PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else find it funny

stlrz d
12-14-2009, 10:04 AM
that last year when we were winning there were "post your favorite Tomlinism" threads...and now that we're having a down season everyone is ripping on those Tomlinisms as just being empty talk, rhetoric, etc?

I sure do.

Such fickle fans some of you are. I guess when a team is the most successful team of the SB era you'll get fans that just expect the team to walk into the playoffs each and every season. And when that doesn't happen they attack every thing about the organization, staff and players...whining and crying like spoiled brats.

Enjoy the success and think of the failures as bumps in the road to success next season.

Suck it up buttercups.

Everyone likes a winner but nobody likes a whiner.

stlrz d
12-14-2009, 10:07 AM
And before this turns into a "he promised to make wholesale changes in the lineup" thread.

If he had done that and we lost the fickle crowd would be screaming that we still had a shot at the playoffs and he benched starters just to prove a point.

He made a few subtle changes and rotated some guys in and we lost...so the cries are that he didn't make changes.

So don't bother with that one.

JAR
12-14-2009, 10:14 AM
:Clap

Jooser
12-14-2009, 10:29 AM
With success comes praise...with failure comes..... (you put your opinion here D)

Please tell us how we're supposed to feel.

You obviously know better than all of us how we're supposed to deal with this.

Please fill in the blank and let us know.

When we were winning, those Tomlin-isms were amusing.

When we're losing, they don't hold much merit, do they?

You can't call me a racist or a troll. I'm here every day, whether we win or not. I'm having a hard time swallowing MT's bs right now, as are several other board members. When we are winning, it's always great to read the cute words and love them. Count me there with everyone else. But, let's face it, this team has fallen apart at the seams, and Tomlin-isms simply don't answer any questions, nor do they ease any pain at this point. Ease back on the judgements, this is a difficult season for everyone, and just because people are questioning MT's comment doesn't make them a hater or even fickle for that matter. So far, MT hasn't backed up his words with action. If he unloads some unwanted baggage in the offseason, many folks here will breathe much better in regards to him.

Sincerely,
Joos

ramblinjim
12-14-2009, 10:34 AM
I think anytime our team is 6-7 it's easy to asses blame and bad mouth the coach, I know I've done it more than once. There is plenty of blame to go around too, part of the coach's job is to stem the tide when things start to get bad and this coaching staff hasn't been able to do that this year. Now, if we turn around blow out Green Bay, Baltimore and Miami the next three weeks then you can say that the coaches were able to (finally!) get it done. It will be too little too late but they could take a three game winning streak into next year.

I still think that it's time to play the kids, or work them heavily into the rotation to see what we'll have for next year. But that's just me and there is a reason no one has ever hired me to coach an NFL team.

D Rock
12-14-2009, 10:35 AM
This isn't just a bad season, or a down season.

This is a Super Bowl winning roster coming back and losing to the three...yes, count them...1, 2, and 3....WORST teams in the AFC.

And beating teams that could very likely be the Super Bowl matchup.

If that lack of consistency and desire doesn't put some blood on the hands of the coaching staff then I don't know what does.

D Rock
12-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Oh..forgot this part...

Tomlinisms are fun when the team is winning because they don't give any information to the other teams. And we as fans don't desire any information because we get to see the team win every week.

Tomlinisms suck when the team is losing because the other teams don't need any extra information to beat the Steelers. And we as fans want a reason why our champions are playing like the worst team in the league, but we aren't getting even a hint of explanation.

Jooser
12-14-2009, 11:00 AM
so basically Tomlin-isms suck when we're having a losing season.

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu266/jabels805/obama-hope-fading.jpg

SteelAbility
12-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Welcome to NFL overreaction Nation where you are only as good as your last game. Sometimes only as good as your last play in the minds of some.

I can't put this on Tomlin. I do put it on the players. In just about every loss we have had there are several plays you could point to, even one of which going our way would have resulted in a W. Either that or just ONE easy play ...

CIN Sweed's drop; 4th and 10 converted
CHI Multiple wide open drops by Santonio
KC Miller's miss resulting in an INT (up 17-10 and driving at mid-field)
BAL 3rd and 22 followed by 4th and 5 followed by 1st and goal
OAK Easy drop right on the numbers by Burnett

Jooser
12-14-2009, 11:14 AM
This thread isn't about putting 'blame' on Tomlin. It's about how his cute little phrases aren't so cute when the Steelers are losing to lo level teams.

