haley. I just enjoy seeing who's out there.

As I see it here are the teams that will most likely be looking at getting a new head coach.

Buffalo Bills - Very Likely
Washington Redskins -Very Likely
Dallas Cowboys - Possible
Tampa Bay - Possible
Jacksonville Jaguars - Possible
Houston Texans - Possible
Oakland Raiders - Always Possible
Carolina Panthers - Possible
Chicago Bears - Possible

Overall I think due to last seasons huge flush of Head Coaches this will be a relatively quiet season for "new" coaches. And there are three very good / veteran coaches available in Mike Shanahan, Bill Cowher and Jon Gruden. To some extent I think you have to consider Charlie Weis as a possible Head Coach possibility for the NFL.

*If the Bills are serious about moving to Toronto I think they'll make a big effort to grab a coach like Shanahan or Gruden - someone who will make a splash in a new city.

Here are a few up and comers I like -

My favorite:

Leslie Frazier - Defensive Coordinator - Minnesota Vikings - 243 points against - former Super Bowl Champion Chicago Bears.

Here's a guy who has a lot going for him - he's a former Super Bowl player - he's put in several seasons as a coach, and he's currently working with a very solid team (the Vikings). His one downside is that most teams looking for a Head Coach right now are probably looking for an Offensive Guy.

He helped develop the Colts Super Bowl Defense and he's got Tony Dungy as a reference - he may need to wait one more season - but I think Frazier should be at the top of the list of new Head Coaches. If the Bears decide to fire Lovie Smith (which I think would be a bad idea) Frazier seems to be a perfect fit.

In his 2nd season with the Vikings in 2008, Leslie Frazier helped guide the team to the 1st division title since 2000 and 1st playoff berth since 2004 with a 10-6 regular season and the NFC North crown. The 2008 campaign marked Frazier’s 2nd with the Vikings and his 1st as Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator, which expanded his role to include additional administrative tasks along with leading the Vikings defense. The Vikings rebounded from a 1-3 start to go 9-3 in the final 12 games in 2008, the only team in the NFL in 2008 to make the playoffs after a 1-3 start.

Combining a proven track record of winning as a player and a coach, Frazier joined the Vikings in 2007, mere days after winning Super Bowl XLI with the Indianapolis Colts. The Super Bowl title was the 2nd for Frazier, his 1st coming as a starting CB with the 1985 Chicago Bears in Super Bowl XX. Frazier marked his 10th season as an NFL coach in 2008 and has another 11 years of collegiate coaching experience. In his 10 seasons as an NFL coach, Frazier has suffered a losing season only once- his 1st season with Philadelphia in 1999. He has coached on 6 playoff teams in his 10 seasons and been a part of 5 division championships

The two best Offensive Guys, without previous HC experience (as I see it).

Mike McCoy - Denver - Offensive Coordinator -

If a big name coach doesn't end up going to Carolina **cough** Cowher **cough**, Mike McCoy might be the best answer. He's young, he's worked with the Panthers before - and while the Broncos aren't exactly a juggernaut at offense - McCoy is certainly getting alot out of very little talent. McCoy is a little green - but because he's an Offensive Coordinator he may be in demand.

Mike McCoy enters his first season as offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach for the Denver Broncos in 2009 after spending the previous nine years coaching for the Carolina Panthers. McCoy, who competed in the Broncos' 1995 training camp as a rookie free agent quarterback, was named to his current position on Jan. 20, 2009.

McCoy held a variety of positions on the Panthers' offensive staff since beginning his coaching career with the club in 2000, including working as Carolina's passing game coordinator/quarterbacks coach for the previous two seasons. He worked closely with quarterback Jake Delhomme in Carolina, helping him to his first career Pro Bowl selection (2005) and four 3,000-yard passing seasons (2003-05, '08).

The Panthers totaled three playoff appearances, two division titles, two NFC Championship Game appearances and a berth in Super Bowl XXXVIII (2003 season) during McCoy's nine years on staff. Carolina tied for the second-best record in the NFC (T-7th in NFL) from 2003-08, posting a 56-40 (.583) mark with McCoy seeing an increased role in coaching its offense in that six-year period.

Pete Carmichael Jr. - Saints - Offensive Coordinator - 466 points.

Carmichael Jr. is a very interesting pick as well - the good news is he's working under Sean Payton - the bad news is....well Payton may be getting all of the credit for their Video Game like offense. It's true that Pete Carmichael may just have excellent tools to work with and the 466 points the Saints have put up are more about outside talent and Head Coaching than anything else....but that hasn't stopped NFL Teams before when it comes to making Head Coaches (See K.C. Chiefs Todd Haley). I think Carmichael Jr. may need another season with more responsibilities to really prove his worth - but again - Offensive Coordinators may be in demand.

