PDA

View Full Version : Lead Fullback - I really miss it...

RussBII
12-14-2009, 10:18 AM
I know this has been beaten to death, but it's already dead so it can take a few more hits.

I casually watched football yesterday, but just about everytime I paid serious attention you'd see a power running play with a lead fullback. Or a quick dive to a FB, or a FB out in the flat catching the ball and rumbling for 4 or 5.

I really really miss it. I hope that if/when Arians leaves the new OC is a power football kinda guy.

Oviedo
12-14-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm OK with more two back sets but no way do I want to go back to Cowher ball.

I like the idea of TEs playing FB and IMO it can work but we just don't use it enough. David Johnson has done well as a rookie in that role.

RussBII
12-14-2009, 10:58 AM

I like the idea of TEs playing FB and IMO it can work but we just don't use it enough. David Johnson has done well as a rookie in that role.

I was thinking of this in more of a situational thing. The empty back set on 3rd down has me depressed. There's not even the threat of a run there... ya know?

And we have two good pass catching TEs. Include a FB who can catch and you have 3 legit threats out on what appears to be a sure running formation.

Oviedo
12-14-2009, 11:06 AM

I was thinking of this in more of a situational thing. The empty back set on 3rd down has me depressed. There's not even the threat of a run there... ya know?

And we have two good pass catching TEs. Include a FB who can catch and you have 3 legit threats out on what appears to be a sure running formation.

Empty back sets don't work because it is a blitz alert for defense and Ben WILL NOT get rid of the ball quickly to his TEs for a 4-5 yard gain.

RussBII
12-14-2009, 11:52 AM

Empty back sets don't work because it is a blitz alert for defense and Ben WILL NOT get rid of the ball quickly to his TEs for a 4-5 yard gain.

Yeah, that's why being able to pass out of a run formation would be pretty nifty. Hell even being able to run out of a run formation would be sweet.