PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu hopes to make season finale

SteelBucks
12-14-2009, 03:41 PM
If this is the case, I'd put him on IR. Why risk it?

Steelers' Polamalu hopes to make season finale
Monday, December 14, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Safety Troy Polamalu hopes to return to play "at least" for the Steelers' final game Jan 3 in Miami.

Polamalu has missed the past four games with a sprained PCL in his left knee. The Nov. 15 injury turned out to be worse than the original prognosis of "day to day," Polamalu said today.

"Yeah, it is, definitely.''

He said he is optimistic he will play again this season.

"Hopefully, within the next couple of weeks or hopefully by the Miami game I'll be able to play," Polamalu said while wearing a brace on his left knee.

Asked again if the Jan. 3 game was his target date to return, Polamalu replied "at least. Hopefully before then.'

With his team almost hopelessly out of the playoff race, why would Polamalu want to return for perhaps one game?

"Why not? I'm a football player. I'm not a coach, I'm not a cheerleader. What I love to do is play football, and to be out there with my brothers. That's why. It's irrelevant of playoffs, it's always been irrelevant for me whether or not we got to the Super Bowl or playoffs; it's something I enjoy."

Polamalu missed games two through five with a sprained MCL to the same knee.

cruzer8
12-14-2009, 04:08 PM
I give him credit for wanting to be out there.

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
12-14-2009, 08:09 PM
I give him credit as well for wanting to be out there but...Just shut it down already Troy, I think ALL of Steeler Nation reailizes just how important you are to this team. Just SHUT IT DOWN and get healthy for the 2010 season, Please!!! I don't want to see #43 until opening day 2010!

pfelix73
12-14-2009, 09:41 PM
I disagree. He needs to play some more this year... that's what he gets paid for.

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
12-14-2009, 11:31 PM
I disagree. He needs to play some more this year... that's what he gets paid for.

So you risk a multi million dollar investment over what? A meaningless non playoff game? If we are competing for a playoff berth then ok go ahead, otherwise shut it down.

grotonsteel
12-14-2009, 11:42 PM
Put him on IR.

No point playing in season finale since season is over.

Shoe
12-15-2009, 02:24 AM
:roll:

How about this--Troy, let's shoot for you coming back for a quarter in the 3rd preseason game next season! Let's not rush back too soon OK? :roll:

stlrz d
12-15-2009, 09:50 AM
:roll:

How about this--Troy, let's shoot for you coming back for a quarter in the 3rd preseason game next season! Let's not rush back too soon OK? :roll:

This ain't rec league. :roll:

pfelix73
12-15-2009, 11:23 AM
If he's my employee making that kind of dough- he plays when he can. Simple as that.

SteelCzar76
12-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Troy's exceptionally honorable. I can relate to and accept that. But at this point i think it would be unwise to risk further injury if he's not 100%.

steelsnis
12-15-2009, 12:04 PM
If he's my employee making that kind of dough- he plays when he can. Simple as that

That's incredibly short-sighted. This isn't some guy working in an IT department somewhere. You can't compare professional athletes and what they are required to do physically with the "normal" 9-5 jobs out there.

The old "for THAT kind of money he BETTER be playing" argument doesn't work.

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Admirable sentiment by Polamalu, who is a warrior on the gridiron. But I would imagine that the coaching staff will take it out of his hands and shut him down for the year as soon as we are officially mathematically eliminated from playoff contention.

frankthetank1
12-15-2009, 01:33 PM
troy is the man but no way should he play this season. if tomlin lets him play this season it would be a big mistake imo. this season is lost why risk another injury? he should start training now as if it was already the offseason. he is only in his late 20's but he has to be really careful of his knees if he wants to play 6 or 7 more years or so.

stlrz d
12-15-2009, 09:34 PM
If he's my employee making that kind of dough- he plays when he can. Simple as that.