Parcells Tree

Bill Parcells has a pretty solid history of turning out good coaching prospects (let's not forget where Belichick got his start). I'm not saying that Parcells is the be all and end all --- but in the past several years coaches who worked with Parcells usually ended up having slightly more success (see Sean Payton). With that being said:

Michael Zimmer - Bengals - Defensive Coordinator - 217 Points Against.

Zimmer has shaped the Bengals Defense into a team to be recognized - and when you make the Bengals dangerous, people take notice. Frazier is my favorite choice because he's a former player, but Zimmer may be the best pick - especially if you've got a young team. Houston might be the perfect place for Zimmer - if Houston is looking.

Zimmer was Dallas defensive coordinator from 2000-06, including four years (’03-06) under head coach Bill Parcells. Zimmer moved to the Atlanta Falcons as coordinator in 2007, and with the departure of Bobby Petrino as Falcons head coach, members of his staff were freed to pursue other opportunities.

Zimmer is in his 16th season as an NFL coach. He joined the NFL with Dallas in 1994, and after six seasons working primarily as secondary coach, he was elevated to coordinator.

Zimmer led top-10 defenses for Dallas in both the 4-3 and 3-4 schemes. His 4-3 defenses finished fourth in net yards allowed (287.4) in 2001 and first in ’03 (253.5) And in 2005, Zimmer installed a 3-4 scheme, marking the Cowboys’ first departure from the 4-3 since the club was founded in 1960. In that transition year, Dallas finished 10th in the NFL in total defense (300.9 yards allowed per game

Hey remember us?

Cam Cameron - Offensive Coordinator - Ravens - (Former HC of Dolphins).

I really like Cameron, and I think he should definitely be given a second chance to be a Head Coach - however the Ravens haven't been especially powerful on offense this season, and some have wondered if Flacco hasn't taken a small step backwards. However (again) he's an Offensive Coordinator who has worked well with a young QB - and he has some Head Coaching experience. With the talent of say the Jacksonville Jaguars he might be a solid fit. And if the Washington Redskins strike out with all of the big names - they might want to consider Cameron.

Mike Nolan - Defensive Coordinator - Broncos - (Former HC of 49ers).

Nolan is having a spectacular season as the Broncos Defensive Coordinator....however the big question may be - why did he have so much trouble in San Francisco? While Coach Singletary hasn't quite righted the 49ers ship - he is succeeding where Nolan flopped. I see Nolan as needing another season to help people forget his 49er days - and hopefully have a few more job openings.

Probably need a little more seasoning - but you never know

A lot depends on whether we're looking at two or three Head Coaching jobs - or a surprise seven or eight Head Coaching jobs. These two guys show a lot of promise for the future - but will most likely need to wait at least one more season.

Sean McDermott - Philadelphia Eagles - Defensive Coordinator -

McDermott is in his first season as Defensive Coordinator of the Eagles - however he is the young disciple of former D.C. Jimmy Johnson. McDermott has done a solid job of keeping the Eagles defensive at a playoff level - and I think if he can repeat this performance (or improve upon it) next season - his age and the fact that he's worked for both Jimmy Johnson and Reid will certainly make him a favorite in 2011.

Incidentally - McDermott was the team mate of Mike Tomlin's at William and Mary, Sean was a Safety.

Mike Pettine - NY Jets - Defensive Coordinator - 211 points against

Pettine is definitely another coach who probably needs another season to show his ability - but the Jets are playing lights out defense and when you consider they're not getting much help from the Offensive side of the ball - Pettine looks like a very interesting candidate. He came over to the Jets with Ryan from the Ravens and (IMO) he looks like the kind of coach who will eventually be given a chance to be a Head Coach in this league very soon.

L.B.

stlrz d
12-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Since you enjoy keeping an eye on coaches I'd love to see your take on up and comers who could replace BA should he be told to get on with his life's work after this season.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-15-2009, 10:16 AM
nice read LB. As far as the Bills go, I can't see them making a move to Toronto for at least three more years - which is when their deal runs out. They were paid $75M for the 5 year deal and will see it through.

Most of the early talk centered on them contacting big name guys like Cowher and Shanny. However, many (myself included) see that as a ruse to make the fans think that they are willing to spend to get the best. I also don't see Ralph Wilson as the guy with the creativity to find the next Tomlin or Payton.

That leaves the group of failures in between. The next Jauron...lol. The long line of coaches who have failed elsewhere, but who have names that everyone recognizes. If they are lucky then maybe they will go after a Nolan or Cameron, but with this ownership I think that those names would be their ceiling.

steelblood
12-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Pete Carmichael Jr. - Saints - Offensive Coordinator - 466 points.

