PDA

View Full Version : One sad fan's rational opinion on the Steelers collapse

D Rock
12-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Too young. Too much early success. Too much fame.

Every player and their momma has a radio or television show. Half of this roster walked into the league on a Super Bowl winning team. Almost none of these players have really had to scratch and claw to be champions, they've all been blessed to have incredible talent throughout the roster.

I think they all thought it was their destiny as Pittsburgh Steelers to be a dynasty. If you win one, you'll win some more because you wear the black and gold.

How many players on this team celebrate the most routine plays? I'm looking at you Santonio, Willie Gay, Tyrone Carter.

Porter's kick and Foote's stomp? Only after sacks. Not tackles for a 2 yard gain and passes the receiver dropped. Jerome's rumbling and stumbling chest-pounding whatever he did? After a big run he finished off like a 270 lb RB by crushing a DB. Not by catching a 6 yard out route and stepping out of bounds, and then flexing the twigs that are popping out of your jersey as if you manned up and took it too somebody.

Maybe im just seeing what I want to see, but the last couple years this has been an annoying trend to me. Too many hot heads on this team now. Too much jabbering when they didn't even make a play (Ike).

Act like you've been there before. Because you have. And because you have the talent to be there again. But not because you deserve it.

ramblinjim
12-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Ooof...yeah, well said.

:Clap

SteelAbility
12-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Agreed. It looks like the players are totally expecting to win on reputation.

I did notice something interesting in the Browns' game. After a sack Woodley went and almost did his really poor foot-form karate kick. Then he thought the better of it and just returned to his post. I like that. It shows that at least he is hungry and has looked at things with sober self-reflection. Great play. Better leadership. If that kind of attitude had been going on all season we would be 10-2 or even 11-1.

Northern_Blitz
12-14-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm not a big fan of Holmes' constantly celebrating after every catch. But you can't really call him out. He's one of the few players that's been showing up over the last 5 weeks.

Opponent: Catches/Yards/TD

Cle: 6/93/0 (most catches, most yards)
Oak: 8/149/1 (most catches, most yards, tied most TDs)
Bal: 6/74/1 (most catches, most yards, most TDs)
KC: 7/86/0
Cin: 7/88/0 (most catches, most yards)

Over the last 5 games, when everyone else seems to be packing it in, Santonio has been consistantly productive. He's led the team in catches, and yards in all but one game, and lead in TDs in 3 of the last 5.

Really, the only think not to like about him are the stupid 1st down celebrations (I also think they're over done). But that's pretty minor, IMO.

Holmes has been one of the few who's come to play over the last month. Apparently, he also stood up and announced that he wasn't about to quit just because it looks like they're out of the playoffs. I think he's leading with his play, and it sounds like he's trying to become a vocal leader as well. I hope we can extend him.

feltdizz
12-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Santonio Holmes makes plays.. he can flex and pose all he wants.

The rest I agree with.. Ike should have an INT clause that states he can't say one word until he gets an INT.

I don't even think Carter speaks english.. but he sure runs his trap a lot.

Steelerphile
12-14-2009, 05:58 PM
I'm not a big fan of Holmes' constantly celebrating after every catch. But you can't really call him out. He's one of the few players that's been showing up over the last 5 weeks.

Opponent: Catches/Yards/TD

Cle: 6/93/0 (most catches, most yards)
Oak: 8/149/1 (most catches, most yards, tied most TDs)
Bal: 6/74/1 (most catches, most yards, most TDs)
KC: 7/86/0
Cin: 7/88/0 (most catches, most yards)

Over the last 5 games, when everyone else seems to be packing it in, Santonio has been consistantly productive. He's led the team in catches, and yards in all but one game, and lead in TDs in 3 of the last 5.

Really, the only think not to like about him are the stupid 1st down celebrations (I also think they're over done). But that's pretty minor, IMO.

Holmes has been one of the few who's come to play over the last month. Apparently, he also stood up and announced that he wasn't about to quit just because it looks like they're out of the playoffs. I think he's leading with his play, and it sounds like he's trying to become a vocal leader as well. I hope we can extend him.

I'm glad you pointed this out. Us fans beyotch about a lot but it is time to recognize the season that Holmes has had. He is a league leader at receiver. He is making the tough catch and getting yards after catch. He came in stronger and ready and committed to play well and he has.

Chadman
12-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Excellent points made by all- hard to point out any one poster that deserves the thumbs up more than another- so just accept a collective thumbs up.

:tt2

stlrz d
12-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Got news for you...this isn't a Steelers thing, it's a league wide thing.

Players on good and bad teams alike celebrate the most routine of plays as if they just won the championship. Players on good and bad teams alike flap their gums continuously. It's a reflection of today's society.

Here's a little clue for when I first started noticing this change to society.

http://suchabastard.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/jerry-springer.jpg

So sad that typing "jerry" into google brings up "jerry springer" as the first result.

It should be little Jerry Seinfeld. :D

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/profile_images/90306/little-jerry-seinfeld.jpg

Captain Lemming
12-15-2009, 04:58 PM
I think WE all thought it was their destiny as Pittsburgh Steelers to be a dynasty. If you win one, you'll win some more because you wear the black and gold.

There, I fixed it for you.

feltdizz
12-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Got news for you...this isn't a Steelers thing, it's a league wide thing.

Players on good and bad teams alike celebrate the most routine of plays as if they just won the championship. Players on good and bad teams alike flap their gums continuously. It's a reflection of today's society.

Here's a little clue for when I first started noticing this change to society.

http://suchabastard.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/jerry-springer.jpg

So sad that typing "jerry" into google brings up "jerry springer" as the first result.

It should be little Jerry Seinfeld. :D

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/profile_images/90306/little-jerry-seinfeld.jpg

Jerry Springer D? Naw... It started with Joe Namath's white shoes and the fur coat. Dude changed the game once he did that and won the big game.

actually... I think most fans have no idea how much yapping goes on between plays. Do you really think Lambert just did his job and never said a word? Mike Ditka? These guys talked trash we just didn't have a million camera's and replays and slow motion.

They didn't do the dances but I think it has always been a part of football. No way you just get up and go back to the huddle after cracking the rib of a player who was talking trash all day.

stlrz d
12-15-2009, 09:41 PM
They did it a lot differently back then. I've been watching football a long time.

feltdizz
12-15-2009, 09:57 PM
They did it a lot differently back then. I've been watching football a long time.

NFL films dude...
players used to moonwalk, MOONWALK!!! remember the backflips.. dance routines that involved 4 players? Redskins had classic celebrations.. Dolphins used to do some good ones too...

49ers had the long neck dude who did the weird turkey dance...
The spike and leg wobble was the one I copied in pick up games...

Ickey shuffle... c'mon..

players have always showboated but it used to be for TD's or INT's or sacks.

The only thing different way back was the lack of 40 camera's and mic's all over the field.
There was never a football game where players just played the game and didn't talk smack..

except for Army Navy..

stlrz d
12-15-2009, 10:02 PM
The true difference is players back then did it for TDs or INTs or sacks...you got that right.

Today they celebrate everything.