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2009, 11:24 AM
What he says to the media is supposed to be empty words. It's the freaking media. He said what he really meant to the media once, and it was very early on before one game was even played (his assessment of Darrelle Revis prior to his first draft shortly after he was hired), and that came back to bite him in the @$$. He's learned from that experience. Since then, he has spewed rhetoric to the media that really says nothing.

Although as a fan, I would like to be able to get more real information out of him for my own person consumption, I am smart enough to realize that the more intelligent thing to do from a strategy standpoint is to sound good saying nothing publicly, so that you don't let opponents know anything about your plans whatsoever.

We have no idea what he says to his players and staff in private. Those are the words that need to mean something...not the pointless drivel that is spewed to the talking heads with microphones.

cruzer8
12-14-2009, 11:34 AM
For those who say they're nice when we win but they stink when we lose: What would you have him say? Do you want him to go on an idiotic Mora-like tirade? Denny Greene anyone?

Just curios. I think Tomlin takes the perfect approach with the media and that's why the Rooneys hired him. He gave every indication that he would be cool under pressure.

Enjoy it while it's good and discuss it like adults when it's bad. I think that's what the OP is trying to say.

Jooser
12-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Hey look, it's all about perception. And, wow, oddly enough, the season's success weighs heavily on that perception. His cute little sayings are, well, cute when we're winning. But, they lack substance when we're losing. Go figure. I suppose I'm just a troll. oink, oink :o

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Hey look, it's all about perception. And, wow, oddly enough, the season's success weighs heavily on that perception. His cute little sayings are, well, cute when we're winning. But, they lack substance when we're losing. Go figure. I suppose I'm just a troll. oink, oink :o

I don't think you are a troll. Trolls don't oink. :wink:

flippy
12-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Gotta back up what you say. If we're winning, he's backing it up. If we're losing the words are empty.

It's not like Tomlin's this rock that's been here outperforming for years. He's not Noll. He's not even Cowher.

The jury is still out on Tomlin. Is he the real deal or not? And that seems like a fair question to me.

So far he's been able to accomplish about as much as Jon Gruden. Taking over someone else's team and getting them to the SuperBowl.

What's next?

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2009, 11:57 AM
So far he's been able to accomplish about as much as Jon Gruden. Taking over someone else's team and getting them to the SuperBowl.

What's next?

Color commentator in the MNF booth? :stirpot

Child's Play Part 5 staring Omar Epps? :lol:

Jooser
12-14-2009, 12:35 PM

Am I a troll minus the oink then?

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2009, 01:07 PM

C'mon, now...we all know that you are a bulldog puppy (who oinks for some reason). :P

cruzer8
12-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Gotta back up what you say. If we're winning, he's backing it up. If we're losing the words are empty.

It's not like Tomlin's this rock that's been here outperforming for years. He's not Noll. He's not even Cowher.

The jury is still out on Tomlin. Is he the real deal or not? And that seems like a fair question to me.

What's next?

He says the same things to the media win or lose. That's what cool under fire coaches do.

Tomlin has made the playoffs two out of 3 seasons, and won a championship. He's done it with rosters that were different than what Cowher had.

He's a fine coach and the Steelers are fortunate to have him.

feltdizz
12-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Nothing wrong with calling out Tomlin in a losing season(for right now at 6-7)... especially for the unleashing hell before 2 losses to 2 very bad teams.

However the talk of HC coaching changes and Cowhers players is foolish... dude won a SB and made the playoffs 2 out of 3 years. I'm almost lead to believe those who want Tomlin fired never wanted him to begin with or are not "real fans" because that type of move would be a disaster for the team.

Tomlin should have benched players like he said he would though.... nothing worse then a HC who doesn't back his threats.

Jooser
12-14-2009, 03:55 PM

C'mon, now...we all know that you are a bulldog puppy (who oinks for some reason). :P

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/bulldog6.gif http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/doggy.gif

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t73/LadyLunaSea/Comics/10a1e58.jpg

cruzer8
12-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Nothing wrong with calling out Tomlin in a losing season(for right now at 6-7)... especially for the unleashing hell before 2 losses to 2 very bad teams.

However the talk of HC coaching changes and Cowhers players is foolish... dude won a SB and made the playoffs 2 out of 3 years. I'm almost lead to believe those who want Tomlin fired never wanted him to begin with or are not "real fans" because that type of move would be a disaster for the team.

Tomlin should have benched players like he said he would though.... nothing worse then a HC who doesn't back his threats.