Carmichael Jr. is a very interesting pick as well - the good news is he's working under Sean Payton - the bad news is....well Payton may be getting all of the credit for their Video Game like offense. It's true that Pete Carmichael may just have excellent tools to work with and the 466 points the Saints have put up are more about outside talent and Head Coaching than anything else....but that hasn't stopped NFL Teams before when it comes to making Head Coaches (See K.C. Chiefs Todd Haley). I think Carmichael Jr. may need another season with more responsibilities to really prove his worth - but again - Offensive Coordinators may be in demand.

[
L.B.

I really think a team that promotes Carmichael would be really nuts. All you'd be paying for is what he's learned from Payton. Carmichael doesn't even call the plays in NO. It is Payton's offense all the way.

steelerkeylargo
12-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Since you enjoy keeping an eye on coaches I'd love to see your take on up and comers who could replace BA should he be told to get on with his life's work after this season.

Keep you eye on George Stewart-Vikes WR Coach

Vikings WRs coach George Stewart enters his 3rd season on the Vikings staff and his 21st year on an NFL sideline. Having previously coached in Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, San Francisco and Atlanta, Stewart has a proven track record of getting players to perform at the top of their games. In 2009 he will help rookie 1st-round draft choice Percy Harvin make the transition to the NFL after a standout University of Florida career.

Over the years, Stewart has also been a part of several successful programs, highlighted by 7 playoff appearances in the past 13 seasons and a pair of NFC Championship games with San Francisco in 1997 and Atlanta in 2004. Recently, Stewart helped win 2 NFC Division titles in the past 7 seasons – 2002 with San Francisco, 2004 with Atlanta and 2008 with the Vikings.

In 2008, the Vikings WRs contributed to much of the success of an improved passing attack. Led by priority free agent signing Bernard Berrian, the Vikings led the NFL with 13 TDs through the air of 20+ yards. Berrian had a career year, setting highs in yards with 964 and TDs with 7. Berrian’s 20.1 yards per catch ranked #1 in the NFL among players with 35+ catches, while on the receiving end of 2 of the 3 longest receptions in Vikings’ history with an 86-yard TD reception vs. Detroit (10/12/08) and a 99-yard TD catch vs. Chicago (11/30/08). The 99-yard strike tied an NFL mark for the longest reception in history and set a Vikings record as the longest play from scrimmage. For the 2nd straight year, Bobby Wade hauled in a team-high 53 passes and caught the longest TD of his career, snaring a 59-yarder at Arizona (12/14/08).

In his 2007 Vikings debut, Stewart had the challenge of coaching a unit that included rookie Sidney Rice and Wade, a free agent pickup. Nonetheless, each of the new players found success under Stewart’s tutelage. Wade set career-highs with 54 receptions and 647 receiving yards and Rice led the team with 4 receiving TDs. Rice, who ranked 3rd on the team with 31 catches for 396 yards, was 2nd among NFL rookies with 4 TDs.

Throughout Stewart’s coaching career, he has been fortunate to learn from some of the game’s all-time greats, beginning both his playing and early coaching careers under college legend Lou Holtz. Stewart went on to work in the NFL side-by-side with Chuck Noll, Sam Wyche, George Seifert and Dan Reeves, all men who led teams to the NFL pinnacle and a berth in the Super Bowl.

During Stewart’s tenure in Atlanta, the team won the NFC South title in 2004 and advanced to the NFC Championship game against Philadelphia. Stewart’s WRs with the Falcons included Jenkins, Lelie and Roddy White.

Prior to joining Atlanta, Stewart was an integral part of the San Francisco 49ers’ success from 1996-2002, as the team advanced to the playoffs 5 times in those 7 seasons. In 1997, the 49ers won the NFC West with a 13-3 mark and eventually lost to Green Bay in the NFC Championship game. During that time, Stewart tutored the 49ers wide receiving corps and helped elevate each of Terrell Owens, J.J. Stokes and Tai Streets performances, with Owens making Pro Bowl appearances in 3 straight seasons from 2000-02 as well as earning consensus All-Pro honors in each of those years. In the 3 seasons Stewart worked with Owens, the WR had 17 games over the 100-yard receiving mark and 5 games with 150+ yards. Before working with Stewart, Owens’ career-highs for season receptions was 67, a mark he shattered with 97, 93 and 100 respectively in 2000, ’01 and ’02. Owens set his career-high in receiving yards with 1,451 in 2000 and TDs with 16 in 2001. He broke a 50-year-old NFL record when he caught 20 passes for 283 yards against the Bears in 2000 en route to his career-best day. The 49ers wide receivers also helped the development of QB Jeff Garcia during that time span as well, as he also earned 3 Pro Bowl berths.