Sure glad you're not in charge!

feltdizz
12-15-2009, 09:42 PM
If he's my employee making that kind of dough- he plays when he can. Simple as that

preseason too huh? Last game.. 4th quarter.. Ben get out there.. we don't pay you to stand on the sideline..

LOL!!! unless its playoffs you sit him. Troy WANTING to play is what you want in an employee.

Shoe
12-16-2009, 12:13 AM

I concur.
There is no reason that, if he is deemed healthy, you should sit him. If he is that fragile, then what's the point? And if he does get hurt again anyway--you have eight months to recover.

He should play because he is getting paid (and paid well) to PLAY... not to rest... not to watch games from the sideline... not to play only when the games "matter..."

People want to see him play. Fans pay money, and it's not to see Tyrone Carter play.

stlrz d
12-16-2009, 12:56 AM

I concur.
There is no reason that, if he is deemed healthy, you should sit him. If he is that fragile, then what's the point? And if he does get hurt again anyway--you have eight months to recover.

He should play because he is getting paid (and paid well) to PLAY... not to rest... not to watch games from the sideline... not to play only when the games "matter..."

People want to see him play. Fans pay money, and it's not to see Tyrone Carter play.

Some people just can't see the forest for the trees.

Shoe
12-16-2009, 01:52 AM

Lemme ask you this: should we also sit Ben? After all, two concussions in a season (if he were to incur one in these last three weeks) would be cause for concern. I'm presuming your answer would be yes.

And I think that is ridiculous.
People are not paying good, hard-earned (top-dollar) money to watch Dennis Dixon or Tyrone Carter play. It is hard enough to make people have interest in a so-called meaningless game... but to expect people to pay, waste 4 hours of their time, and not get to see their stars--PEOPLE WANT TO SEE TROY (& BEN) PLAY... and they should, if they can.

stlrz d
12-16-2009, 09:40 AM

Lemme ask you this: should we also sit Ben? After all, two concussions in a season (if he were to incur one in these last three weeks) would be cause for concern. I'm presuming your answer would be yes.

People are not paying good, hard-earned (top-dollar) money to watch Dennis Dixon or Tyrone Carter play. It is hard enough to make people have interest in a so-called meaningless game... but to expect people to pay, waste 4 hours of their time, and not get to see their stars--PEOPLE WANT TO SEE TROY (& BEN) PLAY... and they should, if they can.

Some people can't see the forest for the trees.

There's a bigger picture dude. Put on your big boy pants and quit whining about a player who is not 100% and who shouldn't be out there...because if he was out there you'd be whining that he wasn't making plays.

frankthetank1
12-16-2009, 10:25 AM

going by your logic isnt carter and dixon professionals? are they less of a nfl player than troy and ben? the back ups get paid more than most people in this world. also ben isnt hurt, troy is. big difference

Chadman
12-16-2009, 07:40 PM
If he's FIT, then yeah, let him play. If that knee hasn't healed COMPLETELY- there is no point.

Putting him on IR at this stage is kinda redundant.

Shoe
12-16-2009, 11:22 PM

going by your logic isnt carter and dixon professionals? are they less of a nfl player than troy and ben? the back ups get paid more than most people in this world. also ben isnt hurt, troy is. big difference

"are they less of a nfl play than troy and ben?"

In terms of ability? Yeah, they kinda are. And that's the way playing time is doled out.

As for Ben &/or Troy not being hurt: I didn't say this week. The notion was regarding the final game, in which Troy will be two more weeks along. If he *certanly* couldn't play this year, he should've been IR'd. He wasn't.

That makes me think he was (if not close to playing) somewhere in the 40-90% effectiveness area, where most NFL players reside with regard to in-season health. If he is anywhere on the upper end of that range, he should play IMO.

As for Ben, you say he is healthy. But if he suffers one more concussion, then what? Obviously, that would be a big problem.

I brought Ben's situation into this because so many we like, "rest him. Why risk injury?" My point was, anyone can get injured at anytime. To sit someone just for that reason when there is no practical reason to rest (i.e. if we had a playoff game the follwing wek), that's wrong.