I don't recall reading anything where he actually said he was going to bench any starters. Do you have a link to anything like that?

feltdizz
12-14-2009, 04:44 PM

I don't recall reading anything where he actually said he was going to bench any starters. Do you have a link to anything like that?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09342/1019170-66.stm?cmpid=MOSTEMAILEDBOX

Tomlin quickly mentioned his two rookie cornerbacks as most likely to benefit from a change in lineup. Joe Burnett, who dropped an interception that would have staved off Oakland's comeback victory drive with 40 seconds left Sunday, probably will start at left cornerback, whether William Gay (concussion) can play or not.

"It's going to be Joe Burnett," Tomlin said. "Keenan Lewis is going to get an opportunity to play. We want to see both of those guys. They're young guys; they've been working. We want to see both of those guys play."

He said enough to give the impression changes would be made and the current play was unacceptable... I think this kind of Tomlinism is frustrating to some.

He indicated that veteran starting cornerback Ike Taylor might be affected in a shake-up.

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2009, 04:46 PM

Tomlin quickly mentioned his two rookie cornerbacks as most likely to benefit from a change in lineup. Joe Burnett, who dropped an interception that would have staved off Oakland's comeback victory drive with 40 seconds left Sunday, probably will start at left cornerback, whether William Gay (concussion) can play or not.

"It's going to be Joe Burnett," Tomlin said. "Keenan Lewis is going to get an opportunity to play. We want to see both of those guys. They're young guys; they've been working. We want to see both of those guys play."

He said enough to give the impression changes would be made and the current play was unacceptable... I think this kind of Tomlinism is frustrating to some.

He indicated that veteran starting cornerback Ike Taylor might be affected in a shake-up.

And to find out that Keenan Lewis was deactivated after that was disappointing. At least Burnett saw the field more than usual, though.

Wolfhound45
12-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Suck it up buttercups.

"Are you crackin' wise? I ought to punch you in the nose, hopscotch."

http://www.celebritywonder.com/picture/Mickey_Rooney/MIckeyRooney_Spellman_11920450.jpg

http://www.moviewavs.com/Movies/Night_A ... useum.html (http://www.moviewavs.com/Movies/Night_At_The_Museum.html)

:P

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2009, 10:06 PM
You gotta love Mickey Rooney in that role.

My son quotes him like crazy after watching Night at the Museum.

Listen up, Lunch Box!

Do you want the job or not, Snack Shack?

Sweet dreams, Cupcake.

Sleep tight, Hotshot.

Keep a lid on it, Butterscotch.

Do you want to dance, Hot Dog?

Look here, Hopscotch!

Although my daughter prefers quoting the Easter Island Head.

Me no dum-dum. You dum-dum. You bring me gum-gum?

Oh, you in trouble, Dum-dum. You'd better run-run. From Attila the Hun-hun.

This weekend, I bought them Night at the Museum 2 for Christmas. My wife took them to see it in the theaters when it was out, but I have not seen it yet. Is Mickey Rooney in the second one as well?

stlrz d
12-14-2009, 10:17 PM

Not very definitive.

Wolfie - Funny! I didn't care for that movie at all, but he was great in it.

Wolfhound45
12-15-2009, 12:07 AM
You gotta love Mickey Rooney in that role.

My son quotes him like crazy after watching Night at the Museum.

[quote]Listen up, Lunch Box!

Do you want the job or not, Snack Shack?

Sweet dreams, Cupcake.

Sleep tight, Hotshot.

Keep a lid on it, Butterscotch.

Do you want to dance, Hot Dog?

Look here, Hopscotch!

Although my daughter prefers quoting the Easter Island Head.

Me no dum-dum. You dum-dum. You bring me gum-gum?

Oh, you in trouble, Dum-dum. You'd better run-run. From Attila the Hun-hun.

This weekend, I bought them Night at the Museum 2 for Christmas. My wife took them to see it in the theaters when it was out, but I have not seen it yet. Is Mickey Rooney in the second one as well?[/quote:199h2x71]

He cracks me up throughout the movie. Too funny. I hate to spoil it for you, but he is not in the second movie. However, I think it is pretty good though.

feltdizz
12-15-2009, 01:56 AM

Not very definitive.

Wolfie - Funny! I didn't care for that movie at all, but he was great in it.

Not very definitive is the perfect description for this thread. Moderator please close this thread because the riddle has been solved. Tomlin was not very definitive after a 4 game slide and left enough wiggle room to finess a 5th loss with the stellar CB play.

It actually is kinda funny...