Stewart’s 1st taste of NFL coaching came with the Pittsburgh Steelers from 1989-91, as he served as the special teams coach on Chuck Noll’s staff. In his debut season in 1989, Stewart helped Rod Woodson earn a Pro Bowl berth as a kickoff return man. Following his 3 seasons with Pittsburgh, Stewart went on to spend 4 years working with the special teams unit in Tampa Bay, where he helped K Mike Husted earn All-Rookie honors in 1993.

Before making the move to the NFL, Stewart spent several years in the college ranks, making his final stop as the Notre Dame LBs coach from 1986-88. Under Holtz’s tutelage, the Irish steadily improved from the coach’s opening season in ‘86 to become national champions in 1988, a year in which the team finished 12-0 and defeated West Virginia in the Fiesta Bowl. The stingy Irish defense allowed opponents to score over 20 points only twice during the season. Stewart’s unit, which included Arnold Ale and Andre Jones highlighted by consensus All-America choice Frank Stams played a prominent role in the defensive success.

Stewart and Holtz began working together in 1983, when Stewart got his start in coaching as an Arkansas graduate assistant, working with the Razorbacks’ TEs. When Holtz moved from Arkansas to Minnesota as the Golden Gophers head coach in 1984, Stewart accompanied him as the offensive line coach, his 1st exposure to the state where he would return in 2007. In 2 short seasons, Holtz and his staff quickly turned the Gophers program around, finishing 7-5 in 1985 and winning the Independence Bowl over Clemson, the 1st bowl victory for the Gophers since the 1962 Rose Bowl.

Stewart was a standout player as an offensive guard for the Razorbacks from 1977-80 and helped the squad share the 1979 Southwest Conference title. The team played in four straight bowl games during Stewart’s playing tenure as Arkansas returned to national prominence under Holtz. Stewart was an All-SWC honoree as a junior in 1979, served as a team captain in 1980 and earned a spot on the Arkansas Team of the Decade for the 1970s. He signed with the Kansas City Chiefs in 1981 but spent the season on injured reserve.

Stewart has a bachelor’s degree in education from Arkansas and is a native of Little Rock, AR, where he graduated from Parkview High School in 1977

stlrz d
12-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks for that info SKL.

Lonbull
12-15-2009, 10:44 PM

Stlrz D - I was considering that when I was working on this last night. The problem as I see it (and this is just my opinion) is that Ben may want more control over the play-calling than he probably should have. If what he said is true, that he calls 40% of his own plays - I think this might pose a problem for bringing in a "name" Offensive Coordinator.

But here are a few possible choices -

Hire Within:

Ken Anderson - Good news / Bad news. Anderson would fit the bill if this is mostly about keeping Ben "happy" and letting Ben have more say in the plays they're running. Ken Anderson does have some Offensive Coordinator experience and clearly he should have a solid working relationship with Ben. This move would also give the Steelers a chance to move Charlie Batch to Quarterbacks Coach - if the Steelers really want to keep him around.

Another thing that the Steelers might like about Anderson is that he isn't necessarily a guy looking to become a Head Coach somewhere else (he's 60) and that might provide some consistency if he works out as the O.C. next season.

The Bad news is - his only O.C. experience was with the Bengals from 1996-2000, after that he went back to being a QB Coach.

Prior to joining the Pittsburgh Steelers, he was with the Jacksonville Jaguars for four years (2003-06).Anderson served as both the quarterbacks coach (2003, ’05-’06) and wide receivers coach (2004) during his stay with the Jaguars, including the past two as quarterbacks coach.

Anderson, 60, played for the Cincinnati Bengals for 16 seasons and was an assistant coach there for 10 years. He joined the team’s staff in 1993 and was the quarterbacks coach for three seasons, offensive coordinator from 1996 to 2000, and then quarterbacks coach in 2001-02.

A guy can Dream can't he?

Gary Kubiak - Houston Head Coach, and former Broncos and John Elway O.C. -

On paper you would have to think Kubiak would be perfect for the O.C. position in Pittsburgh. You'd have to think Ben would just love having Elway's former O.C. calling the plays for him - and on top of that - Ben would probably take Kubiak more seriously than a lot of other O.C.'s in the league.

However - (unlike Mike Nolan's flop in San Fran) I don't think Kubiak should look at his time in Houston as a failure - he's just really struggled in one of the toughest divisions in the NFL. I can't imagine he'll be without a Head Coaching job for long - so even if the Steelers could convince him to come on board - you'll probably only get him for a year.

Kubiak started his NFL coaching career with the San Francisco 49ers in 1994. As quarterbacks coach, he guided Hall of Famer Steve Young to his best season as a pro. Young was named the NFL MVP for the second time in his career.

Under Kubiak’s tutelage, Young had a career high 70.3 completion percentage. He threw 35 touchdowns, passed for 3,969 yards and set an NFL record with a 112.8 passer rating, a mark that would stand for 10 seasons. Young captured Super Bowl XXIX MVP honors by tossing a record six touchdowns in San Francisco’s 49-26 win over the San Diego Chargers.

In the spring of 1995, Kubiak returned to the Broncos as offensive coordinator, where he would steer Denver to the organization’s best numbers in team history and help lead the team to seven postseason trips and two Super Bowl titles in 11 seasons.

Kubiak began his tenure in Denver as the offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach to his former teammate, Elway. Kubiak made an immediate impact as Elway threw for 3,970 yards, the second-best mark of his Hall of Fame career. Elway increased his touchdown passes from 16 in 1994 to 26 in 1995. During the final four years of his career (1995-98), Elway tossed 101 touchdown passes, second only to Brett Favre in that span.

Houston's Name Fame -

Kyle Shanahan - yeah Mike's son. He's young, but he's certainly had the right teachers when it comes to running an offense (Daddy Mike and Uncle Kubiak). If Houston decides to blow up it's organization and bring in a new group - Kyle could be a free agent. I'm sure Shanahan is looking to become a young Head Coach somewhere - however that may be where his Father is a stumbling block (after all which Shanahan would you rather hire?). However the kid is only 29 years old, so if the Steelers hired him they might be able to squeeze out a few years from him before another team took a chance on making him a Head Coach. I don't know how his age would effect his relationship with someone like Hines Ward or even Ben - but he might be a very solid pick-up.

At age 29, Shanahan is the youngest coordinator in the NFL.

Shanahan’s first year as coordinator was an overwhelming success, as the offense ranked third in the NFL, gaining a franchise-record 6,113 yards and passing for a franchise-record 4,267 yards. The offense was equally adept on the ground, running for 1,846 yards at a team-record 4.3-yard clip. Shanahan helped a pair of players earn Pro Bowl nods, with wide receiver Andre Johnson making his third career trip and tight end Owen Daniels making his first.

One team's trash is another team's treasure

Dirk Koetter - O.C. - Jacksonville - Koetter seems to be a guy with a lot of talent that just continues to show up at the right place at the wrong time. He was the head coach for the ASU Sun Devils for a few seasons and he did relatively well there - however USC just ROLLED during that time. Koetter also coached Boise State for awhile and helped build that program to where it is today. Now he's the OC for a struggling Jacksonville team that really seems to be known mostly for it's running game. But make no mistake Koetter loves to throw the ball - and Ben would be far and away the best QB he's ever worked with, so I could see Koetter being very solid as our O.C.

The problem is two-fold - first I've got to suspect that Koetter would like to be a Head Coach either back in College or in the Pro's very soon - so we wouldn't get him long if he were successful.

The second problem is....he's never really had "great" success anywhere - even as an O.C. - so maybe he's due....then again....maybe there's just something about this guy that ends up being mediocre?

Koetter, known for his expertise of the passing offense, has 27 years of coaching experience. Prior to joining the Jaguars, Koetter spent nine seasons as a head coach at the collegiate level. He previously served as head coach at Arizona State from 2001-06 and at Boise State from 1998-2000.

During Koetter’s stint with the Jaguars from 2007-08, the Jaguars rank 11th in NFL total offense (338.3), sixth in rushing (130.2), ninth in passer rating (88.7), 13th in points per game (22.3) and tied for third with only 21 interceptions thrown.

In his first season with the Jaguars, Koetter directed a record-breaking season by the offense. The Jaguars set the franchise single-season records for points (411, 25.7 avg.), touchdowns (50), touchdown passes (28) and yards per play (5.6). The Jaguars ranked seventh in the NFL in offense (357.4), tied for the second-highest ranking in franchise history. The Jaguars totaled 400-plus yards in a team-record seven games and scored 24 or more points in 10 consecutive games for the first time in team history. Quarterback David Garrard thrived in his first season as the starter as he ranked third in the NFL with a 102.2 passer rating and threw a NFL-low three interceptions. Garrard threw for a career-high 3,620 yards in 2008 including the first two 300-yard games of his career.

Koetter led Arizona State to four bowl games in his six seasons and finished with a 40-34 record. While also serving as offensive coordinator, Koetter helped the Sun Devils average nearly 30 points per game over six seasons and the team was ranked in the top 20 in the nation in passing offense in five of his six seasons.

Greg Olson - O.C. Buccaneers -

Okay sure Tampa has been horrible this season - but Olson has been relatively successful with other teams, and he would come in with experience. I've heard rumors that Tampa is going to start over from scratch with new coaches. We'll see. Greg Olson also worked under Gruden - so his resume may be better than it actually reads.

Olson spent the previous two seasons (2006-2007) as offensive coordinator for the St. Louis Rams. Olson is a veteran of seven years in the NFL and 15 years in the college ranks.

In first season in Tampa Bay in 2008, Olson was part of an offense that ranked 14th in the NFL and ninth in the NFC in total offense. In addition, the Buccaneers featured the 11th-ranked passing offense in the NFL in 2008 as Tampa Bay signal callers passed for 3,788 yards. It marked the second-highest passing yardage total in team history while the 63.2 completion percentage in 2008 ranked third in team history and the 83.8 passer rating by Olson’s unit was the fourth best in team annals. The Buccaneers offense finished the season amassing 5,456 total yards, the highest total in team history, while scoring 361 points, the second-highest total in team annals. Under Olson’s tutelage, QB Jeff Garcia ranked tied for second in the NFL for fewest interceptions (6), ninth in the league and third in the NFC in completion percentage (64.9) and ninth in the NFL and fifth in the NFC in quarterback rating (90.2).

In Olson’s first year with the Rams in 2006, he helped guide a high-powered offense that ranked sixth in the NFL in total offense (360.4 yards per game) and a passing offense that ranked third (247.6 ypg) in the NFC. The Rams ranked second in the NFC and third in the NFL in first downs (332), and scored 273 points in the red zone, second-most in the NFC.

Under Olson’s direction, the 2006 Rams became just the fourth team in NFL history to produce a passer with more than 4,000 yards (QB Marc Bulger), a rusher with more than 1,500 yards (RB Steven Jackson) and two receivers with more than 1,000 yards (Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce). Bulger, Jackson, and Holt were all selected to the Pro Bowl. Bulger also posted career-highs in passing yards (4,301), passing touchdowns (24), passing attempts (588) and completions (370) while ranking second in the NFL in interception percentage (1.4%). He also finished second in the NFL in completions, third in passing yards and fourth in touchdown passes. Jackson also had a career-year in 2006, leading the NFL in yards from scrimmage with 2,334 and he led all NFL running backs with 90 receptions and was fifth in the NFL in rushing yards with 1,528.

Washington Bailouts

Presumably Washington will dump Jim Zorn (former QB and O.C.) and current O.C. Sherman Smith.

Similiar to Gary Kubiak - I think Jim Zorn will be given anothre chance at Head Coach sooner as opposed to later (in fact it wouldn't surprise me if Zorn replaced Kubiak - and possibly vice versa). The Redskins have momentarily destroyed a few coaching careers (Norv Turner, Marty Schottenheimer, Joe Gibbs - the second time) however I think most organizations just roll their eyes at Snyder and pick up the talent.

Jim Zorn would be a great tutor for Ben Roethlisberger and Zorn obviously understands the rushing attack - as Clinton Portis has been one of the few solid offensive players in Zorns tenure.

Sherman Smith (Washington's current O.C.) is more of a Running Attack O.C. however he is familiar with the West Coast kind of offense and he *might be the kind of O.C. that could help Mendenhall and the rushing attack and then kind of stay out of Ben's way - which just might be what Ben wants right now - my question still remains is what Ben wants really best for the Steelers right now? As an aside Sherman Smith also attended Miami of Ohio back in the 80's.

**All of this aside - it's difficult to tell who Mike Tomlin might be familiar with in the lower ranks (Tight Ends / WR / QB Coach - who he might like to promote to O.C.) that's why this first selection could be very difficult to foresee.

L.B.

stlrz d
12-16-2009, 12:53 AM
Nice work LB...thanks for your input.

I've always liked Zorn...do you really think he'll get another HC gig somewhere?

Lonbull
12-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Nice work LB...thanks for your input.

I've always liked Zorn...do you really think he'll get another HC gig somewhere?

Stlrz D -

Yeah I think Zorn will get at least one more shot. The interesting thing going on right now is that there really aren't a lot of available coaches that have Head Coaching experience.

I think both Nick Saben and Bobby Petrino have shown the NFL that coaching College isn't looked as being "lesser than" the NFL anymore. Technically I don't know that it ever was....however I think both Saben and Petrino may have a number of NFL Execs concerned about hiring a former college coach. After all I haven't seen a coach moved up from college to pro since then.

On top of that - there used to be a few coaches who would "develop" talented assistent coaches and other teams would havest those guys. Parcells, Cowher, Belichick - usually you could swipe their assistants - however I think even Belichick's Ball Boy has been made into a Head Coach somewhere - so they seem pretty tapped. Parcells and Cowher are pretty much out of the picture - granted maybe one of the Dolphins assistants are of interest.

I can't imagine an NFL team who would want a mostly "Wildcat" Coordinator - Dan Henning.....who by the way, played QB at William & Mary back in the 60's - what's going on at William & Mary??

With that being written - there aren't a lot of coaches left who have previous coaching experience. Both Bill Cowher and Mike Shanahan had very long runs with their teams - so they may not be in any hurry to return unless the price and the system are right.

Dallas seems right for Shanahan - and I kind of expect that move at the end of the season. I also think Gruden could be brought into Dallas - should be interesting.

Jon Gruden is really the only other coach I can think of that still has a decent reputation - but he may also be a guy willing to wait for the right opportunity to return. After all he seems like he's having a good time on Monday Night Football.

After that though - what's left - Dick Jauron? Wade Phillips (post Dallas)? Mike Martz? Jim Haslett -- who's currently coaching in the UFL!

So yeah I think Zorn will be given at least one more chance - because some GM will figure it's better to give a guy with experience a shot than some of the O.C.'s and D.C.'s I previously mentioned who have never been a Head Coach.

The other thing that Zorn has going for him - is he "should" be good with young QB's and NFL teams are always looking for a guy who works well with a young QB. And he's an Offensive Coordinator - which is another thing in relative high demand.

IMO - he'd make a lot of sense in Buffalo especially if the Bills intend on drafting a QB with their first round pick. However in my book, I would call Kubiak first before Zorn.

Zorn also might work very well in Jacksonville - seeing how their offense is very similiar to Washington's - only hopefully more talented, then again it's a tougher division.

L.B.

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Zorn is 56 years old. I think the only way an owner hires a head coach over 55 is if comes to the interview wearing a Super Bowl ring (like Shanahan, Holmgren, Billick, etc.). With the way things have been going recently in terms of head coaching hires, if you don't have Super Bowl pedigree, then you better be a hotshot coordinator in your late 30's or early 40's.

PSU_dropout43
12-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Mark Whipple.

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2009, 05:33 PM
[quote="stlrz d":2bz40vzx]Since you enjoy keeping an eye on coaches I'd love to see your take on up and comers who could replace BA should he be told to get on with his life's work after this season.
Mark Whipple.[/quote:2bz40vzx]

We will lead the league in 10 yard penalties for "Squeezing the Charmin"

Lonbull
12-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Zorn is 56 years old. I think the only way an owner hires a head coach over 55 is if comes to the interview wearing a Super Bowl ring (like Shanahan, Holmgren, Billick, etc.). With the way things have been going recently in terms of head coaching hires, if you don't have Super Bowl pedigree, then you better be a hotshot coordinator in your late 30's or early 40's.

Ruthlessburgher -

We'll see - Norv Turner, Bill Belichick, Jim Caldwell, Marvin Lewis, Andy Reid, Brad Childress - six of the eight division leading coaches are in their 50's.

Sean Payton and Ken Whisenhunt are in their mid-40's.

Of course Josh McDaniels may counter all of this success because of his good fortune in Denver this season.

And I think you're giving a lot of NFL Organizations the benefit of the doubt that they're looking at "long term" solutions at Head Coach - in general I think that really only applies to Pittsburgh and a handful of teams (maybe the Titans).

In general I think Zorn would still be in the mix if you're considering that there really aren't that many "hotshot" coordinators available right now - IMO a couple of them would need one more season of success before they would be considered for a HC Position.

Dirk Koetter might be the most reasonable selection because he's a former College Head Coach and he's an Offensive Coordinator - but is anybody really impressed with Jacksonville's offense?

Mike Zimmer might be the most prepared right now (of the Coordinators) and he's 54. ** However we'll see if he continues coaching after having lost his wife this past October.

That being written if the Steelers think Zorn is done with his chance at being a Head Coach - I'd certainly like to see him interviewed with Pittsburgh.

L.B.

Lonbull
12-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Mark Whipple.

I thought of him - but Coach Tomlin let him go when he became the new Head Coach and replaced him with Ken Anderson?

So obviously Tomlin didn't think much of Whipple for some reason?

L.B.

Chadman
12-16-2009, 07:18 PM
If the Steelers had an OL that gave Ben time to throw all his passes, and opened up holes for Mendenhall CONSISTANTLY, would we be so down on Arians?

How many times has the play of the OL be directly responsible for an Arians play to blow up?

Be honest.

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2009, 08:42 PM

Ruthlessburgher -

We'll see - Norv Turner, Bill Belichick, Jim Caldwell, Marvin Lewis, Andy Reid, Brad Childress - six of the eight division leading coaches are in their 50's.

Andy Reid was 41 during his first season with the Eagles. Marvin Lewis was 45 when he was hired by the Bengals. Bill Belichick was 48 when he arrived in New England. Brad Childress was 50 during year one in Minnesota. The only guys in that list who were hired in their mid-50's were Norv Turner who was 55 (solid coordinator, but an underachieving head coach) and Jim Caldwell who is 54 (but he was Dungy's heir apparent for some time now, so he was "grandfathered" in :lol: )

Lonbull
12-16-2009, 10:02 PM
If the Steelers had an OL that gave Ben time to throw all his passes, and opened up holes for Mendenhall CONSISTANTLY, would we be so down on Arians?

How many times has the play of the OL be directly responsible for an Arians play to blow up?

Be honest.

Chadman -

First - I'm not suggesting that Arians should be fired, this thread started off as a general NFL kind of thing. Then I just threw in a few considerations should Arians depart.

That being written - I'm not quite sure where the rebuilding needs to begin.

6 points against the Browns is unforgiveable.

In my opinion the Offensive Line has shown some improvement this season, but I think we could definitely use an upgrade on the Offensive Line. So while I agree with you for the most part - I think there's something else that should be considered.

My fear is that Ben is being given too much control of the offense - and that he isn't ready for it.

Another fear is that Ben (for whatever reason) would rather wait for a "big" play to open up then just go ahead and take what the defense is giving him - which is fine some of the times, but with Ben it seems like he does it most of the time.

How many times have we seen Ben immediately throw underneath to a Running Back? Or for that matter go into a three step or five step drop and then immediately pass the ball? (My answer is Not Much)

How many times have we seen Ben simply throw the ball away? (My answer is Not Much)

Ben has got to learn not to take sacks - for the Steelers offense to take the next step, and more importantly for his career to be extended as long as possible.

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady put together have taken less sacks this season than Ben has.

Peyton Manning has played in over 100 more games than Ben has and he's taken less overall sacks.

I realize it's unpopular to critisize a guy who has brought the Steelers two Super Bowls in such a short time, and I will be the first to say that Ben is one of the most gifted gutty Quarterbacks that I've ever seen.

But I think his ego needs to be checked and for someone (either Tomlin, Arians, Rooney, or a new O.C.) to lay down the law with Ben and get him playing a little smarter football.

L.B.

stlrz d
12-16-2009, 11:24 PM
LB - Nice job breaking things down. We agree that we'd both like to see Zorn get a shot if he doesn't get a HC gig elsewhere. He is very cool under pressure and purely in the OC role he has a good understanding of how to call a game and has some imagination and creativity. I think HC/OC was too much for him. He's also a pretty smart guy.

Just an FYI - Gruden did recently extend his contract with ESPN...but I'm sure he has an out clause.

Chadman - My beef with Arians is his lack of creativity, his poor situational play calling and his stubbornness to deviate from the game plan and/or his inability to adjust.

Purely my perception of course. I can't say with any certainty that those things are actually happening.

Slapstick
12-17-2009, 04:45 PM
If Arians is fired:

Ken Anderson would be a possibility to replace him, as previously mentioned.

Jeremy Bates: currently at USC, worked with Jay Cutler in Denver (his firing was part of the reason why Cutler wanted out) and with Mike Tomlin in Tampa Bay. Would probably be a decent candidate for OC or QB coach.

Rip Scherer: from Pittsburgh and cousin to Steelers' GM Kevin Colbert; gave Mike Tomlin his 1st coaching job. Actually got a Pro Bowl season out of Derek Anderson.

ikestops85
12-17-2009, 04:46 PM
I am not sure why Zorn is getting all this love. He was never an OC until the Redskins hired him for that position. Before he could even move to DC they named him head coach. The redskins offense has been HORRIBLE under his leadership which prompted the little dictator (synder) to bring in a consultant to call the plays. The offense has improved greatly since they did that.

Sorry but Zorn would be a really risky choice in my mind.

PSU_dropout43
12-17-2009, 04:58 PM
I am not sure why Zorn is getting all this love. He was never an OC until the Redskins hired him for that position. Before he could even move to DC they named him head coach. The redskins offense has been HORRIBLE under his leadership which prompted the little dictator (synder) to bring in a consultant to call the plays. The offense has improved greatly since they did that.

Sorry but Zorn would be a really risky choice in my mind.

Agreed.

Just say no to Zorn. I'm not sure I'd even want him for QB coach.

Not high on Kenny Anderson, either.